PDA

View Full Version : Doureo

Thalassomedon
2012-06-23, 03:37 PM
I need some help in fixing the angel listed below. This angel really hated undead.

Doureo, Angel of Light and Healing
Large Outsider (Angel, Extraplanar, Lawful Good)
Divine Rank: 0
HD: 28d8+125 (325)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 60 ft, Fly 200 ft (perfect
AC: 48
BAB/Grapple: 25/38
Attack: +5 Sacred Burst Bastard Sword +38 melee (2d8+15/19-20) or Slam +33 (2d8+14)
Full Attack: Greatsword +38/+33/+28/+23 (2d8+15/19-20)
Space/Reach: 10'/10'
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, spells
Special Qualities: DR 35/+4, Immunities (Transmutation, Energy Drain, Ability Drain, Death Effects, Ability Damage, Mind-Affecting Effects, Stunning, Fire Immunity), Energy Resistance 20, Spell Resistance 32, Immortality, Holy Grace
Saves: Fort +19, Ref +18, Will +21
Abilities: Str 32 Dex 18, Con 27, Int 25, Wis 25, Cha 25
Skills: ----
Feats: Flyby Attack, Hover, Improved Initiative, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Power Attack, Two-Weapon Fighting
Environment: ----
CR: 23
Treasure: ----
Alignment: Always Lawful Good

Standing at the center of a blindingly bright cloud of light is an empyreal figure that appears to be a twelve feet tall human male. Six pairs of wings of made out of golden light sprout from his back. The wings have a wingspan of thirty-six feet. He is muscular, sleek muscles rippling under his glowing golden skin. On his head he wears a golden crown crafted in imitation of the sun’s rays. His hair is bright shining gold, almost the color of the sun reaches down to his broad shoulder. His angelic looking face has a strong, square jaw line and a square hairline. His eyes are bright golden in color and burn like miniature suns. He wears a flowing robe made from a thin silk like material. If you look at it closely the random starry night pictured on it becomes a moving galaxy of its own. Within this galaxy you can see the sun in all its glory. Look at it too long and so you will feel like you are surrounded by the swirling vortex that is the cosmos. On his feet he wears leather sandals. In his hands he holds a magnificent looking two-handed sword that is twelve feet in length. The blade is etched with angelic runes. He holds the sword as if it where an extension of his body.

Any undead strike by his sword must make a Fortitude save (DC 30) or be utterly destroyed.
Lord of Healing and Light: At will, Doureo may cast any light and healing spells from any spell list as a 20th level caster.
Holy Grace: Doureo adds his Charisma modifier as a bonus to all of his saving throws and as a deflection bonus to his AC. (The statistics block already reflects these bonuses.)
Spells: Doureo casts spells as a 20th level Cleric with access to the domains of Law, Good, Death, and War.
Doureo has the following spell-like powers that are in constant effect. They are detect undead, detect evil, discern lies, see invisibility, speak with dead, and true seeing. Even by the will of Doureo himself they may not be dispelled.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-06-23, 03:44 PM
What, specifically, needs fixing? I mean, there are certain things that I know need to be fixed just by looking at them (28 HD with a BAB of 25? How was that managed? Also, his bonus HP from CON modifier with 28 HD should be 224, not 125), but unless you're looking for us to fix the numbers, I'm not sure exactly what you want us to do for you.

Thalassomedon
2012-06-23, 03:52 PM
I am new to making monster. What should I look at that can help me in fixing this angel up right? What do you think of his abilities so far? Do you think he needs any other abilities? How do i go about fix the mistake in angel's sheet? What skills would be good for this angel to have? I would like the blindingly bright cloud of light surroundimg to have some effect. How much damage should any evil creature or undead attempting to wield his take?

I also left out he dislikes liars. How do i handle the fact he can appear as either sex?

Lonely Tylenol
2012-06-23, 04:20 PM
I am new to making monster. What should I look at that can help me in fixing this angel up right?

Go down the stat block, in order, and check that every individual thing is correct.

For instance, the very first thing that we know is that the creature is Large. That means that they have a -1 to hit, -1 to AC, +4 to Grapple, -4 to Hide, has a natural reach of 10, and occupies more than one square, as demonstrated here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#bigandLittleCreatu resInCombat).

The second thing we know is that the creature is an Outsider. That means that the creature is going to have a D8 Hit Dice, full Base Attack Bonus (HD/1), good Fortitude, Reflex and Will saves (HD/2 + 2), 8+INT skills per Hit Dice (x4 at 1st), and the traits of an Outsider as described here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm). Some of these are related to Hit Dice (BAB, saves, and skill points), but we can still plug some of the static numbers in. Next, we know its subtypes, which are Angel, Extraplanar, Lawful and Good. These can all be plugged in accordingly (these traits are all static).

Next, we know that it is Divine Rank 0, so we can plug all these abilities in (where they are not related to Hit Dice).

Next, Hit Dice. A lot of things start to kick in here. We know that the creature has a Hit Dice of 28, so the creature will have (28*4.5)+(28*CON modifier) Hit Points, a Base Attack Bonus of +28, a base Fortitude, Reflex and Will save of 16 (28/2 + 2), and 31*(8+INT) skill points. We also know the caster level for Hit Dice-dependent abilities (such as the Angel subtype's tongues and protective aura abilities).

Continue with ability scores, and the modifiers they produce, and so on.

What do you think of his abilities so far?

I don't understand why Lord of Healing and Grace is particularly necessary, as it already casts spells as a 20th-level Cleric, but I guess having it at-will is nice. The other abilities look fine.

Do you think he needs any other abilities?

I would start by giving at least the text description for the Divine Rank 0 abilities, where necessary.

How do i go about fix the mistake in angel's sheet?

Whoops, already covered this.

What skills would be good for this angel to have?

Sense Motive, Listen, Heal, Knowledge (Religion), Knowledge (the Planes), Concentration, all good places to start. Avoid STR-based skills (Jump and Climb are irrelevant to a creature with a flight speed) and CHA-based skills (Diplomacy and Bluff were never designed to work with NPC-to-PC interaction on behalf of the PC, but in particular I would make sure to avoid Diplomacy).

I would like the blindingly bright cloud of light surround to have some effect.

It blinds undead creatures who fail a Will save, as the Blinding Beauty ability of the Nymph (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/nymph.htm)?

I also left out he dislikes liars.

Sounds like an always-on Zone of Truth to me.

How do i handle the fact he can appear as either sex?

At-will Disguise Self. Common for a lot of outsiders (though usually the evil ones) and dragons.

Thalassomedon
2012-06-23, 04:35 PM
I get the idea for him for Lord of Healing and Light abilities from Ormazd and Michael who are found in the d20 book Encyclopedia of Angels. Ormaz as the Lord of Flames could duplicate the effects of any fire spell as a standard action. Michael at will could cure wounds, disease, blindness, deafness, and curing curse at will in addition to restoring lost limbs. I want him to have the Lord of Healing and Light so he could heal people any time without having to cast a spell or worrying if he has the healing spell available to cast since he is the angel of healing.

I thought he had to ability to assume one human female form besides his own natural form.

What if his light blinds all undead and evil creatures who fail a save throw?

If I should avoid Diplomacy then why do NPCs have that skill? Why do some flying creatures have the Jump skill? What about getting the skills Knowledge (undead) and Heal?

Urpriest
2012-06-23, 06:27 PM
Knowledge (undead) isn't a skill, Heal isn't useful since he can cast healing spells. I don't think Diplomacy is all that much of a problem, after all this guy exists in the world and needs to at least use Diplomacy on other angels. Flying creatures with the Jump skill generally don't have perfect maneuverability.

If you didn't already know that outsiders get full BAB then you really shouldn't be making your own monsters at this point. Learn about how monsters work first. The guide in my sig is aimed at beginners.

Thalassomedon
2012-06-23, 08:27 PM
Where can I find the rules for doing the number of attacks for him past 20HD? I have seen in The Encyclopaedia of Angels that a character with 32 HD has a 5 attacks while in BoED a monster with 36 HD has 4 attacks.

Urpriest
2012-06-23, 08:32 PM
Where can i find the rules for doing the number of attacjs for him past 20HD? I have seen in The Encyclopaedia of Angels that a character with 32 HD has a 5 attacks while in BoED a monster with 36 HD has 4 attacks.

Epic Level Handbook, page 7: a high base attack bonus can never grant more than four attacks. Remember that the Encyclopaedia of Angels was made by different people than the people who made D&D, and they used different rules.

Thalassomedon
2012-06-23, 08:44 PM
Epic Level Handbook, page 7: a high base attack bonus can never grant more than four attacks. Remember that the Encyclopaedia of Angels was made by different people than the people who made D&D, and they used different rules.Thanks for that info!:smallsmile:

Thalassomedon
2012-06-23, 08:48 PM
Knowledge (Religion) covers undead then?

Would it be to much if his attribute are as high as RAZIEL, THE CRUSADER. His attributes are Abilities: Str 38, Dex 29, Con 34, Int 28, Wis 28, Cha 22

Urpriest
2012-06-23, 08:52 PM
Knowledge (Religion) covers undead then?

Yes. And fair warning for the future, the mods here discourage double posting. If you're the last poster on a thread, just edit your last post to include the new information.

Edit: Depends what you're doing with it. Ability scores in particular are hardly an exact science. What sort of encounters is this guy meant to take part in? What does he need to do in general? How high ranking is he?

Another thing to keep in mind: since you're new at this, it might be better to stick with a preexisting being and make minor modifications. You can build things from the ground up when you're more used to how monsters work.

Thalassomedon
2012-06-23, 09:12 PM
I know for one he is sent out to kill undead especially powerful ones. How do I play out the fact he is the Angel of Light and Healing? He is a very powerful servant of good and I see him as being more powerful then a Solar. I would see him serving a deity that has healing and/or light as part of its portfolio. The deity he serve should be Lawful Good.

Urpriest
2012-06-23, 09:21 PM
I know for one he is sent out to kill undead especially powerful ones. How do I play out the fact he is the Angel of Light and Healing? He is a very powerful servant of good and I see him as being more powerful then a Solar. I would see him serving a deity that has healing and/or light as part of its portfolio. The deity he serve should be Lawful Good.

Ok, so he's serving a deity. Is he that deity's right-hand man, or further down the totem pole? I might be tempted to make him a divine proxy, depending on his role, potentially using the base Solar stats and then adding the proxy traits on top to give him the boost in power you intend.

Another important question to ask is how you expect him to interact with the players. Is he an ally? An enemy? A patron? How high level is the party, and how long will it be until they interact with him?

Thalassomedon
2012-06-23, 10:08 PM
He is one of the top servants that Pelor has.

He is an ally of the party which is 17th level. He is here to help them slay a powerful fighter/wizard vampire. He joins the party on the way to slaying this vampire.

Grail
2012-06-23, 10:30 PM
Do you really need to stat him up? I know that it can be fun sometimes, but if he is going to be used in a game, unless the characters are ever going to go up against him, creatures like this should be defined more by characterization than by mechanics. It will also allow you to be far more flexible with him.

Thalassomedon
2012-06-23, 10:45 PM
I could see one of the characters trying to steal his equipment. If stats are not important then how should I set him up? How do I defined him more by characterization than by mechanics?

Debihuman
2012-07-12, 12:43 PM
I need some help in fixing the angel listed below.

BAB should be 28, same as a fighter and equal to its HD.

Grapple: BAB + Str Modifier + Special Size Mod (+ 28, + 12, +4 for a total of +44 to grapple).

How did you arrive at the armor class? 10 + natural armor plus whatever other bonuses it should have say from wearing armor or from special abilities, etc.

Why no skills? 8 + Int Modifier x4 at 1st level and 8 + Int Modifier for each additional HD. Yes, it is a lot of skills but that's normal for outsiders. Only mindless creatures don't get skills and feats.

Speaking of feats, it's missing a lot. it gets one for 1st HD, 3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, 18th, 21st, 24th and 27th. It should have 10 feats.

Divine Rank 0 just gives it immortality. And that is missing from Special Abilities as is Darkvision 60 feet.

There is no DR 35/+4 in 3.5. That would be DR 35/magic.

I'm sure there is more but I just don't have time to go through this line by line.

Debby

Thalassomedon
2012-07-19, 01:31 AM
I am going to have the players fight him as a fallen angel. How would I have him seduced by a succubus to the dark side. This succubus causes him to be kick outed of the Seven Heavens and into the 133rd layer of the Abyss. I know that after his fall from grace he take the succubus who caused his fall as one of his three wives. So how would I make his beauty fiendish. I know that he will have dark brown skin, jet-black hair, and possibly black or solid black eyes. I would like him as a fallen angel to be a master of lies.

His succubus wife has given birth twin daughters that are 6 years old, his first human wife gave birth to triplet daughters and his second wife gave birth to twin daughters. All of his children from his human wives are 4 years old. How would his wives be corrupted by the Abyss?

Feats: Flyby Attack, Hover, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Nimbus of Light, Improved Sunder, Improved Critical, Purify Spell-like Ability, Spell Focus (Good), Words of Creation

silphael
2012-07-19, 06:44 AM
To corrupt such a high ranking angel, you will need far more than just a succubus, because she isn't likely to survive more than one second or so... About gender, angel are often shapechange with alter self as spell like ability.

On the first point I mentionned, fallen often changes not so much than how they were, and he may become obsessed with truth or something like that.

Thalassomedon
2012-07-19, 09:45 AM
To corrupt such a high ranking angel, you will need far more than just a succubus, because she isn't likely to survive more than one second or so... About gender, angel are often shapechange with alter self as spell like ability.

On the first point I mentionned, fallen often changes not so much than how they were, and he may become obsessed with truth or something like that.What Female Demon would work then as the fiend that brought his down fall? I would like the female demon that cause his down fall to very seductive and fiendishly attractive. He also take this female demon as his first wife. Level 133rd of the Abyss is going to be his new home. What fallen angel template should I use? I have the Anger of Angels and the Book of Fiends. How would I make his looks be more of a dark beauty?

silphael
2012-07-19, 11:15 AM
I was talking about psychological changes, not physical, sorry.