PDA

View Full Version : What are the iconic actions for Cleric/Fighter/M-U/Thief?

vgunn
2012-06-26, 01:19 PM
What actions immediately come to mind when you think of Fighter, Cleric, Magic-User, or Thief?

For example:

Cleric [Bless] [Heal] [Pray] [Ward]

or

Thief [Backstab] [Hide] [Sneak] [Steal]

I'm also looking for special moves as well, things are limited in use so you'd might only have them available once per day or something similar.

Thanks in advance!

The Glyphstone
2012-06-26, 01:33 PM
Thief: [Backstab] [Climb Walls] [Hide In Shadows] [Pick Pockets]

SowZ
2012-06-26, 02:23 PM
I never liked hide and sneaking to be separate skills.

vgunn
2012-06-26, 02:41 PM
I never liked hide and sneaking to be separate skills.

I can see the argument you're making.

INDYSTAR188
2012-06-26, 02:52 PM
Cleric [Turn Undead] Fighter [Cleave]

Ajadea
2012-06-26, 03:00 PM
Fighter: [Damage Soaking] [Armor Wearing] [Bashing Heads] [Mundane]
Cleric: [Heals] [Protects] [Prays] [Buffs]
Mage: [Blaster] [Debuffing] [Destroys Things] [Can't Take A Hit]
Thief: [Stealthy] [Sneak Attack] [Acrobatic] [Lying Like a Rug]

El Dorado
2012-06-26, 05:20 PM
I read the title as a multi-class fighter/magic-user/cleric/thief. . . in which case the iconic actions are: [half-elf] :smallwink: [utility caster] [survivalist].

ka_bna
2012-06-26, 05:39 PM
Cleric: [Heal] [Walk around in heavy armor] [Turn Undead]
Fighter: [Bash] [Bash] [Smash]
Magic-user: [Fireball] [Study] [Use 1001 kinds of magic]
Thief: [Sneak] [Pick locks/chests/traps] [Hide] [Steal from party members]

HunterOfJello
2012-06-26, 08:27 PM
Fighter: [Heavily Armored] [Weapon Toting] [Slashing apart everything in sight] [Dependable Backbone of Party] [Tactician]

Cleric: [Heal] [Buff] [Turn Undead] [Holy Magic Nuking] [Divination] [Deals with extraplanar Good and Evil beings]

Thief: [Backstab] [Gynastic] [Trap Finding + Disabling] [Sneaky Sneaky] [Sticky Fingers] [Sage of Street Wisdom]

Magic-User: [Shooting Fire] [Throwing Lightning] [Robes] [Pointy Hat] [Dies Easily] [Beard] [Magical Knowledge Bearer] [Summons random **** all the time] [Staves + Wands]

vgunn
2012-06-26, 10:13 PM
I need more suggestions for fighters.

Craft (Cheese)
2012-06-26, 10:59 PM
I need more suggestions for fighters.

The only action all fighters can do in every edition is attack. And attack again. And attack again. Things like trips and disarms and sunder attempts weren't introduced until later.

Eldariel
2012-06-26, 11:05 PM
The only action all fighters can do in every edition is attack. And attack again. And attack again. Things like trips and disarms and sunder attempts weren't introduced until later.

Whirlwind does have some background tho. So there's one. "Disruption" was never a coded ability but disrupting spells and ranged attacks by waving weapons at the spellcasters/archers has always been one of Fighter's functions.

Of course, their signature abilities are really just Weapon Mastery & Weapon Mastery; they gain extra attacks and can specialize in weapons to gain increasing bonuses.

Winter_Wolf
2012-06-27, 12:13 AM
Cleric: Healbot [Healing spells]
Fighter: Slash/smash/stab [Kill it with the pointy/sharp/heavy end]
Mage: Burn the World [Burn the World]
Thief: Klepto [Klepto]

Those would be "iconic" in the sense that those seem to be the personalities that almost always spring to mind first. Prior to 3E anyway. I don't really play like that, but I've always ended up in games where that was essentially it.

And race-wise:
Elf: Effete and/or Elitist Snob
Dwarf: Belligerent Drunk
Gnome: Practical Joker/Jackass
Hobbit: "Really, why are you here again?"
Half-orc: "Don't stare at his/her nose."

Cespenar
2012-06-27, 01:28 AM
Not going into the usual stuff:

Fighter: [Weapon Tricks], [Protect Ally], [Ignore Effect], [Athletics]

The Glyphstone
2012-06-27, 07:57 AM
Fighters...[Deal Damage][Take Damage].

That's pretty much it.

Telonius
2012-06-27, 08:25 AM
Cleric: Heal. Prevent friends from taking damage. Act as group conscience. Tell Paladin when he's going a bit too far.

Fighter: Perform feats of strength or endurance. Use weapons and armor that others can't. Hit things with pointy stick. "Death Blossom" attack. Steps up his game when fighting a BBEG or his lieutenant.

Mage: Shoot lightning/fireballs/etc (especially from a wand or a staff). Engage in magic duel with enemy mage. Impress local rubes with low-level magic. Research in any ancient library. Field research using dangerous substances.

Thief: Steal stuff. Sneak attack. Disable traps. Enter local hive of scum and villainy without drawing attention.

Bard: Sing or perform musical instrument. Find out secrets. Summon backup singers. While in any establishment serving alcohol, Summon Free Beer. While in any tavern (or captured by an enemy), Seduce Person. Special Quality: Genre Savvy.

Urpriest
2012-06-27, 11:47 AM
As said above, for Fighter, it's mostly [Weapon Tricks], which depend on the weapon:

Polearms: [Trip][Ready(against a charge)][Push]
Pointy Stuff: [Impale][Charge]
Archery/Throwing: [Volley][Stick them to something][Knock something out of their hand]
Sword: [Parry][Counter-Parry]
Axe: [Cleave][Sunder]
Hammer: [Squish][Concussion]
Shield: [Bash][Block][Push][Advance][Protect]
Staff: [Parry][Distract][Daze/Annoy]
Complicated Things on Chains: [Entangle][Disarm][Grab objects][Intimidate][Lacerate][Trip][Choke]
Curved Blades: [Spin around like an idiot]
Horse: [Charge][Ride-by Attack][Trample]
Unarmed: [Martial Arts Cliches of Choice]
Opponents: [Hit heads together][Hit on floor][Whirl around to hit others][Toss (a dwarf)]