PDA

View Full Version : RAW Question: Quivers and such

dndquestion
2012-06-26, 04:46 PM
I am trying to understand how RAW handles ammo and the need for that ammo to be or not to be in a quiver (arrows/bolts) or pouch (bullets).

Magic quivers and the like aside, can ammo simply be carried in inventory or does it need to be "staged" in the appropriate container?

And if so, I have seen plenty of threads discussing how many quivers a person could equip. But does RAW address this?

The Random NPC
2012-06-26, 04:59 PM
RAW, 20 arrows come in a leather quiver, but there aren't any rules for if you don't have enough quivers.

dndquestion
2012-06-26, 05:07 PM
RAW, 20 arrows come in a leather quiver, but there aren't any rules for if you don't have enough quivers.

Right, but lets say you just escaped capture and you were able to grab your trusty longbow. You then run around the woods and rip arrows out of dead orcs. But no quiver. Just an old sack you picked up.

This is where I could not find RAW or was unsure where to look. Do I need a quiver? If the arrows are being held in a sack then is loading still a free action for longbow? That kind of thing.

HunterOfJello
2012-06-26, 05:17 PM
For the most part, this sort of thing is just left uncovered by the rules because adding extra rules into it would just complicate things and hinder both some classes and combat in the game itself.

Drawing an arrow is a free action. Pulling an item out of your backpack/belt/whatever is a move action. Pulling out material components for a spell from a spell pouch is a free action.

No specifications are made for maximum quiver sizes or the necessity of certain types of carrying cases. A DM could add in annoying rules like that, but it would only hamper the game and make combat more annoying. In the end, it would only lead to every character ever played buying up an Quiver of Ehlonna for every weapon they use and Handy Haversack for every other item.