PDA

View Full Version : Avian Races?

Zombulian
2012-06-23, 01:41 AM
Hey guys, I'm trying to think of races that would work for a certain character concept I have in my head right now. The look I am going for is similar to the Kenku, but I don't want a Small race. The only other two races I can think of right now are Raptoran and Hengeokai. Do you guys know of any others?

P.S. LA 0 would be optimal.

Vizzerdrix
2012-06-23, 02:21 AM
The look I am going for is similar to the Kenku, but I don't want a Small race.

I though Kenku where medium. :smallconfused:

Thurbane
2012-06-23, 02:24 AM
Kenku are medium - I believe one of the LA +0 race lists erroneously has them as small.

VGLordR2
2012-06-23, 02:24 AM
You could always try to make a Changeling work. However, I'm not really sure what the limitations are on their change shape ability.

willpell
2012-06-23, 02:50 AM
Aarakocra or whatever, from Forgotten realms? And I think there's at least one other.

Psyren
2012-06-23, 06:19 AM
Kenku are Medium - you can find their official 3.5 stats in MM3.

You can also use Tengu (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/races-of-the-dragon-empires/tengu) from Pathfinder, which are pretty similar.

GnomeGninjas
2012-06-23, 07:24 AM
Dragonborn template might work.

Suddo
2012-06-23, 10:44 AM
Winged Template from Savage Species is +2 LA but allows you to make anything winged.

Answerer
2012-06-23, 10:51 AM
Raptoran is by-far the best option here. You don't actually have to look like one just because you use their stats, provided you have a reasonable DM.

Ravens_cry
2012-06-23, 02:09 PM
Pathfinder has Strix (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/humanoids/strix), which admittedly are a lot like Raptoran.

Togath
2012-06-23, 02:14 PM
there's also the tengu from oriental adventures, though it's listed as +2 lvl adjustment race.

Lord.Sorasen
2012-06-23, 03:06 PM
Tengu in Pathfinder seem a pretty good choice, but it depends on your theme more than anything.

- If you want to be a flying bird person, go with the raptoran, from D&D 3.5! They can glide and jump far and later fly, which is pretty fun. You can probably reflavor it into something more looking like a tengu. I can't really see a problem with this one.
- The tengu from pathfinder is pretty cool if you're going more for bird head than bird body. They gain a "bite" attack with their beak, as well as proficiency in all of the sword like weapons. Monks have some pretty fun two-handed weapons that let them flurry with full power attack benefit. Yet they don't have flight, so that might put a dampener on things.

Invader
2012-06-23, 09:15 PM
There's also the Phoelarch from MM3

Descendant of the phoenix, death throes, healing fire, and rise from the ashes all = awesome IMO :smallwink:

Saintheart
2012-06-24, 12:29 AM
Avariel, from Forgotten Realms. Flying elves, basically, with a LA +3 :smallfrown:

Andion Isurand
2012-06-24, 06:23 PM
Avariels are basically sun elves with the winged template (+2 LA), which I recently modified to fill out its +2 LA.

Varient Avariels + Modified Winged Template (http://andionisurand.blogspot.com/2011/10/avariels-modified-winged-template.html)

Zombulian
2012-06-25, 01:48 AM
I like Tengu a lot. And the Strix intrigues me, but the PF link doesn't have a picture or even much of a backstory for them. Can anyone direct me there?

Lord.Sorasen
2012-06-25, 01:46 PM
http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/images/247451/strixbg.png

It's actually pretty hard to find images. I don't know if they ever officially made any more than this one.

They're basically a creature that flies, lives at the edge of the city, and hates humans with their hearts. There's not too much to it. But all of them contain bonuses to killing humans. They also can all fly. There are worse ways to go if you are looking for a 1 HD zombie, too.

Togath
2012-06-25, 02:48 PM
I like Tengu a lot. And the Strix intrigues me, but the PF link doesn't have a picture or even much of a backstory for them. Can anyone direct me there?

also, dont forget that the 3.5 kenku and the pf tengu(short athropomorphic birds without wings) have a different appearance to the 3.0 tengu(either short and human headed with wings, or tall and crow headed with wings)
edit; the strix picture is neat, I may use it sometime in my campaign, probably not the montser itself, but something with it's appearance could be neat, and would fit with the apearance of a creature i had planned to be a mini boss in the adventure i was planning to run sometime soon..

HunterColt22
2012-06-26, 08:31 AM
There's also the Phoelarch from MM3

Descendant of the phoenix, death throes, healing fire, and rise from the ashes all = awesome IMO :smallwink:

If I remember right though, they come with a hefty la, like 5 or something similar. Raptron, Kenku or Tengu are probably your best options. Raptron also got proficency with the foot bow, only reason to take plunging shot and have it be effective almost every time you fire.

Thurbane
2012-06-27, 03:16 PM
There's also the Anthropomorphic Eagle, Hawk, Owl & Raven in Savage Species...

Ravens_cry
2012-06-27, 04:17 PM
Googling Strix+Pathfinder is probably your best bet, though here's what the Pathfinder Wiki (http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Strix)has to say on them.

MrLemon
2012-06-27, 05:07 PM
If I remember right though, they come with a hefty la, like 5 or something similar. Raptron, Kenku or Tengu are probably your best options. Raptron also got proficency with the foot bow, only reason to take plunging shot and have it be effective almost every time you fire.
Also, scratch Rise from the ashes from the list of cool abilities, because you rise as a phoera, and MM3 tells you directly

While the phoera retains
many of the phoelarch’s abilities, this beautiful, red-andgold-
plumed bird has no memory of the phoelarch’s life. It
is, in fact, an entirely new creature.
So, instead of auto-resurrection, you get an irresurrectible character (except for the first 24h)

Aeryr
2012-06-27, 05:09 PM
Aarakocra or whatever, from Forgotten realms? And I think there's at least one other.

Those have LA

Invader
2012-06-27, 05:14 PM
Also, scratch Rise from the ashes from the list of cool abilities, because you rise as a phoera, and MM3 tells you directly

So, instead of auto-resurrection, you get an irresurrectible character (except for the first 24h)

I know exactly what it says, it doesn't make it not awesome though lol. You die and it gives the druid in the party an amazing AC and you go make something else. :smalltongue: