PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a spell...

Ranting Fool
2012-06-23, 03:43 PM
I'm looking for a spell, well an item really. That will detect a person/monster's stats.

Or rather I'm looking for something that could be used to detect stat scores such as Int, Wis, Cha

Say you have a trippyverse style mage mega world, clearly you'd want to train up new casters but how do you find those with the core stats able to cast magic?

Seeing as you need 11 for level 1 spells, 15 for level 5 and so on is there a spell or item out there somewhere that will allow you to use it on someone to see if they have enough of a base stat to bother trying to train?

If there is i'd very much be greatful if you could point me in the right direction :smallbiggrin: cheers.

P.S Yes I could just handwave it and homebrew the item but I was wondering if one exists already.

whibla
2012-06-23, 04:17 PM
A Rubik's Cube or other non-magical puzzle - tests Intelligence.

Various logic problems, or scenarios - tests Wisdom.

"If you can throw this brick through the window* you'd be welcome to join the academy.."

'Team building' exercises, to assess leadership potential - tests Charisma.

Whilst there is a tendancy to want to throw magic at a problem, I'm not sure if it's necessary...

*No-one says you can't open the window first, or look out of it before you throw. Nothing says unwise like broken glass, and a brained acolyte in the quad...

Venusaur
2012-06-23, 05:51 PM
(Maximized) Ray of stupidity and other such spells will let you find out stats by virtue of high stat characters not being put into a coma or paralyzed or whatever.

Madara
2012-06-23, 06:04 PM
Telepathy+ Mindsight feat
allows for detection of creature's type, and their Int score.

TuggyNE
2012-06-23, 06:31 PM
More simply, detect thoughts (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectThoughts) will do the trick for Int.

Ranting Fool
2012-06-23, 06:38 PM
More simply, detect thoughts (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectThoughts) will do the trick for Int.

Two rounds and a level 2 spell, thank you very much this was exactly what I was looking for :smallbiggrin:

Slipperychicken
2012-06-23, 09:45 PM
Find some way to deal exactly 1 ability damage at a time, then record the number of hits until comatose. Use the same method to determine hp, probably by letting an average-strength creature beat the subject with a Fine-sized Sap (exactly 1 damage per hit, 2 for a critical) until KO, counting the number of hits required.

Curmudgeon
2012-06-23, 10:39 PM
Find some way to deal exactly 1 ability damage at a time, then record the number of hits until comatose. Use the same method to determine hp, probably by letting an average-strength creature beat the subject with a Fine-sized Sap (exactly 1 damage per hit, 2 for a critical) until KO, counting the number of hits required.
What objective way do you have of determining if a hit dealt 1 or 2 points of damage? The attacker just keeps hitting, but they don't know how much damage was dealt. They don't, for instance, know if their opponent has damage reduction, or is immune to critical hits.

herrhauptmann
2012-06-23, 10:45 PM
That, that is probably the most tippyverse answer.

Various logic problems, or scenarios - tests Wisdom.

"If you can throw this brick through the window* you'd be welcome to join the academy.."

Whilst there is a tendancy to want to throw magic at a problem, I'm not sure if it's necessary...

*No-one says you can't open the window first, or look out of it before you throw. Nothing says unwise like broken glass, and a brained acolyte in the quad...
Hmmm, you ever heard of Admiral Rickover from the US navy's nuclear power program?
Every officer that wanted to get into the program had to go through interviews like that.

Admiral: "Make me mad. You have 90 seconds"
Ensign: "Uhh, anything?"
Admiral: 48, 47..."
Ensign: Sees scale model of the USS Nautilus. And realizes he's sitting in a chair light enough to lift, but heavy enough to break things.

Or

Ensign walks into the office, and Rickover gestures for him to sit down.
Attempts to talk to the admiral, who doesn't say a word, just taps a pen against the desk.
Ensign sits there staring at the admiral, who's getting angrier and angrier, before finally throwing the pen at him and yells for him to get out (complete with insults)
Turns out, Rickover was tapping out instructions Morse code.

TuggyNE
2012-06-23, 10:49 PM

If, for some reason, you want to measure Str, shove death ward on, then slap them with chill touch and measure how many failed saves it takes for paralysis.