PDA

View Full Version : non-magical knife throwing badass

crillitor
2012-06-22, 02:21 PM
I want to make a character like the title says. I only have access to the core rule books, the completes, and tthe races books. How would i go about doing this in a nonmagical game?

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-22, 02:40 PM
Rogue 10/Invisible Blade 5/Master Thrower 5.
Invisible Blade and Master Thrower are from Complete Warrior.

Kalaska'Agathas
2012-06-22, 02:58 PM
You could also go Swashbuckler 3/Rogue 7 - or any combination of Swash and Rogue that you fancy, which also meets the prereqs for Daring Outlaw (from Complete Scoundrel, page 76 I think). That'll net you Int to damage, Weapon Finesse for free, and a point of BAB, without losing you any Sneak Attack.

Then go Invisible Blade 5/Master Thrower 5. I think that's gonna be the best non-magical knife thrower with the available resources.

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-22, 03:01 PM
You could also go Swashbuckler 3/Rogue 7 - or any combination of Swash and Rogue that you fancy, which also meets the prereqs for Daring Outlaw (from Complete Scoundrel, page 76 I think). That'll net you Int to damage, Weapon Finesse for free, and a point of BAB, without losing you any Sneak Attack.
Rogue 4/Swashbuckler X is usually the go-to build for Complete Scoundrel. It simply gets more mileage out of the feat.
Rogue 7 gives you more skill points and extra trap sense (that you should trade away anyway).
Swashbuckler 7 gives you more bab, more hit points and acrobatic charge (not that useful in a thrower build, though).
I can see it swinging both ways.

Averis Vol
2012-06-22, 03:09 PM
I'de have to say Whisper knife would be better if you'de be willing to go halfling, so maybe

Strongheart halfling swashbuckler 3/rogue 3/invisible blade 5/ whisperknife 9

nets you 19 BaB, 8d6 sneak attack, ranged flank, better use of the returning property, fast movement, poison use (meh), int to damage, feint as a free action and no provoked AoO's with thrown weapons.

and if you can grab a str of 13 you can get power attack for your thrown weapons too, though this is for a build dependant on high damage, low number of hits, the usual strategy is to get alot of attacks for thrown weapons i believe. but, who knows, things may vary at lower levels.

hope this helps.

Kalaska'Agathas
2012-06-22, 03:12 PM
Rogue 4/Swashbuckler X is usually the go-to build for Complete Scoundrel. It simply gets more mileage out of the feat.
Rogue 7 gives you more skill points and extra trap sense (that you should trade away anyway).
Swashbuckler 7 gives you more bab, more hit points and acrobatic charge (not that useful in a thrower build, though).
I can see it swinging both ways.

Rogue 4/Swash 16 is usually the go-to, but with only ten levels to play with (for Daring Outlaw), I figure I like the skill points. Lets you fit in a skill trick or two (you'd still come out with more skill points than by going more Swash) and gives some out of combat utility. Not much, obviously, unless you want to pump UMD, but I'm not sure that's still a non-magical character, in spirit at least.

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-22, 03:26 PM
Rogue 4/Swash 16 is usually the go-to, but with only ten levels to play with (for Daring Outlaw), I figure I like the skill points. Lets you fit in a skill trick or two (you'd still come out with more skill points than by going more Swash) and gives some out of combat utility. Not much, obviously, unless you want to pump UMD, but I'm not sure that's still a non-magical character, in spirit at least.

Absolutely, I was just pointing out you could swing either way.

Diovid
2012-06-22, 03:30 PM
Taking the 1st Halfling Rogue substitution level (races of the wild) might be a good idea, the Distrupting Attack (player handbook 2) and Death's Ruin (complete champion) rogue alternative class features aren't bad either.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-06-22, 03:39 PM
Taking the 1st Halfling Rogue substitution level (races of the wild) might be a good idea, the Distrupting Attack (player handbook 2) and Death's Ruin (complete champion) rogue alternative class features aren't bad either.

Penetrating Strike (DS) is also a really good rogue ACF.

Diovid
2012-06-22, 03:48 PM
Penetrating Strike (DS) is also a really good rogue ACF.
It is but it only applies to melee attacks and it's outside the sources the OP can use.

Gavinfoxx
2012-06-22, 03:56 PM
BLOODSTORM BLADE!

You really should tome of battle this up. Really really...

Averis Vol
2012-06-22, 03:59 PM
BLOODSTORM BLADE!

You really should tome of battle this up. Really really...

It would make it much better, if ToB wasn't outside the allowed sources. :smallfrown:

Gavinfoxx
2012-06-22, 04:42 PM
It would make it much better, if ToB wasn't outside the allowed sources. :smallfrown:

!@#!*()@$!

Invader
2012-06-22, 06:21 PM
Here's the build I came up with with some help from the PG. I only built it to 7th level but I can expand it if you're at all interested in knowing what I'd take for the remaining levels.

Strong Heart Halfling Lvl 7 -- Fighter 2, Rogue 2, Swashbuckler 1, Whisperknife 1, Master Thrower 1
Feats

Str 10
Dex 21
Con 18
Int 14
Wis 13
Cha 11

Feats:
1st Point Blank Shot, Two Weapon fighting, Far Shot
2nd Precise Sot
3rd Weapon Focus Dagger
4th Evasion
5th Weapon Finesse
6th Dead Eye, rapid shot, uncanny dodge
7th Quick Draw

BAB Attacks per round 10/10/10/10/10/10/5/5
1st +1 Mainhand
2nd +2 Palm Throw
3rd +2 Rapid Shot
4th +3 Rapid Shot Palm Throw
5th +4 Off Hand
6th +5 Off Hand Palm Throw
7th +6/+1

Equipment Throwing dagger (small) 1d3+5 range 40ft. crit x2 Type S/P
Gauntlet of Infinite Blades 6,500 gp.

StreamOfTheSky
2012-06-22, 06:37 PM
I'de have to say Whisper knife would be better if you'de be willing to go halfling, so maybe

Strongheart halfling swashbuckler 3/rogue 3/invisible blade 5/ whisperknife 9

nets you 19 BaB, 8d6 sneak attack, ranged flank, better use of the returning property, fast movement, poison use (meh), int to damage, feint as a free action and no provoked AoO's with thrown weapons.

and if you can grab a str of 13 you can get power attack for your thrown weapons too, though this is for a build dependant on high damage, low number of hits, the usual strategy is to get alot of attacks for thrown weapons i believe. but, who knows, things may vary at lower levels.

hope this helps.

I also like Whisper Knife, though I hate the Invisible Blade, just a bad class and feinting is a poor way to get SA (and IB was nerfed to only feint 1/round as a free action). Just buy a ring of blinking.

I'd do Whisper Knife + Master Thrower. MT doesn't progress sneak attack, but it gives you great options like tripping with each attack, and the level 5 capstone thrown weapon trick lets you attack touch AC! Drawback is that you get no str to damage...boo hoo. MT also gets you Quickdraw for free, which will save a feat (would your DM let you retrain it if you wanted it sooner than you could enter MT?).

Pure Rogue or Rogue + Swashbuckler lead-in to those classes would be fine.

Invader
2012-06-22, 06:42 PM
I also like Whisper Knife, though I hate the Invisible Blade, just a bad class and feinting is a poor way to get SA (and IB was nerfed to only feint 1/round as a free action). Just buy a ring of blinking.

I'd do Whisper Knife + Master Thrower. MT doesn't progress sneak attack, but it gives you great options like tripping with each attack, and the level 5 capstone thrown weapon trick lets you attack touch AC! Drawback is that you get no str to damage...boo hoo. MT also gets you Quickdraw for free, which will save a feat (would your DM let you retrain it if you wanted it sooner than you could enter MT?).

Dead eye lets you add your dex to damage which honestly I think makes a better thrower build than str.

Averis Vol
2012-06-22, 07:06 PM

Right *face palm* my build for this relies on surprising riposte. so yea, invisible blade should be out. Then I agree with you on the build, feinting becomes obsolete with ranged flank.

EDIT: Invaderk, yea deadeye is good, its just not in the allowed sources.

Invader
2012-06-22, 07:23 PM
Right *face palm* my build for this relies on surprising riposte. so yea, invisible blade should be out. Then I agree with you on the build, feinting becomes obsolete with ranged flank.

EDIT: Invaderk, yea deadeye is good, its just not in the allowed sources.

Ahh yeah I didn't think of that. That would def require me to change some stuff up with that build then :smallbiggrin:

bobthe6th
2012-06-22, 07:50 PM
I had fun with a human swash buckler 3/ fighter 2/ master thrower 5...
palm throwing, TWF, rapid shot, all as touch attacks, and all two with one blow... it was a silly amount of attacks a round, though each was a 1d4+int...

could see some millage out of going halfling monk 2/fighter(thug variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#fighterVariantThug\)) 2/barbarian(wirling frenzy varient (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ) 2/master thrower 4...
same style, but use flury for another attack and gets improved evasion... the lost trick will hurt but only for a level. you wil be at -12 to hit most of the time, but with 14 swings per round(all of witch can hit two foes) you can do some silly, silly things.

Averis Vol
2012-06-22, 08:08 PM
this is a little off topic but how does hurling charge work in conjunction with leap attack? the feat only says you can throw a weapon as part of a charge, does that mean it gets the full PA bonus?