View Full Version : Magic items to grant fabricate, and magic quivers?

britefire
2012-06-21, 11:20 PM
I'm looking to roll up a rogue-type character that specializes in poisons, but had two questions before I proceed.

1: Are there any ways to gain access to the spell Fabricate as a Rogue?

2: Are there any forms of magic quivers, besides the efficiant quiver, for storing more arrows/bolts/etc? Or perhaps even some form of quiver that adds some property to the ammunition?

Uhtred
2012-06-21, 11:36 PM
Not sure about the spell, maybe a wand of fabricate exists?
As for quivers, the Quiver of Energy in the Magic Item Compendium bestows a d6 of a chosen energy type on its ammunition, although simply enchanting the bow may be more economical.
The Quiver of Ehlonna in the DMG is like a Bag of Holding, but stores arrows, javelin-sized weapons, AND spear-sized weapons (including your bow!)

britefire
2012-06-21, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the help with the quivers, not sure if a wand of fabricate is possible, though I'm not to familiar with crafting wands, and their may be some way for it to be possible.

TuggyNE
2012-06-22, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the help with the quivers, not sure if a wand of fabricate is possible, though I'm not to familiar with crafting wands, and their may be some way for it to be possible.

It's a fifth-level spell, and wands only go up to 4th for whatever reason. Use scrolls if you have to?

Also, what are you planning to make with fabricate? Will minor creation (Sor/Wiz 4, wandable) do instead?

britefire
2012-06-22, 12:54 AM
I would actually be fabricating poisons if I could find a relatively cheap source of fabricate, though at this point it looks like it would be cheaper to simply buy the poisons. I managed to get Psionic Minor Creation from the "Hidden Talent" feat in Expanded Psionics, and was hoping to use it and fabricate together to craft plant-based poisons.

Aeryr
2012-06-22, 01:00 AM
You are probably better suited with psionic minor creation, instead of fabricate, you won't need material components that way.

There is a quiver of endless arrows somewhere in the dragon magazine compendium if I remember correctly.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-06-22, 01:06 AM
Get a Dorje (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/dorjes.htm) (psionic wand) of Psionic Minor Creation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/minorCreationPsionic.htm).

TuggyNE
2012-06-22, 01:34 AM
I would actually be fabricating poisons if I could find a relatively cheap source of fabricate, though at this point it looks like it would be cheaper to simply buy the poisons. I managed to get Psionic Minor Creation from the "Hidden Talent" feat in Expanded Psionics, and was hoping to use it and fabricate together to craft plant-based poisons.

As others have mentioned, you don't actually need fabricate for this; PMC will do the whole thing itself. Make sure to boost your skill check enough.

britefire
2012-06-22, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the help, somehow I missed the part about allowing complex items, that will allow poisons to be fairly easy to access!

Vizzerdrix
2012-06-22, 11:31 PM
Can't you get Fabricate from one of the Greater Dragonmarks? :smallconfused:

Alleran
2012-06-22, 11:38 PM
You can also look at scepters. They go up to 7th level spells.

Curmudgeon
2012-06-23, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the help, somehow I missed the part about allowing complex items, that will allow poisons to be fairly easy to access!
You'll still need to make the Craft (poisonmaking) check once you create the materials. See Drow of the Underdark on page 46.

britefire
2012-06-23, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the information about scepters, which book are they from? Dragonmarks didn't look like an option as my character doesn't meet the prerequisites to take the feat.

Is there a way to gain get a new class-skill, such as an item or feat, specifically to get Use Psionic Device on your class list?

Right now I'm considering attempting to find (or steal, if I get a chance :smalltongue: ) a dorje of fabricate to use.

TuggyNE
2012-06-24, 01:22 AM
You'll still need to make the Craft (poisonmaking) check once you create the materials. See Drow of the Underdark on page 46.

If I'm not mistaken, the Craft check is made as part of the spell/power and doesn't take as long as it normally would.

Is there a way to gain get a new class-skill, such as an item or feat, specifically to get Use Psionic Device on your class list?

Right now I'm considering attempting to find (or steal, if I get a chance :smalltongue: ) a dorje of fabricate to use.

Again: you don't need psionic fabricate, PMC will do the job all by itself.

Agent 451
2012-06-24, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the information about scepters, which book are they from?

They are in Lost Empires of Faerun.

Edit: The main write-up is on Page 153, The Craft Scepter feat is on page 8.

Curmudgeon
2012-06-24, 04:41 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the Craft check is made as part of the spell/power and doesn't take as long as it normally would.
You may well be mistaken; that's up to your DM. The point is that neither the power nor the referenced spell address the crafting time.
As the minor creation spell, except as noted here.
You create a nonmagical, unattended object of nonliving, vegetable matter. The volume of the item created cannot exceed 1 cubic foot per caster level. You must succeed on an appropriate skill check to make a complex item, such as Craft (bowmaking) check to make straight arrow shafts. Not the conspicuous lack of any statement like "This skill check is made as part of the casting." Since the text does not provide this information, the determination will be made by your individual DM. The default time for Craft checks is given by the following rule:
Action: Does not apply. Craft checks are made by the day or week (see above). You're getting the materials for free. Whether you get faster crafting as well will be decided by each DM. My own preference is to hew closely to the RAW: spells and powers do only what is stated in their descriptions, and have no capabilities beyond what is written. That would mean Psionic Minor Creation will provide poisonmaking materials for free, but would not change the Craft (poisonmaking) check.

britefire
2012-06-26, 01:16 PM
Thank you for all the help everyone, and the fabricate would probably be for ammunition, and maybe non-plant based poisons.

Tyndmyr
2012-06-26, 01:28 PM
It's a fifth-level spell, and wands only go up to 4th for whatever reason. Use scrolls if you have to?

Technically, Sanctum Spell fixes that, if your lactose-tolerance is high enough.

gorfnab
2012-06-26, 01:32 PM
2: Are there any forms of magic quivers, besides the efficiant quiver, for storing more arrows/bolts/etc? Or perhaps even some form of quiver that adds some property to the ammunition?
Quiver of Plenty (Dragon Compendium page 139)

Quiver of Anariel

Quiver of Anariel:Quivers of Anariel appear to be typical arrow containers capable of holding a score of arrows. However, the quivers automatically replenish themselves with standard or magical arrows, such that they are always full. Some quivers also create arrows made of special materials, such as adamantine, cold iron, or alchemical silver.

Once an arrow it taken from the quiver, it must be used within 1 round or it vanishes.

Moderate conjuration; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, magic weapon, minor creation; Price 28,000 gp (standard arrows), 29,000 gp (masterwork arrows), 32,000 gp (+1 arrows), 44,000 gp (+2 arrows), 64,000 gp (+3 arrows), 92,000 gp (+4 arrows), 128,000 gp (+5 arrows); Add an additional +6,000 gp for adamantine arrows, +4,005 gp for cold iron arrows, or +200 gp for alchemical silver arrows; Weight 1 lb.
Thankfully someone saved this article here (http://crpp0001.uqtr.ca/w4/campagne/Downloads/Downloads_WotC/The Lone Drow Companions of the Hall.htm) since WOTC decided to delete the original posting.