PDA

View Full Version : What can't I do with Glyph of Warding? [3.5]

Kansaschaser
2012-06-22, 12:18 PM
So, I was reading over the Glyph of Warding (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/glyphOfWarding.htm) spell and I was wondering if you could put it on the same object more than once. :smallconfused:

Could you put it on a doorway 5 times and have each one do a different type of damage(fire, cold, sonic, etc...)?

If you can put it on an object more than once, then does a Rogue have to search and disable each only seperatly?

King Atticus
2012-06-22, 12:27 PM
SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/glyphOfWarding.htm): Multiple glyphs cannot be cast on the same area. However, if a cabinet has three drawers, each can be separately warded.

CTrees
2012-06-22, 12:34 PM
SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/glyphOfWarding.htm): Multiple glyphs cannot be cast on the same area. However, if a cabinet has three drawers, each can be separately warded.

This. Your problem is one of categorization, ultimately. For instance, you want to ward a door, so that massive damage is done when it is opened. Your most basic reading, you only get one glyph. However, if you have one set for "trigger when the door handle is turned," one for "trigger when the door is opened," and one for "trigger when a creature passes through this doorway," you should be clear. Three different traps, three different triggers, three different areas (door handle, door, and door frame). Granted, you don't get a massively stacking alpha strike, but it's still okay (especially give that it's three different things to disarm). Multiple glyphs acting on the same trigger is sketchier (say, a glyph on every nail in a door set to "trigger when moved" likely shouldn't fly).

Sudain
2012-06-22, 04:56 PM
I really want to disagree with you CT but it falls close enough into the gray area I'd probably let it fly as a DM.

What can't you do? Get rich

Material Component
You trace the glyph with incense, which must first be sprinkled with powdered diamond worth at least 200 gp.

whibla
2012-06-22, 05:09 PM
This. Your problem is one of categorization, ultimately. For instance, you want to ward a door, so that massive damage is done when it is opened. Your most basic reading, you only get one glyph. However, if you have one set for "trigger when the door handle is turned," one for "trigger when the door is opened," and one for "trigger when a creature passes through this doorway," you should be clear. Three different traps, three different triggers, three different areas (door handle, door, and door frame).

I have to say that I find this a somewhat dubious interpretation of RAW.

"This powerful inscription harms those who enter, pass, or open the warded area or object."

My impression of the spell, based on the material components, and the description of how they are used, would seem to imply that the person would need to be in, or at least touching, the area traced during the casting, and (from the quote from the SRD above) these traces cannot overlap with another tracing. You do not open a door handle, you use a door handle to open a door. Ofc, it would be possible to ward the door against opening (2-d plane, traced on the door), and the doorway against passage (2-d plane, traced on the floor), but the nails or door handle...hmm!

*EDIT*

If you can put it on an object more than once, then does a Rogue have to search and disable each only seperatly?

There's nothing that I can find to prevent multiple magic traps of different types being placed onto the same area or object however. In situations like these, and this is just my reading of the situation, a single Search check would find (or not) any traps that are in or on the area or object, but multiple Disable Device checks would be required to remove them all. It would be quite possible for a rogue to find the Glyph of Warding and the Poison Needle trap protecting an object, disable them, then get hit by the previously unnoticed Fire Trap as he opens the chest for example.