PDA

View Full Version : Hydra Rogue

imneuromancer
2012-06-25, 01:59 PM
OK, I somehow must have missed this idea despite years reading years of character optimization boards, but....

So why would an 8th level wizard NOT polymorph his rogue buddy into an 8-headed hydra so they can get 8 pretty-good-to-hit attacks, plus sneak attack on EVERY ONE OF THEM?

By 8th level, you are talking 8 x +11/1d10+6 damage. So for an 8th level rogue, that is an average of 204 points of damage/round (if all hits, probably more like 102/round).

Am I missing something why that would not work?

NeoSeraphi
2012-06-25, 02:08 PM
I believe the reason is because the polymorph spell pretty rarely comes up in actual gameplay. I have yet to see it used once at any of my tables, save once where I was the DM and I had the rakshasa villain use it after he dropped below half his hit points.

The polymorph spell is just kind of unfair, it's an unspoken gentleman's agreement rule that you don't actually cast it when you're playing a wizard.

Now, if there was a high-powered game going on (like, very very high-powered), and I was playing a wizard, I would probably shell out the gp and xp and craft the rogue a wand of polymorph with this exact idea in mind. Then the rogue could spend his own actions to transform himself and destroy people.

You're right, though. Rogues with 8+ natural attacks are pretty deadly.

Feralventas
2012-06-25, 02:18 PM
Hydras are big and while there are ways to hit a target with sneak attack when they know you're there, it's much easier for a humanoid rogue to sneak around and shoot/stab targets from stealth than it is for a Hydra-shaped one.

Then again, a Pixie Faerie in MM1 with rogue levels would also have Greater Invisibility to be used in combination.

Randomguy
2012-06-25, 02:29 PM
You are in fact missing something: If the rogue were to take improved unarmed strike or a level of monk or unarmed swordsage, he'd be able to hit and sneak attack not only with the heads but also with his normal iterative attacks.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-06-25, 02:47 PM
Because Polymorphing into a hydra is one of the most broken things in 3.5. The most powerful use of Polymorph I'd ever dream of is turning the rogue into a dragon, which is weaker since they have so much HD, but still really powerful (seriously. Turn them into a small-sized wyrmling. They now have great flight, good natural armor, two attacks at full BAB, and one attack at full BAB -5, or -2 if they take Multiattack).

eggs
2012-06-25, 02:53 PM
Am I missing something why that would not work?
Nope. It's one of the staple examples of how Polymorph completely changes the game.

Venusaur
2012-06-25, 03:55 PM
On the other hand, the wizard can polymorph himself, and share spells with his familiar. 2 hydras for the price of 1.

Sudain
2012-06-25, 04:45 PM
On the other hand, the wizard can polymorph himself, and share spells with his familiar. 2 hydras for the price of 1.

Nice...

I like the idea of 2 hydras for the price of one but I'd rather make the rogue a hydra. :) It may not make up for his gear, but he's also got the melee mindset where as I don't.

docnessuno
2012-06-25, 04:52 PM
So why would an 8th level wizard NOT polymorph his rogue buddy into an 8-headed hydra so they can get 8 pretty-good-to-hit attacks, plus sneak attack on EVERY ONE OF THEM?

Probably because said wizard's player wants to avoid having to face invisible hydra-polymorphed rogues later on (best case scenario) or a severe concussion after being hit by the DMG (worst case scenario)