PDA

View Full Version : Can Knowledge Devotion Strike Twice?

Palanan
2012-06-25, 08:13 PM
That is to say, can I use the same Knowledge check on the same target in two separate encounters?

One of the NPCs in my campaign is a rogue/warblade with Knowledge Devotion, and in our last game session he had a friendly fencing match with one of the PCs. The NPC rolled well on his Knowledge check and picked up a +3 bonus.

They'll probably fence again in our next session, which will be a day or two later in game terms. So, should I roll another Knowledge check, or keep the result from the previous match?

Vladislav
2012-06-25, 08:15 PM
RAW is quite clear on this:

Whenever you fight a creature, you can make a Knowledge check based on its type, as described on page 78 of the Player's Handbook, provided that you have at least one rank in the appropriate Knowledge skill. You then receive an insight bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls against that creature type for the remainder of the combat.

Bonuses don't carry over into a new combat. He will need to make a new check. Of course, as a DM, you always have the right to say the rules are bollocks and Rule 0 it away. If you want.

Palanan
2012-06-25, 08:31 PM
Okay, thanks. Most of the feat text seemed to dwell on distinctions of creature type, rather than individuals, but I must not have had my RAW-colored glasses on.

:smalltongue: