PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Shaman Energy Aura on Miss??

DrizztFan24
2012-06-23, 11:31 AM
The Rule as Written:

Energy Shield:Any creature striking you or your ally with a natural attack or a nonreach melee weapon is dealt two points of energy damage for each point of your aura bonus. The energy type is that of your totem dragon's damage dealing breath weapon.

If a monster, like a lion, with multiple attacks (claw/claw, bite, rake) attempts his full round action which attempts actually cause harm back to the lion? Here are the possible outcomes of a dice roll:
1. Miss: the dice roll is a 2 and it misses completely.
2. Touch: the dice roll is a 12, the attack makes physical contact with the Dragon Shaman but does not beat the armor class.
3. Hit: The dice roll is a 19, the attack hits the player and is sufficient to overcome the armor class. The player takes damage.

Does the lion take damage on all three scenarios?

My kids and I were playing last night and when a fleshraker pounced on the Dragon Shaman, the poor dinosaur ended up taking about 45 points of fire damage from the various attacks. The aura damage completely nerfed the attack and the dinosaur was out of commission instantly.

How do you guys resolve this?

Answerer
2012-06-23, 11:51 AM
Strike means hit; if it had said attack, then it would have worked on misses, but it doesn't. The creature has to actually score a hit (including Armor, Shield, and Natural Armor AC) in order for the damage to occur.

On the other hand, this is really weak, and the Dragon Shaman is a really awful class, so I would recommend empowering it by any means necessary. Your Dragon Shaman actually did something in combat?! Don't change anything! It's hard for that to ever happen, and it's a good thing that it did. Trust me when I say that the Dragon Shaman will have a hard time replicating that, even with this favorable houserule.

KillianHawkeye
2012-06-24, 01:07 AM
I agree, strike = hit.