PDA

View Full Version : Running a game for a large group

Tanuki Tales
2012-06-22, 11:16 AM
If you're part of or are going to be part of the Ouroboros playtest, leave this thread now. What will be discussed here is not for your eyes.

As I continue building it, I'm getting very close to having enough of Ouroboros (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241826) completed to start doing some playtesting. The issue I find though now is that I made this subsystem to play online via pbp with my irl group (including me that's 5 people, so 4 players) but that roster has grown recently with the addition of my brother's friend wanting to play, a new friend of mine wanting in and one of my contest's regulars wanting in as well. So, with now 7 players wanting to be part of the game, I'm finding myself in a pickle since I can't really just say no to any of them and I have a feeling more may want to be part of the playtest.

The issue at hand isn't running a game with so many players (I feel confident enough in my DMing ability to do this) but what to run them through. I'm already doing a lot of building and homebrewing as is and am trying to save as much work for myself. To that end, I was planning on just adapting a pre-written adventure, but the only one I know of that can support a group that big is World's Largest Dungeon (and I don't particularly want to use that one save as a last resort) .

So the question I pose is, can anyone think of a pre-written adventure that is capable of supporting large groups? I put this thread here instead of the d20 subforum because I'm fully willing to adapt 2nd edition or earlier adventure books (assuming I'm able to find them).

I'm not looking for a meat grinder though (yes, I know some consider World's Largest Dungeon a meat grinder, but I don't. That's Tomb of Horrors in my book), even though this is just a playtest that may not grow into a full campaign.

Tyndmyr
2012-06-22, 11:27 AM
Most can. Especially if they're more outdoors based instead of a dungeon crawl. RHoD, for instance, I've run for up to eight.

Just pick a module a couple levels higher than you otherwise would. Adjust HD specific effects downward to match, continue as normal.

Tanuki Tales
2012-06-22, 04:00 PM
Most can. Especially if they're more outdoors based instead of a dungeon crawl. RHoD, for instance, I've run for up to eight.

Just pick a module a couple levels higher than you otherwise would. Adjust HD specific effects downward to match, continue as normal.

Are there any other adventures you'd suggest other than Red Hand of Doom or Ages of Worms?