PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming 3.5

Lohj
2012-06-22, 01:23 AM
Flat out saying this: I've recently come into some free time, and just thought of this idea: Does anyone have any classes they want to be made?
Give me an idea, and I'll go to work. All credit for originality will go to you.
Anyone else who wants to do it, go right ahead. I'm new to this, and again, free time is exploding. First come first serve basis.
If you find this weird, welcome to the real world. People like me exists, and we are far more dangerous than any Lovecraftian horror.

Eldest
2012-06-22, 01:36 AM
Perhaps another kind of spontaneous, fixed list mage, similar to the Beguiler and Dread Necromancer, focused on either Conjugation or Transmutation? It's something I've been thinking about vaguely for a little while, but I don't think I have the system mastery to make either class yet.

TuggyNE
2012-06-22, 01:43 AM
Well, it's not a class, but I have a vague idea for a new, somewhat silly Inevitable: The Squarut, which punishes those who attempt to (ab)use science.

I would write it up myself, but can't quite figure out what abilities to give it.

bobthe6th
2012-06-22, 01:51 AM
A T3 caster similar to the beguiler/dread necromancer focused on abjuration based spell denile and general battle field control.

JeminiZero
2012-06-22, 02:36 AM
Perhaps another kind of spontaneous, fixed list mage, similar to the Beguiler and Dread Necromancer, focused on either Conjugation or Transmutation? It's something I've been thinking about vaguely for a little while, but I don't think I have the system mastery to make either class yet.

Jiriku's Summoner (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239085) and Shapeshifter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181483) might be of interest to you.

The-Mage-King
2012-06-22, 02:56 AM
A T3 caster similar to the beguiler/dread necromancer focused on abjuration based spell denile and general battle field control.

What? No love for my Barrier Mage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177861)? Walls, counterspells... It's got what you want. :smalltongue:

Morph Bark
2012-06-22, 06:34 AM
An elementalist caster that, rather than using just Fire, Earth, Water or Air, instead combines them into other elemental combinations. It does this by opening rift tunnels through the Astral to the elemental planes through their eyes, thus limiting them from combining more than two elements at once.

Lohj
2012-06-22, 01:52 PM
Well, it's not a class, but I have a vague idea for a new, somewhat silly Inevitable: The Squarut, which punishes those who attempt to (ab)use science.

I would write it up myself, but can't quite figure out what abilities to give it.

Hrum. I am unsure of what you mean by Inevitable. Could you give me more of an example, or link me something that would help?

Lohj
2012-06-22, 01:54 PM
An elementalist caster that, rather than using just Fire, Earth, Water or Air, instead combines them into other elemental combinations. It does this by opening rift tunnels through the Astral to the elemental planes through their eyes, thus limiting them from combining more than two elements at once.

I will get to work on it.
Would you prefer a cooldown type deal for its abilities, or simply a once per day per ability score modifier?
And, would you want it to be replication of already made spells (Fireball, Otluke's frozen Sphere, Lighting Bolt, Earthquake), or something new?
Finally, I'm guessing this class will have Plane Shift, except to earth/elemental planes.

Madara
2012-06-22, 02:07 PM
I'm tempted to hijack someone's idea, are there any that you don't plan on doing, since I notice there are a lot of requests?

The-Mage-King
2012-06-22, 02:26 PM
Hrum. I am unsure of what you mean by Inevitable. Could you give me more of an example, or link me something that would help?

Inevitable (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/inevitable.htm). Robot outsiders of pure Law.

A few of the later MM's have some.

As for ideas...

I've got none. :smalltongue:

Draz74
2012-06-22, 02:35 PM

So, it would be totally overpowered if a Beholder or some sort of arachnid took levels in it? :smallamused:

Lohj
2012-06-22, 02:39 PM
So, it would be totally overpowered if a Beholder or some sort of arachnid took levels in it? :smallamused:

Imagine multiclassing with this:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246585

Lohj
2012-06-22, 02:40 PM
I'm tempted to hijack someone's idea, are there any that you don't plan on doing, since I notice there are a lot of requests?

If you know anything about the Inevitables, then take the one above about the Squarut. I don't know anything about it.

Diovid
2012-06-22, 04:30 PM
I have a vague idea about a vigilante-like urban base class. Something in between an urban ranger (without wild empathy and animal companion) and an assassin, probably with int-based arcane spellcasting and possibly some social and tracking skills. I can't quite conceptualize how I'd like it so maybe you can help?

Lohj
2012-06-22, 05:26 PM
I have a vague idea about a vigilante-like urban base class. Something in between an urban ranger (without wild empathy and animal companion) and an assassin, probably with int-based arcane spellcasting and possibly some social and tracking skills. I can't quite conceptualize how I'd like it so maybe you can help?

How does this sound for a draft?
A Ranger with Class Skills: ,Balance, Bluff, Climb, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather Information, Heal, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Thieves(Thinking of something that would encompass all dark aspects of a city), Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, and Tumble.
Features Lost: Wild Empathy, Animal Companion, Woodland Stride, and Camouflage
Features Gained: Favored City (Gets bonus to certain information related checks in city), Favored Enemy (Thieves ) (Like normal favored enemies, but only against actual thieves, and Information Network (Can find out info on people or events in a city with gather information check bonus depending on level).

In addition, would you want this Vigilante to deal non-lethal or lethal damage?
Like, do you really want a Batman, or more like the Punisher?

Empedocles
2012-06-22, 05:40 PM
May I also hijack an idea? Pretty please? :smalltongue:

Madara
2012-06-22, 08:24 PM

Vaguely highjacking this. I'll see if I can make a non-caster elementalist caster :smallwink:
(As you can see, the only thing I'm stealing is the elementalist using combinations..

Let's see if anyone understood what I mean

bobthe6th
2012-06-22, 08:32 PM
A base class based around the whip or spiked chain. focused on making massive area denial.

Lohj
2012-06-23, 12:34 AM
May I also hijack an idea? Pretty please? :smalltongue:

Go right ahead. I claim the Urban Rogue.

Lohj
2012-06-23, 12:36 AM
A base class based around the whip or spiked chain. focused on making massive area denial.

Iteresting. So a class that gets something like so?
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0216.html

Diovid
2012-06-23, 01:04 AM
How does this sound for a draft?
A Ranger with Class Skills: ,Balance, Bluff, Climb, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather Information, Heal, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Thieves(Thinking of something that would encompass all dark aspects of a city), Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, and Tumble.
Features Lost: Wild Empathy, Animal Companion, Woodland Stride, and Camouflage
Features Gained: Favored City (Gets bonus to certain information related checks in city), Favored Enemy (Thieves ) (Like normal favored enemies, but only against actual thieves, and Information Network (Can find out info on people or events in a city with gather information check bonus depending on level).
Sounds nice as a draft. Comes close to the Cityscape's Urban Ranger I think but that's not a bad thing.

In addition, would you want this Vigilante to deal non-lethal or lethal damage?
Like, do you really want a Batman, or more like the Punisher?
Maybe an option to do both? Like, for most enemies it would use non-lethal damage but for extreme terrorists it would do whatever it takes?

bobthe6th
2012-06-23, 01:07 AM
bretty much exactly...
though as a large sized creature, he could have just sat there and tripped Roy all day long... with an occasional 5ft step back... stand still also would work...

dspeyer
2012-06-23, 01:16 AM
With regard to previous requests, I'll mention my own Ectoplancer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13399483&postcount=23) Caller (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244504)
and Wildshifter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228599).

Something I've basically given up on brewing myself is the Wildmage from the Obsidian Mountain trilogy. For those that haven't read it, every spell a wildmage casts has a personal price. This can range from rescuing a kitten, to sacrificing her own life. The costs are roughly proportional to the spell, but are also based on the wild magic's own desires, which are mostly benevolent. I've gotten stumped on suitable rules for what the quests should be. If you can think of a way, have at.

Lohj
2012-06-23, 01:36 AM
With regard to previous requests, I'll mention my own Ectoplancer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13399483&postcount=23) Caller (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244504)
and Wildshifter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228599).

Something I've basically given up on brewing myself is the Wildmage from the Obsidian Mountain trilogy. For those that haven't read it, every spell a wildmage casts has a personal price. This can range from rescuing a kitten, to sacrificing her own life. The costs are roughly proportional to the spell, but are also based on the wild magic's own desires, which are mostly benevolent. I've gotten stumped on suitable rules for what the quests should be. If you can think of a way, have at.

So, it could have the same strings as the a 'Atonement spell', but less demanding. Such as:
"After casting a spell, the Wildmage accrues a 'Power Debt' equal to the spell level. This power debt, if left unpaid, will rob the Wildmage of his powers until it is paid. Payment is made by an action depending on spell level.
Level 1: Saving a kitten, giving a beggar food.
Level 2: Giving a beggar clothes, volunteer work
all the way to
level 9: Sacrifice self for good cause (Doesn't need to die, so much as put self at great personal risk), Save the just no matter the cost."

Does that sound right? I'm unsure of the 'cost' of the powers if unpaid. Do you have a direct example of an 'unpaid power debt' from your series?

Lohj
2012-06-23, 09:11 PM
Sounds nice as a draft. Comes close to the Cityscape's Urban Ranger I think but that's not a bad thing.

Maybe an option to do both? Like, for most enemies it would use non-lethal damage but for extreme terrorists it would do whatever it takes?

Finished the draft. Link: Urban Vigilante (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13446747#post13446747)

dspeyer
2012-06-24, 10:59 AM
So, it could have the same strings as the a 'Atonement spell', but less demanding. Such as:
"After casting a spell, the Wildmage accrues a 'Power Debt' equal to the spell level. This power debt, if left unpaid, will rob the Wildmage of his powers until it is paid. Payment is made by an action depending on spell level.
Level 1: Saving a kitten, giving a beggar food.
Level 2: Giving a beggar clothes, volunteer work
all the way to
level 9: Sacrifice self for good cause (Doesn't need to die, so much as put self at great personal risk), Save the just no matter the cost."

Does that sound right? I'm unsure of the 'cost' of the powers if unpaid. Do you have a direct example of an 'unpaid power debt' from your series?

Something like that. Prices are always specific, and never the same twice.

It's left a little vague what happens if I wildmage tries to ignore magedebt. It's possible to build up quite a lot of it with no ill effects so long as you sincerely intend to do all of it

It's also backstory that many wildmages sold their souls to demons to try to avoid their magedebts. This never goes well.

Morph Bark
2012-06-25, 07:52 AM
I will get to work on it.
Would you prefer a cooldown type deal for its abilities, or simply a once per day per ability score modifier?
And, would you want it to be replication of already made spells (Fireball, Otluke's frozen Sphere, Lighting Bolt, Earthquake), or something new?
Finally, I'm guessing this class will have Plane Shift, except to earth/elemental planes.

A cooldown type would be preferable. It's up to you if you want to use existing spells or make something new, though maybe if using existing spells a cooldown type deal might be too strong, at least if you go all the way up to 9ths. If you go with that though, I suggest going up to 7ths, maybe 8ths as a capstone of sorts, though a unique capstone is the best thing ever.

Lohj
2012-06-25, 12:17 PM
A cooldown type would be preferable. It's up to you if you want to use existing spells or make something new, though maybe if using existing spells a cooldown type deal might be too strong, at least if you go all the way up to 9ths. If you go with that though, I suggest going up to 7ths, maybe 8ths as a capstone of sorts, though a unique capstone is the best thing ever.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by 'capstone'?

The-Mage-King
2012-06-25, 12:41 PM
Please excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by 'capstone'?

Special ability that rewards you for going through with the full class, usually at level 20, 10, 15, or 5, depending on the class.

Typically, it's a fair bit more powerful than the other stuff available, and thematic. My Sentai class has a capstone that lets it make party members act like weaker sentai, for example, and most of my PrCs have one that is appropriate for the concept.

That class in question would probably get it at level 20, since it's a base class.

Lohj
2012-06-25, 01:01 PM
Special ability that rewards you for going through with the full class, usually at level 20, 10, 15, or 5, depending on the class.

Typically, it's a fair bit more powerful than the other stuff available, and thematic. My Sentai class has a capstone that lets it make party members act like weaker sentai, for example, and most of my PrCs have one that is appropriate for the concept.

That class in question would probably get it at level 20, since it's a base class.

Thank you, and something more nerdy: I have used your Sentai class in a Devil May Cry themed 3.5 campaign. I really like your Sentai class.

GunbladeKnight
2012-06-25, 07:04 PM
If you're still taking requests:

A fixed list divine caster "elemental shaman". So something akin to a spontaneous druid, only with less focus on animals/nature and more on the four elements. Also looking for similar healing progression to the cleric.

The-Mage-King
2012-06-25, 07:10 PM
Thank you, and something more nerdy: I have used your Sentai class in a Devil May Cry themed 3.5 campaign. I really like your Sentai class.

Then drop some feedback in my thread! :smalltongue:

Lohj
2012-06-28, 11:19 PM

Hey, Morph Bark! Here is the draft for your class.
Channeler of the Planes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13472770#post13472770)