PDA

View Full Version : Sanctum spell abuse - how/did I figure it right

ahenobarbi
2012-06-24, 11:23 AM
So I've been reading about Sanctum Spell abuse but I couldn't find how it works. So I have two questions:

- Does it involve Acorn of Far Travel?
- How would I use it to get 9th level spells early (only one I could think of is Sanctum Spell + Earth Spell + Shadowcraft mage)?

Keld Denar
2012-06-24, 12:59 PM
Acorn of Far Travel tricks generally involve the Magic of the Land feat, which is most notably utilized in War Weaver shananananananananananananigans. If you can specify your sanctum as "beneath X tree", then you could qualify as being in your sanctum.

For the most part, however, Sanctum Spell tricks involve early entry, which doesn't even require you to be in your sanctum. You just have to have one somewhere. Then you have the ability to cast spells of a level higher, even if you are not immediately able.

A few other Sanctum Spell tricks require you to NOT be in your sanctum. There are a few different magical aparatii that are limited to X level spells and below. Most notably, Spellstoring weapons, Spellstoring Ioun Stones, Metamagic Rods, and the War Weaver's Eldritch Tapestry ability. By casting a 4th level spell outside of your sanctum, it is effectively a 3rd level spell, and thus fits nicely under the umbrella of the Spellstoring weapon enchantment. That way you could stow away an Orb of Fire or something in a Spellstoring weapon which has more damage than a 3rd level option.

As far as ScM goes, yea, it works exactly like Heighten Spell. Its a bit more inconvenient than some other methods, however. You have to have your sanctum with you (ala Acorn of Far Travel), or be in your sanctum for it to work. A better feat to facilitate early access to 9th level spells would be a metamagic reducer like Arcane Thesis, Easy/Practical Metamagic, or Metamagic School Focus. Those would give you a free boost off the Heighten spells you already have without the bulky sanctum requirements.

ahenobarbi
2012-06-24, 03:27 PM
Thanks for clarification.