PDA

View Full Version : Preposterous Monsters?

Malimar
2012-06-25, 11:50 PM
I'm talking all the goofy, ludicrous monsters from earlier editions that everybody makes fun of (http://www.headinjurytheater.com/article73.htm). The flailsnail. The wolf-in-sheep's-clothing. The duckbunny. The nilbog. The campestri.

How many ridiculous monsters like these have gotten official (or high-quality unofficial) updates to 3.5e? Where?

Any particular favorites, of the ones that have been updated?

eggs
2012-06-26, 12:21 AM
This is pretty much what the Tome of Horrors books are.
They're third party, but well done.
I highly recommend them.

EDIT:
I can't recall the name, but my favorite is an undead tornado. With fists. For punching things.

EDITEDIT:
Mortuary Cyclone! (ToH3)

Agent 451
2012-06-26, 12:41 AM
Well as for monsters, the sharn is pretty preposterous. It was originally included in a 2nd edition Faerun box set. Updated to 3.5 it gives you this:

Large Aberration
Hit Dice: 4d8+20
Speed: 10 ft., fly 40 ft.
AC: 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+11
Attack: 3 claws +6 (or 3 Medium-size or smaller melee weapons +4 melee), 6 claws +4 melee (or 3 Medium-size or smaller weapons +4 melee), 3 bites +4 melee
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/cold iron, independent action (This allows you to have two standard actions and a move action or a full round and a standard action. Plus you can cast twice per round, as long as the spells come from different different sources...which you have.), evasion, immunities, fixed shape, archetypal shape, regeneration 2, SR 20, darkvision 60 ft.
Special Attacks: Spellcasting levels (7th level sorcerer, 5th level cleric), hex portals (These portals are controlled by the monster and can move 20ft per round. They allow you to cast spells through them, which allows you to cast touch attacks at range)
Feats: Alertness; Blind-fight; Combat Reflexes; Multiattack; Multidexterity; Multiweapon Fighting
Challenge Rating: 8
LA: +5

Goodbye action economy!
(Underlined text paraphrased)

@ eggs: Are those the books that stat out Lucifer?

eggs
2012-06-26, 01:07 AM
@ eggs: Are those the books that stat out Lucifer?
They do that.

They also stat out carnivorous walking landclams, chaos-sowing armadillos and giant one-eyed tentacle-frogs.

So I guess they do a pretty good job catering to certain folks who want to get nice and riled, and to people who want the preposterousest monsters. Everybody wins!

Agent 451
2012-06-26, 01:14 AM
You had me at chaos-sowing armadillos.:smile:

LadyLexi
2012-06-26, 08:54 AM
Roving Mauler. When a lion and a ferris wheel breed.

Arcanist
2012-06-26, 09:08 AM
*Snip*

Those are Sharn man, they are supposed to be insanely broken I mean when your job is protecting Abier-Toril itself from the Phaerimm you HAVE to be powerful :smalltongue:

And the Phaerimm HAVE to be powerful since they kind of HAVE to be a threat to Toril 24/7 365. I mean even to Epic level spellcasters they are still powerful threats (Hell almost anything with 19th level Sorcerer Spellcasting is a threat to a sane* Epic Spellcaster).

*By sane I mean players with Epic spellcasting that don't run around with a million Epic spells with a 0 spellcraft DC.

Mnemnosyne
2012-06-26, 09:31 AM
Well as for monsters, the sharn is pretty preposterous. It was originally included in a 2nd edition Faerun box set. Updated to 3.5 it gives you this:
Well at least whoever was designing the Sharn realized that maybe we shouldn't let players get access to these abilities, and threw in the Archetypal Shape extraordinary quality to prevent that.

CTrees
2012-06-26, 11:11 AM
The crazy thing is, they gave it a level adjustment. LA:- would have been a big step in the right direction.

Yora
2012-06-26, 11:14 AM

Well, that monster at least is supposed to be a manifestion of alien minds that provokes a "WTF?" reaction. It is wrong on purpose, while most AD&D monsters seem to be treated as ordinary wildlife.

GolemsVoice
2012-06-26, 11:26 AM
Besides, the rowing mauler is based on this charming fellow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buer_%28demon%29)

deuxhero
2012-06-26, 01:34 PM
Animated Object Ferris Wheel, duh!

Isn't that design ripped from one of the demon's from the Lesser Key of Solomon?

Malimar
2012-06-26, 04:18 PM
This is pretty much what the Tome of Horrors books are.
They're third party, but well done.
I highly recommend them.

Aha! I thought I had vague, niggling memories that this existed, but couldn't remember for sure, or what it was called. Excellent.

SilverClawShift
2012-06-26, 05:05 PM
One of my DMs first creations was the "Flim Flam Man".

He was a lovecraftian horror who couldn't be disbelieved. Anything he said was true. It was technically bad DMing, because we didn't have a choice but to agree with everything the flim flam man had to say. It was GREAT roleplaying practice...because we had to agree with everything the flim flam man said.

We wound up winning when we realized he wasn't fighting us. With a sufficient diplomacy check, the flim flam man also believed anything HE was told. He was told we were trying to take over the world and was trying to stop us.

...We wound up taking over the world when our sorcerer/face had the charisma to convince the flim flam man of anything he said. So I guess that was true.

Kinda a ridiculous idea that wound up being ridiculous at the table.