PDA

View Full Version : DC Adventures/M&M 3e

Hopeless
2012-06-22, 10:11 AM
How many people are either running or playing using the DC Adventures books using the Mutants and Masterminds 3rd edition system?

I was wondering what you make of this, have you made any changes to fit your own views on the DC Universe and what suggestions would you give towards running games using that background?

JoeMac307
2012-06-22, 10:44 AM
I just got the Hero's Handbook and Heroes & Villians Vol 1 & 2.

I've only read through the first 100 pages or so (still reading the Powers section) of the Hero's Handbook. I like that it is d20 and should be easy for my D&D players to pick up.

I am excited to finish reading through it and running an adventure or two.

First thoughts: Will DCnU have any impact? And why no Rocket Red stats included in the Heroes & Villians books?

I'm interested to see what other people who have had a chance to play it have to say. I'm also curious if anyone has any info on any potential game modules that may be released?

Hopeless
2012-06-23, 05:10 AM
I just got the Hero's Handbook and Heroes & Villians Vol 1 & 2.
I've only read through the first 100 pages or so (still reading the Powers section) of the Hero's Handbook. I like that it is d20 and should be easy for my D&D players to pick up.
I am excited to finish reading through it and running an adventure or two.
First thoughts: Will DCnU have any impact? And why no Rocket Red stats included in the Heroes & Villians books?
I'm interested to see what other people who have had a chance to play it have to say. I'm also curious if anyone has any info on any potential game modules that may be released?

I have heard their deal was for four books with the last being the Dc Universe so they might have those stats in their but would one book be enough to cover not just the present dcu but also the legion of super heroes?

Beleriphon
2012-06-28, 08:08 PM

DCnU? Probably no impact what so ever, the GR staff has made it quite clear they are going for an iconic view of the DC Universe.

DC Adventures runs on the exact same rules as M&M 3E so any of the M&M stuff coming out is completely compatible. I'd suggest looking at Emerald City Knights and modifying to your own ends if you're in need of an adventure.

Hopeless
2012-06-29, 05:12 AM
Drive thru rpg should have a number of options as for a while they had a few companies doing Icons/M&M/Bash scenario's releasing version for each system one of which was Homeland heroes which was a view of Golden era heroes on behalf of those who didn't get sent to the front of the war and stayed at home.

Have you been listening to Vigilance Press's podcasts?

They have done a few including a couple highlighting the dc adventures side of M&M and the recent one Beacon City is intended to have some character from the dcu involved at some stage.

Some of that should help you develop ideas for games you want to run.

There's also Bamf podcast which does a few in this area but for actual game modules I have to admit being surprised when I learned about the 4 book deal since this could have been expanded but given dc's habit of rebooting maybe they couldn't take that risk.

Beleriphon
2012-06-29, 05:32 PM
There's also Bamf podcast which does a few in this area but for actual game modules I have to admit being surprised when I learned about the 4 book deal since this could have been expanded but given dc's habit of rebooting maybe they couldn't take that risk.

I don't think a reboot was an issue, I think that that the licensing fees associated would have killed GR if there were more than four books. Dealing with Warner Brothers is never cheap.

Hopeless
2012-07-01, 05:28 AM
I don't think a reboot was an issue, I think that that the licensing fees associated would have killed GR if there were more than four books. Dealing with Warner Brothers is never cheap.

Odd but then we have the Avengers movie showing how a superhero movie franchise should work and then we have the Green Lantern movie showing what you shouldn't do... I guess it never occurs to these people that charging too much for something that could help boost their sales might have an adverse effect...

Beleriphon
2012-07-07, 06:22 PM
Odd but then we have the Avengers movie showing how a superhero movie franchise should work and then we have the Green Lantern movie showing what you shouldn't do... I guess it never occurs to these people that charging too much for something that could help boost their sales might have an adverse effect...

Eh, DCA is never going to be anything but a footnote to Warner Brothers. Its a niche game in a niche market. While I'm sure its profitable, the end result is probably not that much money for a company like Warner Brothers. They're really more concerned about things like movies, TV shows, and toy licensing.

JoeMac307
2012-07-10, 02:35 PM
Drive thru rpg should have a number of options as for a while they had a few companies doing Icons/M&M/Bash scenario's releasing version for each system one of which was Homeland heroes which was a view of Golden era heroes on behalf of those who didn't get sent to the front of the war and stayed at home.

Have you been listening to Vigilance Press's podcasts?

They have done a few including a couple highlighting the dc adventures side of M&M and the recent one Beacon City is intended to have some character from the dcu involved at some stage.

Some of that should help you develop ideas for games you want to run.

One of the things I really enjoyed about Mayfair Games' DC Heroes (and TSR's Marvel Super Heroes) was the abundance of gaming modules that were published. It is too bad DC doesn't seem to have any interest in doing anything like that for M&M 3e, if I am understanding you correctly. And the new Margaret Weis Marvel game seems to be satisfied with only two or three "Events" each year, which are totally derived from comic book crossovers.

It would be great to see some wholely original adventures, with new storylines, not adaptations of previously written comic books, for either system. Not realistic, I guess. Oh well. :smalleek: