PDA

View Full Version : O Buddy Roy -- Cover

IainGabriel
2012-06-25, 09:07 PM
Hey, all! I'm a longtime lurker and fan (I've been following the comic since the tail-end of the Dorukan arc).

I recently happened upon a new computer microphone. Spurred on by a heart overflowing with song and the desire to be recognized by people on the internet, I recorded a cover of 'O Buddy Roy.'

I am not operatically trained, like the legendary pengdahl (check out his cover). Instead, I tried to bring a slightly higher voice to the table.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KScF6oMKm4M&feature=youtu.be

It's a pleasure to finally have something to contribute to these forums. Rich, your comic is my favorite on the 'net!

Forikroder
2012-06-25, 09:11 PM
im going to have to read all of elans lines in your voice now >: (

IainGabriel
2012-06-26, 08:14 PM
im going to have to read all of elans lines in your voice now >: (

Thank you? I think that's good.

Loki_42
2012-07-14, 07:03 PM
It says the video was removed.

TaiLiu
2012-07-14, 11:46 PM
It says the video was removed.

Aye, same here.

...Did you get permission to use the song?

FujinAkari
2012-07-15, 06:12 AM
Aye, same here.

...Did you get permission to use the song?

Naah, it says the video was removed by the user... so he apparently took it down? O.o

factotum
2012-07-15, 12:28 PM
He's only ever made 3 posts, 2 of which are in this thread...maybe he was disappointed at the limited reaction to his song?

IainGabriel
2012-07-15, 01:02 PM
It was both, actually. There wasn't much reaction, and then a friend told me about permission/intellectual property stuff, so I was worried.

Vahir
2012-07-18, 06:43 PM
It was both, actually. There wasn't much reaction, and then a friend told me about permission/intellectual property stuff, so I was worried.

I'm not an expert, but just posting your take on a song isn't a breach of IP. It's like if you film a scene from a movie with your friends and post it online. Even if you did post something copyright, the worst thing that could happen would be for the video to be removed, and even that would require the Giant to ask for that.

Quarion Nailo
2012-07-18, 09:04 PM
I know you're aware of The OotS Soundtrack Project (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231882): I'd love to put your song up under your name, if you decide to reupload it.

Morph Bark
2012-07-23, 04:07 PM
I'm not an expert, but just posting your take on a song isn't a breach of IP. It's like if you film a scene from a movie with your friends and post it online. Even if you did post something copyright, the worst thing that could happen would be for the video to be removed, and even that would require the Giant to ask for that.

AFAIK, this is true. This is why covers of songs exist by artists and amateurs not affiliated in any way by the original creators, singers or their record label company.

Parody falls under similar rules.