PDA

View Full Version : RPG Bucket List

BiblioRook
2012-06-27, 04:03 AM
I'm wondering if people have lists of things they've always wanted to try playing as or do in game, but maybe never worked up the nerve to go through with it or maybe the situation never lined up just right for it.

For me it's characters, I love making them but I never seem to be in the right game to ever use any of them.

hushblade
2012-06-27, 04:37 AM
Oh same here, I have a dozen character concepts I want to play, and I generate the ideas like 5 times as fast as I get opportunity to use them.

BiblioRook
2012-06-27, 04:55 AM
Three things particularly I've always wanted to play as have been as a ghost, an awakened animal (preferably a bird), and a pixie or other like fey. I might get a chance with the third coming up in a game a friend is running. I kinda got to play as a bird once, but I it was with a really petty GM how wouldn't let me actually do anything in game because she was convinced I was trying to over power the game (as a bird?). Yet to have any real luck with the ghosts.

Ianuagonde
2012-06-27, 07:37 AM
A friend of mine frequently runs Mage campaigns. They're usually grim and gritty stories, so my idea for a character always seems out of place...one of the Mythbusters. Highly specialized in techno-babble to explain that yes, you can in fact blow up a building with a sausage cannon / a bag of chemicals / water and lemons. Catchprase: "I reject your reality, and substitute my own".

It would be glorious.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-06-27, 08:59 AM
Kick a dragon in the nuts.

Malacode
2012-06-27, 09:12 AM
1 - Actually have a character get from 1-20 in a campaign. At -least- 1 to 16.
2 - Run a game that gets added to my groups "List o' Awesome"
3 - Have a character die in a meaningful way

hushblade
2012-06-27, 11:00 AM
Kick a dragon in the nuts.

A half dragon once bit a dragon in the nether regions, rolled a natural 1, and wound up covered in something that wasn't blood. DM ruled the dragon was stunned for a turn though.xD

genderlich
2012-06-27, 01:42 PM
I've always wanted to play a Lawful Good Necromancer. It's easier in Pathfinder now because of the Life subschool.

BiblioRook
2012-06-27, 02:45 PM
I just remember the whole laundry list of character concepts I've had over the years that the system just refused to support, ether because they would be 'broken' or 'unplayable'. Such as a druid that instead of having one big animal as a companion he instead had a whole flock of otherwise mundane birds, or a blind swordsman ("There's no excuse for being blind in D&D," they said, "all he would have to do is find some cleric to cast 'Cure Blindness' and be done with it!").

Manwhoisthisman
2012-06-27, 09:14 PM
For me it's characters, I love making them but I never seem to be in the right game to ever use any of them.

Me too! My favorite character idea was a character created as part of a dream by someone, then burst into the astral sea via 3.5 MotP dreamscapes breaking and having 1% chance of things becoming real. It doesn't make him terribly different in terms of balance, but I always thought it would be a cool existential background.

("There's no excuse for being blind in D&D," they said, "all he would have to do is find some cleric to cast 'Cure Blindness' and be done with it!").

Yeah, the blind hero types are usually pretty awesome. You might note that "Cure Blindness" doesn't regenerate missing eyes though. You just need to have a character that has had them removed. Still the fact remains that with d20 systems in general there is little incentive (aside from good roleplaying) to have character flaws.

Silma
2012-06-27, 09:21 PM
I just remember the whole laundry list of character concepts I've had over the years that the system just refused to support, ether because they would be 'broken' or 'unplayable'. Such as a druid that instead of having one big animal as a companion he instead had a whole flock of otherwise mundane birds, or a blind swordsman ("There's no excuse for being blind in D&D," they said, "all he would have to do is find some cleric to cast 'Cure Blindness' and be done with it!").

his eyes were severely damaged. The only way to cure this would be the regenerate spell but it would take a while.
Or maybe a magical curse, that he could try to break in-game. Maybe by the time he actually manages to find a way to break the curse, he doesn't want to.

DontEatRawHagis
2012-06-27, 10:00 PM
I always wanted to DM my deity war campaign for 4e. Got through the first two sessions before a bunch of people couldn't make it, also I did a pretty bad job keeping the players cooperating with each other.

Paranoia is something that is always on my to play list though, no one in my area will GM it besides me. :smallfrown:

Call of Cthulu is currently the closest one I could do, mainly because a friend of a friend used to have weekly games every so often, that might start up again.

As far as characters go, I have a couple I built for 4e, but as with a lot of my problems it is all about finding a GM, also I'm a bit picky because I like playing Psychic characters.

Hylas
2012-06-28, 12:22 AM
a blind swordsman
I know, right!

In Pathfinder you could play a blind oracle with the battle mystery. I was going to try that in a PbP game here but wasn't selected. It's also a viable build in Legend (at least when I read it in one of the betas). One day I'll get to be a gestalt fighter/oracle then my dreams will be complete.

I'm working on an RPG system with a friend and it'll definitely be a viable option for play. There'll be a low power version which is effectively D&D's darkvision and a high power version which has 360 viewing.

Also I want to play an Elocator. Walking on walls and... spring attacking I guess.

Traveler
2012-06-28, 06:00 AM
Bucket list? Yeah, I've got one of those and it only gets longer as the years go by. But right now there is one that's at the top of the list. Well, two.
One: have a dramatic enterance. Show up right when my guy is needed most and get a good one liner in.
Two: Actually scare the BBEG. For once in my life I'd like if I could actually get the enemy to be scared of me for a change. Not likely to happen though. My DM loves to play villians who know exactly who they are dealing with and hold all the cards.

hoverfrog
2012-06-28, 06:19 AM
My son has been hassling me to run an undead campaign with the PCs as different kinds of intelligent undead. An interesting idea but I'm sure it's been done before.

Personally I'd like to play my 1st edition druid, converted to 2nd edition and then 3.5 again and get him to epic levels.

prufock
2012-06-28, 07:02 AM
My brain comes up with characters (I have a list of 50+ concepts/builds I'd like to use) and campaigns (usually have half a dozen in mind) for various settings and systems. I won't list off the characters, because that would take a heck of a long time, but some things I'd like to do are:
- Sandstorm. Never run it but would like to. I'm planning on working a desert adventure into the current game I'm running, which will borrow heavily from this setting.
- Eberron. Magic+steampunk. One of the most interesting settings, yet I've never played one.
- Mutants and Masterminds sandbox-style game. The characters would be normal people who just wake up with powers one day, set in a world just like the real world.
- Tangent Star Wars campaign. The story would run in 3 parts, from episodes 4-6, with the PCs involved in their own story that takes place in the background of the main story.
- D&D sandbox-style game in the style of the West Marches, called "The Road East." There IS actually an overarching plot in mine, but it's very open for the PCs to do what they want.
- Low-level "traveling band" game, where all the characters are bards.
- Zombie apocalypse. I've played in zombie games before, but never run one. They tend to be fun in the short term, but it's difficult to do horror properly. I actually want to try something different here, though, mixing in some Cthulhu mythology-type stuff.
- Monster hunters. I have difficulty deciding on a setting for this one. Victorian or renaissance Europe, colonial or reconstruction-era USA, or maybe a more modern X-Files type setting. Basically involves a team that tracks down and captures or eliminates classic "urban myth"-type and "classic" monsters (Loch Ness monster, Big Foot, Chupacabra, Kraken, aliens, Mothman, vampires, werewolves, dragons, Slender Man, swamp creature, giant anaconda, globsters, jackalope, kappas, kelpies, mermen, melonheads, Montauk monster, skyfish and so on).
- I also had an idea for a time-traveling game, where each adventure would be a new time period.
- I also wanted to take the basic D&D setting a few centuries or millennia into the future, as an exercise with myself to see how the world would change. I envision it as some weird combination of Eberron, real technology, and the Tippyverse.

One: have a dramatic enterance. Show up right when my guy is needed most and get a good one liner in.
Two: Actually scare the BBEG. For once in my life I'd like if I could actually get the enemy to be scared of me for a change. Not likely to happen though. My DM loves to play villians who know exactly who they are dealing with and hold all the cards.
I like your list! The dramatic entrance would be awesome.

I actually have scared the BBEG before, it was great. I was playing a Sorcerer/Dread Witch/Nightmare Spinner focusing all on fear, but the BBEG had immunity by virtue of a MacGuffin sword of godslaying or some such. So I ported to the Astral Plane for a few rounds to buff up my caster level, then ported back. When he found me, it was one quick Telekinesis disarm check later and it's MY SWORD NOW! Evil guy more or less crapped his pants and I made quick work of him.
Unfortunately, I also failed my save vs. alignment shift for touching the MacGuffin, and went on to almost destroy the world.

I've also had a couple deaths that, while not particularly meaningful, were at least not random, meaningless bad luck, and kept in character. For example, I played a grappler that went up against the BBEG around level 8 or 9 with no caster support, because he was the only one to pass his will save. Sigh, poor Uluk, he never had a chance, really.

BiblioRook
2012-06-28, 04:11 PM
My son has been hassling me to run an undead campaign with the PCs as different kinds of intelligent undead. An interesting idea but I'm sure it's been done before.

I've actually been in a game like that, it was amazing! Moreso due to the DM though, he basically sprung it on us making us think it was a normal high level campaign, then an epic necromancer got the drop on us and decided he liked our style and made us his 'generals'. Some 300 years later we find ourselves free of his control and no memories of the last three centuries, still undead, and the DM turns to us and simply asks "Now what do you do?"

ye'leven
2012-06-28, 06:57 PM
1. Throw a bead of force at a lightning rail and loot the remains.
2. Eat an ancient dragons heart
3. Play as a Deranged Hermit druid who swarms his enemies with squirrels upon squirrels and then casts Overrun
4. Survive the day of Mourning and aftermath

Hylas
2012-06-28, 08:09 PM
I've actually been in a game like that, it was amazing! Moreso due to the DM though, he basically sprung it on us making us think it was a normal high level campaign, then an epic necromancer got the drop on us and decided he liked our style and made us his 'generals'. Some 300 years later we find ourselves free of his control and no memories of the last three centuries, still undead, and the DM turns to us and simply asks "Now what do you do?"

I was actually playing around with this idea in that the thinking undead player characters are actually ex-adventurers. Glad to know that's it's not only possible but also fun.

Grail
2012-06-28, 10:05 PM
Three things particularly I've always wanted to play as have been as a ghost, ...snip.... Yet to have any real luck with the ghosts.

Well then, you should have joined my PbP - the Haunted Ones. :smallbiggrin:

Wyntonian
2012-06-29, 05:36 PM
Play Gordito Delgado from Dr. McNinja. (A rather excellent webcomic)

A preteen boy who befriended and mastered a velociraptor to serve as his mighty steed, who dual-wields six-shooters and grew a glorious moustache in about eight seconds out of sheer force of will. Currently in training under Dr. McNinja (Who is both a medical doctor and a ninja).