PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5 Base Class] Urban Vigilante

Lohj
2012-06-23, 09:10 PM
Name:
Urban Vigilante
This class is intended for a campaign that takes place at least 2/3 of the time in one city. The benefits of this class are the kind that lose their purpose if extended to far. Please enjoy using this, as your vigilante brings those who do wrong to justice.

http://www.forevergeek.com/wp-content/media/2011/01/rorschach.jpg
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no." ~Rorschach, Watchmen

Class Skills:The urban vigilante class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha) Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Criminal) Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Cha), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex), and Use Rope (Dex). See Chapter 4: Skills for skill descriptions.
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) × 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier
Alignment: Any-non-evil-Lawful. The urban vigilante devotes his life to the destruction of evil, thus they must never become the evil they fight.
Hit Dice: d8
{table]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|+1|+2|+2|+0|Weapon of Justice, Track, Mercy
2nd|+2|+2|+3|+0|Detect Evil, Tools of the Trade
3rd|+3|+3|+3|+1|Investigator, Interrogation
4th|+4|+4|+4|+1|Strike of Conviction, Information Network
5th|+5|+4|+4|+1|Tireless
6th|+6/+1|+5|+5|+2|"Ideas are bulletproof..."
7th|+7/+2|+5|+5|+2|City's Guardian
8th|+8/+3|+6|+6|+2|Urban Tracker
9th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+3|Evasion
10th|+10/+5|+7|+7|+3|I Know This City, (In)Famous
11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+7|+3|The Lair
12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+8|+4|Inspiring/Despairing Aura
13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+8|+4|Camouflage
14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+9|+4|Strength of Body
15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+9|+5|Strength in Numbers
16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+10|+5|Improved Evasion
17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+5|Hide in Plain Sight
18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+11|+6|Shout of Belief
19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+11|+6|Moment of Truth
20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+12|+6|True Strength[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: An urban vigilante is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with light armor, medium armor, and shields (except tower shields).

Weapon of Justice(EX): No matter who it is, every urban vigilante has the same enemy: Those who would do malicious harm to the innocent. Thus, they dedicate their lives to crushing all evil in their city. Starting at level 1, the vigilante gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Listen, Sense Motive, and Spot against all Evil creatures, and a +2 bonus to damage against these foes. In addition, starting at level 5, the bonuses granted by this feature increases by 2, and every 5 levels thereafter it increases by another 2. (+2 at 1, +4 at 5, +6 at 10, +8 at 15, and +10 at 20.)

Mercy (EX): Keeping his target alive is important. A vigilante can choose to deal non-lethal damage with any weapon he is proficient with without taking the -4 penalty to attack rolls.

Detect Evil (EX): By honing their instincts, a 2nd level vigilante can detect evil as the spell at will.

Investigator: The vigilante gains Investigator as a bonus feat at 2nd level.

Interrogation: At 2nd level, the vigilante gains a +2 bonus to all intimidate checks made against a helpless foe. In addition, the vigilante can deal 1d4 or 1d6 damage to the foe, and gain an additional bonus to the intimidate check equal to the damage done.

Tools of the Trade: The vigilante has tools that he uses on a regular basis in his adventures. These are: Lock Pick Kit, Grapple Hook, 60 ft of Rope, and a pack to carry them in. These items do not count towards his encumbrance.

Endurance: A vigilante gains Endurance as a bonus feat at 3rd level.

Information Network (EX): Starting at 5th level, the vigilante has put together a vast information network of people who want to see him succeed. By spending an indefinite amount of time, the vigilante gains a bonus on his Gather Information checks. This bonus is equal to +5 per hour spent.

Strike of Conviction (EX): A vigilante may channel their belief in justice into one normal melee attack. He adds his Charisma bonus (if any) to his damage rolls against Evil creatures. This extra damage can be converted with Mercy.

Tireless(EX):Honing their body to the most effective tool it can be, the vigilante can now go double the normal time without resting before suffering from fatigue. Normally, a character can go for 1 hour of strenuous activity, or 8 hours of activity before suffering fatigue. The vigilante can now go for 2 hours of strenuous activity, or 16 hours of activity before suffering fatigue.

"Ideas Are Bulletproof..."(EX): The vigilante is becoming more and more used to its battle with evil. He gains Damage Reduction 1/evil. This increases by 1 for every 6 levels of vigilante above this. (2/evil at 12, and 3/evil at 18.)

City’s Guardian (EX): The vigilante has now gained, at least grudgingly, the respect of his city’s citizens. He gains a +3 bonus to all Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Listen, Sense Motive, and Spot checks made in his city of residence. If he changes residence from one city to another, it takes 1d4 months of hard work to gain the city’s trust, and until that time he loses all benefits of this feature. This bonus increases by 1 for every 4 levels afterwards (+4 at 11, +5 at 15, and +6 at 19)

Urban Tracker (Ex): Beginning at 8th level, a vigilante can move at his normal speed while following tracks without taking the normal –5 penalty while in a city. He takes only a –10 penalty (instead of the normal –20) when moving at up to twice normal speed while tracking.

Evasion (Ex): At 9th level, a vigilante can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save (such as a red dragon’s fiery breath or a fireball), he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the vigilante is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless vigilante (such as one who is unconscious or paralyzed) does not gain the benefit of evasion.

(In)Famous(EX): The vigilante has now grown into his own. From level 10 on, all Lawfully aligned creatures he comes into contact who know what he is with start 1 attitude step above the normal. Any weapon he wields is treated as Lawful aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. In addition, all Evil aligned creatures he comes into contact with who know what he is start 2 attitude steps below the normal.

I Know This City (EX): After spending so much time in his city, he knows it like he knows himself. He can sense the eddies and tides of the criminal element. He can hear the breath of its citizens in sleep. At level 10, the vigilante can never again get lost in his city. He is treated as having a perfectly detailed map at all times, and after 1 hour spent in investigating, he can find any criminal element’s main base in his city, though only that.

The Lair:The urban vigilante has established themselves permanently into their city. This lair is a manor, cave, or tower located somewhere in the city that only they themselves are privy to its true purpose. This lair comes complete with a month’s worth of supplies for 5 people, or 5 months for 1 person. In addition, the lair has a ‘front’ that functions as a service provider (vigilante’s choice for exact specifications) for bringing revenue into the vigilante’s hands, granting them 1d4*100 gp per month. The front is a well-known shop, factory, tavern, inn, or the like that exists on top of, below, or outside of the Hero’s Lair. The lair is also equipped with facilities to contain 5,000 pounds of equipment, 5 rooms, each with one locking chest, one wardrobe and one washroom, and a main hall that contains training equipment for basic melee and ranged training, as well as a meeting table with a complete map of the city as well as the outlying area. Building the Lair takes 3 months and 3,000 GP.

Inspiring/despairing Aura (EX): The vigilante is now a figure of inspiration to those who fight the good fight. A Good aligned vigilante gives all good aligned creatures that are allied with the vigilante a +2 competence bonus to all saving throws and attack rolls made while within 30 feet of and can see the vigilante.
Conversly, a Neutral Aligned Vigilante forces a -2 fear penalty upon all saving throws and attack rolls for all evil aligned creatures who are fighting the vigilante, are within 30 feet of and can see him. This is a mind-affecting ability.

Camouflage (Ex): A vigilante of 13th level or higher can use the Hide skill in any sort of urban terrain, even if the terrain doesn’t grant cover or concealment.

Strength of Body: A 14th level vigilant is growing in strength, gaining a +4 inherent bonus to Reflex and Fortitide saves.

Strength In Numbers (EX): A lone hero is easy pickings, but a group of like minded individuals is indeed a formidable foe. For every ally adjacent to the vigilante, the vigilante gains a +2 deflection bonus to their AC. (a vigilante with one ally gets +2, two allies +4, three allies +6, etc.) Whatever AC bonus granted by this ability to the vigilante is equally granted to his adjacent allies.

Improved Evasion (EX): This ability works like evasion, except that while the vigilante still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks such as a dragon’s breath weapon or a fireball, henceforth he henceforth takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless vigilante (such as one who is unconscious or paralysed) does not gain the benefit of
improved evasion.

Hide in Plain Sight (EX): While in any sort of urban terrain, a vigilante of 17th level or higher can use the Hide skill even while being observed.

Shout of Belief (EX): An 18th level vigilante can shout once per day with all his conviction. All enemies within 60 ft must make a will save (DC = 10 + vigilant level) or be shaken for a number of rounds equal to the vigilante's Charisma modifier.

Moment of Truth (EX): In his hour of greatest need, the vigilant stands back up, and is ready to fight. Once per week, a level 19th vigilante that has been reduced to negative hit point can expend this power to regain hitpoints equal to twice his level and stand back up as an immediate action.

True Strength: At level 20, the vigilante has become the epitome of the belief in justice. The vigilante is now immune to all mind affecting spells, spell-like abilities, super natural effects, and Extraordinary abilities. Additionally, every weapon the vigilante wields is treated as a +1 weapon, or if it is already a magic weapon, its magic bonus increases by 1.

Ex-Urban Vigilantes: Those vigilantes who become un-Lawful, kill when unnecessary, or kill innocents purposely lose all features of this class, except weapon proficiencies and base attack bonus and saves. The Atonement spell is the only way to regain the vigilante’s features.

All credit for original idea go to Diovid (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=56600)

Howler Dagger
2012-06-23, 10:38 PM
I'm going to be brutally honest, this feels like a carbon-copy of the ranger. I would assume you want to make this feel unique, so Here is a list of things I would change:

Manke it a Martial Adept. This allows for in-combat versatility and variety, and gives your class some staying power.

Remove or drastically change combat style. This is what made me really think "ranger" because you (I would assume) copy-and-pasted the description from the Ranger SRD entry.

Fill the dead levels. Without spell-casting or initiation nothing really happens in those levels, and you should provide motivation for characters to stick with your class.

Also, Camouflage as you have written it won't help much in an urban environment because you need natural terrain.

I would recommend replacing track with urban tracking (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#urbanTracking) to make it useful for an urban vigilante. I would also recommend looking at the Urban Ranger, which right now looks a lot more attractive option that this class.

I would recommend some bonus to saves/attack rolls while in his native city, and add a lot more bonuses/class features that only work in his home city, and have a separate entry for designating his home city.

As written, mercy doesn't actually do anything, since you can already do what it says you can do (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/injuryandDeath.htm#nonlethalDamage), albeit with a penalty. You need to change it to remove the -4 penalty.
Also, as written,

Lohj
2012-06-23, 10:45 PM
I'm going to be brutally honest, this feels like a carbon-copy of the ranger. I would assume you want to make this feel unique, so Here is a list of things I would change:

Manke it a Martial Adept. This allows for in-combat versatility and variety, and gives your class some staying power.

Remove or drastically change combat style. This is what made me really think "ranger" because you (I would assume) copy-and-pasted the description from the Ranger SRD entry.

Fill the dead levels. Without spell-casting or initiation nothing really happens in those levels, and you should provide motivation for characters to stick with your class.

Also, Camouflage as you have written it won't help much in an urban environment because you need natural terrain.

I would recommend replacing track with urban tracking (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#urbanTracking) to make it useful for an urban vigilante. I would also recommend looking at the Urban Ranger, which right now looks a lot more attractive option that this class.

I would recommend some bonus to saves/attack rolls while in his native city, and add a lot more bonuses/class features that only work in his home city, and have a separate entry for designating his home city.

First order of business: Yes, it is an almost carbon copy of the ranger class. I was simply doing a rough draft for a request I had from: Brainstorming 3.5 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13443258#post13443258)
I was simply starting this as a variant to the ranger, based on the original requester's desire.
2nd, I appreciate your advice. I didn't want to make this class overpowered, but maybe it is tier 5 right now, which was not my intent. I will add in some bonuses in battle for fighting in the Favored City, something like Blindsense, but more along the lines of "I know this city like the back of my hand."
3rdly, I put in the wrong edition, the one with the correct labels. Thank you for pointing that out.

McToomin
2012-06-24, 12:11 PM
I thought the class had a very Batman-y feel until I got to the fighting styles, which only consist of two-weapon fighting and archery. Nothing against those combat styles, but not only did they deviate from the Batman fluff (which I may have just been reading into it, I haven't read the original prompt), but to me they also deviate from the class' "urban" theme, at least the archery does. Sure you can have archery in a city and even do it well, but its the exclusion of other fighting styles that really make it stand out. No unarmed combat style? No single weapon? Sword and board? The fact that it is limited to the ranger combat styles really limits this class' uniqueness, even if that's what it was originally based on.

Also, several of the class features refer to "the ranger", so those should be changed.

*EDIT* Even in pathfinder the ranger is no longer restricted to those fighting styles, and already comes with bonus feats for many different styles of fighting. I'd definitely try to incorporate some of those here.

Lohj
2012-06-24, 01:56 PM
I thought the class had a very Batman-y feel until I got to the fighting styles, which only consist of two-weapon fighting and archery. Nothing against those combat styles, but not only did they deviate from the Batman fluff (which I may have just been reading into it, I haven't read the original prompt), but to me they also deviate from the class' "urban" theme, at least the archery does. Sure you can have archery in a city and even do it well, but its the exclusion of other fighting styles that really make it stand out. No unarmed combat style? No single weapon? Sword and board? The fact that it is limited to the ranger combat styles really limits this class' uniqueness, even if that's what it was originally based on.

Also, several of the class features refer to "the ranger", so those should be changed.

*EDIT* Even in pathfinder the ranger is no longer restricted to those fighting styles, and already comes with bonus feats for many different styles of fighting. I'd definitely try to incorporate some of those here.

Yeah, no. Thank you for your comments. Working on a complete change with more 'hide in the shadows and trap/up front brawler'.
Wait for the update.

Lohj
2012-06-25, 01:00 PM
Updated. Working on final four features.

Diovid
2012-06-25, 01:45 PM
I absolutely love where this is going. Thanks a lot for doing this :smallsmile:

Wyntonian
2012-06-25, 10:24 PM
Honestly, I feel like you're taking something that could cover a broad and varied archetype and do it well, and then putting it in a batman-shaped straitjacket. I recommend you make it "Good and/or Lawful" as the alignment restriction.

Think Rorschach. He's even more of this class than Batman is, but I kinda doubt he qualifies as good. Lawful as all hell, but not good, despite his focus on killing only bad guys.

Also, this?

Mercy (EX): Keeping his target alive is important. A vigilante can choose to deal non-lethal damage with any weapon he is proficient with.

You can already do that. I'd suggest something that makes it work without the -4 penalty.

I am a Hero is a kinda sup-par name. Also, what if the bad guy happens to be good-aligned, but is still harmful to the people of the city?

Lohj
2012-06-25, 11:42 PM
Honestly, I feel like you're taking something that could cover a broad and varied archetype and do it well, and then putting it in a batman-shaped straitjacket. I recommend you make it "Good and/or Lawful" as the alignment restriction.

Think Rorschach. He's even more of this class than Batman is, but I kinda doubt he qualifies as good. Lawful as all hell, but not good, despite his focus on killing only bad guys.

Also, this?

You can already do that. I'd suggest something that makes it work without the -4 penalty.

I am a Hero is a kinda sup-par name. Also, what if the bad guy happens to be good-aligned, but is still harmful to the people of the city?

Hmm... You bring up a good point. Okay, How about I make it just lawful, and not evil? That just leaves LN and LG...
And, you're right. I am a Hero is kinda lame. Heh, 'tis why I have WIP in the title. :smallbiggrin:
I will replace the Mercy attack with a better descriptor. And add in something about 'interrogation'...

EDIT: Editted. Added in a photo. Changed some features. Added in one.
PEACH?

Lohj
2013-06-04, 11:25 PM
Alright, after a few months of ignoring this, I am done with it. I thank everyone who helped me out with this class.