PDA

View Full Version : The Equalist![3.5]

SoliaTera
2012-06-25, 02:28 PM
In a campaign im currently going to run i thought that it would be a good idea for a commoner rebellion against the monarchy that rules over them and i though who none other than Equalist be to used as the basics for these commoner folk so i was looking for theatrical build for not only the everyday Equalist but also there gear everything but the Mechatanks

Hiro Protagonest
2012-06-25, 03:28 PM
Er... I'm pretty sure commoners don't have the backing of Henry Ford... discarding the mechas, they have trucks, cars, airplanes, speedboats, shock gloves...

SoliaTera
2012-06-25, 03:30 PM
Well assuming they did(seeing as the whole community in on this) plus im rlly only speaking of the martial equipment such as shock gloves, smoke nades, kali sticks, meteor hammers

Hawkings
2012-06-25, 03:45 PM
I think the most notable thing about the equalists to me was how surprisingly organized they were for a rebel group of disgruntled citizens.

Either way they had massive backing from higher level characters and they themselves did little more than grunt work, so having a few NPCs with leadership feats or good ol' thrallherd would pull it off.

Just remember all of them didn't have shocking weapons and only some were chi blockers, the rest were just ordinary people who supported them.

Toss in an anti-magic sentiment and you've got equalist.

The shock gloves could be any kind of weapon with an enchantment to do electric damage or alter wands of shocking grasp into a nonmagic equivalent, also you can use smokesticks for smoke bombs.

Madara
2012-06-25, 03:54 PM
I think the most notable thing about the equalists to me was how surprisingly organized they were for a rebel group of disgruntled citizens.

Either way they had massive backing from higher level characters and they themselves did little more than grunt work, so having a few NPCs with leadership feats or good ol' thrallherd would pull it off.

Just remember all of them didn't have shocking weapons and only some were chi blockers, the rest were just ordinary people who supported them.

Toss in an anti-magic sentiment and you've got equalist.

The shock gloves could be any kind of weapon with an enchantment to do electric damage or alter wands of shocking grasp into a nonmagic equivalent, also you can use smokesticks for smoke bombs.

Tack on a spell that forces casters to make concentration checks, and it'll work.

SoliaTera
2012-06-25, 04:07 PM
How would they chi blocking work in dnd mechanics? and an anti-magic sentiment such as?

Hawkings
2012-06-25, 04:34 PM
The anti-magic movement could be supported by a technological revolution that's trying to replace it similar to the show or you could go the whole witch burning fear of any magic route, but that's not very equalistic.
Lacking that it could be the equalists are trying to over throw the tyrannical control of wizards who control them with magic, so arcane and divine magic is despised.

I don't know how chi blockers would work in D&D to stop casters.
The only thing I know that's similar is the gentle monk, a Naruto homebrew that you could tweak to be similar, but that's homebrew so use at your own risk.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Gentle_Monk_%283.5e_Prestige_Class%29

Arcanist
2012-06-25, 05:54 PM
How would they chi blocking work in dnd mechanics? and an anti-magic sentiment such as?

Pressure point attack and just use Celestial Dragon Strike to take away there spellcasting for 1d4 rounds. Its in Dragon Magazine issue #336. Its a monk exclusive feat so eh... I guess it could be hilarious in the idea that it will be a Sorcerer/Wizard Vs a band of Monks... and Amon who is an Enlightened Fist :smalltongue:

Hiroshi can be an Artificer Merchant Prince

Megatanks can be enchanted armor that shoots fireballs, has spell turning on it 24/7, shoots rays of distraction, provides the wearer with stoneskin, and other stuff.

Pyromancer999
2012-06-25, 06:57 PM
What is an Equalist?

Hiro Protagonest
2012-06-25, 07:08 PM
What is an Equalist?

A muggle rebel. Who hates magic (which is why I refuse to accept magic items as a replacement for their technological advantage).

Definitely not the standard rebel, so your experience with rebellion-stories has to be rather narrow to think they're the best example. I'd much rather go with the Auditore family and their various allies among the thieves, courtesans, and mercs, especially Mario's personal force of mercs.

Slipperychicken
2012-06-25, 07:31 PM
If you're fighting magic with tech, you might want to have a look at PF's gun rules.

Also, for an excellent ultimate mundane vs. caster weapon: IRON.. HEART... SUUUURGE!!!!

Arcanist
2012-06-25, 07:56 PM
A muggle rebel. Who hates magic (which is why I refuse to accept magic items as a replacement for their technological advantage).

This is a very bland and blunt definition of an Equalist. An Equalist is effectively a member of the Anti-Bending revolution which started in Republic city by a Mysterious Man known as Amon (now known as Noatok) whom possessed an equally mysterious power: The Ability to remove bending permanently, an ability long thought only to be possessed by the Avatar.

An Equalist is a follower of Amon whom whole heartily believes that bending (casting) is being abused by those in power. To translate this to D&D you can have non-casters believe that those in power are actually Wizard-Queens and Sorcerer-Kings that abuse there skill and knowledge of the Arcane to harass and belittle those not entitled to the art. The Equalist of the World of D&D would still use Magic however they would not abuse it in there own sense.

Definitely not the standard rebel, so your experience with rebellion-stories has to be rather narrow to think they're the best example. I'd much rather go with the Auditore family and their various allies among the thieves, courtesans, and mercs, especially Mario's personal force of mercs.

I prefer using the Black Rebellion (Yes, Code Geass) as a basis for a successful rebellion. (However this is actually a little weird because a successful rebellion would be recorded as a Revolution... Strange...)

To summarize, The Equalist do not hate magic, in fact they love magic, they just don't like people that abuse magic. :smallsmile:

Hiro Protagonest
2012-06-25, 08:01 PM
This is a very bland and blunt definition of an Equalist. An Equalist is effectively a member of the Anti-Bending revolution which started in Republic city by a Mysterious Man known as Amon (now known as Noatok) whom possessed an equally mysterious power: The Ability to remove bending permanently, an ability long thought only to be possessed by the Avatar.

An Equalist is a follower of Amon whom whole heartily believes that bending (casting) is being abused by those in power. To translate this to D&D you can have non-casters believe that those in power are actually Wizard-Queens and Sorcerer-Kings that abuse there skill and knowledge of the Arcane to harass and belittle those not entitled to the art. The Equalist of the World of D&D would still use Magic however they would not abuse it in there own sense.

To summarize, The Equalist do not hate magic, in fact they love magic, they just don't like people that abuse magic. :smallsmile:

...What? Where the hell is that stated? There's some non-bending rioters who dislike the people in charge, and one woman in the riot says "you're our avatar too", but the Equalists, the chi-blockers, pilots, drivers, and shock glove-users all think the world would be better off without bending.

Arcanist
2012-06-25, 08:07 PM
...What? Where the hell is that stated? There's some non-bending rioters who dislike the people in charge, and one woman in the riot says "you're our avatar too", but the Equalists, the chi-blockers, pilots, drivers, and shock glove-users all think the world would be better off without bending.

All is a very bold statement :smallconfused: There are hundreds of factors that would allow an Equalist to fight for equality and still believe that Bending can still do some good in the world.

Hawkings
2012-06-25, 09:08 PM
Wasn't that riot full of normal non bending citizens who weren't the equalist but were being pushed out of their houses and punished in an iron fisted attempt to handle the problem by lumping all non benders into the equalist definition?

Most of the hatred for benders wasn't caused by the people in charge but by the rampant corruption and crime average benders got away with.

How many of you knows a player who's first try at caster they picked charm person, then immediately attempted to swindle the first store clerk they met into giving them the shop for free.

It doesn't take high level reality altering magic to screw over people with no means of magical defense.
Further more in the equalists world they had little means of producing bender related technology similar to magic enchantments in D&D so they were stuck with only masterwork.
It doesn't have to be that way in your campaign but it does raise the question that if they're helpless because they have no magic who is enchanting their gear?

Waker
2012-06-25, 09:37 PM
There are rare examples of mundane classes that can make magic items, the best example would be the Runesmith from RoS. In PF there is also the Master Craftsmen feat.

Madara
2012-06-25, 10:18 PM
There are rare examples of mundane classes that can make magic items, the best example would be the Runesmith from RoS. In PF there is also the Master Craftsmen feat.

Runesmith uses magic, fyi.

Waker
2012-06-25, 10:23 PM
Runesmith uses magic, fyi.

Yeah, I meant Battlesmith. Lazy naming on the part of WotC, had to have two smiths as PrCs in the same book.

animewatcha
2012-06-25, 10:36 PM
So what you have the commoners and stuff be 'swordsages' and the benders be 'air duskblades' 'fire duskblades' etc. ?

Madara
2012-06-25, 10:36 PM
Yeah, I meant Battlesmith. Lazy naming on the part of WotC, had to have two smiths as PrCs in the same book.

Very true, it always confuses people
Its just a common name, I guess.
:smalltongue:

Arcanist
2012-06-25, 10:53 PM
So what you have the commoners and stuff be 'swordsages' and the benders be 'air duskblades' 'fire duskblades' etc. ?

I can't see why you can't use Unarmed Swordsage Arcane Variants :smalltongue: (They're not ACF so i guess it would basically be the birth of a new class... a Homebrewed class!) :smallamused:

animewatcha
2012-06-25, 11:04 PM
What do you guys think?

Airbender being dervish/duskblade ?
Fire being pyrokenetic/rogue ?
Earth being x/dwarven defender?
Water being ninja/monk ?

SoliaTera
2012-06-26, 11:38 AM
What do you guys think?

Airbender being dervish/duskblade ?
Fire being pyrokenetic/rogue ?
Earth being x/dwarven defender?
Water being ninja/monk ?

What would bloodbending be just wondering?

dascarletm
2012-06-26, 11:57 AM
I'm pretty sure if you google it, there are home-brewed bending classes. It would be pretty easy to make one as well.

have a straight up d6 "bend" attack that progresses with every other level

special abilities that you gain every so often

med BaB

I'd alos prestige class a blood bender and metal bender

Andorax
2012-06-26, 12:51 PM

I'm not familiar with the source material, but the description you provide makes it sound a lot like the relationship between Defilers and Preservers in the Dark Sun setting...where the Sorcerer Kings are *literally* destroying the world.

Flickerdart
2012-06-26, 12:51 PM
Benders would definitely be best modelled by the psionic classes. Bloodbending (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/controlBody.htm), shooting elements (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyRay.htm), waterbending-powered swimming (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/float.htm), pushing people with elements (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyPush.htm), healing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/bodyAdjustment.htm), airbending (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/controlAir.htm) and so forth. Then Amon could use Apopsi to remove bending (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/apopsi.htm), and the Avatar could use Psychic Chirurgery (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psychicChirurgery.htm) to restore it.