PDA

View Full Version : throwing gloves(3.5 D&D, item, PEACH)

bobthe6th
2012-06-22, 08:14 PM
so, ever try to make a throwing weapons based charicter? notice how many weapons they go through? ever think how much it would cost to enchant them all? well, the MIC gave a semi solution, and I will better it. this is to be much like magic gauntlets to monks...

A throwing glove is to thrown weapons as a bow is to arrows. when wearing a throwing glove(this is one glove on one hand, they do not come in pairs), any weapon you throw is enhanced as if it was launched from a projectile weapon with the same bonuses as the gloves.
the base throwing glove costs nothing(though making it masterwork and therefore enchantable costs the regular 300gp), and it cost the ordenary amount to enhance as a magic weapon. it is enhancet as if it were a projectile weapon.

also, a new enhancement.
endless ammunition
This special ability can only be applied to projectile weapons. This special ability allows a weapon to produce an endless supply of it's own ammunition. The ammunition is non magical and non masterwork, and it dissipates at the end of the round.
Faint conjuration; CL 5th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Melffs acid arrow; Price (100x the cost of one of the projectile weapons ammunition).

bobthe6th
2012-06-24, 06:40 PM
so... any comments?

TuggyNE
2012-06-24, 07:28 PM
This is probably OK, although there's not really a whole lot to say about it.

One suggestion I have is to add a new weapon, a spear-thrower, which uses javelins for projectiles and increases their range (and probably damage).

Kane0
2012-06-24, 08:18 PM
Sounds good to me.

Also, maybe something to make throwing axes a lot lighter? IIRC they are really heavy compared to other thrown weapons.

bobthe6th
2012-06-24, 09:23 PM
for more fun apply the enchantment to the item... heh, free weightless infinite throwing axes...

but 40k? really? that is a big hunk of change for a really eh enchantment. It is more of a book keeping thing, esspecialy with a meat shield/pack mule with a couple hundred arrows on him that you grab in packs of 20 when you need a refill...

as for the javelin... perhaps something to bring them up to martial? like a attalatal that throws javelins increasing the damage die to 2d6, the range to 60ft, but is a move action to load without rapid reload?

Seerow
2012-06-24, 10:53 PM
Abundant Sheath of Lightning Bolts

Aura faint conjuration, evocation and illusion; CL 5th
Slot wrist; Price 119,000 gp; Weight 2 lbs.

DESCRIPTION
This mundane but serviceable sheath is fitted with a small handle sticking out, tied to your wrist. However, the handle and sheath are invisible (as the invisibility spell) until drawn, at which point only the sheath is still invisible.

The invisible sheathed javelin handle can still be detected by touch, but the bearer gains a +5 bonus on Sleight of Hand checks to conceal the handle, and casual inspection does not reveal it at all. Other effects that detect or reveal invisible things work normally on the sheathed javelin.

When the handle is drawn and thrown, the handle becomes a javelin made of electricity like a lightning bolt effect. The handle is magically duplicated and replaced, allowing the use of a javelin at any notice.

This javelin becomes a 5d6 lightning bolt when thrown (Reflex DC 14 half). The javelin disappears after discharging, allowing none to be used against you in return.

CONSTRUCTION
Requirements Craft Wondrous Item, abundant ammunition, invisibility, lightning bolt; Cost 59,500gp

Yup, I went there. I just mimicked Zeus's thunderbolts with an item spending less that 60k to craft it.

But a custom item of at will lightning bolt (command word for standard action use) is 5*3*1800 = 27,000 GP. Your item costs more than 4x that and has no additional benefit except a situational +5 to sleight of hand (worth another 3250, if we're being generous and pricing it the same as a +5 to ALL SoH checks, AND giving it the increased cost for multiple effects on one item).

I mean even bumping that up to Caster Level 10 only doubles the cost to 54,000 and lets you pull off 10d6 lightning bolts at will. We could even use the empower metamagic, bringing us up to a CL10 5th level spell, increasing the cost to 90,000. Still 30k cheaper than your item, and dealing 15d6 damage at will.

Similarly, 40k gold seems really expensive for a continuous item of a 1st level spell. There the cost would be 1*1*2000*2(duration in minutes/level) = 4000gp. You multiplied that value 10 times over, which is totally unreasonable. The item simply isn't worth that much. 4000 is actually pretty reasonable, when you consider that to spend that much, the character would need to buy literally 600+ masterwork ammunition, since ammunition only costs 6gp to masterwork each. Really, the character is spending extra gold for convenience already at 4k, at 40k, nobody in their right mind would buy it.

Seerow
2012-06-24, 11:50 PM
both our math is way under par...

magic creation dictates that we start with our biggest cost first.

the abundant ammo effect.

Continuous effect: spell level x caster level x 2,000 x 2 (because it is measured in minute/level)

1 x 5 x 2,000 x 2 = 20,000 gp.

this is the first part of an abundant ammunition effect, the second part is the ammunition cost the normal spell. the spell states that it must be a non-magical weapon, we broke that rule for the purposes of creation. so the second part requires 1 item as a focus for the cloning:

750 gp for a created 5th level lightning javelin, which we need only one of them. we now add in the creation cost of an sheath of bladestealth

2,500 gp (sheath) + 750 (javelin of lightning) + 20,000 gp (Abundant Ammo) = 23.250 gp

now thats the price to craft it, to buy one would be double. right?

46,500 gp to straight buy it.

Your post doesn't even make sense.

1) Why are you using 5 as the caster level? Minimum caster level for the abundant ammo effect is 1. So 1x1x2000x2 = 4000. You multiplied it by 5 for no reason.

2) Why would you make an item that creates javelins of lightning bolt that costs that much money, when you could instead make an item that just makes lightning bolts, for the exact same effect, for a cheaper cost?

3) The cost derived from the formula is the cost to outright buy. Crafting it takes half as much.

bobthe6th
2012-06-25, 12:35 AM
4) why is it in the thread detailing a throwing specific item, without any relation to the OP...

Seerow
2012-06-25, 12:49 AM
4) why is it in the thread detailing a throwing specific item, without any relation to the OP...

Sorry. On that note:

1) For your 'endless ammunition' property, it specifies that the ammunition produced is non-magican and non-masterwork. Does your projectile weapon's properties still apply to the ammunition?

2) The cost of it is weird. Having variable costs like that isn't the way those sorts of enhancements are normally handled. I'd make it a flat +2000 to +4000 property (pick some value in that range) that can be added onto a weapon.

3) Does the throwing glove being counted as a projectile weapon mean that you get 10 range increments with such weapons? Not that I think it makes a big difference, but it could be considered weird that wearing some non-magical gloves doubles your maximum throwing range.

LordErebus12
2012-06-25, 05:32 AM
Sorry. On that note:

1) For your 'endless ammunition' property, it specifies that the ammunition produced is non-magican and non-masterwork. Does your projectile weapon's properties still apply to the ammunition?

2) The cost of it is weird. Having variable costs like that isn't the way those sorts of enhancements are normally handled. I'd make it a flat +2000 to +4000 property (pick some value in that range) that can be added onto a weapon.

3) Does the throwing glove being counted as a projectile weapon mean that you get 10 range increments with such weapons? Not that I think it makes a big difference, but it could be considered weird that wearing some non-magical gloves doubles your maximum throwing range.

i agree. so 4k then. flatrate.

bobthe6th
2012-06-25, 01:01 PM
It's pok, I just wanted to nudge the thread back on track

Sorry. On that note:

As far as I know the ammo doesn't need to be masterwork to get enhancements applied from a launcher... Though that should be clarified I agree.

but then that is big money for a little more then a hand wave... I duno, seems a little harsh. how about 1k? still enough to mean it won't happen till mid levels, but low enough to be a non issue

The glove only counts as a projectile weapon for enhancements... so a normal one is all kinds of useless.

Owrtho
2012-06-25, 02:29 PM
On the issue of having a replenishing supply of throwing weapons, it seems the returning enchantment would also work well enough. It could even be put on the glove most likely to have any weapon you throw return to you. Mind it does have the problem that if you move before the start of your next turn it ends up in the square you were in when you threw it, but it still would accomplish much the same benefits of the various ammo generators, and the weapons returning to where you were when you threw them means you wouldn't risk not finding them after the fight, provided you weren't forced to retreat.

Not that there is a problem with the various ammo generators, which likely are in some ways more efficient, but I thought I'd note there was already a way to get back thrown weapons in the rules (which can work better thanks to the glove).

Owrtho

bobthe6th
2012-06-25, 05:03 PM
yes, now I could see just carrying 12+ throwing daggers with throwing gloves of returning... before the idea of 12+ +1 returning daggers made me ill...

LordErebus12
2012-06-25, 07:23 PM
Gloves of Throwing

Aura faint conjuration; CL 5th
Slot hand; Price 6,000 gp; Weight 2 lbs.

DESCRIPTION
This leather gloves are tight fitted, each fitted with a small metal plate on the back of the hand, carved with several magical symbols that appear to spin slowly.

When worn and fingers snapped (free action), any thrown weapon that the user has proficiency with will appear in the gloved hand, +1 enhancement bonus and at the ready. The weapon disappears after striking a target, allowing none to be used against you in return.

these gloves are treated as weapons as well, allowing them to hold enchantments other than this effect. all thrown weapons will hold these enchantments if they would if normally enchanted with effects individually.

CONSTRUCTION
Requirements Craft Wondrous Item, abundant ammunition; Cost 3,000gp