PDA

View Full Version : A bit of character help, if you don't mind

Malthruin
2012-06-22, 01:25 PM
Hey everyone, I have a level 1 gestalt Knight/Crusader. He's a Fire Genasi (there's a +1 LA buyoff). I'm trying to decide on Feats/Flaws for him, now we do have a one Flaw limit and I'd like one that would actually come into play for my character (ie not Shaky or something like that). Any and all official 3.5e material, not including third party books, are open for use as well as homebrew as the DM approves.

I'm still fairly new to character creation, so any help would be appreciated.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-06-22, 02:01 PM
A Fire Genasi, limited to one flaw that you want to come into play? There's one in Dragon magazine 324 called Hot-Blooded, which causes you to automatically fail Fort saves to overcome effects of low temperatures, and cold-based effects deal an extra 2 damage to you. It's in the Druid section for flaws, but while designed with Druids in mind any character can select flaws from that section if they meet its prerequisites, and this one has none so anyone could take it.

For your feats, Extra Granted Maneuver (ToB) is a given, and Stone Power (ToB) is also pretty good. Shield Specialization and Shield Ward (PH2) are strong choices. I'd pick up Extra Smiting (CW) once you get the Crusader's Smite Anything if you have a decent Cha score.

only1doug
2012-06-22, 04:29 PM
I hope you don't mind a comment: knight // crusader strikes me as an odd choice for gestalt as they both bring the same thing. I would suggest having the different sides of the gestalt offer different options.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-06-22, 05:21 PM
I hope you don't mind a comment: knight // crusader strikes me as an odd choice for gestalt as they both bring the same thing. I would suggest having the different sides of the gestalt offer different options.

Knight//Crusader is actually quite fine. He gets the Crusader skill points, Fort save, and survivability, and the Knight d12 HP, Will save, and tanking ability. Their BAB is redundant, and the Crusader's d10 HD is wasted, but that's about the only thing that overlaps.

Come to think of it, Fire Genasi is not exactly worth a +1 LA given its weak benefits. Consider switching it to a +0 LA race or a better +1 LA race with the Race of Fire (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm) traits, and give it the same flavor/background as a Fire Genasi. Maybe even switch to a Stony (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e) Earth Dwarf for some extreme survivability. You can trade Ride for Tumble (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) as a class skill and with a Dwarf you can use Tumble when wearing heavy armor.

only1doug
2012-06-23, 11:03 AM
Hmm, i guess i just tagged them both as full BAB melee classes and didn't think through the full benefits of each.

Malthruin
2012-06-25, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll have to talk to the DM about maybe changing my race (I suspect he won't have a problem with that) since I saw that comment after the first session. Thankfully the DM is pretty lenient about small changes, he even let me trade in access to the Devoted Spirit school for the Desert Wind school since I'm actually modeling my character after Sir Kay from the Arthurian Legends.

Gwendol
2012-06-25, 04:59 PM
You will want a reach weapon and combat reflexes, very much, to take advantage of the thicket of blades stance/bulwark of defence combo.

Theroc
2012-06-26, 01:12 AM
Malth, to stick to the fire Shtick, just go Lesser fire Genasi(I think it just modifies your type, similar to Aasimar->Lesser Aasimar) and take a +1 LA template. Not sure what that'd be, but it'd let you keep the fire shtick and get a better bonus, if it works like I'm thinking.

HunterColt22
2012-06-26, 08:50 AM
There is another flaw that might work. Its unatentive or something along those lines, it essentially hits your intiative fairly well but considering you class choices may be something to consider because you are probably wearing the most armor in the group. Also if you are doing the whole knight/crusader protecter thing you might want to pick up goad at this point for the extra feat. Forcing enemies to only attack you and making them walk through your difficult terrain area caused by what the knight can do is just silly.:smallbiggrin:

Gwendol
2012-06-26, 09:25 AM
Or just wait a few levels to get the knight Test of Mettle instead; which is like goad only it affects all that can hear you. Inattentive hits your perception skills.
Finally, the knight should consider using medium armor since with armor mastery or whatever the ability is called will allow him to move at full speed. Later on that extends to heavy armor. To make use of combat reflexes you should have at least 14 DEX.