PDA

View Full Version : Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter

shadow_archmagi
2012-06-22, 10:40 PM
Just saw the film. Wow! It was actually... really good? Really good by the standards of generic action flicks, anyway. I mean, don't go to ALVH expecting to walk away with a lasting sense of meaningfulness that's going to enrich your life in a way that is simultaneously universal and unique.

But I think it's a tribute to our society that a script with a title as silly as Abraham Vampire Hunter can receive the same sort of high budget, high quality fight choreography as any other major motion picture.

Essentially, it's the same tired old "Hero's family killed by bad people, hero swears vengeance, learns to punch through walls, fights bad people, finds a woman, fights more bad people, saves day" sort of story that could just as easily have been about a man who fights bank robbers with a gun that shoots bullets really fast.

But instead, they put all that time and effort and slow motion into a movie about a man who hits vampires with axes. A man who is also Abe Lincoln, fighting slavery. So by all means, go see it! They put out a film that strayed from convention, and it's a fun film, so give them your money so they'll do it again.

EDIT: Also if someone could find me the picture of Henry wearing his 18th century sunglasses where he looks eerily like Adam Jenson so I can caption it "I didn't axe for this" I'd really appreciate it.

hamishspence
2012-06-23, 02:14 AM
I read the book and enjoyed it- it's nice to hear the film version is good as well.

Bulldog Psion
2012-06-23, 12:04 PM
I've been thinking of seeing it, partly because of a remarkably negative review that I heard about it that seemed to dislike it for all the wrong reasons (amazing how a negative review can sometimes get you to want to see something if the negativity hits exactly the right chord :smallwink: ).

That, and the fact that the trailer had a partial quotation from Revelation in it, it has Abraham Lincoln in it, and the director is from Kazakhstan (my wife is from Kazakhstan originally, so I'm always a bit interested in anything that has something to do with the nation).

Maybe an odd assemblage of reasons, but hearing that someone enjoyed it this much just confirms my wish to go take a peek at it (though as I understand, a sequel would be basically impossible because of, well, the theater).

Ah, yes, and I got the book for my Kindle, too. Now I just need to find time to read it! :smallsmile:

KillianHawkeye
2012-06-24, 12:55 PM
It was a pretty fun movie. Nice to see Mary Elizabeth Winstead again, even though she really didn't do much. Was I the only one who thought the guy playing Lincoln was almost like a young Liam Neeson? There was an uncanny resemblance.

Mewtarthio
2012-06-25, 10:19 AM
Checked it out on RottenTomatoes. Critical consensus: 37%. Audience consensus: 75%.

I think I'm going with the audience on this one. The only trouble will be finding someone to see it with.

Tiki Snakes
2012-06-25, 10:26 AM
It was a pretty fun movie. Nice to see Mary Elizabeth Winstead again, even though she really didn't do much. Was I the only one who thought the guy playing Lincoln was almost like a young Liam Neeson? There was an uncanny resemblance.

Yeah, though I was irrationally glad they didn't capitolise on that and cast Neeson as Old-Lincoln.

Z3ro
2012-06-25, 10:27 AM
Ugh, I hate to be this guy, because I'm so usually not, but the book really was about 1,000 times better than the movie. Seriously, I thought the book was one of the better books I've read in the last few years, and in comparison the movie was just average.

That said, if I hadn't read the book, I'd have been very happy with the movie. The plot had to be simplified for the movie, but was adequate, and the action scenese were outstanding. Overall not bad, just not as good as the book.

Tyndmyr
2012-06-25, 11:10 AM
Ugh, I hate to be this guy, because I'm so usually not, but the book really was about 1,000 times better than the movie. Seriously, I thought the book was one of the better books I've read in the last few years, and in comparison the movie was just average.

That said, if I hadn't read the book, I'd have been very happy with the movie. The plot had to be simplified for the movie, but was adequate, and the action scenese were outstanding. Overall not bad, just not as good as the book.

I'd say the reverse, actually. It was a readable book, but not an exceptional one. While reading it, I actually thought, this would be much better as a movie. It definitely was, too.

Action scenes generally benefit a lot from the transition to screen, and the immersion of a good period set is awesome. The book felt like it was...a fantastic idea, but occasionally a bit too much wrapped around Lincoln's actual autobiography.

GnomeGninjas
2012-06-25, 11:34 AM
One of my friends (who hasn't seen the movie or read the book) says that this is very insulting to southerners because it is calling them vampires. When I (a person who also hasn't seen the movie or read the book) watched the preview it looked to me like the vampires and confederates were different factions. Who is right?

Tiki Snakes
2012-06-25, 11:37 AM
Vampires eventually end up supporting the Confederates for entirely uncharitable reasons. Essentially, not only are the Vampires a seperate faction, but they at best are using the confederates.

Southern-ness is entirely unrelated, basically.

GnomeGninjas
2012-06-25, 11:42 AM
Vampires eventually end up supporting the Confederates for entirely uncharitable reasons. Essentially, not only are the Vampires a seperate faction, but they at best are using the confederates.

Southern-ness is entirely unrelated, basically.

Thanks. Now to go rub it in my friends face.

Silkspinner
2012-06-25, 11:48 AM
Here was my thoughts.

The first half, the 'young' half, sucked. The actor never came across as anything but a skinny, bumbling, socially inept goofball. It's like he didn't even know how to act. And him being this super vampire hunter looked ludicrous. His becoming a rallying orator seemed completely out of character.

It was nothing less than a rushed training montage (that really made little sense. You know how he blasts trees in one shot? Never really explains it. Just says basically if you rage hard enough anything is possible. Riiiight...).

Second half? Freaking awesome. The actor ACTED then. He was deep and articulate and actually played the role. I thought at first they'd hired an older one to play it, but it was the same guy. It was also a lot cooler watching him fight, and those fights were at least halfway believeable.

The pace was also drawn out and not rushed like the first, giving you time to meet people, get to know them, and build a plot. It's like the first half was them trying to get everything in as quickly as possible so as to set the base for the second half.

Really, they could have made the film two movies, one younger abe and the second older abe and I'd have been happier.

Z3ro
2012-06-25, 12:03 PM
I'd say the reverse, actually. It was a readable book, but not an exceptional one. While reading it, I actually thought, this would be much better as a movie. It definitely was, too.

Action scenes generally benefit a lot from the transition to screen, and the immersion of a good period set is awesome. The book felt like it was...a fantastic idea, but occasionally a bit too much wrapped around Lincoln's actual autobiography.

Ah, maybe that explains our difference of opinions. I actually liked the biographical parts immensely, and found them just as satisfying as the vampire hunting, which would explain my love for it and not yours.

Silkspinner
2012-06-25, 12:11 PM
Ah, maybe that explains our difference of opinions. I actually liked the biographical parts immensely, and found them just as satisfying as the vampire hunting, which would explain my love for it and not yours.
See, I loved the biographical parts too, especially when they coincided with the actual vampire hunting. It was a meshing of the two that I enjoyed.

The first half however, you forget he's even supposed to be Abraham Lincoln.

Tyndmyr
2012-06-25, 01:12 PM

Eh, I'd read the biography already. The meshing was aright, but really, I was reading the books for the added vampire element.

I'm pretty ok with the edited form of his life that made it into the movie.

JadedDM
2012-06-25, 01:19 PM
Aww, guys. No. No, don't see this. Don't give it your money. Come on! You realize they are making an action movie about Sir Issac Newton now? No, I am not kidding! (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rob-cohen-isaac-newton-movie-334848) The fact that Poe bombed has not discouraging Hollywood yet.

Tyndmyr
2012-06-25, 01:23 PM
Aww, guys. No. No, don't see this. Don't give it your money. Come on! You realize they are making an action movie about Sir Issac Newton now? No, I am not kidding! (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rob-cohen-isaac-newton-movie-334848) The fact that Poe bombed has not discouraging Hollywood yet.

*shrug* I don't see the problem. Action movies now have a dollop of history in them?

Better than Battleship.

Tal_Akaan
2012-06-25, 01:35 PM

I’m confused. I’m not supposed to see this movie because Rob Cohen is writing a script for a movie based on Isaac Newton?

JadedDM
2012-06-25, 03:32 PM
It's a trend; or becoming one. This idea of making a generic movie with a historic figure randomly inserted. There was that one about Poe solving a murder, and then Lincoln fighting vampires, and now they are working on the idea of Newton as a detective.

I mean, what's next? A buddy cop movie with Shakespeare? A wacky romantic comedy with George and Martha Washington? How about Albert Einstein fighting off an alien invasion?

On the bright side, it looks like Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter grossed just $16.5 million on a $70 million budget. So perhaps there is hope after all.

JoeMac307
2012-06-25, 03:36 PM
Seriously, I thought the book was one of the better books I've read in the last few years, and in comparison the movie was just average.

I haven't seen the movie, so I won't speak to it. But if this was one of the better books you've read in the last few years, that makes me kinda depressed. I mean, it was an okay book, but not a top 50% of the list of books I've read in the past three years type of book.

But you know, YMMV and all that jazz... (still makes me kinda sad though, to think this could be considered one of the better books from the past few years...)

JoeMac307
2012-06-25, 03:41 PM
How about Albert Einstein fighting off an alien invasion?

Check out Masks of the Illuminati (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masks_of_the_Illuminati) by Robert Anton Wilson... not a movie, only a book, but it features "Albert Eistein and James Joyce as the ultimate Space/Time Detectives!"

Awesome.

The Glyphstone
2012-06-25, 04:16 PM
I would pay all the money to see Tales From The Bully Pulpit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_From_the_Bully_Pulpit) as a movie.

Giggling Ghast
2012-06-25, 04:19 PM
Glad you guys enjoyed this movie, because no one seems to. :smalltongue:

Tiki Snakes
2012-06-25, 04:40 PM
It's a trend; or becoming one. This idea of making a generic movie with a historic figure randomly inserted. There was that one about Poe solving a murder, and then Lincoln fighting vampires, and now they are working on the idea of Newton as a detective.

I mean, what's next? A buddy cop movie with Shakespeare? A wacky romantic comedy with George and Martha Washington? How about Albert Einstein fighting off an alien invasion?

On the bright side, it looks like Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter grossed just $16.5 million on a $70 million budget. So perhaps there is hope after all.

I think I would watch any and all of those ideas. Minus Poe, and minus the romantic comedy because I generally avoid those regardless.

Traab
2012-06-25, 04:48 PM

I see a similar twist to shakespeare as was in leonardo dicaprios romeo and juliet movie. Struggling tv writer Billy Shakes is trying his hardest to keep his job. None of his show ideas have struck pay dirt, and the execs are getting tired of him. Suddenly, inspiration strikes! he comes up with a great movie of the week idea, where a rich noblemans brother poisons him to steal his rank, and his wife, while only the nobles son Hamilton, (Ham for short) realizes it. Ham sets out to prove his father was murdered, but to avoid being found out before he is ready, he starts pretending to be insane.

VanBuren
2012-06-25, 08:09 PM
I see a similar twist to shakespeare as was in leonardo dicaprios romeo and juliet movie. Struggling tv writer Billy Shakes is trying his hardest to keep his job. None of his show ideas have struck pay dirt, and the execs are getting tired of him. Suddenly, inspiration strikes! he comes up with a great movie of the week idea, where a rich noblemans brother poisons him to steal his rank, and his wife, while only the nobles son Hamilton, (Ham for short) realizes it. Ham sets out to prove his father was murdered, but to avoid being found out before he is ready, he starts pretending to be insane.

All while balancing his responsibilities as the newly discovered scion of the Oxfordion School of Ninjutsu, and their conflict with the ancient Shogun Warlord of the West.

Traab
2012-06-25, 08:14 PM
All while balancing his responsibilities as the newly discovered scion of the Oxfordion School of Ninjutsu, and their conflict with the ancient Shogun Warlord of the West.

No, thats albert einstein. He is a retired master of the ninja arts, settled down in his life of leisure and learning. At least, that was the plan. Then one day ninja from a rival school, who had always been jealous of his fame and ability, ambushed his family, killing his wife, his children, and all but one of his grandchildren. Im honestly torn on the choice here. Option 1, albert himself dusts off his ninjato and sneaking suit and goes out for revenge. Option 2, the wise old master trains his grandson, so that HE can go get vengeance. Either way, we get beatrice kiddo versus o-ren levels of blood and gore as SOMEONE carves their way through an army of half assed ninja goons, until they can take out the master of the rival school and end things once and for all.

Pokonic
2012-06-25, 08:23 PM

Nikola Tesla: Reanimator?

Traab
2012-06-25, 08:37 PM
Nikola Tesla: Reanimator?

Friedrich Nietzsche, the creator, and first test subject, of a new "superman" serum. Think a german captain america. Without the spandex.

Callos_DeTerran
2012-06-26, 01:31 AM

...And this is bad how? :smallbiggrin: I went into and out of the movie theater thinking the same thing...if this is the beginning of a historical figures fighting mythical creatures trend then it's one I can totally get behind.

George Washington: Zombie Killer.
Theodore Roosevelt: Werewolf Slayer.
Nikola Tesla: Witch Seeker.

...I'd watch any of those. I'd make those if I could. :smallbiggrin:

Morph Bark
2012-06-26, 03:11 AM
I so desperately really want to see this movie like oh my god

Killer Angel
2012-06-26, 04:32 AM

Of course they are.
Newton was for some years the Warden of the Royal Mint, when counterfeiting was high treason, punishable by death... Newton acted effectively as detective (it is said that he gathered evidences by himself, while disguised).
There's also (at least) one mystery-detective novel about it, but for the life of me I cannot recall the title...

Morph Bark
2012-06-26, 05:14 AM
Of course they are.
Newton was for some years the Warden of the Royal Mint, when counterfeiting was high treason, punishable by death... Newton acted effectively as detective (it is said that he gathered evidences by himself, while disguised).
There's also (at least) one mystery-detective novel about it, but for the life of me I cannot recall the title...

This (http://www.amazon.com/Newton-Counterfeiter-Detective-Greatest-Scientist/dp/0151012784), perchance?

Killer Angel
2012-06-26, 05:41 AM
This (http://www.amazon.com/Newton-Counterfeiter-Detective-Greatest-Scientist/dp/0151012784), perchance?

Sadly, it wasn't the book I knew. I've tried google, but the links with Newton are countless, and my google-fu is at a standard level...

AH, here it is!!!
Dark Matter (http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Matter-Private-Isaac-Newton/dp/1400049490).

So, we already have at least two books regarding Newton detective.

Fragenstein
2012-06-26, 05:55 AM
I mean, what's next? A buddy cop movie with Shakespeare?

It's been done.

http://www.shadowlocked.com/images/stories/whoreviews/tennant/The_Shakespeare_Code/The_Shakespeare_Code_.jpg

Multiple times, actually. Also the likes of Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Ben Franklin and more. Nobody seemed to mind it then.

Tyndmyr
2012-06-26, 07:12 AM
I mean, what's next? ... How about Albert Einstein fighting off an alien invasion?

I would watch this. Oh, yes.

Traab
2012-06-26, 07:53 AM
I would watch this. Oh, yes.

Bonus points if he uses his theory of relativity as a ultimate weapon to destroy them.

Hopeless
2012-06-26, 08:00 AM
...And this is bad how? :smallbiggrin: I went into and out of the movie theater thinking the same thing...if this is the beginning of a historical figures fighting mythical creatures trend then it's one I can totally get behind.

George Washington: Zombie Killer.
Nikola Tesla: Witch Seeker.

...I'd watch any of those. I'd make those if I could. :smallbiggrin

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen anyone?

Could cover several era's having them be on separate teams fighting the same foe, Washington during the Civil War, Tesla during the First World War and Roosevelt... well leave that to you!

Bulldog Psion
2012-06-26, 08:52 AM
Einstein fighting off an alien invasion -- I'd go see it in a second! :smallbiggrin:

shadow_archmagi
2012-06-26, 10:17 AM
Eventually they'll start running out of popular monsters and famous presidents, and so then we'll be blessed with Taft and That Thing That Takes Your Left Socks In The Night

Z3ro
2012-06-26, 11:01 AM
I haven't seen the movie, so I won't speak to it. But if this was one of the better books you've read in the last few years, that makes me kinda depressed. I mean, it was an okay book, but not a top 50% of the list of books I've read in the past three years type of book.

But you know, YMMV and all that jazz... (still makes me kinda sad though, to think this could be considered one of the better books from the past few years...)

When I judge quality, it's almost always entertainment value. Despite my English degree, I don't particularly enjoy taking apart literature and judging all that. If I'm entertained, I consider it good, and this book (for a variety of reasons) entertained me to no end. YMMV indeed.

I'm pretty sure this would be non-fiction.

Pie Guy
2012-06-26, 12:27 PM
Eventually they'll start running out of popular monsters and famous presidents, and so then we'll be blessed with Taft and That Thing That Takes Your Left Socks In The Night

Hey, Taft was good president. :smallfrown:

The Glyphstone
2012-06-26, 12:58 PM
Einstein fighting off an alien invasion -- I'd go see it in a second! :smallbiggrin:

Howabout Einstein fighting ninjas? (http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/1365964.html)

Tebryn
2012-06-26, 01:07 PM
Glad you guys enjoyed this movie, because no one seems to. :smalltongue:

Except for the people saying they enjoyed it. So certainly not everyone hasn't enjoyed the movie.

JoeMac307
2012-06-26, 02:08 PM
When I judge quality, it's almost always entertainment value. Despite my English degree, I don't particularly enjoy taking apart literature and judging all that. If I'm entertained, I consider it good, and this book (for a variety of reasons) entertained me to no end. YMMV indeed.

Fair enough. Despite my English degree (ha ha, a fellow English Major!), I don't read a lot of literature either. Stuff makes my head hurt. I read mostly genre fiction. I just didn't think ALVH was all that entertaining, is all. In the vampire genre, I was much more entertained by the Joe Pitt Casebooks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Pitt_Casebooks) by Charlie Huston.

But rereading my earlier post, I did come off like a judgmental POS... sorry about that. I thought the "YMMV" qualifier would temper it, but it only made me seem even more Summer's Eve-y. Apologies.

I edited a spacing error and a typo

Killer Angel
2012-06-27, 03:57 AM
Howabout Einstein fighting ninjas? (http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/1365964.html)

Awesome.
Now, we need only some pirates in it... :smallbiggrin:

Giggling Ghast
2012-06-27, 11:56 AM
Except for the people saying they enjoyed it. So certainly not everyone hasn't enjoyed the movie.

My comment was more of a joke about the movie's poor box office. No one else enjoyed it because no one else seen it, dohoho.

I actually watched this movie last night. Once you get past the silliness of the premise, it's actually a pretty decent action film.

I'm not entirely sure why being a vampire hunter entitles you to perform superhuman feats of speed and strength, but all is forgiven.

shadow_archmagi
2012-06-27, 10:20 PM
My comment was more of a joke about the movie's poor box office. No one else enjoyed it because no one else seen it, dohoho.

I actually watched this movie last night. Once you get past the silliness of the premise, it's actually a pretty decent action film.

I'm not entirely sure why being a vampire hunter entitles you to perform superhuman feats of speed and strength, but all is forgiven.

Apparently it's just something everyone can do if they tap into whatever zen stuff "From Truth Comes Power" that Lincoln's one hour training session with the tree teaches him.

Z3ro
2012-06-28, 10:14 AM
Apparently it's just something everyone can do if they tap into whatever zen stuff "From Truth Comes Power" that Lincoln's one hour training session with the tree teaches him.

This was actually one of my biggest dissapointments with the film. He trained for something like 8 years in the book and that was one of my favorite sections (the whole training/meeting Henry/training some more) and they left just about everything out of the movie.

SaintRidley
2012-06-28, 10:58 AM
How about Albert Einstein fighting off an alien invasion?

http://ebooks-imgs.connect.com/product/400/000/000/000/000/049/315/400000000000000049315_s4.jpg

WorldWar series. TVTropes warning. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WorldWar)

An Enemy Spy
2012-06-30, 12:29 AM

Of course they are. Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest son of a bitch in space.

Xondoure
2012-06-30, 11:52 PM
I just saw Abraham Lincoln killing vampires with an axe. I'm not sure I've ever been so sold on a concept. I forgive this movie of any and all flaws, for I'm afraid if it didn't I would have my head split in two.

The Glyphstone
2012-07-01, 08:21 AM
Of course they are. Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest son of a bitch in space.

Isaac Newton: Space Pirate. Coming soon to a Hollywood scriptwriter's desk near you.

Loki_42
2012-07-01, 10:25 AM
I have to agree that historical figure/overplayed genre is not a bad mash-up at all. I have yet to see or read Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter, but I intend to. I've actually often thought it would be cool to see like a buddy cop movie with J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis.

Finn Solomon
2012-07-01, 01:03 PM
There is literally nothing that can't be improved by adding Lincoln. I'll read, watch, whatever it is, if it has Lincoln in it I'm there.

Batman and Lincoln? Sure.

Lincoln's cookbook? Ee-yup.

Abraham Shepard, commander of the Normandy? Hell yeah.

Time traveling Lincoln lending Pres Obama a hand? Please.

Lincoln vs vampires? Do you even need to ask? And it has Wash and Ramona Flowers. That's like adding gratuitous amounts of cheese and bacon to your already delicious steak sandwich.

VanBuren
2012-07-01, 02:17 PM
Yeah, but now when I get around to publishing (and, of course, writing) my upcoming novel Abraham Lincoln Vs Zeus in Space, people are going to think it's a cheap rip-off/cash-in on the movie's popularity.

But mine is totally different. Abe doesn't fight zombies. In the last book of the trilogy (yes.) he fights Hitler on the moon. Not even comparable. :smallbiggrin:

Seraph
2012-07-01, 05:36 PM
In the last book of the trilogy (yes.) he fights Hitler on the moon. Not even comparable. :smallbiggrin:

I really hate to be the one to tell you, but. . . (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TalesFromTheBullyPulpit)

Totally Guy
2012-07-01, 05:45 PM
I'm waiting for Van Helsing: 16th President of the United States. :smalltongue:

VanBuren
2012-07-01, 07:15 PM
I really hate to be the one to tell you, but. . . (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TalesFromTheBullyPulpit)

Close, but I'm still OK. In mine, the moon is just where Hitler is hiding. He's terrorizing earth, but by possessing various Greek Gods.

It makes sense in context. Well, actually it doesn't. Yet.

Senator Cybus
2012-07-01, 09:49 PM
Winston Churchill, Leprechaun Wrangler

Florence Nightingale, Green Lantern

Mahatma Gandi, Troll Wrestler

This is the funnest game ever! :smallsmile:

VanBuren
2012-07-01, 10:25 PM
Winston Churchill, Leprechaun Wrangler

Florence Nightingale, Green Lantern

This is the funnest game ever! :smallsmile:

Herbert Hoover, Robot Rapis--

Wait. No. That's not right.

Gerald Ford, Dragonrider

No. I'm bad at this. Uh...

Richard Nixon, Whale King

No?

Eldan
2012-07-02, 05:19 AM
Ulysses S. Grant's Odyssey?

Woodrow Wilson, Will-o'the-Wisp Wrestler?

John F. Kennedy, Time Traveller?

Theodore Roosevelt, Theodore Roosevelt?

Gerald Ford, King of the Amazons?

Traab
2012-07-02, 07:59 AM
Theodore Roosevelt, Ghostbuster.

Having managed to hunt and kill everything that walks crawls flies or swims, Teddy the Terror has turned his sights upon the afterlife. Join him in his adventures as he creates a makeshift set of weaponry that can harm ghosts, and tracks them all down.

Theodore Roosevelt, not even death can save you from him.

Mewtarthio
2012-07-02, 09:54 AM
William Henry Harrison: Harrower of Hell

Harrison's presidency was the shortest in American history. What he did next, though, would echo through eternity...

The Glyphstone
2012-07-02, 10:01 AM
Theodore Roosevelt, Theodore Roosevelt?

Teddy Roosevelt, Mythos Slayer.

Avilan the Grey
2012-07-02, 12:28 PM
Theodore Roosevelt - Theodore Roosevelt = "Names to run away from really fast", at least if you are Cthulhu.

Winston Churchill - Warlord Of Mars

kpenguin
2012-07-02, 12:31 PM
Theodore Roosevelt, Ghostbuster.

Having managed to hunt and kill everything that walks crawls flies or swims, Teddy the Terror has turned his sights upon the afterlife. Join him in his adventures as he creates a makeshift set of weaponry that can harm ghosts, and tracks them all down.

Theodore Roosevelt, not even death can save you from him.

Obligatory link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvZP93XqyTw)

Soras Teva Gee
2012-07-02, 12:42 PM
Teddy Roosevelt, Mythos Slayer.

Do it with book subtitles

Theodore Roosevelt: At the Undersea Gates
Theodore Roosevelt: The Antarctic Ice
Theodore Roosevelt: A Summer in Innsmouth
Theodore Roosevelt: In the Empty Quarter

Fredaintdead
2012-07-02, 12:48 PM

I introduce you to: Gandhi, Time-Travelling Assassin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLmkQ86fr0g).

As well as:
Ben Franklin, Dragon Dentist
Che Guevara, Frankenstein Translator
Jeff Goldblum, Zombie Teacher

Lord Seth
2012-07-02, 01:55 PM
These all sound like ideas Time Squad might use.

Senator Cybus
2012-07-02, 10:43 PM
Richard Nixon, Whale King

No?

Yes! Film it now!!! :smallbiggrin:

I introduce you to: Gandhi, Time-Travelling Assassin.

As well as:
Ben Franklin, Dragon Dentist
Che Guevara, Frankenstein Translator
Jeff Goldblum, Zombie Teacher

See? Hours of fun! :smallbiggrin:

Isambard Kingdom Brunel, Steampunk Cyborg

Genghis Khan, Saviour of Pixie Land

William Makepeace Thackeray, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Mikeavelli
2012-07-02, 11:26 PM

Does anyone else think Einstein looks like Freddie Mercury after removing his Wig?

Unrelated epic posters:

Ben Franklin Acquires Electricity... From Zeus. (http://www.etsy.com/listing/87294979/ben-franklin-vs-zeus-hq-11x17-print)

George Washington fighting Zombies (http://www.etsy.com/listing/79898544/epic-size-george-washington-zombie)

Andrew Jackson, Alien Hunter (http://www.etsy.com/listing/71032035/andrew-jackson-alien-slayer-limited)

Abe Lincoln Reloaded (http://www.etsy.com/listing/87055779/abe-lincoln-reloaded-11x17-hq-print)

----------

Lastly, Stalin kills Hitler in a sorcery duel (http://johnl.org/2009/08/27/stalin-vs-hitler/)

And, I'm spent.

The Glyphstone
2012-07-03, 08:28 AM
Let's not forget Washington Invictus (http://mythpunk.blogspot.com/2009/07/washington-invictus.html).

Tyndmyr
2012-07-03, 08:35 AM
There's always the recent Coriolanus, in which a shakespearian play is set in modern times. No, they don't justify it as USA = Rome or any such modernizations. Just a modern day rome, with men screaming shakespeare as they shoot people with M-16s.

Karoht
2012-07-03, 02:04 PM
Just saw the film on the weekend. I rather had fun with it.
Yeah, it wasn't astounding, I wasn't expecting it to be. It's a silly premise based on a book which intentionally has a silly premise.
I had fun with the movie. Yeah, the first half is a bit rushed but it always felt like it was building something so I didn't mind. And it delivered, most rushed first halves tend to sort of go no where and expect the rest of the film to carry it out.

The pocket watch. It going back and forth set it up awesomely for what happens at the end.

The actions scenes really were not amazing, but they were entertaining enough.

Ultimately, I left the theater without regretting having paid admission to see the film. That is usually all I ask for these days, but it was honestly better than that.

Dominic Cooper really was solid.
The guy playing Abe was as awkward as he needed to be in the first half, then shaped up really well as an older Abe. He had great speech delivery which sold it for me.
Mary Winstead Elizabeth was his wife? Wow, didn't recognize her at all. She needs to be in Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Really. I won't watch it without her after seeing her fit the time period THAT perfectly. This from the girl who played Ramona Flowers? Damn.

Killer Angel
2012-07-04, 02:18 AM
Let's not forget Washington Invictus (http://mythpunk.blogspot.com/2009/07/washington-invictus.html).

Your link is not the OP (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119544)... :smallwink:

That said, it appears we can have also some Roosevelt (http://www.etsy.com/listing/79789662/limited-edition-fdr-battle-for-america?ref=v1_other_2).

Wardog
2012-07-07, 12:51 PM
Ghengis Khan vs. The Martians