PDA

View Full Version : The Necrobound

Grimsage Matt
2012-06-25, 09:04 PM
Before I discovered Giant in the playground, I used alcarin. One of me first little undead monsters was the necrobound. Here's the moveover.

Created in horrible shadow, animated by pain of the living and dead, the necrobound is bound as firmily to the living, as the living are bound to the dead. A unstopable warrior and powerful necromancer, the Necrobound is the chain around the paladins neck, the touch of darkness before the clerics eyes, and the final sight to the damned.

Creating a Necro Bound:
"Necro Bound" is an aquired template that can be added to any humanoid or monstrous humanoid creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

Size and Type: The creature's type changes to Undead. Size is unchanged.

Hit Dice: All the base creature's Hit Dice (current and future) become d12s.

Armor Class; A Necrobound's natural armor class improves by 4+1/4 HD.

Special Qualities;

Fast Healing; The Necrobound gains Fast healing equal to 2+1/2 HD.

Regeneration; The Necrobound is immune to all damage execpt for the following; A Necrobound is affected normally by physical damage, but cannot be destroyed because of it.
The only way to destroy a Necrobound is to forge a weapon in a "Star" of the positive energy plane, then infused with the blood of a celestial creature with at least as many HD as the Necrobound. The Rgeneration is also negated on the Astral plane. If the Necrobound is on the positive energy plane, it's regeneration is supressed.

Supernatual Immunity; A Necrobound is only affected by Extraordinary effects. Spells, powers, SU, SP, Psionics, Psi-like abillities do not effect the Necrobound in any way. The Necrobound is affected normally by it;s own spells, supernatual effects and spell-like abillities. This abillity is supressed on the positive energy plane.

Deathly Chains; The Necrobound is connected to a pair of spiked chains that feed off the living. The Necrobound is profecint with the chains, and they deal 1d8 damage for every 3 HD of the Necrobound. They also unleash a Harm effect when they deal damage, half of which is targeted at the Necrobound.

Undead Traits; Normal undead traits.

Special Attacks: The creature gains the following special attacks:

Death Touch (Sp): A Necro Bound can make a Death Touch attack (as the Death domain's special ability) as a Cleric of its HD, 3/day.

Spell-like Abilities (Sp): Animate Dead 5/day, Create Undead 3/day, Create Greater Undead 1/day, as a Cleric of its HD. The undead are automatically under the control of the caster. The Necro Bound can control any number of undead created with this ability who's total HD do not exceed his own. This ability functions seperate from other undead controlling abilities: e.g. a level 10 Necro Bound Cleric could control 1 undead of 10 HD through this ability, plus another undead of 10 HD through Rebuke Undead (but not 1 undead of 20 HD).

Spells: The Necro Bound can cast spells as a Cleric (domains: Evil, Death) and as a Dread Necromancer of a level equal to its HD.

Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +6, Dex +6, Int +6, Cha +6. As undead, the Necro Bound has no Constitution score.

Alignment: Any evil.

Advancement: By character class.

Challenge Rating: +12

Level Adjustment: NPC only.

The Necrobound is intended to serve as a endgame level boss. Unless you do extensive research, this thing will do a Aboleth Savant on ya.

madock345
2012-06-26, 04:20 PM
How does the Necrobound react to magic that changes the area around it? I get that it won't take damage from my fireball, but will it take damage from the stuff I set on fire with my fireball?

I would let it controll more undead. Even Animate dead lets you controll 2XHD, and this is exactly the kind of pure evil horror that would emenate a permanent Desecrate effect.

A way to banish it to the Positive Energy plane would be useful (obviously) I could easily see an adventure set up like "we have to travel across the world to ancient libraries and hidden temples full of traps and guardians, to find the ritual that will kill this immortal thing" only when they fight their way through all the minions to do the ritual, it dosen't kill it, it conjurs it (and them) to the positive energy plane, then they have to kill it.

questions and barely relevent ploting aside, this is one cool creature, one of the better endgame undead I've seen.

Grimsage Matt
2012-06-26, 05:23 PM
How does the Necrobound react to magic that changes the area around it? I get that it won't take damage from my fireball, but will it take damage from the stuff I set on fire with my fireball?

I would let it controll more undead. Even Animate dead lets you controll 2XHD, and this is exactly the kind of pure evil horror that would emenate a permanent Desecrate effect.

A way to banish it to the Positive Energy plane would be useful (obviously) I could easily see an adventure set up like "we have to travel across the world to ancient libraries and hidden temples full of traps and guardians, to find the ritual that will kill this immortal thing" only when they fight their way through all the minions to do the ritual, it dosen't kill it, it conjurs it (and them) to the positive energy plane, then they have to kill it.

questions and barely relevent ploting aside, this is one cool creature, one of the better endgame undead I've seen.

Was wondering when someone was going to mention that. Ya, set the area around them on fire, they'll burn. The fireball was the magic part, the resulting forestfire? Nonmagical.

Ya, might add that. But don't forget, it can cast animate undead. And create undead. And create greater undead.

And ya, the banish part works. Kill this was never ment to be easy. It was ment to be a hard thing, a epic fight aginst something that just won't die.

And thx for the compliment.