PDA

View Full Version : Gish Spells for Dex-based character

Yorae
2012-06-25, 11:35 AM
Hey playgrounders.

I'm working on helping out a buddy in our play group who is running a Bard/Sublime Chord Gish and I was looking around for some good spells to help them gish it up. Bite of the WereX seemed like a good choice, but they are a dex-based two-weapon fighter using weapon finesse, so strength isn't nearly as valuable to them as it might be.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Worth noting that they are adding damage to their many TWF attacks via Arcane Strike and Sneak Attack, picked up from Martial Stance(Assassin's Stance) and added to with Craven and Unseen Seer.

Psyren
2012-06-25, 11:55 AM
Blink/Greater Invisibility provide both great defense and a continuous source of sneak attack. You'll also want standard buffs like flight and damage reduction if you're in melee.

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-25, 12:00 PM
Bite of the Wererat does add +6 Dex, doesn't it?
I like Ferocity of Sanguine Rage in my gishes.

Yorae
2012-06-25, 12:53 PM
Bite of the Wererat does add +6 Dex, doesn't it?
I like Ferocity of Sanguine Rage in my gishes.

Ah, indeed it does.

Ferocity of Sanguine Rage is a great find - can't believe I didn't know it was there; it looks really great for TWF builds, since it's flat damage that applies on every hit.

Blink/Greater Invisibility provide both great defense and a continuous source of sneak attack. You'll also want standard buffs like flight and damage reduction if you're in melee.

They've got Cloak of Deception for some temporary Greater Invis, but probably a good idea to take it anyway. Also, I forgot the awesomeness that was Greater Blink.

Any recommendations for "standard buffs"? Not familiar with many buffs that grant DR, short of something like Shapechange. I know on my previous gishes I've taken Elemental Body late game for immunities + flight. They only begin to get wizard spells at 4th, due to sublime chord, but I suppose they can take lower level spells known for those levels anyway.

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-25, 01:09 PM
Stoneskin gets some DR, Ironskin probably does so but I can't really remember it.
Heart of Water is usually considered a must.

Bloodgruve
2012-06-25, 01:50 PM
Alter Self, if your base is an outsider you have a bunch of options for natural attacks from other forms, and good AC boosts also. Take advantage of the Inspire Courage on multiple attacks.

Storm Touch and Scalding Touch from Eberron give xd6 dmg on a bunch of attacks, which iirc can be delivered via a natural attacks.

Daggerspell Stance gives pluses if you wield daggers.

I think there is a flame whip spell that functions as a weapon.

Arcane Disciple feat with a domain that gives Divine Power if you can manage a wisdom 14 score.

Obviously Inspiration Boost also coupled with Badge of Valor, Song of the Heart and Words of Creation.

Blood~

eggs
2012-06-25, 02:47 PM
Flame Dagger is like Flame Blade for the Wizard (or Lyric Thaumaturge). It makes all attacks touch attacks, is a valid target for Persist, and is low-enough level that you should be able to find ways to quicken it without too much trouble. With something like Fell Drain or Born of Three Thunders, it can get really nasty.

Cloud of Knives is free action damage. If you have bonus damage sources like Sneak Attack, it can add up fast.

docnessuno
2012-06-25, 04:46 PM
I cannot believe noone mentioned Wraithstrike [SpC]
Seriously?

A_S00
2012-06-25, 05:14 PM
Since you're already taking Unseen Seer, picking up Hunter's Eye (Ranger spell from PHB2) with an Advanced Learning is a good idea. All the Heart of X spells are great (if you've got all four up, you become crit immune). If you use weapons that do bludgeoning damage (or can get them to count as doing bludgeoning damage), Greater Mighty Wallop is an excellent damage booster at high levels.

Talionis
2012-06-25, 06:53 PM
Greater Mirror Image and any Mirror Image spell is great for a Gish to take less damage.

watchwood
2012-06-25, 06:58 PM
Stoneskin and Resist Energy are both staples of mine

Andion Isurand
2012-06-26, 01:04 AM
If you are good aligned, Inner Beauty (Brd 4) is a good spell that grants a +4 sacred bonus to Dex and Cha... it can also be used against an evil creature, giving one a -4 penalty to Dex and Cha.

Nixie's Grace and Sirine's Grace are also nice buffs that help Dexterity and Charisma while also granting swim speed and water breathing, among other things.

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-26, 05:02 AM
I cannot believe noone mentioned Wraithstrike [SpC]
Seriously?

Someone mentioned Fell Drain Flame Dagger the post before yours. That's better than Wraithstrike any day of the week.

Knight13
2012-06-26, 08:51 AM
Pick up the Rogue Blade from Savage Species, a +2 rapier with a continuous Blink effect. Put a Lesser Truedeath Crystal from MIC on it to give it Ghost Touch. That'll negate the 20% miss chance you take from Blink, so now you have a continuous 50% miss chance and constant sneak attacks, all with no penalty.

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-26, 09:07 AM
I'm pretty sure Rogue Blade is updated in MIC to have limited duration blink.

only1doug
2012-06-26, 04:00 PM
Stoneskin gets some DR, Ironskin probably does so but I can't really remember it.
Heart of Water is usually considered a must.

I prefer Heart of Stone instead of Stoneskin, cheaper to cast, longer (useful) duration better effect / same effect, combines with Heart of Water to give lesser Fortification.

Roguenewb
2012-06-26, 04:18 PM
DRAGONFIRE INSPIRATION! How would you like piles of D6s per attack? How would you like bonuses to saves while you're at it? IT CAN ALL BE YOURS FOR THE LOW, LOW PRICE OF 3d4 NONLETHAL DAMAGE, ITS A STEAL!

I played a dude who at level 13 was capable of the following:

7 levels bard= IC +1
Inspirational Boost +1=2
Badge of Legends +1=3
Song of the Heart +1=4
The item that gives +5 bard level +1=5
Words of Creation x2= 10D6 FIRE DAMAGE

I believe that's all possible as early as level 6....

Fun fact, you can get a harmonizing weapon (It sings for you!), and start a normal Inspirie Courage +10 Attack and Damage, then have the sword take over, then start singing yourself and get +10d6 fire damage.

ROCK OUT!

In all seriousness, just use Song of the Heart, Inspirational Boost and Words of creation for +6, and have fun with it. Bonus points when you use whirling blade and or Snowflake Wardance in the build. Have fun!

Randomguy
2012-06-26, 04:23 PM
Elemental body is a great gish spell, if you're high enough level for it. It lasts all day and you get a stack of immunities. Cast the (air) version for flight all day at perfect maneuverability or the (fire) version for immunity to fire.

Primal instinct is a great spell, but it's sorcerer only. +5 to initiative (and survival. Meh.) for 24 hours. Since you'll only ever need to cast it once per day, get an eternal wand of it. See if you can get another party member to split the cost.

Critical strike is basically +1d6 sneak attack, and it's a swift action cast, but it only lasts one round. You can persist it, but it's probably not worth doing without a few reducers.

Greater magic weapon is always good, too.

only1doug
2012-06-26, 04:48 PM
bludgeoning weapon + greater mighty wallop

A_S00
2012-06-28, 02:13 AM
Someone mentioned Fell Drain Flame Dagger the post before yours. That's better than Wraithstrike any day of the week.
I'm confused...are you saying there are wizards who don't ban evocation?

Also, you know, replaces your real weapon, so you can't get any of those juicy weapon enhancements or put a Greater Mighty Wallop on it. And then there's the fact that gishes are usually too feat-starved to invest into metamagic that isn't Persist or maybe Quicken, so they probably miss out on the Fell Drain synergy anyway. And it does fire damage, which everything and your mom is immune to.

I think Wraithstrike is where it's at.

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-28, 08:34 AM
I'm confused...are you saying there are wizards who don't ban evocation?
I'm sure there are wizards who don't ban evocation (Contingency, Elven Generalist), but since we're talking about a Bard/Sublime Chord, I don't know why that would even matter.

Aeryr
2012-06-28, 08:47 AM
I tend not to ban evocation :smallwink: