PDA

View Full Version : Druid Power Dampener [PF]

ExemplarofAvg
2012-06-21, 05:53 PM
TooLong;Won'tRead
I'm looking for a way to hinder a druids power but able to bring it back should dire needs arise (ala He-Man's "I Have the Power", Dragonball-Z's "Super-Saiyan" or what have you) Without resorting to armour as the 24 hour time frame to reboot is unappealing.

At least looking for a way to dampen a NPC's Wisdom score. Technically an Urban Druid Police Chief of sorts who has sworn off his oath to nature completely and wears real armour is going to be fighting alongside the PCs in a huge attempt by the criminal underground to take over the city, so he's going to put down the armour, sword and shield. And waltz into the battle with nothing but a scythe and his spells, gung-ho sword and sorcery or what have you.

However I've somewhat grown fond of him (He's the standard gruff police chief, however he on occasion melts back into his earth loving persona by contemplating the clouds, finding food to give to stray animals. In his case he turned from a Druid to an Urban Druid) And I plan to give the PCs the option to add him as a permanent NPC so I'm trying to think of ways that he can use to distance himself from nature and his druidic abilities.

Mari01
2012-06-21, 06:39 PM
TooLong;Won'tRead
I'm looking for a way to hinder a druids power but able to bring it back should dire needs arise (ala He-Man's "I Have the Power", Dragonball-Z's "Super-Saiyan" or what have you) Without resorting to armour as the 24 hour time frame to reboot is unappealing.

At least looking for a way to dampen a NPC's Wisdom score. Technically an Urban Druid Police Chief of sorts who has sworn off his oath to nature completely and wears real armour is going to be fighting alongside the PCs in a huge attempt by the criminal underground to take over the city, so he's going to put down the armour, sword and shield. And waltz into the battle with nothing but a scythe and his spells, gung-ho sword and sorcery or what have you.

However I've somewhat grown fond of him (He's the standard gruff police chief, however he on occasion melts back into his earth loving persona by contemplating the clouds, finding food to give to stray animals. In his case he turned from a Druid to an Urban Druid) And I plan to give the PCs the option to add him as a permanent NPC so I'm trying to think of ways that he can use to distance himself from nature and his druidic abilities.

Not to nitpck, but if he completely swore off nature, he wouldnt be a druid still.

CTrees
2012-06-21, 06:42 PM
Custom Bestow Curse with an off switch?

ExemplarofAvg
2012-06-21, 06:54 PM
Not to nitpck, but if he completely swore off nature, he wouldnt be a druid still.

It's fine to nitpick, he swore it off but the past still happened. He still has his abilities, he swore of nature it didn't swear off him it knew him to deep down be loyal to it.

Custom Bestow Curse with an off switch?
Hmm, like a Ring of Bestow Curse? That could work, the −6 to an ability score would reduce his wisdom to 12 making him unable to cast many of his spells. And I could just have him not use his abilities, but he'd still feel the presence of the spirit of nature within him and he doesn't want that anymore (Very long story) Hmm, maybe I could DM fiat that wearing some smaller metal item could limit his druidic abilities only while in contact. Does that sound reasonable?

hiryuu
2012-06-21, 08:00 PM
It's fine to nitpick, he swore it off but the past still happened. He still has his abilities, he swore of nature it didn't swear off him it knew him to deep down be loyal to it.

Well, you know. If bees build hives and beavers build dams, it's perfectly natural for sentient creatures to build cities and farms. It's what they do. I always imagine a druid like this to sound kind of like Jack Tenrec (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9c2K4Jl5LI) when he talks: humans need farms and settlements and domesticated animals, and it's excess and ignorance that's the problem, not the city itself.

Could make it a feat. Or feat series. "Metalsworn" or something.

CTrees
2012-06-22, 07:46 AM
Hmm, maybe I could DM fiat that wearing some smaller metal item could limit his druidic abilities only while in contact. Does that sound reasonable?

You could fiat that wildshape doesn't affect metal, and make it, say, a metal belt of Bestow Curse. The belt wouldn't count as armor, and thus wouldn't trigger the 24hr delay, but it would certainly stop him from using any wildshape forms larger than himself. Give him a domain instead of an animal companion and you've covered every major ability with one easily removeable item (things like trackless step... who cares).

ExemplarofAvg
2012-06-22, 04:07 PM
You could fiat that wildshape doesn't affect metal, and make it, say, a metal belt of Bestow Curse. The belt wouldn't count as armor, and thus wouldn't trigger the 24hr delay, but it would certainly stop him from using any wildshape forms larger than himself. Give him a domain instead of an animal companion and you've covered every major ability with one easily removeable item (things like trackless step... who cares).

An Urban druid automatically gets a domain rather than a companion.
Hmm, actually the metal stops all supernatural abilities. So if I use the less metal lowers the time period fiat then all is well.