PDA

View Full Version : All-Voldur campaign (IC)

danzibr
2012-06-22, 07:08 AM
Centuries ago, Dwarves inhabited the isolated Garvius Mountains looking for precious stones and metal. Goliaths already inhabited the Garvius Mountains, but enjoyed the Dwarves for their craftsmanship. The Dwarves found riches, and plenty of it, enough that they built three great cities: Montor, Dro and Slag. While Montor was primarily above ground, Dro and Slag were both deep underground. Afterward they erected a fortress atop a nearby peak, in fact the highest peak of the Garvius Mountains, the Pale Summit, and called it Pale Lookout. Should the Dwarves ever need to defend themselves and find their underground homes inadequate, they would flee to the Pale Lookout.

They quickly became wealthy, but their distant location made trade inconvenient, and so they set about building a massive highway, the Lesh Highway, to connect themselves to Keydom, the region's hub of commerce. In a few years they completed the highway and for a time trade was good. As such, several settlements sprung up along the road, namely Toof, Kauch, Vmuc, Har and Birch, also becoming quite wealthy. Several years later, roughly thirty years ago, the Dwarves' production slowed as they drained the mountain of its resources, until eventually they moved on in search of other lucrative locations.

Tales of the rich Dwarves' departure spread and not long after Bugbears, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Kobolds, Orcs, Kobolds, and all sorts unpleasant creatures moved into the Dwarves' abandoned settlements, initially the source of much concern among the other inhabitants of Ennedrae. Fortunately, the unwanted races warred amongst themselves trying to claim supremacy over the Garvius Mountains, only rarely attacking other cities, and even then only the occasional assault on Birch.

You hear a town near the end of the Lesh Highway, a village named Birch, is in need of help, and is willing to offer reward. Birch is the nearest settlement to where the Dwarves used to live, and consequently nearest to the warring humanoids who moved in. From various walks of life, the six of you, some strangers, some siblings, decide to go to Birch, meeting along the way.

Still morning, the first thing you notice as you approach Birch from the north is the change in terrain. While the past several miles have been mostly barren hills flanking the Lesh Highway, a rich strip of greenery decorates the northern side of the Delnac River. The southern bank, however, looks more inhospitable than the steep hills you recently passed through.

Birch, built almost exclusively north of the Delnac, stretches several hundred yards east and west of where the Lesh Highway crosses the Delnac, most of the peripheral consisting of crops and livestock. The heart of the city seems to be built up right around the bridge. Despite being rather spread out, it's far too small to be considered a city, doubtfully much larger than one thousand residents.
The party is still north of Birch. Determine marching order, specifying if you walk abreast or tandem, et cetera.

Also, I was vague with the "meeting along the way" business, so feel free to fluff it up.

hoverfrog
2012-06-22, 10:18 AM
Klar'ith looks around at the fields north of Birch. Are there farmers, sheep herders and such tending their crops, repairing fences, gossiping with neighbours, taking goods to market and such? What is their demeanour if I can see them? Are any close enough to call out to and talk with? Are they mostly dwarves?

Unless there is a pressing need I shall walk next to my new friend, Jeor, and talk about his travels. If there is anything to alert us to danger then I shift to the centre of the group and suggest that we walk in two columns of three with myself and Shanar in the middle.

More than a thousand people must live here. At the last clan gathering I went to there were scarcely half that many. Has anyone been here before?

BelGareth
2012-06-22, 11:08 AM
Jeor was in high spirits as he traveled with the group of other Voldurs, he had originally thought it a stroke of luck to see another in the priest mage of Kla'rith, but when the others had joined him, he had felt more at home than ever before.

He was used to other's of his own kind, but not quite so many at once.

And then his brother had joined with them, he was eager to fight along side Harfil, for he had taken the path of their father becoming a Crusader and learning the sublime path. Jeor himself had learned his craft from his foster father Grey Joyce who had left on some other mission a week earlier.

Leading out in front at a leisurely pace he moved through the land like a serpent on sand, effortless and with out disturbance. In his hand was a Glaive of the most beautiful craftsmanship, he had seen it and fell in love with the steel shod end and intricate carving in the wood meeting the shaft, it had become his the next day and now was a worn thing, but still of excellent quality.

Climbing the nearest rise Jeor scanned the area and stood for a moment leaning on his long weapon with both hands, awaiting the rest of the group to catch up. Some had wanted to walk and talk, but he had insisted a modicum of tactical movement as they progressed, the talking could be accomplished during the breakdown for the night.

As he waited he scanned the nearby city of Birch sitting across the river either side of the bridge that spanned it. He wondered what such things he would see and what strange events might happen here. He had grown up on the tales of Grey Joyce and his parents adventures, no such small things to live up to.

Answering his new found friend "Never have I traveled this far into the mountains, I can only pray they have a sufficient amount of ale and mutton to quench my appetite!" he says as he claps him on the back.

He see his brother and nods to him "Have you reached this far brother?"

danzibr
2012-06-22, 12:30 PM
Finding a nearby hill, Jeor quickly scans his milieu, to the north, the direction the party came from, finding the Lesh Highway, about fifty feet wide, flatly stretching as far as the eye can see. On either side are rocky hills with little grass, looking unfit to grow any sort of crop.

Birch, a rectangular town, far wider west to east than north to south, rests to the south. It's northern border appears to have no defenses, consisting of single-story houses spaced fairly close to one another, a lone tree beside the road immediately before the town begins. The few visible residents in the distance look to all be human. Only on the southern border of Birch, away from the party, are there farms with crops and livestock.

On the far side of Birch, beyond the gorge which must hold the Delnac, mountains rise sharply, making the southern side of the river uninhabitable. The mountains extend for miles, comprising the southern horizon.

WyvernLord
2012-06-22, 05:19 PM
Marching steadily up the path, Harfil has been more relaxed then he has since he left home after meeting his brother. He is surprised at meeting so many other Voldur. He'll have to ask some of them for their stories.
"Never been here before. Was about twenty miles to the north-west hunting some bandits before I came down here."
I stare down at the town.
"Hope this is a tough one. Those bandits didn't know how to use their weapons."

Electrobolt
2012-06-22, 07:30 PM
Borkan was driving the cart that he used to carry all kinds of goods, with Shanar next to him, as they traveled along with the group of Voldurs that the two of them had run across. As he continued to drive, the Voldur named Klar'ith had spoken up, asking if either of them had been to this town before. In response, Borkan answered, "I have not been here before."

Linguz
2012-06-22, 07:33 PM
Shanar, indeed next to him, replied as well, "I've always been with Bork. Never been here either." She had her bow out and an arrow strung, but not taut. Just in case of anything.

niw18
2012-06-22, 08:41 PM
He would return look to them as he had been scouting ahead but got to them in time to hear the conversation and thought about it before looking to them through his crystal mask and spoke up “I have been there a few times with my mentor but that was many years ago the town might have changed since then” he would state to them and go back to instinctively looking out for people his hand on his bow gripping it as he never traveled before to this place with so many his own kind and was sure a group of voldurs would make the towns gossip quota.

He sure town has not seen it too often and paused and would look to jeor before looking to the rest “do you have a plan once we get to the town as we are going to stir up things just by the numbers of us.” He would ask jeor as he trusted jeor since other than his mentor jeor was only other person to see his face unmasked and seen his orcish features and scars of training and from battles with his mentor.

danzibr
2012-06-22, 09:11 PM
The party proceeds south toward Birch, conversing about their knowledge of the village, drawing near to about two hundred feet away from the northern edge.
I need a spot check from everyone.

Linguz
2012-06-22, 09:21 PM
Shanar looks around.

Spot: [roll0]

Electrobolt
2012-06-22, 09:28 PM
Borkan looks around the area, seeing what he could.

niw18
2012-06-22, 10:09 PM
Volskan would look around as far as he could to see what he could spot anything in the area.

[roll0]

hoverfrog
2012-06-23, 02:33 AM
Klar'ith croons to Blerick, his toad familiar, "I'll find you a slug or something, little one." Then I look around for grubs or things on the ground for him to eat.

Spot: (1d20+4)[5]

BelGareth
2012-06-23, 09:34 AM
Jeor looks to Volskan and grins "A plan? what is this crazy notion you speak off? Planning?" his grin grows a little wider "I don't believe I have ever heard of it!"

Jeor scans the town
[roll0]

And then moves towards it, taking the lead once more.

WyvernLord
2012-06-23, 06:48 PM
"My plan is to get information to make a plan to solve problems. Delightfully easy to accomplish."
I scan the town walking slowly towards it.[roll0]

danzibr
2012-06-23, 07:15 PM
Shanar and Volskan notice something small near the trunk of the tree which seems to mark the northern end of Birch, two hundred feet from the party, beside the western side of the Lesh Highway. It appears to be a foot, the glimmer of armor barely visible above its ankle. The rest of the body must be behind the tree; judging by the ankle and foot's angle, whomever it is must be seated with their foot extended.
Two natural 1's, not bad!

On a serious note, how are you rolling, hoverFrog?

Linguz
2012-06-23, 08:00 PM
Shanar calls out to the party, "Hold on. There's... something, or someone, up ahead. Move slowly, but keep moving." She hops down from the cart, takes her shortbow from her back onto her hands, and runs to the side for a bit before running back forward, so that'd she'd be closer to the tree, but behind it in relation to the road. If she can see who's there, then she might not fire an arrow into the bush. If not, she aims at the bush when she gets 70 feet away and fires. Attack: [roll0] Check: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] Crit: [roll3]
Initiative: [roll4]

danzibr
2012-06-23, 09:55 PM
As Shanar cautiously draws nearer the northern edge of Birch, weapon at the ready, her vantage point changes, offering the view of a young, bald human male sitting on a chair partially concealed behind the thick tree. He's wearing plated armor, a halberd resting against his side. The man's inclined back with his left leg kicked comfortably forward, head tilted back, looking upward at either the tree's leafs or the sky.

Linguz
2012-06-23, 10:02 PM
Shanar draws closer, to thirty feet away, and still has the bow drawn. At this range, it would be easier to fire an arrow at a more tender area, allowing her to hurt him more if he attacked. "You in the chair, the bald man. What are you doing hiding there?"

Move Silently: [roll0]

WyvernLord
2012-06-24, 10:21 AM
Watching Shanar dart forward quietly with his bow, Harfil grabs his shield and readies for attack.

danzibr
2012-06-24, 10:43 AM
The man's head turns abruptly toward Shanar as he shoots into a standing position. He hails you with his right hand, halberd in his left, though held up in a calming manner, “Easy now, no need to be hostile. This is a bit of an embarrassment, really; I'm s'posed to be guarding the northern entrance, though truth be told nobody comes this way, so ya caught me noddin' off. Say Miss, would ya mind puttin' that bow down? Nothin' bad ever comes from the north, and today's not the day to start, eh?” The man laughs nervously.

Linguz
2012-06-24, 11:09 AM
Shanar lowers the bow, the arrow still on it but no longer taut. She removes one of her hands and waves her group forward, so that they know to come. "Why are you guarding the north entrance? What does the city fear that they need to put up guards?"

danzibr
2012-06-24, 12:39 PM
The guard watches with interest as the rest of the party approaches. Surprisingly, he displays no signs of discomfort at there being so many Voldur nearby, apparently not disheveled by Shanar's blank eyes, "Proper question, that. You must not know the Goblins and what have you down in the Garvius Mountains have been more rambunctious of late. Birch's never been attacked from the north, not once, but it makes the people feel at ease to have someone on guard, at least Captain Mansour thinks."

He pauses to scratch his bald head, "Wait, then why are you here? I figured you came about Birch needin' help and all."

Linguz
2012-06-24, 12:46 PM
"Never hurts to be cautious. And that's pretty much an update on what we knew. We've been traveling, so for all we knew, Birch might have fallen to some attacks by now, or someone else could've helped you out already." Shanar put away her bow and arrow as she walked back to the road. Assuming that the guard will come out of the bush, she continues to speak, "So who should we talk to to get a full update on the current affairs of the town and the like?"

Electrobolt
2012-06-24, 04:51 PM
Borkan remained silent as his sister Shanar was asking these questions. Sure, he could ask something, but he was more of the silent type. He was ready to go in case they needed to fight, even though they might not need to. Still, he was ready in case it was needed.

hoverfrog
2012-06-24, 05:14 PM
"Captain", it never hurt to flatter a man, "you don't seem surprised at our appearance though you are human. Are more of our kind in your grand city? Before this last week I'd met no-one of my race and thought myself unique."

BelGareth
2012-06-24, 06:40 PM
Jeor smiles ruefully as they interrogate the guardsman, he was no silver tongued devil so he let the talking be done by the others.

Leaning heavily on his Glaive as he seemed to do a lot, he watched with a grin on his face.

danzibr
2012-06-24, 06:49 PM
"I understand, Miss, no harm done," the guard says with a bow, stepping onto the Lesh Highway from behind the thick tree. "Birch isn't about to fall to Goblins, they're just getting a bit more daring. 'Fraid nobody's come to help us yet. It's just we can't spare any members of the guard."

“As for an update, oh, trouble alright, and not dire rats in the sewers!” The man slaps his plated leg with his free hand. “You've probably heard of the attacks; we've been putting up with them for a long time now, but recently they've gotten worse. And with Pale Lookout lightning up at night, that's probably not a good sign, I'd bet you a golder. And then with Sasha... well, I'll let Lady Thyri tell you about that.”

The bald man scratches his head as if forgetting something, then gestures to the south, “Right, Lady Thyri. Take the last right before the bridge, second house on the left. Real big, can't miss it.”

After addressing Shanar, he turns to Klar'ith with another laugh, "Captain Bert, eh? That'll be the day, but thank you kindly, Sir. We have a Half-Orc or two in Birch; in fact, Womar runs the Salty Dragon. As for Voldur, I remember two visiting here when I was a boy, but that's been many years. I can't say there's been a Voldur here since then."

Linguz
2012-06-24, 06:55 PM
Shanar nods to the man and follows his directions. When she gets to the house, she knocks on the door. When the door opens, she says, "I am Shanar and this me and my friends are here to help with your problem. The guard to the north mentioned Sasha, but told us to speak to you about it."

WyvernLord
2012-06-24, 08:56 PM
Harfil walks up and studies the man.
"Must be surprising to have a whole band show up then. Sounds like this will be a fun little fight. It's a pleasure meeting you."
He shakes his hand then follows the rest into the town. He looks around a little nervously. He has never felt welcome in most towns.

When the door opens Harfil nods his head.

Electrobolt
2012-06-25, 05:19 PM
Borkan simply nodded to Bert, as if thanking him in his own way, before following Shanar. Once they had arrived, Borkan jumped off the wagon and joined the rest of the group as the door opened.

danzibr
2012-06-26, 08:47 AM
From the encounter with Bert the guard, the party receives experience as though overcoming a CR 2 encounter (doubled, so 200 exp per person)
The party proceeds south down the Lesh Highway through Birch. Simple houses are built on either side, a few occupied, windows revealing a vast majority of humans, though there are a good few Halflings, Dwarves, and other common humanoids. On the way to Lady Thyri's house, as indicated by Bert, a few of the party members catch sight of something.
Make a spot check.

On an unrelated note, Volskan's getting NPC'd into action. Also, map of Birch is going in the OOC thread.

hoverfrog
2012-06-26, 09:31 AM
"Bert seemed friendly enough, didn't he? I can't say that I'm used that that kind of reaction. Normally people stare or worse," Klar'ith looks around at the faces of people, savouring the openness and kindness of these strangers.

Spot [roll0]

Electrobolt
2012-06-26, 10:59 AM
Borkan nodded after hearing Klar'ith's words. In response, he said, "Yeah, he was rather friendly. Didn't really expect that, to be honest." As they were going along the roads, Borkan took the opportunity to glance around at the sights.

BelGareth
2012-06-26, 11:08 AM
Jeor -

Sounds like a fun little fight indeed. He thought to himself, Jeor wandered the amount of guards they posted at the roads they were experiencing trouble, and whether or not they would be welcome. That guard seemed amicable enough and barely looked twice at any of them....a little strange....

Maybe they are more tolerant here, being farther away than most towns...

Jeor followed, walking by his brothers side, "What do you think? Goblins? I'm doubting a bunch of them would bother a town this size, they must have a sizable guard here. I'm thinking some of the bigger boys are pushing them down here."

Nuther spot check: [roll0]
Suggestion: DM rolls our spot checks to speed up things.

danzibr
2012-06-26, 11:25 AM
Suggestion noted! To be honest I wanted to do so from the beginning, but it also felt intrusive. But hey, if a player wants it done... let it be done. Also, since it's my first time DMing online, all suggestions are welcome.

Spot for Shanar: [roll0]
Spot for Volskan: [roll1]
About to turn onto the smaller path to what must be Lady Thyri's house, a thin trail of light smoke from the house just south of the road catches Harfil's, Borkan's, Klar'ith's, Volskan's and Jeor's eyes. There are two buildings right on the western side of the Lesh Highway and just north of the Delnac River. The structure nearer the river looks like a small house, the one above it the building with smoke coming from its roof. Around the corner of the southern house Borkan, Volskan and Jeor see the side of something tall, almost entirely concealed from sight.

BelGareth
2012-06-26, 11:34 AM
Jeor turns to see the smoke rising from the roof.

"Looks like we've found trouble already!" Jeor says pointing to the fire so the others who hadn't seen will see.

"Let's go, this has to be more than mere coincidence!" He takes off running towards the fire.

hoverfrog
2012-06-26, 04:44 PM
Klar'ith follows Jeor but with more caution than his impetuous friend. I fix the casting of Create Water in my mind ready to cast to put out the fire.

Linguz
2012-06-26, 04:51 PM
Shanar lets the people who had seen it go on ahead of her before continuing on.

danzibr
2012-06-26, 08:08 PM
The bold Jeor runs toward the house with smoke emerging from its roof, the rest of the party cautiously following. There's no door on the north or east, the direction of the party's initial approach. Turning the southern corner, Jeor spots an open door on its southern wall. Fearlessly bursting in, Jeor's eyes quickly adjust to find himself standing in a small room, two anvils near his feet, a multitude of tools lining the walls, and a large furnace, embers dimly glowing. A pipe leads from the furnace to the ceiling where it expels smoke.

niw18
2012-06-27, 12:05 AM
Volskan followed watching the backs of his fellow valdurs as they made their way towards the building that had smoke that’s coming out of its roof. He wondered if this was a setup and instinctively gripped his bow in case it was needed. He followed Jeor as they made it to a building that seemed not to have a door and noticed the door and would go through with the others and looks around to spot any clues that might help them.

I am looking around to see if I notice any clues are anything that might be abnormal in the room

[roll0]

hoverfrog
2012-06-27, 07:38 AM
Klar'ith laughs as he walks into the smithy, "Don't feel embarrassed Jeor, I too thought the building was afire." Then he looks around to see if anyone is tending the forge or is in a nearby room listening out for customers. Does Klar'ith hear anything once he stops talking to Joer?

In case you need it, a Search check [roll0] and a Listen check [roll1]

Linguz
2012-06-27, 07:56 AM
Shanar stays outside, for now, leaning on the wall of the smithy, right next to the doorway.

danzibr
2012-06-27, 09:34 AM
Other than to those who have an interesting in metalworking, the smithy looks absolutely mundane. The forge seems to have been worked somewhat recently, perhaps an hour or two ago. Klar'ith's ears pick up a low, period humming sound coming from the south, across the strip of grass which connects the smithy to a larger building.

The other building, the one with the tall object concealed behind it, has windows flanking its door partially ajar. From what's visible, it's clearly a shop carrying weapons and armor.

BelGareth
2012-06-27, 10:51 AM
Jeor grimaces as he realizes his rash decision and looks around at the nondescript Forge and smithy.

I am no fool, something is amiss.

Thinking to himself and barely hearing his companions try to soothe his wounded pride, he walks outside to the side of the building.

Hadn't he seen something here?

hoverfrog
2012-06-27, 02:21 PM
"Can anyone else hear that noise?" Klar'ith follows Jeor outside.

Linguz
2012-06-27, 07:43 PM
Shanar perked up her ears and tried to hear it.

Listen: [roll0] (Unsure if you already rolled it, but we can try to hear something we were unable to hear with a move action, I believe.)

Electrobolt
2012-06-27, 09:49 PM
Curious about what Klar'ith had said about hearing something, Borkan, much like Shanar, kept his ears open to try and pick up what the sound was that had been mentioned.

Listen: [roll0]
Doing the same as Linguz, just in case you didn't roll for Listen

danzibr
2012-06-28, 07:29 AM
Rolls for other peeps:
Volskan: [roll0]
Harfil: [roll1]
Jeor: [roll2]
As hard as Borkan strains his ears, he can't hear what the others are talking about. Having the sharpest ears, Klar'ith and Shanar realize the periodic, low humming sound is actually the sound of a deep snore coming from the larger building only feet to the south of the smithy.

The bigger building's door is already open, though the door is only six feet tall. However, it's unusually wide, perhaps five feet. As the day is still young, the pre-noon light is strong and it's hard to see into the dark house's interior.

Jeor, followed by Klar'ith, round the southern building, and upon walking past its corner, see a large object made of wood. It's a catapult, or at least parts of one. The base is fifteen feet across, the arm about as tall, but disconnected. It seems well-tended, however; the nearby grass is trimmed and the wood is sanded and polished.

hoverfrog
2012-06-28, 11:41 AM
"Maybe it would be a good idea to flank the door, it sounds like a clan of dwarves is sleeping off the biggest hangover in the world in there." Klar'ith picks up a stone or discarded bolt from the ground and casts Light it.

Looking around to make sure that everyone is ready and in position in case some just woken beast (or an angry dwarf) comes roaring out of the house he throws the stone thorough the door and into the dark building. It would be good to get the centre of the room.

Hit roll if required [roll0]

Linguz
2012-06-28, 02:11 PM
Shanar waits until the stone is tossed before looking into the building, trying to see anything. "Maybe it's just the smithy sleeping...?"

danzibr
2012-06-28, 07:41 PM
The room, apparently an arms shop, has no east-facing window or lanterns or candles lit, and so is quite dark. Klar'ith rolls a stone into the relatively dark room, illuminating its interior.

Looking inside, you can see a plethora of weapons and armor, along with a number of trinkets. The place is rather cluttered, but everything looks to have its own place, weapons assorted by size and type, armors and helms on display. Lying on a chest-high bench, a male's head is visible, a puddle of drool by his open mouth, the snores' source.

hoverfrog
2012-06-29, 12:19 AM
"It looks like you were right, Shanar." Klar'ith walks into the store and retrieves the stone, making no effort to be quiet. There is an opportunity to examine the quality of the weapons and to learn more about the sleeping smith but it can be dangerous to surprise a sleeping beast in it's lair. It is better that he hear me and take me for a customer rather than a thief.

danzibr
2012-06-29, 09:27 AM
Despite Klar'ith's efforts, the snoring person remains in his current state. Getting a closer look, Klar'ith sees he's a middle-aged Dwarf with ruddy skin and braided red hair, wearing thick leather, an empty mug beside him on his bench.

Linguz
2012-06-29, 12:21 PM
Shanar nods and heads into the building. She crouches by the dwarf's side and tries to wake him up. If nothing ordinary works, she rolls him off of what he's on. If she discovers something new, she'll stop and maybe change.

WyvernLord
2012-06-29, 03:01 PM
Harfil stands outside making no move towards the doorway.
"Is it wise to disturb someone's sleep when we do not need to talk to them. Or is there a reason one of you need to talk to him?"

Linguz
2012-06-29, 10:38 PM
Shanar looks up from her work and stops, heading back outside. "He's sleeping with the door open, after recently working the forge. If we were thieves, he would have been robbed. If we help him out, by waking him up and informing him about his dilemma, maybe he'll help us out in the future." She returns, to attempt to wake him and such.

danzibr
2012-06-30, 07:47 AM
Upon Shanar's touch, the Dwarf shoots up in his seat, bloodshot eyes open wide. He scowls at the Shanar, "Oi, what're ye doin'!" After a few seconds the Dwarf calms, though he eyes the Voldur in his shop with something between distrust and disgust, something the party's accustomed to.

A moment later he speaks again, "Well, if ye're buyin', then buy. If not, get outta 'ere and let me be."

Linguz
2012-06-30, 09:28 AM
Shanar stands up to her full height and looked down at the dwarf. "I do not believe we are buying anything as of yet, but you did go to sleep with the doors open, which is pretty much an invitation to thieves. I just wanted to tell you that you should probably close when you're asleep, so all your fine smith work doesn't go to naught."

WyvernLord
2012-07-01, 01:43 AM
Harfil moves up to the doorway and look inside.
"I'm sorry for our intrusion, we'll leave if you want us to."
Looking at some armor Harfil admires the hard work the dwarf put into his work.
This is amazing craftsmanship though."
Diplomacy check to improve his attitude.
[roll0]

hoverfrog
2012-07-01, 04:44 AM
Klar'ith holds the light stone up to some daggers for a closer look, "Aye, this is good work", though he leaves unsaid "for a drunken dwarf who sleeps all day".

Aid another on the Diplomacy check [roll0]

danzibr
2012-07-01, 06:32 AM
The Dwarf grumbles something in a different language under his breath, then says to Shanar, "I didn't take ye for the paladin-type. I know ev'ry single person in Birch, and not one of 'em would steal from me. Can't say 'bout you Voldur, though."

He listens to Harfil's compliments and polite words for a minute, Klar'ith interjecting on his fellow Voldur's behalf. At the end, the Dwarf actually smiles slightly, raising the mug from the wooden bench beside him, "Sorry 'bout that, the bein' rude. Y'see, I stayed up all night on the forge with some drink, somethin' I like to do, and come daybreak I finally came in for a nap. I'm a bit grumpy when short on sleep." His eyes look less distrusting, "Maybe you Voldur aren't so bad. I'll talk about me work any time. I go by Rhokag these days."

hoverfrog
2012-07-02, 09:15 AM
Klar'ith shakes the dwarf by the hand, "Rhokag, clearly dwarven diligence is all we've heard it to be and more. Tell me, are you building that great war machine outside to defend this town against the goblins?" He gestures in the direction of the catapult, "We have come to rid this place of the menace of goblins and their poisonous kind. He makes introductions all round and tries to turn the conversation to that of goblins, the threat to Birch and about the Lady Thyri.

Gather Information [roll0]

danzibr
2012-07-02, 11:24 AM
"Indeed I am," Rhokag responds proudly, smiling for the first time. "That thing's a hobby of mine. I keep it disassembled for easy maintenance, but given a few minutes warnin' I can slap 'er together. With a few helpin' hands and a few days, I reckon I could build a second. Got the materials. Problem is, it's useless unless against a large force, and the few attacks lately have been just a handful.

"As for Birch's problems, well..." he pauses, scratching his braided red beard. "I dunno it's my place to tell you, but... Sasha's gone missing. Lady Thyri's daughter. She's sent men in to get 'er back, but they come back empty-handed, if at all. Truth be told the little pests have attacked more often lately, but nothin' we can't handle, not with Mansour. Lady Thyri needs some folk with the know-how of how to get her daughter back." Rhokag pauses again. "If she's alive," the Dwarf mutters.

BelGareth
2012-07-02, 12:10 PM
Fuming just a little at his reckless behavior earlier Jeor suddenly pays attention, his interest piqued by the talk of goblins and 'hunting' them down.

"Well now" he says after the dwarf is finished. "Just so happens that hunting Goblins is my specialty", he is leaning on his glaive once more in the casual way of men at arms who hold polearms all day do.

"Where were the goblins seen last? Maybe I can pick up their scent while the rest of you are talking to the lady.....Volskan, Shanar. Wanna come?"

He stands up straight awaiting eagerly to hear from the dwarf the location of the last attack.

He is quite literally an expert, having favored enemy: Goblinoid.

danzibr
2012-07-02, 12:25 PM
Rhokag eyes Jeor's glaive with approval, either at the Voldur's words or the weapon itself. "If you mean the Goblins that took Sasha, nobody knows. They didn't come here and kidnap her, oh no. Sasha went huntin' 'em and never came back. Half of us think she's dead, but maybe they know she's valuable, know she's Lady Thyri's daughter. This's been a good week and a half now."

He vaguely gestures to the south, "Regardin' the last attack, the town guard's pretty good about those. They keep a buildin' south of the Delnac manned at all hours. When the Goblins come, they run up, raisin' the alarm. The Goblins didn't even get this side of the river."

Linguz
2012-07-02, 01:26 PM
Shanar nodded and moved her hand to her kukri's hilt, at her waist. "If you can find them, then let's go."

BelGareth
2012-07-02, 01:45 PM
Nodding back he moves to go to the spot indicated.

"I shall find them as long as the winter is cold and summer warm, you others should go to the lady with haste, I'm sure she'll be happy to know someone is here to look for her daughter."

He walks out the building and turns back to Volskan, "You coming?"

niw18
2012-07-03, 01:18 AM
He would listen and pay attention he did not say much all this time but he was paying attention and was ready to defend his Voldur brethren should it be needed. He followed watching as they moved and spoke to a dwarf and listened what was said keeping to himself as he had a bad run in during his time training with a dwarf that made it best for him stay quiet not speak to this man. He would walk out of the build after hearing jeor speak to him and smirked “it would be best I go with yea I am finding it Hard be in presence of that dwarf it would be like old times” he would state to the older ranger that was one got him into the rangers and was reason he meet his mentor. He would follow Joer stretching a little bit diplomacy and being in a town was not really his thing.

hoverfrog
2012-07-03, 01:56 AM
Klar'ith watches some of the voldur leave and turns back to the dwarf, "We thank you kindly for your hospitality, good Rhokag. Build that second catapult. I sense trouble on the wind." With that he hurries after the others. "Is it wise to split our forces so soon or to seek the enemy without scouting the terrain first?"

When Klar'ith catches up he lists off the important points as he sees them,Goblins have been raiding Birch according to rumour, to guardsman Bert and smith Rhokag.
Birch has been sending scouts to watch for goblin raiding parties.
Birch has a building south of the river Delnac to raise the alarm and some inadequate defences including a half built catapult.
Lady Thyri is in charge of Birch.
Sasha is Lady Thyri's daughter and she has been killed or captured by the goblins in a skirmish a week and a half ago.
We have a location for a recent attack where we can start tracking the goblins.
We do not know the goblin numbers, their attack patterns, if there are any goblin prisoners that we could question, why they are targeting Birch, or what the reward is that we can expect for slaying goblins and for rescuing Sasha. We don't even know what Sasha looks like.
Please friends, let us speak with Lady Thyri first, get all the information that we need and then look for the goblins.

Electrobolt
2012-07-03, 11:24 AM
Borkan was just observing the conversation in silence, normally being the silent type. As they were beginning to leave though, Klar'ith had spoken up with his words. After listening, Borkan nodded in agreement, saying, "I agree, we should know more before we rush off. Let us meet with Lady Thyri first before we rush off anywhere."

BelGareth
2012-07-03, 11:36 AM
Jeor looks to the others and smiles,

"I don't want to go after, the goblins, just catch their trail and be ready while you all go talk to the lady. And then when you're done, we can go post haste." he shrugs his shoulders, "but if you don't want us to split I can see the logic in that, lead the way to this ladies house."

He wasn't all to pleased about having to go along with the group, social interactions always made him feel awkward, so he always tried to avoid them.

WyvernLord
2012-07-03, 01:32 PM
Harfil grunts his approval.
"We need information. The lady will have some but current locations of the enemy is very useful. Best if you get a starting point for your tracking first though.

hoverfrog
2012-07-03, 04:05 PM
Klar'ith is pleased that his words have helped, "If anyone in Birch has any sense perhaps they have already tracked these goblins and can save us some work." He strides purposefully to Lady Thyri's home.

danzibr
2012-07-03, 06:00 PM
As the party heads a short distance west, they quickly find themselves before their destination. Bert was right by calling Lady Thyri's house large, at least by local standards. It's one of the only two-story buildings in Birch and wide enough to warrant two walkways leading to its pair of double doors, remarkably unguarded. More surprisingly, all the doors are slightly ajar.
For the friendly encounter with Rhokag, everyone gets experience as though overcoming a lone CR 3 dude (doubled, so 300 exp per person).

Electrobolt
2012-07-03, 06:47 PM
At the sight of seeing the doors slightly opened, Borkan felt like there would be trouble here. He doesn't quite know why, but he just felt as if something was wrong here. *The doors are open... And no one is around... Might be best to stay on guard...* he thought to himself, just in case anything bad did occur.

hoverfrog
2012-07-04, 02:01 AM
Remembering the incident with the dwarf Klar'ith wonders if perhaps the people of Birch all leave their doors open all the time. *...Very trusting if they do...* Yet he also remembers the lessons of his Clan when raiding kobolds and other tricky enemies: "If it looks too inviting then it's probably an ambush."

If the Light enchanted stone is still glowing (it lasts for 20 minutes) I grip it tightly in my hand to hide it, if not I just drop it. Then I edge quietly to the open door, using any natural concealment (trees, bushes, statues, etc) to hide me. When I get to the open door I listen and try to see if there is any sign of a struggle.

Various rolls as required
Hide [roll0]
Move Silently [roll1]
Listen [roll2]
Search [roll3]
Spot [roll4]

danzibr
2012-07-04, 06:51 AM
Tightly gripping his glowing stone, Klar'ith sneaks up to the open door, straining his ear to catch whatever he can. There's a masculine voice coming from inside, human-sounding. The man's speaking quietly, though not outright whispering, making it too hard to make out his words.
It's only been maybe 5 minutes between talking to Rhokag and walking to the big house, so that stone's got plenty of time left.

hoverfrog
2012-07-04, 08:09 AM
Almost every one of the voldur has better skills at stalking prey than Klar'ith, his strengths lie elsewhere. Holding up a finger by his ear to indicate a single voice he points in the direction it is coming from as a signal to the others to move forward. He also forms a mental map of the house from what can be seen from the door and from outside.

danzibr
2012-07-05, 11:08 AM
Peeking in, Klar'ith sees a fifteen foot hallway with polished wooden floors, at the end a sizable open room. Everything seems high quality, though there aren't an excess of extravagant decorations. In the large open room lies a colorful rug occupying most of the visible floor. A few lights are lit, offering decent illumination, and the parted front doors give a decent breeze.

BelGareth
2012-07-05, 11:21 AM
Jeor Sighs as he sees the group move into action once again, at least it wasn't him this time. He watched as his friend moved to peek into the house as if danger lurked around the corner.

Maybe they all liked a breezy house?

He stood with the others apart from Kla'rith, but when his friend motioned for them to come, he came with haste as quietly as possible.

Leaving his Glaive against the side of the house, he draws his Kukri and handaxe from his belt feeling the weight in his hands. Nodding to Klar'ith he motions to let him go first.

Linguz
2012-07-05, 01:04 PM
Shanar sighed and walked forward to the house. "Again? We're in a town, not the wild." She rose her fist at one of the doors, knocked hard, and called out, "Is anyone in there? Lady Thyri, are you in there?"

danzibr
2012-07-05, 06:33 PM
Several seconds pass after Shanar's query, ending with the sound of heavy footsteps. A middle-aged human male in full plate with a fine bastard sword at his hip opens the doors wide, revealing two more people in armor behind him, a human woman and Half-Orc man. Judging by the first man's higher quality armor, he seems to be their leader.

"Voldur?" the leader asks, not hiding his surprise. However, he seems genuinely surprised rather than disgusted or the like. The same can't be said for the Half-Orc behind him, who openly wears a scowl. Then again, he might be the scowling sort.

The man's intelligent green eyes scan the party one at a time, as though assessing for danger, "Lady Thyri's house is open to all residents of Birch, but may I ask what business you have with her?"

Linguz
2012-07-05, 06:47 PM
Shanar focused on the man in the center. "We've got some questions for her, concerning the nearby goblins."

WyvernLord
2012-07-05, 08:25 PM
Harfil bows deeply and looks for any religious symbols on them.
"Harfil Halfmoon-Bloodaxe at your, and your towns service. I'm here to offer my help against the goblins, as we all are to my knowledge.

danzibr
2012-07-06, 09:04 AM
After a minute of Harfil working his silver tongue, the middle-aged man welcomes the party into the house, “Great, we've been needing some extra hands around here, assuming you're serious. My resources are spread pretty thin as it is making sure the town is defended; I hate to say it, but we don't have the manpower to spare to search the entire Garvius Mountains for Sasha.”

Down a fifteen foot hallway with polished wooden floors, you come to a sizable open room extending, its roof extending up, same as the second floor's. Many of the doors are open and the roof has a large circular window, providing plenty of illumination. A large stairway occupied the center of the northern side of the room, to the right of the hall which the party entered by.

The man shifts his weight slightly, “Right, about Sasha. It's best to meet with Lady Thyri about that. Please wait here a moment.”

The plated captain walks up the stairs, disappearing into a side room and closing the door behind himself. A moment later he reappears, calling down to the party, “Lady Thyri will see you now.”

Linguz
2012-07-06, 09:13 AM
When the captain had left, Shanar took a moment to get herself presentable. When he returned, she followed him to the Lady. She waited until Lady Tyria spoke, to be cordial.

hoverfrog
2012-07-06, 09:56 AM
"Harfil," Klar'ith clangs his full plate for emphasis, "these armoured types seem to like you. If you will speak for us I would grant the blessings of the spirits of home and hearth upon you first. With your permission?" A simple orison of Guidance may improve Harfil's already considerable skills when talking to Lady Thyri.

WyvernLord
2012-07-06, 04:49 PM
Harfil stood at ready calming himself to ensure his words were picked well when they would get to see the Lady Thyri. He turns to and speaks in an even tone.
"I would appreciate the blessings greatly. Perhaps you should tell me more about the spirits later. I'm afraid I didn't pay much attention to that aspect of my training."
Hearing the call from upstairs, Harfil takes long strides to the room Lady Thyri is waiting in. Once in he steps to the side and bows.

danzibr
2012-07-06, 06:44 PM
The second floor is much as the first, high quality but not showy. Captain Mansour stands beside an open door leading to one of the smaller rooms, most of its furnishings a small square wooden table and four matching chairs, two off to the side near a short bookshelf. The table has a map on it, its corners held down by four bland stones.

The woman, an attractive brunette, partially leaning over the table must be Lady Thyri. Similar in style to her house, she wears fine clothes, but nothing gaudy. Keeping one hand on the map, she fully stands and offers a smile, “I am Lady Thyri. Captain Mansour informs me you may be able to help us. I hate to be so abrupt, but before we go any further I have to ask: are you serious about helping us?”

Linguz
2012-07-06, 07:09 PM
Shanar leaned forward and looked into Thyri's eyes. "Miss, not to offend you, but I don't spend my time heading to a city in need if I'm not serious and the mere suggestion that I might be here wasting both of our times is... let's just say, you shouldn't do it. Now, let me borrow some of that abruptness, give us details. Where are the goblins, what weapons are they using, what armor is for the soldiers, what armor do the leaders wear, what is an estimate of their forces, where was Sasha captured, what does Sasha look like, and anything else you might know."

danzibr
2012-07-06, 08:50 PM
The brunette woman smiles, "Excellent. I never much cared for beating around the bush." She motions to the map on the table, "I'll tell you everything I know. For starters, there are more than just Goblins. As odd as this sounds, Goblins and Hobgoblins are cooperating with Bugbears, Kobolds, and Orcs. They've fought each for decades, giving us a peaceful life here in Birch, but no longer.

"Unfortunately, we only have guesses regarding their location. Pale Lookout," she points to a spot on the map north of the Lesh Highway past a bend in the road, "has had lights at night recently. We don't know if its allied Goblins and Orcs or otherwise. As for their weapons, nothing of high quality, but certainly still effective. Crossbows, javelins, morningstars, longswords. Fortunately we haven't had any of them capable of wielding magic attack the city. Their armor is also simple: leather, studded leather, light shields.

"And their numbers. Hundreds, thousands, ten thousand. The Dwarves built huge fortresses beneath the Garvius Mountains and the Goblins and whatnot have been vying for them, again, for decades."

Lady Thyri sighs, "And my Sasha. She looks like me, but younger and with red hair. She has a personality you can't miss. She went missing... well, let me take a step back. Birch has long since sent scouting parties into the Gravius Mountains. Never much past Pale Lookout, however. We just want to make sure the Orcs, Goblins and Kobolds are fighting amongst themselves; if any one faction were to gain supremacy, Birch would likely be in danger.

“A few years ago my husband, the previous captain of the guard before Captain Mansour, died during a standard reconnaissance trip. We killed the ones that did it, a band of Hobgoblins, but our daughter, Sasha, bears a deep hatred for anything that lives in the Gravius Mountains. She volunteers to go on every scouting mission.

“Now this is where you come in. For the first time in years, an entire scouting party went missing, my daughter among them. This happened three weeks ago. We sent out parties to try to find them, but they all came back empty-handed. We also sent riders to the nearby towns, which is undoubtedly how you heard we were in need of help.”

Lady Thyri points at the map again, near the same bend in the Lesh Highway south of Birch, “And that's when the lights I mentioned started coming from Pale Lookout at night. We sent a party to investigate, but they never came back. At this point we lack the troops to make a move. I pray every morning and every night for Sasha's safety, but no matter what happened, I have to know. If she was captured by anything with intelligence, she would've told them who she was and they'd ransom her, but we haven't received any ransom notes. I pray she's safe.”

She raises her eyes from the map, “Should you accept, your purpose is twofold: find my daughter and investigate Pale Lookout, and I suspect these two things might be one in the same. And while you're up at the lookout, have a look to the south and see if anything looks off.”

hoverfrog
2012-07-07, 01:18 AM
"To hold together a force of five races, numbering up to ten thousand, who have blood feuds against one another and a history of conflict would take powerful leadership." Klar'ith looks over the map and tries to remember if there is anything significant in the history of Pale Lookout.

"Hobgoblins have always ruled over goblins and taken bugbears as powerful shock troops and bodyguards. This is known. Yet goblins lack discipline and are a treacherous race prone to turn on their masters. I have heard of kobolds being enslaved by stronger races. They are masters of trap and ambush and, though weak individually, they are numerous and crafty." He pauses to scratch at the tribal scars on his neck, "Orcs though are strong and fiercely independent. Our ways have always been clan and sept first. To join with these lesser races must mean that a warlord of great power has united the Garvius tribes and dominated the goblinoids. A warlord would seek to unite the other orcs under the same banner. My people included. The Iron Wolf Clan will not stand for this."

Knowledge History for information about Pale Lookout beyond what we already know [roll0]

WyvernLord
2012-07-07, 02:26 AM
Harfil looks extremely worried at this news.
"This does not bode well for anyone. Unification on this scale causes massive destruction. But you have my word as a knight of Heironeous that I will do all in my power to protect this village from any threats."
Harfil looks at Lady Thyri watching her reaction to words.
"Do we have any support or is this a situation where you need people here to defend?"

danzibr
2012-07-07, 07:32 AM
Klar'ith knows that Pale Lookout was built by the departed Dwarves to look over the Garvius Mountains. Supposedly, one can see for a hundred miles from its second story. Approximately seventeen miles away from Birch, its most recently known inhabitants were Ogres, though the Goblins, Orcs and Kobolds may have moved in.

Lady Thyri listens to Klar'ith's words, waiting until it's clear he's finished so as not to interrupt, "Their apparent cooperation is indeed troubling. I'm glad you take these issues to heart.

"Thank you Harfil, knight of Heironeous," the brunette woman responds, then takes on a slightly pained expression. "I'd like to offer you aid, but I'm afraid we've lost good men and women in the past few weeks and the watch is spread thin. Perhaps Brother Jim and Poppy can provide goods on my behalf to help you with your tasks." She approaches one of the shelves to retrieve parchment along with quill and ink. Returning to the main table, she writes a few words before blowing on it for the ink to dry, then rolling it up, securing it with a ribbon and handing it over, "Show this to Brother Jim and Poppy and they should help you."

Lady Thyri pauses, then asks, "Are there any other questions? I greatly appreciate your aid in this matter, and I'll offer what reward I can."

BelGareth
2012-07-07, 10:09 AM
Jeor just waits for them to stop talking, he had made himself look the fool to much already and wasn't about to do so in front of this lady.

He then finds himself stepping forward one foot and opens his mouth "Yes Ma'am, I think having the towns folk closing their doors might help out with any future incursions." Having said his piece he steps back to where he was standing.

Inside his head he was mentally berating himself.

WHY did you HAVE to say that!

niw18
2012-07-07, 12:20 PM
Volskan had followed he was not very comfortable in cities as they restricted him from being as moble as he would like to be. He would just stand there and watch as they moved to another building and noticed the women and heard her out. He was shocked to hear of such a thing as those races unfiing like that. He was more shocked by his friend speaking up as he was not type spoken like that unless it was needed. He would just stand near door and watch to see what the others well do as we are deffently outnumbered in that battle if they made presence to well known.

WyvernLord
2012-07-07, 01:12 PM
Harfil snorts and looks away. Recomposing himself he bows to Lady Thyri.
"I thank you greatly for this. Though is there a place where we can rest? Of the threat is as dangerous as you say then we may need to return to rest occasionally."

danzibr
2012-07-07, 07:02 PM
Lady Thyri gives Jeor a slightly confused look, "Open doors? It gets a bit warm during the day for everyone to leave their doors closed, but I'll take it into consideration."

The brunette woman turns back to Harfil, "You're welcome to rest here or at the Salty Dragon. Womar is a kind woman despite how she behaves. As for on the Lesh Highway, there's a small house on the west side of the bend several miles south of town, but not much beyond that, I'm afraid. As it is yet morning, it would be difficult yet reasonable to go to Pale Lookout, investigate and return here before nightfall."

Linguz
2012-07-08, 11:46 AM
Shanar nodded. "Then I guess we better be off. Everyone ready?"

hoverfrog
2012-07-08, 04:08 PM
"One moment, Shanar, if it please you." Klar'ith is conscious that he often spends too long making plans and not enough time acting but is unwilling to miss any opportunity. "M'lady, pray tell me if there are any prisoners from the goblin forces that we could question? A translator would be useful as well or a kobold, if you have one, I can speak as well with kobolds almost as well as I speak my mother tongue. Any intelligence of Pale Lookout or of the warlord's plans, assuming there is a warlord, would help us greatly. We don't want to stumble upon a band of ogres when we're expecting kobolds."

Feeling increasing self conscious and unused to speaking in front of groups he continues, "The good citizens of Birch have told us where previous attacks were staged. They are simply tradesmen though. Can you tell us of the strength of the goblin attacks? If they typically attack in groups of ten then it changes our response compared to if they attack in groups of twenty or fifty. Can you tell us why you think that Birch is being raided? If it naught but the placement of this town or is there a history of hostility that you can share with us. Goblins are vindictive creatures who will carry a grudge for generations. If they do have some grudge then mayhap it will aid us in our struggles against them. We may taunt them with it or deceive them into believing that we agree with them or whatever circumstances allow us."

Acutely embarrassed now and feeling almost as if he does dishonour to himself he struggles on, "There is also a small matter of reward. We are noble men (and woman) true but needs must eat and live. That takes gold, silver and iron. Is there a bounty on goblins slain? Is the gratitude of nobility and the rescue of her daughter heir something that a crude figure could be placed next to? At the least surely selling the spoils of war would be free from whatever local taxes that might be imposed upon us."

danzibr
2012-07-08, 05:23 PM
"Unfortunately," the brunette woman starts, "we have no captives. In recent days we've thought to capture at least one of our assailants, but the only survivors flee.

"The previous attacks have only been twelve at most, mostly Goblins and Hobgoblins, though there were one or two Orcs and Kobolds, and always at night. I don't think it was their aim to actually overrun the city, but rather steal what they could before escaping. Fortunately, our guard is ever vigilant."

Lady Thyri gives an understanding nod at Klar'ith's final words, “Of course. We didn't expect people to put themselves in danger for free." She sighs lightly, "At the moment, all I can guarantee is two thousand gold pieces, most of it my own. It's not that I don't value my daughter, but Birch simply is not a wealthy town."

hoverfrog
2012-07-10, 09:14 AM
"You are most generous m'lady and our questions have been answered. It seems that we must seek our own captives and put them to the question ourselves." Klar'ith looks forward to combat again, "If the spirits are willing we'll have news of your daughter before the sun rises. If they smile on us may even have her back by then." He gives a toothy grin full of confidence and slams the butt of his shortspear into the floorboards resonantly for emphasis.

danzibr
2012-07-11, 06:43 AM
Lady Thyri inclines her head in a slight bow, "Thank you, Klar'ith. As a mother and leader of Birch, your efforts mean more to me than you may know."

WyvernLord
2012-07-12, 01:03 AM
Harfil nods and smiles.
"We might not know, but that doesn't matter much. Doing the right thing is its own reward. But never decline food or supplies, a starving hero isn't one of much use.
I do believe we may head to Pale Lookout but there is no guarantee we will be back by tonight. We should have some preliminary reports by tomorrow though. I think we should leave some supplies at the abandoned house just in case we can't get all the way back to town for anyone reason. I believe we have all the information we need now time to prepare."
He salutes and turns to leave. Heading to gather some food and first aid supplies to leave at the house on our way to Pale Lookout.

danzibr
2012-07-12, 07:02 AM
Taking his leave, Harfil makes his down the stairs, out of Lady Thyri's house, and east past the Lesh Highway to the fourth building on the right, Poppy's shop. Looking through the open windows, it's clear the building has at least two rooms, a larger in the front which serves as a shop, and a smaller in the back, likely Poppy's living quarters. There are more open windows on the east and west sides.

Also through the windows, an assortment of goods are visible, scattered amongst numerous relatively short shelves, everything from tindertwigs to crowbars to tents. A female Halfling, perhaps three feet tall and clad in fine-looking leather armor, is sitting on a counter reading a book.

The door, although closed, reads, "Open for business" in several languages, not all written by the same hand and in a number of alphabets.
Although I wrote Harfil, I assume the entire party's going.

Also, for getting more than the minimum campaign-advancing info from the cap and lady, everyone gets exp as though overcoming a CR 4 encounter, so 450 per person.

EDIT: Also, though not written, I figured the party would easily figure out where the general store was.

Linguz
2012-07-12, 09:24 AM
Shanar went into the store and handed the lady's paper to the one she assumes is named Poppy. "Thyri told us to give you this and you'd be able to help."

danzibr
2012-07-12, 12:25 PM
Upon Shanar opening the door, the Halfling woman--short as most Halflings are, and with long curly blonde hair--looks up from her book with a smile, not surprised in the least to see Voldur in her shop. Though she stays seated on her counter, her head still doesn't reach more than five feet high.

"I was wondering if you'd show up," she says. "I'm Poppy. I heard just a few minutes ago there were Voldur in town, looking to help Lady Thyri."

After reading the letter passed over by Shanar, Poppy gives a deep nod, curls bouncing, "A friend of Lady Thyri's is a friend of mine." She swings her legs around the counter, retrieving some objects from beneath the back of her counter with a clank, passing them over. They're five stopped vials, "This ought to help. I can't do any magic myself, but I do a fair amount of trade, as you can imagine. And feel free to buy whatever you will, but those potions are the only things that're free."
Party gets 2 potions of Enlarge Person, 1 of Reduce Person, 1 of Bull's Strength, 1 of Invisibility. They all last 3 minutes.

Linguz
2012-07-12, 12:30 PM
Shanar asks Poppy, "Potions... what are they?"

WyvernLord
2012-07-12, 01:19 PM
"A generous gift indeed. Your investment into this endeavor will not be wasted."
Harfil bows to Poppy.
"Now onto other business. We need three days food each and some first aid supplies. Do you have an everburning torch? I've wanted one of those for some time. And finally some extra sacks.
Do you know where we could get a mule or a horse?"
I pull out some gold to pay for the stuff I asked for.

danzibr
2012-07-12, 03:57 PM
The Halfling faces Shanar, "To the best of my knowledge, two of Enlarge Person, one of Reduce Person, one of Bull's Strength, one of Invisibility. They all last 3 minutes. Don't get them mixed up."

"Indeed, I have all of that, even the animal. A donkey, in fact." She hops off of the counter and goes around the back to a door fit for her height. Poppy cracks the door, says something in a foreign language, then walks past the party and out the door, saying, "Toly's in the back if you need anything. I'll be back in a minute with your donkey."

Linguz
2012-07-12, 04:08 PM
After being told which potion is which potion, Shanar asked, "How much would something to label them cost?"

hoverfrog
2012-07-12, 05:41 PM
"I need to stock up on components for my spells while we're here." Klar'ith looks about the shelves idly, "Potions, eh? Always useful they are. We can mark the bottles with a blob of wax and scratch a symbol into it or tie a ribbon around the neck as a label."

"I wonder," he says pondering the shopping list, "one of those magical bags that carry an enormous amount would be most useful though I expect that only a large city would have anything so expensive." He repeats these questions to Poppy when she returns.

danzibr
2012-07-13, 07:01 AM
Poppy returns minutes later leading a donkey, far taller than herself. Tying the beast up outside, she reenters her shop.

"Just a moment," she says to Shanar, returning to behind her counter. A few seconds later she retrieves five different brightly colored pieces of string and hands them over. "It's not ribbon as your friend suggested, but it should work."

Poppy shakes her head to Harfil, "Sorry, I don't have any of those."

Linguz
2012-07-13, 07:10 AM
Shanar ties the potions with a string each and memorizes which colors are which potions. "Free of charge... or how much?"

danzibr
2012-07-13, 12:38 PM
"For the string?" Poppy asks. "I run a business here, but you can consider the strings and potions as a package. If you really want to pay me, the strings aren't worth more than a copper total."

Linguz
2012-07-13, 04:55 PM
"I don't really have anything besides gold and the like, so I'd rather not. That'd be a lot of change for me. Thank you, though."

hoverfrog
2012-07-13, 05:17 PM
"I think that we need to scout out the enemy before determining what we need in the way of additional equipment" Klar'ith looks down at the halfling, "Miss Poppy, do you have a regular supply of potions, scrolls and such or are these the sum of your trading over the years?"

"We go to rescue the child of Lady Thyri. Many goblins will die by our hands and their weapons, armour and goods will become our plunder. We have no need of their paltry goods but may wish to sell them for profit. Will you act as our agent and secure us a fair price for the just spoils of our war?" He waits for an answer, it would be good to have a way to profit from the prowess of superior voldur strength.

danzibr
2012-07-13, 07:59 PM
Poppy hops back up to her counter, not having to crane her neck so much to address Shanar, "You're most welcome."

She turns to Klar'ith, "Oh, I have a number of such goods. The potions I gave you all were a sampling, though Brother Jim deals more with the restoratives. And between Rhokag and myself I'm sure we can find a home for your spoils."
You can buy anything up to 800g here... so limited magic mart.

hoverfrog
2012-07-17, 06:30 AM
"We were reasonably well provisioned before we came to Birch, Poppy. I do have a list of scrolls that I seek to acquire to grow my spell book. These can wait until we return from our mission though." Klar'ith takes a sheet of paper and dips a quill into a pot of ink and starts a long list of arcane spells that he wants.

"These, " he grins handing the list over, "also this ink and quill and a dozen spare sheets of paper. Let me know if scrolls become available." He puts down the gold and packs the things carefully into his backpack.

danzibr
2012-07-17, 07:43 AM
"I'll be sure to have them ready upon your return," Poppy says, eyeing the list. "If there's nothing else, I suggest you make your way to Brother Jim before the morning draws on much further. It's quite a ways to Pale Lookout."

WyvernLord
2012-07-18, 08:33 PM
Harfil nods his head.
"Thank you for your assistance Ma'am, we'll be heading there now."
He bows once more and leaves to head to Brother Jim.

danzibr
2012-07-18, 10:18 PM
Harfil exits Poppy's shop, heads west and goes to the first building on the left, Birch's lone nondenominational church, a place for all to praise. The door is wide open, welcoming any who wish to enter.

Within the buildings, not exceptionally deep but quite wide, are a number of pews and a few generic-looking altars. A casually dressed Halfling is the only resident, placing some fresh food on the central altar.

Upon the party entering, he turns to them, initially with a smile on his face. Realizing the party consists of Voldur, he looks taken aback for a second, then hastily clears his throat and puts his smile back on, "Welcome to the church of Birch. I'm Brother Jim. Are you here for worship?"

WyvernLord
2012-07-18, 11:22 PM
Harfil bows to the priest.
"Unfortunately not.
We were informed that you could help us in our investigation about the peoples of the mountain though. We would be deeply grateful for any assistance."

hoverfrog
2012-07-19, 05:26 AM
"I shall pray to the ancestors and the spirits of war and darkness at your little altars, Brother Jim." Klar'ith heads to the part of the church that seems to have the most martial oriented altar and begins a silent prayer for victory in battle. He keeps an ear on the conversation so as not to miss anything.

danzibr
2012-07-19, 07:43 AM
Brother Jim takes the letter from Lady Thyri, giving it a quick read, then nods to himself. He wordlessly enters a small room in the back, then returns with four stoppered, nearly spherical bottles, passing them to Harfil, "It's a good deed you're doing, looking for Sasha. It's not much, but please take these. They'll heal your wounds slightly once imbibed."

The Halfling gives Klar'ith an unpleasant expression, "Can't say we get many people praying to the spirits of darkness around here, though many men of the watch pray to gods of battle."

"I'll pray for your safe return," he says before returning to the central altar and resuming tending to the fresh food.
Party gets 4 potions of Cure Light Wounds, caster level 5.

hoverfrog
2012-07-19, 08:55 AM
Klar'ith is well used to dirty looks from strangers but after speaking with Poppy he is nevertheless taken aback by Brother Jim's attitude. "Darkness hides the hunter, it is a cloak worn by the wary. You act as if there is something bad about the spirits of the night."

danzibr
2012-07-19, 11:15 AM
Brother Jim nervously clears his throat, "Oh, ahem, I meant no offense. When I heard the word darkness my mind doesn't go to, well, darkness, but rather..." he trails off, unsure what to say.

Instead he simply bows, "My apologies."

hoverfrog
2012-07-20, 05:33 AM
"Accepted and we thank you for these gifts. These potions as well as the prayers." There is no doubt in Klar'ith's mind as to which is the more important for the spirits are fickle and sow their favours wildly.

Linguz
2012-07-20, 09:14 AM
Currently, Shanar is against the back wall. She doesn't mention anything, but just watches.

(Just to say that she's still alive and whatnot...)

Electrobolt
2012-07-20, 06:37 PM
Borkan, generally the silent type, is next to Shanar as he too simply watched in silence. Had he anything he wanted to say, he would have spoken up already.

(Yeah, basically the same here)

danzibr
2012-07-22, 07:38 AM
Finishing arranging the fresh food on the central altar, Brother Jim begins offering prayers in a foreign language.

Linguz
2012-07-22, 07:43 AM
Shanar sees the brother begin working on his own work, so she turns around and leaves the church. If nobody follows her, she pops her head back in and asks, "Anyone coming?"

danzibr
2012-07-24, 08:13 AM
The party follows Shanar out of the house of worship and down the Lesh Highway, heading toward the distant Pale Lookout. A few hours of travel later, now past midday, the party arrives at a sharp bend in the road.
Spot checks:
Harfil - [roll0]
Shanar - [roll1]
Borkan - [roll2]
Klar'ith - [roll3]
Volskan - [roll4]
Initiative:
Harfil - [roll5]
Shanar - [roll6]
Borkan - [roll7]
Klar'ith - [roll8]
Volskan - [roll9]
Map:
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n552/danzibr/battle001-2.png
Couple notes on the map:
First of all, if you're unhappy with the marching order, feel free to say something. The road looking stuff is, well, the road. The light brown is rough path, but no impeding movement. The dark gray is mountainous bluffs.

The guys on 1 are not 15' to the left but rather 15' up. Similarly, guys on 2 are 10' up rather than 10' right.

And you can't see the house from where you are, but you know of it.

Lastly, the dudes (which your characters may or may not see) are lying prone with crossbows. Except the SW dude. He has no crossbow.

danzibr
2012-07-24, 08:24 AM
Shanar, Klar'ith and Volskan notice creatures lying on plateaus ten feet up to the party's left, but only Shanar notices the creatures on the party's right. They look to stand three to three and a half feet tall, roughly forty pounds. Their eyes are dull and glazed, varying in color from red to yellow, skin color ranging from yellow through any shade of orange to a deep red. They wear drab, soiled-looking leather armor and have crossbows, pointed at the party.

The only exception is the southwest-most creature. It resembles the others but is substantially larger, wearing studded leather and wielding a longsword and light shield.

Turn order:
Bad dudes are numbered clockwise from top right. So the bigger dude is #3, for example.
Volskan
Harfil
Shanar
Borkan
Klar'ith
#6 (unconscious)

Also, I'll be updating the map after every turn. If there's any ambiguity as to where a guy is, lmk. Also, lmk if you want a grid on the map.

EDIT: Also, I meant to roll their initiatives using the forum roller, but didn't want to edit it into the last post. All future initiative rolls for baddies will be on the forum.

Linguz
2012-07-24, 09:52 AM
Shanar speaks quickly, "Four to our left, two to our right. Up on the ridge." She pulls out her composite shortbow as she spins on her heels, turning to look at the enemies to her right. She calls out, to them in general, "Lay down your arms and we'll spare your life!"

hoverfrog
2012-07-24, 11:24 AM
Klar'ith was about to yell a warning about the goblins he's spotted on the left when Shanar's words surprise him and he looks to the right too. He stops to crank a bolt into his heavy crossbow, getting as much cover behind the others as he can.

danzibr
2012-07-29, 03:36 PM
Thanks to Shanar alerting the party, the Goblins don't get the jump on the Voldur.
Round 1: as normal. Volskan and Harfil go.

niw18
2012-07-30, 11:53 AM
volskan would look in the direction that his fellow voldur brethren looked in and ready with bow as he knew from previous missions that there might be an ambush coming soon. He would move closer to Klar’ith in hopes to pick off the goblin she had spotted before he reports it to whoever he worked for.

attack
[roll0]

danzibr
2012-07-30, 06:58 PM
Volskan's arrow flies true, skewering the poor prone Goblin. It slumps over.
Goblin #6 unconscious (I'm assuming that's the one you attacked). Harfil's up.
Updated map. Let me know if you actually moved.
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n552/danzibr/battle002.jpg

WyvernLord
2012-08-01, 06:46 PM
Harfil starts running up the sloped path, drawing his shield and axe.
Move 20' south? (down on the map)

danzibr
2012-08-02, 06:54 AM
The Hobgoblin, #3, shouts something which sounds like profanity, sheathes his sword and frees a javelin from his back.
Shanar's up.

Linguz
2012-08-03, 02:07 PM
Shanar takes aim at the enemy on the eastern ridge closest to her and releases an arrow.
Attack: [roll0]
Check: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] (x3 crit)

danzibr
2012-08-04, 08:57 AM
Shanar's arrow barely misses its target; surely it would have hit had the Goblin not been lying down.

The Goblin just north of the Hobgoblin on the western ridge fires at the running Harfil, then reloads its light crossbow.
Attack:[roll0]
Confirm:[roll1]
Damage:[roll2]
The southeastern Goblin likewise fires at the moving Voldur, also reloading its crossbow afterwards.
Attack:[roll3]
Confirm:[roll4]
Damage:[roll5]

danzibr
2012-08-04, 09:01 AM
The first Goblin misses terribly, while the second's bolt glances off his armor.
Borkan and Klar'ith, you're up.

hoverfrog
2012-08-05, 02:24 AM
Once the heavy crossbow is cranked and loaded Klar'ith walks closer to the attackers on the east slopes. "You have one chance to flee and we will spare your lives. Throw down your weapons and run," He repeats his warning in Orcish and Draconic.

Once he's within 30' he looses his crossbow bolt at the closest one who is still armed.

Hit roll [roll0]
Critical 19-20/x2 [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Electrobolt
2012-08-05, 07:07 PM
Seeing that none of the enemies are reachable by normal means, Borkan pulls out his light crossbow, not moving from position. He then loads it with a bolt, ready to fire whenever.

danzibr
2012-08-06, 07:08 AM
Klar'ith steps 15' southwest, firing upon upon the Goblin west-southwest of him. Like Shanar, Klar'ith's bolt would definitely had hit had the target not been lying down.

The Goblin returns fire, then reloads its crossbow.
Confirm: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
The last to react, the northern Goblin of the eastern ridge shoots at Borkan before feeding its crossbow another bolt.
Attack: [roll3]
Confirm: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

danzibr
2012-08-06, 07:17 AM
Klar'ith armorless body is pierced by the first Goblin's bolt, while Borkan manages to dodge the projectile coming his way.
Begin round 2.
Back to Volskan and Harfil.
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n552/danzibr/battle003-3.jpg

hoverfrog
2012-08-06, 07:53 AM
Klar'ith steps 15' southwest, firing upon upon the Goblin west-southwest of him. Like Shanar, Klar'ith's bolt would definitely had hit had the target not been lying down.Sorry but I was heading east, not west. I'm aiming for the side with the least opponents. If we can take them out first we can use the slope on the west for our own cover.

Also could you number the goblins on the map and put a cross through the dead\unconscious one please. Goblin 1 is at 4 o'clock to Klar'ith from your first map, right? I was heading in that direction.

Thanks.

WyvernLord
2012-08-07, 02:22 AM
Harfil roars running up the road. Yelling in orcish.
Face me if you dare cowards. Or will you run, you sniveling little rabbits.
Harfil continues up the path using a double move. 40' up towards the western path

WyvernLord
2012-08-13, 07:39 AM
Invisible post? :smallconfused:

danzibr
2012-08-13, 06:45 PM
NPC'ed into action...: Volskan steps 20' SW toward the nearest conscious Goblin and loses an arrow.
The lone Hobgoblin hurls his javelin at the rushing Harfil before stepping 5' southward and pulling free his longsword, bellowing back things which sound none too nice in what must be Goblin.

danzibr
2012-08-13, 06:54 PM
Volskan's arrow flies true a second time, skewering the creature. The Hobgoblin is not so skilled, his javelin landing far behind Harfil.
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n552/danzibr/battle004.jpg
Shanar's up! lmk if anything's funny with the map

Linguz
2012-08-13, 07:48 PM
Shanar takes her shortbow and fires an arrow at the closest goblin to her (6, I believe).

Critical: [roll3]

danzibr
2012-08-13, 08:02 PM
Shanar's arrow again barely misses its mark.

The surviving western Goblin, #4, returns fire against Volskan and then places another bolt in its crossbow.
The southeastern Goblin, #2, shoots at the plated Voldur.
Turn order again:
Just so that we don't have to go back to page 5. Bad dudes are numbered clockwise from top right.
Volskan
Harfil
Shanar
Borkan
Klar'ith
#5 (unconscious)
#6 (unconscious)

danzibr
2012-08-13, 08:04 PM
Volskan dodges by a fair margin while Harfil's armor deflects the second's bolt.
So we're to Borkan and Klar'ith.

Electrobolt
2012-08-13, 08:12 PM
Borkan moves ten feet to get a straight line of fire at the goblin closest to them (aka move me 2 squares down from my marker so I'm in the same row as #1) and aims his crossbow at the creature. Once he feels his aim is good, Borkan lets the bolt loose.

Threat if applicable: [roll1]
Crit if applicable: [roll3]

hoverfrog
2012-08-14, 12:44 AM
Klar'ith moves south and slightly west so that he is as near to parallel to the second creature on the east slope and within 35 feet. He then unleashes a spell on goblin 2.

Cause Fear (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/causeFear.htm) DC 13
Duration 1 round or [roll0] rounds
Concentration check if required [roll1]

danzibr
2012-08-14, 07:30 AM
Borkan's bolt rips through the poor creature's pinky, making it screech in excruciating pain as blood sprays the air. For an instant it looks like it'll faint from the grievous wound, but the Goblin gathers itself, hands on its crossbow.

Goblin #2 eyes widen in fear upon the completion of Klar'ith's spell.
Will save: [roll0]
Thirst for revenge in its dull yellow eyes, Goblin #1 returns fire upon Borkan, then reloads its crossbow.
Attack: [roll1]
Confirm: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

danzibr
2012-08-14, 07:37 AM
Goblin #2 soils itself as Klar'ith becomes the thing of nightmares. Goblin #1's wounded pinky seems to give it a disadvantage, missing by a fair margin.

Round 3:
Hmm, that went pretty quickly. Back to Harfil and Volskan.
Map:
Again lmk if anyone wants to be somewhere different.
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n552/danzibr/battle005.png

niw18
2012-08-17, 11:39 PM
He had moved ten feet and then aimed his bow at goblin four making sure that he did not get caught in a close range combat as it was not his thing. He would then release the arrow and fired at it hoping to kill it as his last shot was rather close and almost got him.

attack
[roll0]

damage
[roll1]

danzibr
2012-08-18, 06:42 AM
Since round 3 began, I need to do mystery rolls... *dun dun dun*. Actually I should've done it in the last post. Shouldn't be much of a difference.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
Volskan steps ten feet southward and fires, arrow barely striking the prone Goblin, but striking it nonetheless. The creature appears grievously wounded, barely clinging onto consciousness.

Harfil makes a double move, bringing himself right next to the Hobgoblin.

Harfil within reach, the Hobgoblin swings his unusually high quality longsword at the Voldur.

danzibr
2012-08-18, 06:47 AM
Harfil's plated armor easily absorbs the blow.
Also, I hit the post button before I was finished with the first spoilered rolls... there were supposed to be 3 with +1 and the final with a +2.
[roll0]
Shanar's up. And new map:
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n552/danzibr/battle006.png

Linguz
2012-08-18, 09:18 AM
Shanar fired another arrow at the goblin she's been shooting at, and then moved thirty feet south.

Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] (Crit, x3)

Electrobolt
2012-08-18, 01:10 PM
OOC:
Assuming your OOC topic's comment meant we can go on ahead with our actions...

Borkan took another bolt out as he loaded it into the light crossbow (move action) before looking back to goblin #1. He then aimed the crossbow before letting it loose. (standard)

Threat (if applicable) : [roll1]

hoverfrog
2012-08-19, 01:13 AM
Klar'ith cranks his heavy crossbow, fits a bolt to it and prepares to fire at goblin 1 or 2 next round.

danzibr
2012-08-19, 11:49 AM
Events of turn 3:

Shanar's arrow grazes Goblin #1, adding a second injury above its pinky wound.

Looking incredibly disoriented, Goblin #4 shakily stands.

Terror gleaming in its dull eyes, Goblin #2 stands and bolts 30' southeast.

(fluff) There's the sound of a door banging open in the distance. One Hobgoblin and three Goblins flood out, two looking much like the others who have been assaulting the party with crossbows, the third wearing no armor and wielding no visible weapon, clutching only a stick in its hand. Its eyes have a more intelligent quality to them.

(crunch) Goblin #10 moves and opens the shack door.

Goblin #7 exits the house and, seeing Harfil, conjures a simple spell, projecting it in his direction.
Harfil's will save: [roll0]

Goblin #9 steps near its spell-wielding comrade but doesn't quite have a clear shot on Harfil, deciding to take another step for a better position.

The new Hobgoblin, #8, steps out adjacent to Harfil.

Borkan's bolt digs into the small creature's flesh, making it slump over.

Klar'ith gets ready to fire his crossbow.

New turn order:
Volskan
Harfil
Shanar
#4 (disabled)
#2 (feared)
Borkan
Klar'ith
#5 (unconscious)
#6 (unconscious)
#1 (unconscious)
New map:
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n552/danzibr/battle007.png

danzibr
2012-08-19, 11:52 AM
The magic is too strong for Harfil to resist, his mind suddenly blanking.
Dazed for one round.
Round 4
Everyone feel free to post your actions. Except Harfil, sorry :(

Electrobolt
2012-08-19, 12:28 PM
Borkan pulls yet another bolt out of his case and loads it into his crossbow, before looking around. Unable to really get a good feel from his position, he decided to move directly next to where Klar'ith was currently standing.

OOC
Basically, on the new map, move me to the immediate left square of where Klar'ith is. AKA, one square to the left and then down five squares

Linguz
2012-08-19, 12:37 PM
Shanar makes her way to Goblin #8, however she can. (Using 2 move actions)

Unless the goblin gets in range after a single one, then Shanar attacks him after 1 move actions.

hoverfrog
2012-08-19, 12:52 PM
Klar'ith moves 20' south and a 10' west and casts Bless. It's a 50' burst and should catch everyone.

niw18
2012-08-20, 12:30 PM
Volskan would had felt magic of a blessing and shrug thank full for it before moving to to next goblin closer to him and fire his arrow at it

attack roll
[roll0]

damage if hits

[roll1]

danzibr
2012-08-20, 01:15 PM
Volskan moves 10' south and fires upon Hobgoblin #3, unfortunately missing, though fortunately not hitting his friend Harfil.

Harfil regains his senses, shrugging off the effects of the daze.

Hobgoblin steps behind Harfil and swings its exquisite longsword at the plated Voldur.

Shanar moves twice, drawing near Hobgoblin #8.

Still looking disoriented, Goblin #4 shuffles a bit to the southwest.

Goblin #2 continues running for its life to the east.

Goblin #10 runs out to join its comrades, then fires upon Shanar with its crossbow.
The unarmored Goblin #7 sits tight and conjures a spell, making a golden burst of particles explode beside Shanar and covering everything within 10' in sparkling dust.
Will save for Harfil: [roll6]
Will save for Shanar: [roll7]

Goblin #9 also fires upon Shanar before reloading.
Attack: [roll8]
Confirm: [roll9]
Damage: [roll10]
Hobgoblin #8 swings its average longsword at Harfil.
Attack: [roll11]
Confirm: [roll12]
Damage: [roll13]
Borkan makes his move beside Klar'ith and reloads his crossbow.

Klar'ith also makes his move, then conjures holy magic, imbuing everyone with courage.

danzibr
2012-08-20, 01:24 PM
Harfil takes a serious wound from Hobgoblin #3's weapon as it just barely overcomes his defenses, receiving 12 damage.

Shanar just manages to dodge Goblin #10's crossbow bolt.

Harfil and Shanar are both blinded by the sparkling particles.

Goblin #9's bolt sinks into Shanar's leg, dealing 4 damage.

Even blinded, Harfil shrugs off the weaker Hobgoblin #8's blow.

Turn 5:
Well, that was rough. Feel free to post whenever. As for the map, Goblin #2 is way off to the east.

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n552/danzibr/battle008.png

Linguz
2012-08-20, 01:32 PM
Shanar felt the wall and went backwards, heading away from the fight.

2 squares east.
3 squares north.
1 square west.
That should put me out of sight of the enemies, no?

Electrobolt
2012-08-20, 06:06 PM
Seemingly having a clear shot at goblin #3, Borkan took up his crossbow and aimed it at the creature. Having received a blessing of sorts, his aim felt slightly improved, as he then loosed the bolt. Afterwards, he pulled yet another bolt out and loaded it into his crossbow.

Threat: [roll1]

hoverfrog
2012-08-21, 12:21 AM
Klar'ith moves to the path and forward so as to catch as many goblins in his spell arc as possible then he unleashes a colour spray against them.

15' cone shaped burst but I'm assuming that the goblins will move a bit closer to me. If they don't move I can catch goblin 3 and 8, if they do move then I want to catch goblins 7 through 10 if possible.

Happily sightless creatures are not affected by colour spray so I have no qualms against hitting my own party with an area of effect spell.
Concentration check if anyone attacks me [roll0]

danzibr
2012-08-22, 08:42 PM
Volskan sits tight and shoots at Hobgoblin #3.
Knowing the creatures stands before him, Harfil swings his masterwork battle axe in conjunction with the Steel Wind maneuver at Hobgoblins #3 and #8.
'Cause he's just that cool.
Roll for concealment against #3: [roll3] (one miss, two hit)
Attack: [roll4]
Confirm: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]

Roll for concealment against #8: [roll7] (one miss, two hit)
Attack: [roll8]
Confirm: [roll9]
Damage: [roll10]

(if it's still alive), Hobgoblin #3 swings back at Harfil.
Attack: [roll11]
Confirm: [roll12]
Damage: [roll13]

Shanar makes her move away from combat.

Goblin #4 curls up into a little ball (consider it prone).

Goblin #2 continues running east for its life.

Feeling its Hobgoblin brethren can handle the blinded Voldur, Goblin #10 steps down and past Hobgoblin #8 and fires upon Klar'ith.
Attack: [roll14]
Confirm: [roll15]
Damage: [roll16]

Goblin #7 steps a few feet behind Goblin #10 and conjures a spell, guiding a sizzling green arrow toward Klar'ith.
(Ranged touch) attack: [roll17]
Confirm: [roll18]
Damage (acid): [roll19]

Goblin #9 moves up between Goblins #7 and 10 and fires its crossbow at Klar'ith.
Attack: [roll20]
Confirm: [roll21]
Damage: [roll22]

Hobgoblin #8 strikes at Harfil.
Attack: [roll23]
Confirm: [roll24]
Damage: [roll25]

Borkan releases hell upon Hobgoblin #3. His bolt pierces the creature's vitals, dealing 14 points of damage, dropping it to the ground.

Klar'ith moves and casts Color Spray.

danzibr
2012-08-22, 08:58 PM
Volskan's arrow whizzes by Hobgoblin #3.

Harfil masterfully swings his masterwork battle axe, barely missing his foes. Had he not been unable to see, surely they'd be feeling the pain.

Slightly shaken, Hobgoblin #3 reprises against Harfil, though is unable to hit his blinded foe.

Goblin #10 fumbles with his weapon, missing terribly.

The seemingly unarmored Goblin #7's spell hits home, dealing 4 points of acid damage to Klar'ith, the substance burning his flesh.

Goblin #8's bolt also hits home, barely overcoming Klar'ith's defenses, dealing 3 damage to the mystic Voldur.

Like its comrade, Hobgoblin #8 can't get past Harfil's armor.

An array of dazzling colors spring forth in a cone from Klar'ith's hands.
Originally I was going to let you move, but... this seems like the right place to move ya. Just let me know if you want to be elsewhere.

Goblin #7's will save: [roll0]
Goblin #9's will save: [roll1]
Goblin #10's will save: [roll2]

No AoO as the dude's holding a crossbow.

Turn 6 now:
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n552/danzibr/battle009.png

danzibr
2012-08-22, 09:01 PM
Only Goblin #9 resists Klar'ith's magics. Goblin #10 is unconscious, blinded, and stunned for [roll0] rounds while Goblin #7 is blinded and stunned for [roll1] rounds.

Electrobolt
2012-08-22, 10:26 PM
Seeing the one creature falling to his bolt, Borkan moved himself forward 30 feet before seeing goblin #9 still standing up. Aiming his crossbow, still imbued with the blessing, he loosed a bolt at the goblin.

Ok, so basically, move me 6 squares down on the map

Threat: [roll1]

hoverfrog
2012-08-23, 10:50 AM
Bringing his previously loaded heavy crossbow up to point squarely at the last standing goblin's chest Klar'ith smiles "Surrender".

Intimidate [roll0]

If he moves towards me, draws a weapon or does anything offensive then back off, stay out of melee combat and shoot him. If he runs away, shoot him. If he moves to attack anyone else, shoot him.

Crossbow [roll1] including Point Blank Shot and Bless
Critical 19-20/x2 [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

If he drops his own crossbow then he gets to live (if I roll high enough to hit him and nobody else kills him first)

If he's dead by the time I get to take action then coup de grace the goblin in front of me instead.

Linguz
2012-08-23, 12:33 PM
Shanar moves back, dropping her bow and drawing her kukri as she did so, going past Klar'ith and standing next to #10. She swung her kukri, quickly and twice, striking both #10 and #9, hopefully.

Using the Steel Wind manuever after a 30 foot move.

Attack #10: [roll0] - 24 or higher is a threat.
Check #10: [roll1]
Damage #10: [roll2]

Attack #9: [roll3] - 24 or higher is a threat.
Check #9: [roll4]
Damage #9: [roll5]

danzibr
2012-08-25, 11:17 AM
Volskan moves southward and fires upon the still-standing Goblin #9.
Harfil swings his axe at Hobgoblin #8.
Concealment: [roll3] (1 miss, 2 hit)
Still blinded, Shanar moves at only half speed and so has to make a double move to get next to #10.

Goblin #4 stays hunkered down, disoriented and fearing for its life.

Goblin #2 still runs eastward.

Hobgoblin #10 is incapacitated.

Goblin #7 is similarly unable to do anything.

Dropping its crossbow, Goblin #9 draws a morning star and strikes at Klar'ith.
Attack: [roll7]
Confirm: [roll8]
Damage: [roll9]
Hobgoblin #8 (if it's still alive) attacks Harfil with its longsword.
Attack: [roll10]
Confirm: [roll11]
Damage: [roll12]
Borkan's bolt tears through Goblin #9's leather armor, dealing 10 points of damage, knocking it out.

Klar'ith executes the Goblin lying at his feet.

danzibr
2012-08-25, 11:22 AM
Everyone's attacks are utterly ineffective.

Also, on Goblin #7's turn the acid scalds Klar'ith's skin, dealing [roll0] damage.

Turn 7 now:
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n552/danzibr/battle010.png

danzibr
2012-08-25, 11:37 AM
Summary of status effects and damage (lmk if anything is off):
First, I forgot to add the numbers. The blue dude is #7 and the Hobgoblin is #8.

Goblin #2 is no longer feared but is long gone (though perhaps you could catch it).

Goblin #7 is blinded and stunned until the end of Klar'ith's turn.

Hobgoblin #8 is unharmed.

Klar'ith has taken 10 damage.

Harfil and Shanar are blinded until the end of Goblin #7's turn.

Harfil has taken 12 damage.

Linguz
2012-08-25, 01:26 PM
Shanar waits, until her eyes can see again.

[Wait action until Goblin #7's turn, now she goes after him.]

---

THEN she moves over to the two goblins that are still standing and attacks them, using her known maneuver.

VS Blue
A1: [roll0]
C1: [roll1]
D1: [roll2]

VS Green
A2: [roll3]
C2: [roll4]
D2: [roll5]

hoverfrog
2012-08-25, 02:17 PM
Klar'ith has nothing to neutralise the acid burning his chest and hopes that the spell has run its course. "Two can play at that game." he grunts as he hurls his own glob of acid at the nearest enemy.

Acid splatter (Complete Mage, p. 37) ranged touch attack [roll0] Range 10'
Damage [roll1]

Electrobolt
2012-08-25, 03:05 PM
Seeing as now it seems the remaining foes are unable to easily be hit at a distance due to his allies apparently covering them, Borkan stowed his crossbow away. Once that was all said and done, he then snapped his fingers as a purple mind blade materialized in his right hand.

Considering sheathing a weapon is a move action, I would assume stowing a crossbow away would be similar... And summoning a mind blade is, until 5th level, a move action. So yeah, two move actions done

danzibr
2012-08-27, 11:28 AM
Volskan fires an arrow at the blue dude.
Harfil swings his axe at the other dude.
Concealment: [roll3] (1 miss, 2 hit)
Shanar holds off...

Goblin #4 continues to press itself against he cliff face as though hoping to disappear.

Goblin #2 continues running eastward.

Blinded and stunned, Goblin #7 does nothing.

Sight recovered, Shanar leaps into action, the able Hobgoblin #8 able to dodge her blow while the incapacitated Goblin #7 gets it where it hurts, taking 3 damage.

Not having much luck against Harfil, Hobgoblin #8 retaliates against Shanar.
Attack: [roll7]
Confirm: [roll8]
Damage: [roll9]
Borkan successfully stows away his crossbow and forms a totally bad-donkey sword from his mind in his hand.

Klar'ith moves slightly northwest to be within firing range and splatters acid all over Hobgoblin #8, knocking it unconscious.

danzibr
2012-08-27, 11:58 AM
Volskan's arrow finds its mark, inflicting 8 damage.

Harfil swings wildly, unfortunately missing, but only due to his lack of sight.

Shanar's blow knocks Goblin #7 unconscious.

Hobgoblin #8's attack barely overcomes Shanar's defenses, dealing 8 damage before acid eats away at it.

Conclusion:
Klar'ith took 10 damage, Harfil 12, Shanar 8. Beyond that, the encounter is... essentially over. As soon as you figure out what to do about the disabled guy.

Loot: Overcame 7 dudes of CR 1/3, 1 dude of CR 1/2, 2 dudes of CR 3, so 530 experience per person, doubled to 1060.
From the Goblin corpses: 5 morningstars and light crossbows, 100 bolts, 5 leather armors, 5 light shields.
From the first Hobgoblin corpse: +1 longsword, studded leather, light shield, javelin.
From the second Hobgoblin corpse: longsword, studded leather, light shield, javelin.
From the Goblin Wizard: mysterious potion, mysterious stick, spell book.

Linguz
2012-08-27, 12:12 PM
Shanar sits down against the wall holding onto the two places where she got hit. "Can anyone heal?"

hoverfrog
2012-08-27, 03:52 PM
Klar'ith lifts his wand from his belt and mutters the command to reverse the damage from his own wounds. Two crossbow bolts had cut through his flesh and the magical acid had burned another scar into his chest. Now that the adrenaline was fading the pain was coming on quickly.

Cure light wounds from wand on me [roll0]
Cure light wounds from wand on me [roll1] if I'm more than 6 hp down after healing.
Cure light wounds from spontaneous casting of first level cleric spell on Harfil [roll2]
Cure light wounds from wand on Harfil [roll3] if he is still more than 6 hp down.
Cure light wounds from spontaneous casting of first level cleric spell on Shanar [roll4]
Detect Magic on the pile of equipment

Once he has finished healing he puts the magic items in a different pile and tells the others how strong the magic is. Then he takes spellbook and mysterious stick for later analysis as it seems unlikely that anyone else can use either.

Shall we take the distribution of treasure to the OOC thread?

"Can anyone check this spellbook for magical traps?"

WyvernLord
2012-08-27, 09:30 PM
Blinking his eyes clear of the magic Harfil looks around to see the fallen foes.
"Thank you all for the save. I wish I had been more effective."

danzibr
2012-08-28, 07:40 AM
After everyone's healed, Klar'ith, along with anyone willing to assist him buries the deceased Goblins according to their typical customs.

The only items which appear to have any sort of magic are the stick, the potion, one of the longswords and the spellbook.

A single-story shabby hut is built off the northern side of the side road partially into the base of the mountains, roughly twenty five feet wide and fifteen feet deep. The walls are made of stone but look rather precarious. The lone door has been swung open.

Linguz
2012-08-31, 08:31 AM
Shanar goes to check inside the building.

danzibr
2012-08-31, 11:13 AM
Inside, Shanar sees it's a single large room with dirty mats meant for sleeping on the left and supplies strewn about. The only furniture is a small wooden table with four chairs about it, all but one knocked over.

hoverfrog
2012-08-31, 03:02 PM
After spending time tending the wounds of the voldur and burying the dead, Klar'ith follows Shanar into the crude building and helps though he expects that the search will have been thoroughly completed by the time he is ready. He double checks the bedding and each wall for anything hidden away.

"I suggest we head back and return in the morning once we're done here. Agreed?"

If we can make a rough travois or litter to carry back the loot from the material available then he helps to construct it.

Search check [roll0]

danzibr
2012-09-01, 07:18 AM
Beneath a loose floor board Klar'ith finds 180 gold in various coins, likely the Goblins' stash from killing passersby.

The party returns without any hitches to Birch. The surviving Goblin doesn't have the energy to struggle.

Poppy and Rhokag agree to buy the gear at half market value.

danzibr
2012-09-02, 08:36 AM
Klar'ith takes numerous precautions before opening the spellbook. It appears to not be extraordinary whatsoever, beyond beyond a spellbook.

It's rather sparse as spellbooks go. For cantrips it has only Daze and Prestidigitation. It also has Shield, Mage Armor, Color Spray, Glitterdust, and Acid Arrow.

The potion is a potion of Cure Light Wounds (caster level 3rd).