PDA

View Full Version : Learn a Psionic power feat?

BIGMamaSloth
2012-06-23, 01:42 AM
I remember there being a feat somewhere that will give someone with a pool of power points but no way to manifest powers a 1st level power to use. Am I dreaming? I thought it was in the SRD too...

On a side note, will a psionic character that's not gaining levels in a psionic class gain bonus power points according to this table:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/index.htm#thePowerPointReserve

common sense is pointing me to no, but one of my players asked and I can't make up my mind.

Mithril Leaf
2012-06-23, 01:45 AM
Well the hidden talent feat gives you a power and a point reserve. Might be what you're thinking of.

Also, they would not, they don't actually have levels in a psionic class.

The_Snark
2012-06-23, 02:45 AM
On a side note, will a psionic character that's not gaining levels in a psionic class gain bonus power points according to this table:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/index.htm#thePowerPointReserve

common sense is pointing me to no, but one of my players asked and I can't make up my mind.

Nope. It states "by class level" rather than "by character level", indicating that you only count levels in the appropriate class.

willpell
2012-06-23, 02:54 AM
Do note that Hidden Talent is not an "official" feat; it's presented as an option for a particular style of campaign, so you shouldn't assume it's allowed unless the DM okays it, and he's well within his rights not to. It's well above the power level typical of feats, so taking it could be unbalancing, and it definitely puts a spotlight on the character in a way that the other players might not be kosher with. You're welcome to ask, but have a back-up plan.

NineThePuma
2012-06-23, 04:02 AM
Please note that a 2/day 1st level SLA is effectively what Hidden Power is, and it isn't really all that strong; there are much better things to spend your feat slots on.

You can use it to maximum effectiveness by grabbing the Dimension Hop power, which gives you a Swift action teleport, which allows you to at least use your swift actions for something if you've got nothing else that needs them.

Answerer
2012-06-23, 11:30 AM
It's well above the power level typical of feats,
This is true only if you think of things like Alertness as "typical".

Hidden Talent is an OK feat, but I wouldn't bother with it in most campaigns. It's better than Wild Talent, it's true, but Wild Talent is awful.

Soranar
2012-06-23, 01:50 PM
Since the power you get doesn't scale

requires CHA 11 to manifest

the only decent options for non manifesting classes are

dimension hop (essentially a 10ft teleport as a swift action)
psionic minor creation (lasts 1 hour so it can be useful for many things)
charm person (lasts 1 hour, doesn't scale but that doesn't matter against a commoner or other low will save people, also qualifies you for mindbender)

Rejakor
2012-06-23, 02:06 PM
{{scrubbed}}

rot42
2012-06-23, 04:52 PM
While I agree that Hidden Talent is far from unbalancing in my experience, I do not think the derision on display here is called for. The feat is clearly marked as not being the default, and I would expect any player to consult with me before building a character that selects it (unless I happen to remember to mention it in the pre-game notes). I also regularly find myself considering it as an interesting addition to many builds; this is the mark of an above-average feat. Okay, usually just Dimension Hop, Expansion, Minor Creation or maybe Channel the Psychic Dragon for a Diplomancer NPC; doubly so if the DM will allow you find a largish stash of burnt out ioun stones. It is really too bad that Psionic Benign Transposition is a level 2 power.