PDA

View Full Version : Divine Spell to Power?

Roguenewb
2012-06-27, 09:17 AM
I heard a rumor that it is possible to get Divine spells on a Spell to Power Erudite. Supposedly this was through the use of a feat from dragon magazine. Is this true? If so, what is the name and issue of the magazine? If it isn't, is there anyway to accomplish the task ?

Psyren
2012-06-27, 09:21 AM
I believe the standard method is to get a theurge cohort with Alternative Source Spell, have him prepare his divine spells as arcane, then read them from his head.

dextercorvia
2012-06-27, 10:01 AM
I believe the standard method is to get a theurge cohort with Alternative Source Spell, have him prepare his divine spells as arcane, then read them from his head.

Archivist cohort with Southern Magician doesn't lose any spell levels, and gets you access to all of the lists.

Roguenewb
2012-06-27, 10:24 AM
So, the feat doesn't exist?

Alleran
2012-06-27, 10:28 AM
So, the feat doesn't exist?
It exists. You just can't go straight from divine spellcaster to Erudite. You have to go divine --> arcane --> psionic instead. So to speak.

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-06-27, 10:39 AM
Archivist cohort with Southern Magician doesn't lose any spell levels, and gets you access to all of the lists.

This is the standard approach. Archivist itself can steal arcane spells by means of working with another caster (or Warlock 12) and making a scroll of whatever spell he desires, then adds it to his pray book as a divine spell. Then, as dextercorvia mentioned, you do the reverse and have the euridite read the arcane->divine->arcane spell and get it as a power known.

Rubik
2012-06-27, 06:43 PM
You can also abuse the Mantled Erudite option (it's right next to the Spell-to-Power variant) for the Magic Mantle and use the Extra Spell feat to grab divine spells (since the Magic Mantle makes psionics even more transparent than normal). Then craft a power stone of it (since it's now a psionic power on your list of powers), and PsyRef to swap Extra Spell for another feat (including Extra Spell), then learn the power you just swapped out.

Combine with a thought bottle to learn everything from every list, ever.

Keld Denar
2012-06-27, 07:15 PM
This is the standard approach. Archivist itself can steal arcane spells by means of working with another caster (or Warlock 12) and making a scroll of whatever spell he desires, then adds it to his pray book as a divine spell. Then, as dextercorvia mentioned, you do the reverse and have the euridite read the arcane->divine->arcane spell and get it as a power known.

I thought there was a ruling somewhere that said that artificer and warlock scrolls were neither arcane nor divine...I can't find it, but I swear I saw it.

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-06-27, 07:27 PM
I thought there was a ruling somewhere that said that artificer and warlock scrolls were neither arcane nor divine...I can't find it, but I swear I saw it.

You are correct in that the artificer and warlock are either arcane/divine, but the DMG does mention that multiple characters can work together on making an item. Thus, the non-archivist provides the spell, while the archivist "makes" the scroll itself.

AWiz_Abroad
2012-06-27, 08:32 PM
Because spell to power erudite in and of itself isn't already a wizard you want to add in Archivist?

Sheesh, you must be playing a HECK of a high optimization game

kulosle
2012-06-28, 12:41 AM
There is also a feat, arcane disciple i believe, that lets you add a domain spells to your spell list. Also wu jen, dread necromancer, bard and all of it's variants have several divine spells as arcane spells.

Kalaska'Agathas
2012-06-28, 12:52 AM
It exists. You just can't go straight from divine spellcaster to Erudite. You have to go divine --> arcane --> psionic instead. So to speak.

I could have sworn seeing some Dragon feat which allowed you to go straight Divine to Psionic, though. Do you have a source on the feat you're looking at?

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-06-28, 12:59 AM
Because spell to power erudite in and of itself isn't already a wizard you want to add in Archivist?

Sheesh, you must be playing a HECK of a high optimization game

Honestly, I think it's less of how high the optimization goes and more a question of "Is it doable? If so, just how?"

There seems to be a strong belief that a straight divine->psionic conversion exists in the bowels of some Dragon magazine, but, even without such, it is doable, albeit incredibly cheesy.

Alleran
2012-06-28, 01:29 AM
I could have sworn seeing some Dragon feat which allowed you to go straight Divine to Psionic, though. Do you have a source on the feat you're looking at?
The feats I know of that do it (off the top of my head) are Alternative Source Spell and Southern Magician. One is in Dragon, and the other is in Races of Faerun. I don't know of anything that allows you to go straight from Divine to Psionic.

Psyren
2012-06-28, 07:33 AM
I seem to recall a divine->psionic feat too. Hamishspence found it I believe.

Roguenewb
2012-07-02, 02:04 PM
Who/what is Hamishpence, and where would I go to run that down?

Psyren
2012-07-02, 02:07 PM
He's a poster here, with a massive library of 3.x material :smallsmile: If there is indeed a Dragon Mag with a "Divine Erudite" feat, he'd know where to find it.

All I have at the moment is a vague memory of such.

sreservoir
2012-07-02, 10:15 PM
pretty sure the other trick involves chameleon crafting; I'm quite sure there's no direct divine stp.