PDA

View Full Version : Wizard's got hops? (5e)

7RED7
2012-06-23, 11:02 AM
I was just reading back through the playtest rules and I realized that a Wizard with his 8(-1) strength can make a high jump of 11 feet, and extend his arms another half of their height (~3 feet) for about 14 feet of reach.

Physically impaired characters with below average strength can compete with NBA players in dunking competitions.

Say What?! :smalltongue:

Anxe
2012-06-23, 11:50 AM
It says a high jump gets a person 3+str mod. With that -1 the wizard jumps 2 feet off the ground with a running jump. Pretty weak there. He can extend his arms half his height above him. The wizard is an elf, so lets say he is 5 feet tall. That gives him:

5+2.5+2 = 9.5 feet. He can't even touch the edge of a 10ft hole or a 10ft basketball hoop.

7RED7
2012-06-23, 12:24 PM
D'oh. I read that as score instead of modifier. I should not attempt any form of thought on Saturday morning. That is actually pretty spot on then. Nice. It's a good thing I'm too awesome to get embarrassed otherwise that would have been pretty embarrassing. :smallbiggrin:

Anxe
2012-06-23, 12:44 PM
Well it does mean that someone with strength 18 can jump 7 feet and still maintain a vertical body. I don't think that's possible. But this is a game of heroes, so they get to do pretty ridiculous things.