PDA

View Full Version : Tibbit vs Whisper Gnome

Azoth
2012-06-21, 02:00 PM
I may be going mad...but I honestly do not see why the Tibbit is considered a better race than whisper gnome. If someone could please explain it to me I would be eternally grateful.

Psyren
2012-06-21, 02:13 PM
I wouldn't say they're "better" - both are pretty good choices for a sneaky type - but Tibbits do have some pros:

1) Monstrous Humanoid = immunity to "person" spells and expanded choices for Alter Self
2) No cha penalty for facerogues
3) Scent in cat form
4) Able to become Tiny (i.e. huge bonuses to stealth); doing so also boosts their speed back to 30ft.
5) Natural attacks in cat form for sneak attack
6) Nice skill bonuses (Spot, Jump, Escape Artist)
7) Shapeshifter subtype

In addition, while they can't cast spells in cat form, they have no restriction against psionics. So I personally rate them higher as far as Psychic Rogues or other sneaky psionics.

Whisper Gnomes of course have advantages of their own:

1) Con bonus
2) 30ft. move despite being Small
3) Useful SLAs (though keep in mind you need Cha 10 after your penalty to use them)
4) Low-light AND Darkvision
5) More bonuses to Listen and Move Silently (the Hide and Spot bonuses are countered by the Tibbit's cat form.)

So it comes down to preference really.

Tyndmyr
2012-06-21, 02:15 PM
I don't consider them necessarily better...but it's amazing how often people don't suspect the cat of being anything other than a cat.

Darth Stabber
2012-06-21, 05:31 PM
I don't consider them necessarily better...but it's amazing how often people don't suspect the cat of being anything other than a cat.

Pretty much this.

Better at stealth, because even it they are caught, all the enemy found was a cat. In a world where cats are even modeately common it wouldn't arouse any suspicion. Cats sneak around all the time, and domestic cats do it just to do it. Plus you knock out the hard part of qualifying for warshaper right off the bat.