PDA

View Full Version : Birthright/Sigil question

rexreg
2012-06-26, 11:15 PM
a couple of friends of mine wish to play a 2nd ed. campaign & i have agreed to DM...Planescape(!!) has been decided upon as the campaign setting...
the PC's will be starting on a Prime, but will get to the Planes pretty quickly...
one of the players wants a PC whose background is Cerilian (Birthright).

as this PC would carry the essence of a now-deceased god, would The-Lady-says-no-god-may-walk-in-Sigil come into play? or is the Bloodline, now removed from actual divinity, not an issue? the player has no desire to play a Birthright character if he can't have a Bloodline...
I'm guessing it's not an issue, but wanted a second (& third) opinion.
thanx in advance for answers

hamlet
2012-06-27, 08:26 AM
Well . . .

This is really something that's at the core of AD&D. DM interpretation of things.

First off, and take this part with a truckload of salt since I'm not entirely familiar with the cosmollogy of Cerillia, but I'm fairly to middlin' certain that the world of Cerillia does not intersect the planes in the same way as the generic AD&D world, or at all for that matter. They have a squidgy funny little thing all their own, so it might, by the book, not be connected to the Great Wheel stuff.

However, this is not to say that you can't have it happen anyway. There's a great little adventure in a book of modules (The Well of Worlds I think?) that's designed to get the PC's from the Prime to the Planes, and it has them investigating a wizard who has gone missing. They find his lab where it turns out he's been conducting planar experiments and managed to fudge it up and got himself shunted straight to hell. The PC's, likewise, fall for the same trap and off they go. I've run it, it's actually quite fun even if it has a "no save no win" trap in there. It's a contrivance to get you from one place to another, and it has enough saving graces to make up for all that.

As for a blooded character getting into Sigil, again, DM interpretation. As I recall, the ban is against deities in Sigil, not against those who have deific blood or relatives. Or, it might be a matter of a power threshhold, so a low power blooded character from Birthright might not trip the alarms, but if he gains too much power, he might start to accrue problems and eventually find himself barred or mazed for his troubles. Or, it might have no effect at all because, technically, though he has some of the power of a dead god in him, he's not, himself, a deity because he lacks the godhead, which specifically went to somebody else. It's really up to you to decide.

If it were me, I'd say he has no problems really, but if he gets more and more blood power (sorry, I'm forgetting my terminology here) he might start to draw ugly looks from the Dabus and find that they're following him around and talking about him in those inscrutible rhebuses of theirs. And maybe the Lady gives him the stink eye from time to time, but might not flay or maze him. Just keep an eye on him, which could be a bane and a boon all at the same time. And an adventure hook on top of that. Find somebody who's trying to become a god themselves in the city? Well, you know that the Dabus follow you around, and the Lady has her eye on you, so maybe you get suspected, but you can use that fact to lead them right to the true source of the trouble and earn a pat on the head or something. Or maybe the factions, upon discovering what you really are, all start a covert war to get their hands on your blood for their own gain. Etc.

Now I'm inspired. Where's my notebook?

rexreg
2012-06-27, 10:49 AM
great answer--you have given me food for thought...
i like the idea of the PC having Sigil/The Lady interact w/ him in differing ways corresponding to how strong his Bloodline is...
also hadn't thought of how strongly tied into the rest of the multiverse Cerilia is...that being said, even the insular pantheons (Greyhawk), or the planes 'cut off' from the mutliverse (Ravenloft) can have entrance/egress at the DM's whim...
I've run parts of The Well of World, including the intro adventure to hijack the players to the Outer Planes...good stuff...whatever else i do, the players are unfamiliar w/ the Modron March & I was thinking of interspersing some of those vignettes...

"The game is the thing, and certain rules can be distorted or disregarded altogether in favor of play." Mr. Gygax, 1st ed. AD&D DM's Guide...

Whammydill
2012-06-27, 03:21 PM
If i remember correctly, in Birthright a persons bloodline was essential to tying them to the land. Helping them rule and gain regency...whatnot. I could have sworn that there was some lore in the Birthright books about their bloodlines having no effect outside the "blooded" lands, like the lands south of Miercoles (sp?)

If that's the case, a Cerillian blooded person would probably be under the radar in Sigil.

hiryuu
2012-06-28, 11:34 AM
The Planewalker's Handbook mentions on page 147 that blood abilities wane on the planes, since their bloodline land ties are severed when they're out there.

rexreg
2012-06-28, 03:31 PM
thanx, hiryuu, that is the answer i was looking for...
i spent all my time looking through Birthright stuff...