PDA

View Full Version : What Would Be a Good System for Silent Hill?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-06-22, 10:18 PM
I have recently gotten into the Silent Hill games, and would love to run a game set in the universe for my friends. It would be an atmospheric survival horror type affair, with plenty of characterization and symbolism.

I want a system that is relatively light and easy, so it stays out of the way. I also want it to be gritty, flexible, and capable of doing the setting justice.

What roleplaying system do you think could be used?

ngilop
2012-06-22, 11:09 PM
GURPS: Horror

as the Silent Hill protagonists are very much human with human limitation

gurps keeps that fragile and gritty feel and the Horror Supplement is nice.. though I may be just a bit biased haing played it beofre in a very mush silent hill esque campaign before

Here (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/Horror/)
is a link to Steve Jackson games detailing it and a few other related supplements

wayfare
2012-06-22, 11:41 PM
There is a homebrewed thing on these forums that is exactly what you want: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147142

Extremely high quality stuff!

erikun
2012-06-23, 12:40 AM
Most of what I've heard about Paranoia sounds like it would be a good fit - even the meta-headmucking between players seems rather appropriate for the series.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-06-23, 12:42 AM
GURPS: Horror

as the Silent Hill protagonists are very much human with human limitation

gurps keeps that fragile and gritty feel and the Horror Supplement is nice.. though I may be just a bit biased haing played it beofre in a very mush silent hill esque campaign before

Here (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/Horror/)
is a link to Steve Jackson games detailing it and a few other related supplements

Isn't GURPS a tad crunchy? Its a solid system, but a bit bloat-ey.

ngilop
2012-06-23, 01:14 AM
Not that ive ever noticed about GURPS

id stay away form anything HERO system or D20 based though. becuase at anything higher than 1st level for d20 based things OR any point at all for HERO system things are a littel wacky

i mean its like' hey i can take 3 grendars going off right in my face and i laugh at the damage done'

thats why i stopped playing modern d20 or any of the deriviative becuase i wanted a mroe true to life effect, if some scary supernatural shizz is after me I don't want to be able to know that i can literally lay down and let X whip up on me for 4 rounds solid, i want to know that i cna be a dealt a lethal blow only after a couple fo attacks

being levle 3 fast hero in d20 modern allowed me to take a rocket to the face and i was still at half life.. do you want that kind of nonsense in your silent hill game?

basically ANY low-powered centric game will fit your silent hill

but you said yourself you want it to be gritty CHECK Flexible CHECK true to the setting CHECK

GURPS has all of that in spades

and ive never had anybody in real life ever complain of it being too 'rulesy or bloated, well i guess bloated in the sense that GURPS literally has a supplment(s) for any setting you can think of, but you can ignore 99% of any gurps stuff for the specific setting you want.

paranoia name might be a bit misleading the game has nothing at al to do with fear, or things youd think of with paranoi its is a VERY VERY tongue inc heeck game, it is not really ment for serious styel play as it consisist of slap stick, intra party back stabbing and satire all three in VERY heavy doses. while it is a good system and GREAT for a once in a great while to kind put everybody in a good mood, i would hate to see people actually trying to use paranoi in such a serious and deeply metaphorical setting as Silent Hill

actually i might have nightmares tonight imgaing it.

Debihuman
2012-06-23, 05:13 AM
I have recently gotten into the Silent Hill games, and would love to run a game set in the universe for my friends. It would be an atmospheric survival horror type affair, with plenty of characterization and symbolism.

I want a system that is relatively light and easy, so it stays out of the way. I also want it to be gritty, flexible, and capable of doing the setting justice.

What roleplaying system do you think could be used?

Here's the thing: MANY systems will work. The question is how much effort do you want to put in converting the Silent Hill stuff into it? I'd say pick the system you are most familiar with. By the way, there is already a Silent Hill supplement for d20 Call of Cthulhu (It's 3rd edition d20 material not 4e). AND most importantly, it's FREE. I'd pick that one. It's 100 pages long and it has everything you need.

Debby

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-06-23, 11:41 AM
Here's the thing: MANY systems will work. The question is how much effort do you want to put in converting the Silent Hill stuff into it? I'd say pick the system you are most familiar with. By the way, there is already a Silent Hill supplement for d20 Call of Cthulhu (It's 3rd edition d20 material not 4e). AND most importantly, it's FREE. I'd pick that one. It's 100 pages long and it has everything you need.

Debby

Debby

d20 Call of Cthulhu? That's pretty rare. The system is familiar, but I'm not sure I can find a copy.

Amechra
2012-06-23, 03:51 PM
Risus can do anything.

Just sayin'...

Especially if you look here. (http://risusiverse.wetpaint.com/page/Optional+Rules)

Debihuman
2012-06-23, 08:15 PM
The sanity rules are Open Content and in the online SRD. So really, all you need is the free supplement to play D20 Silent Hill. It's got pretty much all the rules you need even without D20 Call of Cthulhu. Here's a link to the download: http://download.ebookgratis.info/silent-hill-d20/

At least take a look at it. If it doesn't work you, you can always just use the maps :-)

Debby

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-06-23, 08:30 PM
The sanity rules are Open Content and in the online SRD. So really, all you need is the free supplement to play D20 Silent Hill. It's got pretty much all the rules you need even without D20 Call of Cthulhu. Here's a link to the download: http://download.ebookgratis.info/silent-hill-d20/

At least take a look at it. If it doesn't work you, you can always just use the maps :-)

Debby

Thank you! That will be an irreplaceable resource.

LordErebus12
2012-06-23, 08:37 PM
gonna have to say Call of Cthulhu

BarroomBard
2012-06-29, 09:02 PM
Dread. (http://www.tiltingatwindmills.net/dread/index.html) A system designed specifically for tense, atmospheric horror games.

Basically, you build a Jenga tower. Whenever the players try to do something that would require a check, they make one or more pulls from the tower. If the tower falls, whoever had to make the pull dies (or is otherwise removed from play).

Incredibly simple, and yet perfect for building tension and suspense, because the longer you play, the more precarious the tower becomes. It is a visible, tangible source of fear for the players. In other words, exactly what you want for Silent Hill.

toapat
2012-06-29, 09:39 PM
The Call of Cthulhu kinda trumps anything else made so far. your only choice is to lose.