PDA

View Full Version : Help Creating a Campaign

OfStatic
2012-06-25, 03:58 PM
Hey everyone. This is one of my first posts on the forum and I am looking for some help with the homebrew campaign I am working on creating. I want to have multiple campaign arcs happening at the same time. Ideally I want these all to occur simultaneously, so that the PCs can't help but let some events happen.

I really want to include a fungal theme in this campaign, so I thought including a Cult to Zuggtmoy would be a good idea. I am not quite sure how to really implement this though, because a)who worships fungus? and b)I can't imagine too many adventures with a fungal theme.

I was thinking of running the free adventure The Burning Plague and modifying it so that the plague is actually caused by spores being placed in the water, rather than a poison. The ork would be receiving these spores from a druid who I would like to be a recurring villain. I also plan on a gas spore being involved the first time the PCs encounter the druid. I haven't decided if she is harvesting gas spores or not. I also considered a zombie outbreak, but rather than being undead the victims are actually being controlled by a fungus.

The presence of Zuggtmoy made me want to also include Juiblex who shares the 222 layer of the abyss with Zuggtmoy. The problem is that oozes and slimes may be even harder to incorporate into adventures and it seems even stranger to have a cult focused on slimes. I am not really sure where to go with the slime/ooze thing, but I have always had a soft spot for them.

To break away completely from those two ideas I was planning on incorporating Thoon Mindflayers into the campaign. The PCs start off gathering quintessence for someone and are unsure what it is. They slowly realize something is amiss and have an encounter with a Thoon Thrall and Infiltrator. These encounters escalate with either a PC containing quintessence or a prominent NPC. Perhaps even some slimes or fungi contain quintessence and the PCs bump into the worshippers of Thoon while on a completely separate adventure.

I would like 3 to 4 arcs occurring at once, so I would love any other ideas that you guys could provide. I would also love any help with embellishing on the ideas I previously posted.

Edit: I just realized that all these ideas could be set up so that they all eventually lead to the Underdark.

Aemoh87
2012-06-26, 04:02 AM
I really want to include a fungal theme in this campaign, so I thought including a Cult to Zuggtmoy would be a good idea. I am not quite sure how to really implement this though, because a)who worships fungus? and b)I can't imagine too many adventures with a fungal theme.

You know what you have to do... get a copy of Temple of Elemental Evil, which is a sinister ploy from Zuggtmoy to get people to worship fungus. I recommend reading the mod. then making the story your own keeping the key elements as well as ideas you liked. It's a great way to play a "classic" dungeon yet building your own campaign.

OfStatic
2012-06-27, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the advice! Now I haven't read either the AD&D nor the 3.0 version of the module, but I'll see if I know anyone with a copy. I knew Zuggtmoy was involved with the Temple of Elemental Evil, but I wasn't sure how directly involved. Are there many fungal elements to those modules?