PDA

View Full Version : Tainted Spellcasting

TheLooker
2012-06-26, 01:06 AM
So while looking through the Tainted Scholar I noticed that their spellcasting is based off of taint. It also says that their depravity score increases every time they cast a spell unless they make a will save. The DC's are then based off of corruption. Doesn't this allow you to just become undead, use planar binding to summon a tainted elemental, and then touch it endlessly to continue increasing your corruption score, thereby accumulating an infinite save DC? As for spells, you could potentially get hundreds of spells if you get your depravity up the wahoo. Am I reading this right?

eggs
2012-06-26, 01:11 AM
So while looking through the Tainted Scholar I noticed that their spellcasting is based off of taint. It also says that their depravity score increases every time they cast a spell unless they make a will save. The DC's are then based off of corruption. Doesn't this allow you to just become undead, use planar binding to summon a tainted elemental, and then touch it endlessly to continue increasing your corruption score, thereby accumulating an infinite save DC? As for spells, you could potentially get hundreds of spells if you get your depravity up the wahoo. Am I reading this right?
Yup. That's pretty much how it works.

TuggyNE
2012-06-26, 01:14 AM

That's why the tainted casting systems are generally considered brokenly good. (As well as brokenly creepy, but that's a side issue. :smallyuk:)

Alleran
2012-06-26, 01:21 AM
Use Savage Species to get the evil subtype or be a Necropolitan to get the undead type first. That way, you're immune to the negative effects of taint.

Other than that, yep. Pretty much. Tainted spellcasting is one of the most broken things in the game.

Arcanist
2012-06-26, 01:25 AM

This is a debatable trick since being Undead technically puts a cap on your Taint Limit (Your 1/2 Cha +1) (Pg 62 HoH).

EDIT: Floops! It just says you automatically start with that amount of taint as an Undead :smalltongue: Yeah tainted spellcasting is some serious BS.

TheLooker
2012-06-26, 01:40 AM
Have you ever heard of WotC or any other group trying to fix it or set limits on it?

Alleran
2012-06-26, 01:44 AM
Have you ever heard of WotC or any other group trying to fix it or set limits on it?
Not unless there was a Sage answer in Dragon magazine, but I don't think so.