PDA

View Full Version : Erinyes, The Furies {{WIP Please Critique}}

ngilop
2012-06-25, 10:39 PM
Hello everybody!, i have ever so disliked the way that D&D has dealt with Erinyes, Maybe its becuase i disliek having succubus 2.0 cuz LE demons needs a hooker demon too, or maybe its bcuase i do so love Greek and to a lesser extent roman mythology so much. either way ive up till right now just said ' yeah erinyes are not evil but all of their stats are identicle just forgt all the evil focused stuff' now I am actually trying to put together a real life Erinyes to paper. so Here is my alpha attempt at that, please lay down some suggestions and ofer up little tidbits that you feel fit teh true Erinyes.

The Furies (Erinyes)
(ART! Erinyes 100% of the credit goes to Genzoman (http://genzoman.deviantart.com/art/Erinyes-204871958) )
Size/Type: Medium Outsider ( Extraplanar)

Hit Dice: 9d8+45 (85 hp)

Initiative: +7

Speed: 60 ft. (6 squares), fly 80 ft. (good)

Armor Class: 27 (+8 Dex, +8 natural, +1 dodge), touch 19, flat-footed 18

Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+14

Attack: +1 Bane Longsword +16 melee (1d8+6/19-20 plus 2d6 dmg) or +1 Bane composite (+5 STR bonus) longbow +19 ranged (1d8+6/×3 plus 2d6 dmg) Claw +15 (1d8+5 plus Awaken Sin)

Full Attack: +1 Bane Longsword +15/+15/+10 melee (1d8+5/19-20 plus 2d6 dmg ) or +1 Bane composite longbow (+5 Str bonus) +19/19/+10 ranged (1d8+6/×3 plus 2d6 dmg) Claw +15/+15/ (1d8+5 plus Awaken Sin)

Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.

Special Attacks: Haste, spell-like abilities, snake-hair

Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/-, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to disease, fire, petrification, and poison, resistance to acid 30, electricity 30 and cold 30, see in darkness, spell resistance 24, telepathy 100 ft., true seeing, Evasion, Mettle

Saves: Fort +11, Ref +14, Will +12

Abilities: Str 20, Dex 27, Con 21, Int 14, Wis 18, Cha 21

Feats Eyes in the Back of your Head (PH2), Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Combat Reflexes, DodgeB, MobilityB,

Skills Concentration +17, Diplomacy +7, Escape Artist +17, Hide +17, Knowledge (any two) +14, Listen +16, Move Silently +17, Search +14, Sense Motive +16, Spot +16, Survival +4 (+6 following tracks),
Languages Celestial, Common, Abyssal, Infernal; telepathy 100 ft.

Challenge Rating: 9

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Haste {Su}:
Erinyes are purpetually under the effects of a haste spell, a dispel or greater dispel magic supresses this effect for 3 rounds, while a disjunction supresses it for 1 round per 2 caster levels.

Snake-Hair {Ex}
Erinyes have several snakes instead of hair and any opponent successfull attacked in melee by the Erinyes suffers an attack form the snakes, these snakes attack at the Erinyes BaB (+9) as a melee touch attack dealing 1d2 damage and must make a successful Will save (DC 20) or be affected by an affect identicle to the touch of madness (Complete Divine) spell. CL 5 The save is charisma-based.

Evasion {Ex} If am Erinyes makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage.

Mettle {Ex}: If an Erinyes makes a successful Fortitue or Will saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage or a lesser efect on a successful save, she instead takes no damage or suffers no detrimental effect from the spell.

See in Darkness {Su}: Erinyes can see perfectly in darkness of any kind, even that created by a deeper darkness spell.

Spell-Like Abilities:
At will—greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), charm monster (DC 19), minor image (DC 17), Judgement (DC 19). Caster level 12th

3 times per day—greater dispel magic (DC 17) Insanity (DC 17)

Judgement functions as Holy Smite except as noted here The spell deals 1d8 points of damage per caster level to each evil creature in the area and causes it to become dazed for 1 round. 1d6 points of damage per caster level to each neutral creature in the area and causes it to become dazed for 1 round. 1d8 points of damage per two caster levels to each good creature in the area and causes it to become dazed for 1 round. A successful Will saving throw reduces damage to half and negates the dazed effect.

any creature successfully hit by an Erinyes Claw attacks suffers from a modified awaken sin spell(SpC) cast at 5th level ( 5d6 non lethal damage). unlike normal this version does not have the ability to stun.

Any weapon weilded by the Erinyes is considered to have the Bane weapon property against what ever target is bieng attacked.

The Tribunal
The Tribunal is an ancient court, of sorts, composed of 7 unique Erinyes. They are grimley dedicated to justice, however these Erinyes are methodical and just in their actions, The tribunal oddly enough for such an organization, have no enemies, most fear retribution at the hands of their gods, masters, or other Erinyes themselves too much to stand against them. The members who make up the tribunal have been at their positions for at least 10,000 years.

Accalia (LG) 13th level Paladin, known for her even greater beauty (Cha 38)
Bellona (LG) 2nd level paladin 5th level cleric 5th level ordained champion, is very hot headed and stubborn lucky though Phaedra is able to channel her zealousness in a more constructive direction. her position as the youngest memeber of the Tribunal in no way leads to any prejudices from the other members, they know that with time she will mellow out.
Elissa (LN) 4th level fighter 3rd level cleric 5th level pious templar, Is very slow to take action but does so with rock hard determination
Maia (CG) 16th level cleric, extremely wise (Wis 36) The 'leader' of the Tribunal.
Phaedra (NG) 10th level cleric 8th level Divine Oracle, the oldest of the tribunal members and is something of a mother hen, especially to Bellona
Polyzena (NG) 12th level sorceress
Valecia (CG) 2nd level rogue 4th level cleric 6th level shadowbane stalker, a bit more mysterious than the others held in high regards by all erinyes kind as she was the first to actively puruse the more subtle arts and proved them wortht of carrying out vengeace in crimes that went unpunished by other means.

Debihuman
2012-06-26, 08:46 PM
Nifty but it needs a little work. First, you should really cite to the books since much of the material here is not open content. For example, awaken sin is a spell from the Spell Compendium and Martial Maneuvers are from Tome of Battle.

Your Full Attack lines need some work. A creature can never make iterative attacks on natural weapons.

Also, your bane longsword needs a foe descriptor (type and subtype).
A +1 Humanoid (human) bane longsword for example.

Your attack line is right but your creature has BAB of +9 so it can make 2 attacks with its manufactured weapons as a full attack plus the extra attack at full BAB from haste. Natural weapons never get iterative attacks in full attacks (they don't suddenly grow extra limbs) and haste doesn't affect natural weapons only held weapons.

Here is how it really should look:

Attack: +1 X-bane longsword* +16 melee (1d8+6/19-20 plus 2d6 ) or +1 x-Bane composite longbow (+ 5 Str bonus)** +19 ranged (1d8+6/×3 plus 2d6) or claw +15 (1d8+5 plus 5d6 nonlethal)***

* Bane requires it to have a Type and Subtype. I put an X where you should fill in the designation.
**Normally you put bane on the arrows so you can swap them out.
***Awaken Sin should be listed in its own text rather than added to Spell-Like Abilities.

Awaken Sin (Sp): Any creature successfully hit by an erinyes' claw attack suffers from a modified awaken sin spell Spell Compendium cast at 5th level. The target takes 5d6 points of nonlethal damage. Unlike normal, this version does not have the ability to stun.

Full Attack: +1 X-bane longsword +16/+16/+11 melee (1d8+6/19-20 plus 2d6 ) or +1 Bane composite longbow (+5 Str bonus) +19/+19/+14 ranged (1d8+6/×3 plus 2d6) or 2 claws +15 melee (1d8+5 plus 5d6 nonlethal[/I])

The creature doesn't qualify for adaptive style feat since it doesn't have the prerequisites. You've already given it 2 bonus feats. If you need to give a creature 3 bonus feats, its a clue that you need to add another HD.

An erinyes is able to perform martial maneuvers as a 9th level warblade from the Devoted Spirit, Diamond Mind, Iron Heart, and Tiger Claw disciplines.

I don't use Tome of Battle, so I really can't comment on this.

Debby

Jarian
2012-06-26, 08:56 PM
In addition to what Debihuman mentioned, the ToB reference is a touch off. You don't mention what maneuvers a typical Erinyes knows, and if you intended them to know all of them, the current wording doesn't work either. You should specify one way or another.

I don't think giving a creature the full power of a 9th-level PC class in addition to everything they have here is really what one would consider a standard CR 9. A Warblade 9 should be a CR 9 encounter, while this is essentially a Warblade 9 with permanent Haste, Evasion and Mettle, poison-hair, and claw attacks that deal an additional 5d6 nonlethal damage, plus teleporting and defensive spells at CL 12th. Imo, this is more like a CR 10-11, going by the usual way things are determined.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-06-26, 09:05 PM
So... being an attractive outsider automatically makes you a hooker? Try telling that to the Eladrin and angels.

ngilop
2012-06-26, 11:43 PM
first of let me justs ay

thanks for totaly tiwsting my words to suit your own purposes Jade Dragon, I appreciate is to a great amount.

But then a thought struck me, maybe you just do not actually know the difference between what the succubus and the D&D version of Erinyes represents so allow me to expand your knowledge base.

Wikipedia Succubus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Succubus)

Dictionary.com Succubus (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/succubus)

Monster pedia Succubus (http://www.monstropedia.org/index.php?title=Succubus)

and in reards to Jarian and the perhaps wrong CR for this Erinyes. while I have ran it up against a living breahting party cosisting of different players. my own internal tesst is pretty spot on, a party fo 11th character kills an erinyes in 1 round, or even sooner if more than 1 wins initiative.

while 4 9th level character put up a decent fight and while it is not the whole 25% of resources used. They have yet to have any deaths and normally spent about 1/6 of thi resources to bring down an Erinyes. While she might be almost certain death for a single 9th level character, a party fo 4 is just too powerful for her to over come.

Debi, thanks for the whole thing about haste not givign extra natural attacks, though that kind of bums me out a bit :( will fine tune my erinyes with both of your inputs!

Mystic Muse
2012-06-27, 12:42 AM
Interesting. Personally, I always saw D&D Erinyes as fallen angels as opposed to a LE Succubus.

Jarian is right that this monster is not CR 9 by the rules. Moving on.

DR 15/- doesn't seem particularly appropriate. Even golems only have DR/Adamantine. Heck, the Tarrasque doesn't even have damage reduction that can't be bypassed.

Also, you should be a little more clear about what your goal is. I've looked at Wikipedia, and it doesn't tell me much of anything, certainly not what the monster is doing with perpetual haste, 9 levels of Warblade, Damage reduction that can't be bypassed, or Evasion and Mettle.

ngilop
2012-06-27, 12:59 AM
I thought i satted my goal in the original post about gettign away forkmt his crappy LE version of a succubus and back to the whole originating greek and roman version of erinyes

THE ERINYES were three netherworld goddesses who avenged crimes against the natural order. They were particularly concerned with homicide, unfilial conduct, crimes against the gods, and perjury. A victim seeking justice could call down the curse of the Erinyes upon the criminal. The most powerful of these was the curse of the parent upon the child--for the Erinyes were born of just such a crime, being sprung from the blood of Uranus, when he was castrated by his son Kronos.

The wrath of the Erinyes manifested itself in a number of ways. The most severe of these was the tormenting madness inflicted upon a patricide or matricide. Murderers might suffer illness or disease; and a nation harbouring such a criminal, could suffer dearth, and with it hunger and disease. The wrath of the Erinyes could only be placated with the rite ritual purification and the completion of some task assigned for atonement.

The goddesses were also servants of Hades and Persephone in the underworld where they oversaw the torture of criminals consigned to the Dungeons of the Damned.

The Erinyes were similar to if not the same as the Poinai (Retaliations), Arai (Curses), Praxidikai (Exacters of Justice) and Maniai (Madnesses).

They were depicted as ugly, winged women with hair, arms and waists entwined with poisonous serpents. They wielded whips and were clothed either in the long black robes of mourners, or the short-length skirts and boots of huntress- maidens.

actually this is a bit wrong as there were several erinyes but only 3 were ever named as far as i know.

Mystic Muse
2012-06-27, 01:10 AM
I thought i satted my goal in the original post about gettign away forkmt his crappy LE version of a succubus and back to the whole originating greek and roman version of erinyes You did. I was just defending a monster I like. I was also saying that your goal could have been clearer because just saying "I want to make it more like the Erinyes from Greek mythology" doesn't tell somebody much unless they know exactly what you're talking about. Now as for myself, I knew only what I could find on Wikipedia, and that wasn't much.

THE ERINYES were three netherworld goddesses who avenged crimes against the natural order. They were particularly concerned with homicide, unfilial conduct, crimes against the gods, and perjury. A victim seeking justice could call down the curse of the Erinyes upon the criminal. The most powerful of these was the curse of the parent upon the child--for the Erinyes were born of just such a crime, being sprung from the blood of Uranus, when he was castrated by his son Kronos.

The wrath of the Erinyes manifested itself in a number of ways. The most severe of these was the tormenting madness inflicted upon a patricide or matricide. Murderers might suffer illness or disease; and a nation harbouring such a criminal, could suffer dearth, and with it hunger and disease. The wrath of the Erinyes could only be placated with the rite ritual purification and the completion of some task assigned for atonement.

The goddesses were also servants of Hades and Persephone in the underworld where they oversaw the torture of criminals consigned to the Dungeons of the Damned.

The Erinyes were similar to if not the same as the Poinai (Retaliations), Arai (Curses), Praxidikai (Exacters of Justice) and Maniai (Madnesses).

They were depicted as ugly, winged women with hair, arms and waists entwined with poisonous serpents. They wielded whips and were clothed either in the long black robes of mourners, or the short-length skirts and boots of huntress- maidens. Now, this is much more useful. I suggest putting this in the opening post, because having the information for what you want to replicate right there will get a lot more people to participate.

Forcing people to find their own information on something turns them off a lot, even if it's an inconvenience at worst to find it. Personally, I suck at Google-fu, and Wikipedia was my only real resource, and it told me very very little.

What Alignment do the Erinyes (Greek version, not D&D version) Strike you as? Pretty much every monster listing has some sort of alignment listing for what they generally are.

From that description you posted, I suggest giving them Contagion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/contagion.htm) as an SLA.

A fear aura would make sense too, as they're apparently pretty hideous.

As for the abilities, I still don't see much reason for some of the stuff you've given them, at least based on that description you posted. I'd give them a different form of damage reduction at the very least.

Theroc
2012-06-27, 03:38 AM
thanks for totaly tiwsting my words to suit your own purposes Jade Dragon, I appreciate is to a great amount.

He twisted nothing.

Maybe its becuase i disliek having succubus 2.0 cuz LE demons needs a hooker demon too,

You stated directly in your opening that you feel an Erinyes is a Succubus 2.0 Hooker 'demon'.

No twisting necessary.

Anyhow, all the fluff on the existing D&D Erinyes is a Fallen Angel motif much moreso than, "Succubus 2.0"

Now, the Succubus 2.0 in D&D for Devils is the Pleasure devil, which is the Brachina(Fiendish Codex II), which *does* come from Erinyes, they're still separate.

As far as getting closer to Greek mythos. I can get behind that. Good luck and I'll be watching this. I know too little of an Erinyes as-is to give any useful advice, though I wish you the best of luck with it.

Debihuman
2012-06-27, 11:09 AM
I think you missed the mark with what you want to do with this creature. If you seriously want the erinyes to be more like their Greek origins, they need a little tweaking. If you don't mind, I took your ideas and modified them a bit. Also, I erred in my earlier assessment of bane arrow as the bow should be bane and it confers that ability on its ammunition.

Here is a madness-inducing erinyes that targets humans who have wronged their families.

Erinyes (The Furies)
Medium Outsider (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 9d8+45 (85 hp)
Initiative: +8
Armor Class: 27 (+8 Dex, +8 natural, +1 dodge), touch 19, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+14
Attack: +1 Humanoid (human)-bane longsword +16 melee (1d8+6/19-20 plus 2d6 to humans) or +1 Humanoid (human)-bane composite longbow (+5 Str bonus) +19 ranged (1d8+6/×3 plus 2d6 to humans) or claw +15 (1d8+5 plus awaken sin)
Full Attack: +1 Humanoid (human)-bane longsword +16/+16/+11 melee (1d8+5/19-20 plus 2d6 to humans) or +1 Humanoid (human)-bane composite longbow (+5 Str bonus) +19/19/+14 ranged (1d8+6/×3 plus 21d6 to humans) or 2 claws +15 melee (1d8+5 plus awaken sin) and snake hair +13 melee (1d2 plus touch of madness)
Special Attacks: Haste, snake hair, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Awaken sin, damage reduction 5/good and evil, darkvision 60 ft., evasion, immunity to disease and poison, mettle, resistance to acid 10 and cold 10, see in darkness, telepathy 100 ft., true seeing
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +14, Will +10
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 27, Con 21, Int 14, Wis 18, Cha 21
Feats: DodgeB, Flyby Attack, MobilityB, Multiattack, Point Blank Shot
Skills: Concentration +17, Diplomacy +7, Escape Artist +17, Hide +17, Knowledge (any two) +14, Listen +16, Move Silently +17, Search +14, Sense Motive +16, Spot +16, Survival +4 (+6 following tracks),
Environment: Gray Wastes of Hades
Organization: Solitary, Pair, or Trio
Challenge Rating: 10
Treasure: Standard plus +1 Humanoid (human)-bane longsword and +1 Humanoid (human)-bane composite bow (+5 Str bonus)
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: 10-18 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: +7

Erinyes appear as attractive bat-winged human women with snakes for hair and sharp claws. They speak Abyssal, Celestial, Common, and Infernal, although they can communicate with any other creature who has a language with their telepathy.

COMBAT

Erinyes always attack a human target that has wronged his or her family first.

Awaken Sin (Sp): Any creature successfully hit by an erinyes' claw attack suffers from a modified awaken sin spell Spell Compendium cast at 5th level. The target takes 5d6 points of nonlethal damage. Unlike normal, this version does not have the ability to stun. A successful Will save (DC 20) negates this damage. The save is charisma-based.

Evasion (Ex): If an erinyes makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage.

Haste (Su): Erinyes are perpetually under the effects of a haste spell, a dispel magic or greater dispel magic suppresses this effect for 3 rounds, while a disjunction suppresses it for 1 round per 2 caster levels. A hasted creature gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls and a +1 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex saves. Any condition that makes her lose her Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) also makes her lose dodge bonuses.

Mettle (Ex): If an erinyes makes a successful Fortitude or Will saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage or a lesser effect on a successful save, she instead takes no damage or suffers no detrimental effect from the spell.

See in Darkness (Su): Erinyes can see perfectly in darkness of any kind, even that created by a deeper darkness spell.

Snake Hair (Ex and Sp): Instead of hair, several Tiny snakes writhe on an erinyes’ head. If the snakes successfully bite a target, the target takes 1d2 points of damage and must make a successful Will save (DC 17) or be affected by touch of madness Complete Divine as the spell. CL 5 The save is charisma-based.

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): At will—greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), charm monster (DC 19), minor image (DC 17), 3/day—greater dispel magic (DC 20); 1/day—insanity (DC 21) CL 12.

True Seeing (Su): Erinyes continuously use true seeing, as the spell (caster level 14th).

VARIANT ERINYES: The above erinyes have humans as their preferred target, but there could be alternate versions of erinyes that target any number of creatures by using different bane weapons. For example, you could have a hyena-faced erinyes that wields a +1 Monstrous Humanoid-bane flail and who targets gnolls or a bull-head one who wields a +1 Monstrous Humanoid-bane glaive and targets minotaurs. You could have erinyes that seem to have features of any creature and wield any of the 31 different type of bane weapons (see bane weapon chart here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm. The weapon used would be the same weapon that a typical member of that race knows, or just a variant longsword if the creature they fight has no typical weapon (such as Oozes, Vermin or Constructs).
Debby

P.S. I updated this to give her feats that are more appropriate for flying and changed initiative and Will saves. If I missed anything please let me know.

ngilop
2012-06-27, 03:13 PM
He twisted nothing.

You stated directly in your opening that you feel an Erinyes is a Succubus 2.0 Hooker 'demon'.

No twisting necessary.

Except that of coruse I never said anything about all high charisma outsiders are hookers.

and WHile I want them to be more true to their greek origins, I relaized early on that just won't work, as there are races beyond humans, such a gnolls, elementals, various outsiders etc

So focusing on Humans aloen when the Erinyes is supposed to represent swift justice is just not going to cut it, just how like giving the greek gods CG alignments amke no sense as zeus raping women as a swan or shower of gold is well.. the opposite of evil.

To me, The erinyes as the source of avenged justice (justice after it was denied by mortal wasy that is) are above alignemnts and solely focusing on just humans when there are evles, dwarves, kobolds, kenku and thousands upon thousands of just humanoid races

WHile they reserved the worse of punishments for familiar crimes ( especially parent against child) it was not their sole focus.

Remmber I want this to fit in a as close to generic D&D setting as one cna get so solefly focusing on just avenging family crimes that humans perpetuate is losing out on what the Erinyes yes OUTside of just a pure greek mythos world should be all about. and Glancing at the beastly girl again, I guess that warblades-ness is a bit out of hand. I was trying to get somethnig that would strike fear into the hearts of most charatcer if they knew that an Erinyes was after them, rember those great and mighty greek heroes who were capalbe to using a ship's mast as a club, or sundering a mountain, and other such tremednous acts were frightened of the Erinyes, even the gods themselves.

Debihuman
2012-06-27, 06:07 PM
Think of Erinyes as if they have a favored enemy Humans. That doesn't mean that they aren't taking their vengeance out on other creatures, just humans more so. Their weapons favor humans, but other creatures can be hit by them too. They just do more damage to humans. I've also corrected the weapons to show that the extra damage affects humans only.

Debby

ngilop
2012-06-27, 09:10 PM
I do not understand your position of favored 'sinner's of humans in the D&D universe in regards to Erinyes.
thy are not the sole race capable to doing evil and needing justice to be metted out to them, to create a race whos sole purpose is to kill humans is rediculous in my eyes, again if this was a Greek mythos based setting where all youhad were humans and beast monsters that would make perfect sense. but alas D&D generic has a vast amount of races that can perform wrongdoings that are needed to be sought out after creatures that seek justice against crimes.

Debihuman
2012-06-27, 10:33 PM
I do not understand your position of favored 'sinner's of humans in the D&D universe in regards to Erinyes.
thry are not the sole race capable to doing evil and needing justice to be meted out to them, to create a race whose sole purpose is to kill humans is ridiculous in my eyes, again if this was a Greek mythos based setting where all youhad were humans and beast monsters that would make perfect sense. but alas D&D generic has a vast amount of races that can perform wrongdoings that are needed to be sought out after creatures that seek justice against crimes.

First, I never said that humans were the sole race capable of doing evil and needed justice meted out to them. These erinyes are based on traditional Greek myth, which is human-centric.

In the varied worlds of D&D, you can simply take the erinyes and change the fluff to have them able to be harbingers of vengeance for any race. For example, you could have hyena-faced erinyes who target gnolls and wield Monstrous Humanoid-bane fails in the name of Yeenoghu.

There are 31 designated foes for bane weapons so you can swap out the ones given for any of those. There are a myriad of weapons so you can switch those around as well. Which weapons the erinyes use could be based on the deity they serve and could change which Plane of Existence they hail from. Nevertheless, these changes are mostly cosmetic.

One of the things I love about D&D is how customizable it is. If you want a traditional erinyes you can make. If you don't like it, you can make something else. However, my major concern was having a creature that at least isn't grossly overpowered for the CR. I still might not have scaled it down enough.

Debby

ngilop
2012-06-27, 10:50 PM
wouldn't it just be a lot easier isntead of having to create millions of different 'species' of erinyes to just make any weapon the weild be bane agaisnt what ever race they are chasing down for whatever particular crime they are visiting judgement upon?

Debihuman
2012-06-27, 11:07 PM
wouldn't it just be a lot easier instead of having to create millions of different 'species' of erinyes to just make any weapon the wield be bane against what ever race they are chasing down for whatever particular crime they are visiting judgement upon?

Certainly that's an option. However, bane weapons are supposed to be specific so how do you give a single erinyes access to 31 different weapons without having a stash of weapons or without it being a Deus Ex Machina?
Rolling on the chart could randomize it but a 1 in 31 chance doesn't give great odds. Of those choices (and I'm sure there are other choices that I haven't considered) , I'd just go for the Deus Ex Machina: the erinyes that shows up just has the appropriate weapon for the job.

Debby

Jarian
2012-06-27, 11:27 PM
"An Erinyes seeking the target of its vengeance always possesses a bane weapon appropriate to the target's type. An Erinyes encountered beyond the scope of a quest for vengeance has a randomly-determined bane weapon."

Perhaps?

ngilop
2012-06-28, 12:15 AM
I knew there was a reason I was in love with Jarian, becuase its not like an erinyes is going to be encountered outside of seeking justice

Debihuman
2012-06-28, 12:23 AM
That's way to powerful an ability to give to a creature. Rather, make it a DM fiat.

Debby

Jarian
2012-06-28, 12:26 AM
That's way to powerful an ability to give to a creature. Rather, make it a DM fiat.

Debby

Isn't that basically what it is, anyway? All it does is spell it out to anyone who wants to use the monster that the Erinyes is supposed to have a fiat weapon. *shrug*

Debihuman
2012-06-28, 06:44 AM
Isn't that basically what it is, anyway? All it does is spell it out to anyone who wants to use the monster that the Erinyes is supposed to have a fiat weapon. *shrug*

I think it is too powerful an ability to give to a creature that isn't Epic in scope. However, there is another way. See my most recent edit to my version of the erinyes.

Debby

ngilop
2012-06-28, 03:24 PM
I guess I just don't understand how dealing an extra 2d6 damage is so groundbreakingly powerful that it needs to be epic. I guess I need to perhaps rework some things on my part later today, as I have an appointment soon.

Debihuman
2012-06-29, 02:51 PM
Any weapon wielded by the Erinyes is considered to have the Bane weapon property against whatever target is being attacked.

guess I just don't understand how dealing an extra 2d6 damage is so groundbreakingly powerful that it needs to be epic. I guess I need to perhaps rework some things on my part later today, as I have an appointment soon.

It's not the additional damage per se that makes it epic, it's the fact that she effectively has 31 different bane weapons at her disposal.

Also, what happens if the PCs manage to defeat one and examine the weapon? The weapon doesn't actually have the bane quality since that is an effect from the erinyes. Giving out a +1 longsword as treasure is too cheap for CR 9.

Not only that, but this will change her combat tactics, skills and feats. She needs Appraise so she can assess which PC has the most powerful weapon. Then she'll attempt to disarm her opponent and use his own weapon against him.

First, swap out one of the Knowledge skills for Appraise. Second, swap out some of her feats. She needs Combat Expertise, Flyby Attack and Improved Disarm. Eyes On the Back of Your Head is from Complete Warrior not PH2. Since, flying creatures are difficult to flank, I'm not sure that's the best feat for her. Point Blank Shot is more useful as it is better for her bow. You can keep Dodge and Mobility as bonus feats of course. She has a Dex 27 so her Initiative without Improved Initiative is +8 (you gave her +7 and didn't account for the Improved Initiative feat so it won't even be missed). While Iron Will gives her a +2 bonus to Will saves, dropping her Will save from +12 to +10 isn't going to be a problem as she has a high Wisdom score.

Debby

ngilop
2012-07-09, 02:07 PM
Ligiea (The Fallen Erinyes)

Size/Type: Medium Outsider ( Extraplanar, Evil)

Hit Dice: 19d8+114 (217 hp)

Initiative: +6

Armor Class: 37 (+10 Dex, +10 natural, +1 dodge, +6 profane), touch 27, flat-footed 26

Base Attack/Grapple: +19/+25

Attack: +2 Unholy Dagger +27 melee (1d4+7/19-20 plus 2d6 dmg) or Claw +26 (1d8+6 plus Awaken Sin)

Full Attack: +2 Unholy Dagger of Wounding +27/+27/+22/+17 melee (1d4+6/19-20 plus 2d6 dmg unholy +1 Con) or +2 Unholy Dagger +27/+22 ranged (1d4+6/19-29X2 plus 2d6 dmg unholy) Claw +26/+26/ (1d8+6 plus Awaken Sin)

Special Attacks: Haste, spell-like abilities, snake-hair

Special Qualities: Damage reduction 15/good, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to disease, electricity, fire, petrification, and poison, resistance to acid 30 and cold 30, see in darkness, spell resistance 28, telepathy 100 ft., true seeing, Evasion, Mettle, Fast Healing 7

Saves: Fort +17, Ref +19, Will +20

Abilities: Str 23, Dex 27, Con 23, Int 24, Wis 24, Cha 27

Feats Blind-Fight, Combat Reflexes, Two-Weapon Fighting, Flyby Attack, Iron Will, Improved Two-Weapon fighting, Lightning Reflexes, Weapon Focus (claw), Weapon Focus (dagger) DodgeB

Skills Bluff +33, Concentration +31, Diplomacy +29, Disguise +33, Escape Artist +27, , Intimidate +26, Knowledge (planes) +28, Listen +38, Spot +40, Perform (acting) +26, Perform (dancing) +29, Sense Motive +32, Stealth +27, Survival +25 (+8 racial bonus on spot and listen)
Languages Abyssal, Celestial, Common, Infernal, Sylvan, Undercommon; telepathy 100 ft.

Challenge Rating: 16

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Haste {Su}:
Ligiea is purpetually under the effects of a haste spell, a dispel or greater dispel magic supresses this effect for 3 rounds, while a disjunction supresses it for 1 round per 2 caster levels.

Snake-Hair {Ex}
Ligiea hs several snakes instead of hair and any opponent successfull attacked in melee by the Erinyes suffers an attack form the snakes, these snakes attack at the Erinyes BaB (+9) as a melee touch attack dealing 1d2 damage and must make a successful Will save (DC 27) or be affected by an affect identicle to the touch of madness (Complete Divine) spell. CL 10 The save is charisma-based.

Evasion {Ex} If Ligiea makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage.

Mettle {Ex}: If Ligiea makes a successful Fortitude or Will saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage or a lesser efect on a successful save, she instead takes no damage or suffers no detrimental effect from the spell.

See in Darkness {Su}: Ligiea can see perfectly in darkness of any kind, even that created by a deeper darkness spell.

Spell-Like Abilities:
At will—Darkness, Desecrate, Detect Good, Detect Thoughts, Doom (DC 19), Ethereal Jaunt (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), Greater Teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), Read Magic, Suggestion (DC 21), Tongues (self only) Caster level 16th

3 times per day—Greater Dispel Magic, Protection From Good, Unholy Blight (DC 22 partial), Wall of Fire, Insanity (DC 22) Caster level 16th

1 time per day— Mirror Image, Summon 2d4 Fiendish Trolls (100%) 1 Hezrou (100%) Caster level 16th

Ok, while i might not agree with Debi's proposal that beings centered around justice and punishing evils are evil, there is teh whole well basic D&D says Erinyes are evil cuz we need LE succubi blah blah other not good reasons, and hey celestials do fall, so whay can't an erinyes? so here is my OWN fallen erinyes.

Debihuman
2012-07-10, 05:03 AM
Not bad. Her bonus for Dex is +8 not +10. You should recheck your math as I didn't have time.

[QUOTE=ngilop;13524896]

Initiative: +6 should be +8

Armor Class: 35 (+8Dex, +10 natural, +1 dodge, +6 profane), touch 19, flat-footed 25

Attack: +2 Unholy Dagger of Wounding +27 melee (1d4+7/19-20 plus 2d6 unholy) or Claw +26 melee (1d8+6 plus Awaken Sin)

Full Attack: +2 Unholy Dagger of Wounding +27/+27/+22/+17 melee (1d4+6/19-20 plus 2d6 unholy +1 Con) or +2 Unholy Daggers +27/+22 ranged (1d4+6/19-20 plus 2d6 unholy), or 2 claws +26 melee (1d8+6 plus Awaken Sin)

Feats Blind-Fight, Combat Reflexes, Two-Weapon Fighting, Flyby Attack, Iron Will, Improved Two-Weapon fighting, Lightning Reflexes, Weapon Focus (claw), Weapon Focus (dagger) DodgeB

She has too many feats. She only should have 7 regular feats. Blindfighting could be dropped for sure.

Otherwise, it looks good. How many daggers does one of these have?

Debby