PDA

View Full Version : High level/low epic adventures

Tyndmyr
2012-06-25, 12:34 PM
Aright, again I find myself in need of things to crib from. It looks like the official list of modules (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons_adventures) is pretty sparse toward the high end...and there's nothing at all that's going to be challenging even in early epic levels. The third party materials I know tend quite heavily toward low levels too...

So, where can I get some good material for high level/early epic D&D?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-06-25, 12:43 PM
There is Bastion of the Broken Souls, which according to wiki starts from level 18and goes up to level 20; but other than that I have nothing.

Tyndmyr
2012-06-25, 12:45 PM
There is Bastion of the Broken Souls, which according to wiki starts from level 18and goes up to level 20; but other than that I have nothing.

That does look like the most challenging of the stuff so far...that said, I find that experienced players generally chew through modules several levels before the designers think they can.

I've got the elder evil's book too, but frankly, most of those are a couple encounters tops, and you need to do significant setup earlier in the campaign, so using multiples is challenging.

Toliudar
2012-06-25, 12:48 PM
I've some first-hand experience with the Bastion. Because it's episodic and linear, it's (relatively speaking) a bit harder for a high-level group to break, but definitely can be handled several levels before the suggested spread, unless you adapt significantly.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-06-25, 12:51 PM
I think some of Paizo's (pre-PF) adventure paths extended up to level 30 so it might be worthwhile to check them for inspiration.

Urpriest
2012-06-25, 03:34 PM
If you've got access to old Dungeon magazines, the one that came out around when the ELH did has a low-epic adventure.

Alleran
2012-06-25, 10:04 PM
I think some of Paizo's (pre-PF) adventure paths extended up to level 30 so it might be worthwhile to check them for inspiration.
If you mean Dungeon adventures, I think there was only one - Quicksilver Hourglass. It's for level 30 characters, and is in Dungeon #123. The ending of the Savage Tide adventure path also has some possible plot hooks for further epic adventures.

animewatcha
2012-06-25, 10:21 PM
Why not try having the DnD dieties go renegade a bit? Epic level adventure to bring them back to their senses? I.E. Pelor no longer granting good/good-neutral clerics their spells, turn undead, etc. He goes back to being the Burning Hate.

Alleran
2012-06-25, 10:38 PM
Why not try having the DnD dieties go renegade a bit? Epic level adventure to bring them back to their senses? I.E. Pelor no longer granting good/good-neutral clerics their spells, turn undead, etc. He goes back to being the Burning Hate.
This seems to be implying that Pelor wasn't always Zarus with a beard. :smallwink:

animewatcha
2012-06-25, 10:40 PM
Sorry for not knowing who zarus is. I know recently ( past couple of days ) found some post containing the reason why Pelor was called it and can't seem to find it again to finish reading.

Alleran
2012-06-25, 10:49 PM
Sorry for not knowing who zarus is. I know recently ( past couple of days ) found some post containing the reason why Pelor was called it and can't seem to find it again to finish reading.
Try this (http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Pelor), and compare Zarus with Pelor (after noting The Burning Hate (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19558798/Pelor_the_Burning_Hate), so you have a proper background in the material). One of them just has a beard and a slightly more stylised symbol. :smallbiggrin:

Tamara_weret
2012-07-24, 12:26 PM
Aright, again I find myself in need of things to crib from. It looks like the official list of modules (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons_adventures) is pretty sparse toward the high end...and there's nothing at all that's going to be challenging even in early epic levels. The third party materials I know tend quite heavily toward low levels too...

So, where can I get some good material for high level/early epic D&D?

I have found several to me at least very good high level scenarios in the on- line magazine oerth journal
http://oerthjournal.blogspot.dk/p/oerth-journal-downloads.html
They have reach #26 and with 1 epic and 1 near epic group I am happy to be able to use things they have not seen before

Tamara_weret

Andorax
2012-07-24, 12:40 PM
According to my handy index of Dungeon adventures...

Quicksilver Hourglass (123) is L30
Dawn of a New Age (135) is L20, end of the second Adventure Path
Asylum (116) is L19, end of the first Adventure Path
The Lich Queen's Beloved (100) is L18, wraps up the Incursion (Dragon 309).
Root of Evil (122) is L18, giant tree appears to crush a major city
Gates of Oblivion (136) is L18, Shadow plane intrusion into Prime to crush it
Vlindarin's Vault (141) is L18, rescue a dragon from a beholder-ran storage vault.
Diplomacy (144) is L18, represent Elysium in a series of contract negotiations against other planar foes.

It's missing from my index, but I seem to recall the Razing of Redshore is also an L20 adventure specifically intended to bridge PCs from L20 into Epicness.