PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Pr.C. for a Tactical Fighter

Kerilstrasz
2012-06-25, 11:59 AM
As i say on the tittle...
i rolled a Human Fighter... he is by Bio a Spartan... he plays with light Armor,Halfspear and shield... his feats at 3rd lvl are : WpnFocus(Hspear),Dodge,mobility,Spr.Att.,Comb.Expe rt.,Wrlw Attack(trained in game for this)..
his stats..
Str- 16
Dex- 14
Con- 12
Int- 13
Wis & Cha- 8
Alignment can be whatever except any Good or evil..
THe idea is to have him spread all over the battlefield, defending rest of the group as well as doing dmg by the right posisioning and actions (trip,disarm etc etc)...
now im searching for a Pr.C. to start workin that way... unfortunately i only found 2 for this purpose.. 1 is Tactical Soldier form miniatures Handbook and the other is Dread commando (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20050407b&page=6) which isnt exactly what i want... is there any other Pr.C. you can think of???

PS: Provide me a Name and a book plz according the above specifications.. thnx all

Hiro Protagonest
2012-06-25, 12:59 PM
...You're a tripper. Who doesn't have Improved Trip. Or Stand Still (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#standStill). Or a reach weapon. Or even begged the DM for Combat Patrol (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/combat-patrol-combat), which fits way better than spending three feats on Spring Attack, of all things.

Weapon: Guisarme

1. Combat Reflexes, Stand Still, Power Attack
2. Combat Expertise
3. Improved Trip

Get Combat Expertise/Improved Trip at 1st level if you want, and Stand Still and Power Attack at 2nd and 3rd level. Don't bother with disarming.

I know this isn't a PrC. You don't need a PrC. If you want, take two levels of Wolf Totem Barbarian (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wolfTotemClassFeatures ), so you get Rage, Whirling Frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ), or Ferocity (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) (which would give you extra AoOs), as well as Improved Trip without needing Combat Expertise or Int 13 (so you can put that 13 in Con).

The-Mage-King
2012-06-25, 01:13 PM
And then you might want some Warblade or Crusader levels. Because ToB > Fighter, excepting corner cases.

Crusader can do the "defend allies while setting stuff up" thing you want, and can do some healing as well.

Focus on White Raven and Devoted Spirit if you go with Crusader.

So basically, Fighter 3/Wolf Totem Barb 2/Crusader X, and you'll be fine and able to pull off the desired abilities.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-06-25, 01:25 PM
And then you might want some Warblade or Crusader levels. Because ToB > Fighter, excepting corner cases.

Crusader can do the "defend allies while setting stuff up" thing you want, and can do some healing as well.

So basically, Fighter 3/Wolf Totem Barb 2/Crusader X, and you'll be fine and able to pull off the desired abilities.

There's a reason I didn't suggest ToB. It's because if this character is viable in his group, ToB is going to steamroll everything. It's also the reason why I didn't suggest Zhentarim Soldier.

Togo
2012-06-25, 01:28 PM
How about Tactical Soldier, from minature's handbook.

I'm not saying it's a stellar class, but it certainly fits the concept.

The-Mage-King
2012-06-25, 01:37 PM
There's a reason I didn't suggest ToB. It's because if this character is viable in his group, ToB is going to steamroll everything. It's also the reason why I didn't suggest Zhentarim Soldier.

Fair point. It's still a suggestion, though, since he'd be getting Crusader stuff starting at level 6, which is when ToB starts getting weaker than magic. And he'd only have level 2 stuff, which is fairly decent but not overwhelmingly good.

Kerilstrasz
2012-06-25, 01:46 PM
Cant multyclass out of PhB1 ...
also...
plz just name some Pr.C.
im not looking for a tripper build or anything.. just some Pr. C. to think about

Tyndmyr
2012-06-25, 01:49 PM
Cant multyclass out of PhB1 ...
also...
plz just name some Pr.C.
im not looking for a tripper build or anything.. just some Pr. C. to think about

You might what to clarify what your restrictions are, and what you're looking for. Can you not select PrCs outside of core, or is it merely base classes you are limited on?

Additionally, your spelling/grammar could be much better, and I'd find it helpful to understand your post if you used it. Depending on browser, you may have some auto-correct features to help. :smallsmile:

Zonugal
2012-06-25, 01:50 PM
Hxolhpths, do you have access to Oriental Adventures?

There are some prestige classes in there that could be very exciting for your character.

Kerilstrasz
2012-06-25, 01:59 PM
You might what to clarify what your restrictions are, and what you're looking for.

OK.. lets see...
the stats and feats i allready have cant be changed.. i can change only alignment to any non good or non evil...
im restricted to Core PhB1 for everything except Prestige Class...
i can pick a Pr.C. from any Book... homebrews and psionics are out of reach.
i suppose if a Pr.C. has a req outside PhB1 (such as a feat) Dm may let me have it... but he would only allow feats that are required for the particular Pr.C.

Mari01
2012-06-25, 03:45 PM
OK.. lets see...
the stats and feats i allready have cant be changed.. i can change only alignment to any non good or non evil...
im restricted to Core PhB1 for everything except Prestige Class...
i can pick a Pr.C. from any Book... homebrews and psionics are out of reach.
i suppose if a Pr.C. has a req outside PhB1 (such as a feat) Dm may let me have it... but he would only allow feats that are required for the particular Pr.C.

A core fighter? I'm so sorry to hear you have to play with that. Maybe something from complete warrior could be of service. Also why did you shoot down all the tripping builds, when tripping was a part of what you wanted? You specifically called out both it and disarming.

Toliudar
2012-06-25, 04:11 PM
If you're restricted to core for choices other than PrC's, I'd look at taking a level of barbarian. Even if you can't get one of the niftier classes approved, the speed boost and 1/day rage will, in my opinion, be more useful than either of the prestige classes you've listed.

Kerilstrasz
2012-06-25, 04:11 PM
Also why did you shoot down all the tripping builds, when tripping was a part of what you wanted? You specifically called out both it and disarming.

I didnt let em out... i just didnt want those feets to start with... anyways... im thinking smthig like kensai 2/tactical soldier X .... anyhow...

Togo
2012-06-25, 08:15 PM
If you take improved initiative before 5th you could go occult slayer, and get into mage slaying business. It's got some interesting abilities involving readied actions.

There's also justicar, for which you'll need track (get from a level of ranger) and skill focus.

Both are in complete warrior.

There are very few manuoevre-based p-classes out there, I'm afraid. Such things are usually done through feat chains. I'd certainly check out the tactical feats in complete warrior, such as shock trooper, since they may do more of what you want to do.

Slipperychicken
2012-06-25, 10:18 PM
If you're two-handing without any further increase to Power Attack damage (since you're stuck in Core), and find a way to be Large, War Hulk (miniaures handbook) might be a nice way to increase base damage. Since it grants +2 Str every level instead of BAB, that will likely net you better damage returns than PA (+1.5 every level for 15 extra damage per hit, taking no attack roll penalty. With 10 BAB, although you could theoretically power attack for 20 damage, you will almost never power attack that much), as well as increasing attack bonus.

With these restrictions, you can get into Bloodstorm Blade (ToB pg100) by taking Martial Study and Martial Stance, to gain the prerequisite Iron Heart maneuver and stance. You could enter at level 6, then toss melee weapons (and pretty much anything else) at people and have them bounce back to you, and even use Power Attack with it. Basically, you're Captain America, only you'll probably end up throwing melee weapons instead of a shield. Don't forget that you can make any combat maneuver you want, since the throws are considered melee attacks (you can hurl your Greatsword to Disarm and/or Trip someone). If tripping someone from 100ft away isn't tactical, I don't know what is.

SowZ
2012-06-26, 12:39 AM

Why would anyone ever fighter three it would be like taking the fourth level of rogue and then moving on except you don't even get uncanny dodge and it wouldn't be more efficient for BAB, so why?

Tyndmyr
2012-06-26, 07:39 AM
Well, there's always Bear Warrior, if turning into a giant, angry bear is your thing.

Additionally, frenzied berzerker is particularly good(though IIRC, it requires some barbarian).

HunterColt22
2012-06-26, 08:38 AM
Dragon Magic has the Dragon Lord prestige which is specifically about doing damage and raising the morale of your troops/party via gaining auras on your character. Might be what you are looking for.

Gavinfoxx
2012-06-26, 10:52 PM
Uhhh....

Have your character go off to do something, and bring in a new character...

That one isnt really salvageable given your situation.

Consider this:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80415

That can be done with PHB/DMG only, or PHB/DMG/SRD, or PHB/DMG/SRD/CWar, etc. etc.

I made an example PHB/SRD tactical fighter based on that handbook, at level 5, for purposes like this thread:

http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=55074

Go take a look at that. And give him Fighter fluff. Nothing is stopping you from doing that, except you are now competant and tactical.

Flickerdart
2012-06-26, 10:58 PM
Why would anyone ever fighter three it would be like taking the fourth level of rogue and then moving on except you don't even get uncanny dodge and it wouldn't be more efficient for BAB, so why?
To take Fighter 4 at a strategic point in the build and snipe a bonus feat when you need it. That's the only reason I can think of for vanilla Fighter.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-06-27, 10:44 AM
I made an example PHB/SRD tactical fighter based on that handbook, at level 5, for purposes like this thread:

http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=55074

Go take a look at that. And give him Fighter fluff. Nothing is stopping you from doing that, except you are now competant and tactical.

*shakes head*

He said the PHBI. Not the SRD.

As a hard piece of advice, if you want to play a tactical tripper, you have Improved Trip or Stand Still by first level. And since you don't have access to Stand Still...

Gavinfoxx
2012-06-27, 11:45 AM
Well, it can *still work* with only PHB and DMG. It just works a little differently than the SRD-available option.

The PHB/DMG would be a Barbarian/Fighter/Ranger.

Rubik
2012-06-27, 03:12 PM
...You're a stripper.This is what I saw at first glance.

Also, 5 levels in war mind, (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/warMind.htm) followed by another manifesting PrC (such as the ghostbreaker from Hyperconscious, or the slayer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm).