PDA

View Full Version : Tippyverse MMO

Gligarman2
2012-06-27, 02:37 PM
Not sure if this makes me crazy, but when I read about the Tippyverse, my first thought was "Holy crap! This would be an awesome mmo!" Are there any Tippymmos? Perhaps with PVP or RP elements?

Acanous
2012-06-28, 12:47 AM
Nope. It would be cool, but there isn't one. You should make one.

Gligarman2
2012-06-30, 07:50 PM
How? I am a fantasy illustrator for a tabletop RPG, not an MMO designer, programmer, or even lore-writer? I have no skills or friends nessecary for such an endeavor.:smallfrown:

Anecronwashere
2012-06-30, 09:50 PM
Get a team together here on Giant and hope to whatsoever God/Gods you believe in you can get funding for it?

making a basic outline, some artwork and maybe a demo and make some friends in the business.

I'd be willing to help if you can get a few others to take it seriously.
I'm heading into programming and Game Design.

Beware though. MMOs are really expensive but have some pretty good returns if they make even a decent success. Remember the old Star Wars MMO that failed? it made millions of pure profit right at the start.

List of things needed:
Artist
Basic class designs and powers
Programmer
Lorewriter
Single/Multi-Player Demo Level
Unbiased Playtesters
Some start-up capital (use Kickstarter?)
Design Goals and milestones
Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting

It is a really good idea that I'm sure everyone will want to try with even decent advertisement.

Acanous
2012-07-01, 04:21 AM
I could help with level design. I'm good at making dungeons.

The game-mechanic aspect, not the actual architecture.

Anecronwashere
2012-07-01, 04:59 AM
I'm going to assume this will actually eventualize for now and get into some actual stuff about the game. production team will come later (maybe it's own thread?)

The first thing for an MMO (or really any game) is playstyle and base.
Who are we marketing this too? hardcore D&Ders who know all about the Tippyverse? People who want to go kill people and sow chaos? softcore D&D players? WoW abandoners?

What playstyle do we want? Political Intrigue, Hack&Slash, Both? Optional for either?

Do we explore how and why the Tippy became Tippy or just go with it being there and letting the players who dont know google it and learn if they want?

Is it going to be 3rd person? or 1st?
Most MMORPGs are 3rd and it's a good rendition. 1st has the advantage of being more focused on RP (you are the character not the player) while 3rd

Class-based, Talent-Tree, Point Buy or Other?
Most likely Class since it's D&D-inspired

How many classes will there be and will there be Multiclassing?
3-4 archetypes? with PrCs coming online midway?

Should we stick with a mostly D&D-esque world with Resetting Traps and Teleport Circles and lvl20 wizards having Immunity Everything on their Astral projections?
Is Mundane going to be an option? or will it be Wizard, Cleric, MagiThief? If so how will they differ when doing quests? Or talking to NPCs?

Togath
2012-07-01, 05:10 AM
What playstyle do we want? Political Intrigue, Hack&Slash, Both? Optional for either?

Is it going to be 3rd person? or 1st?
Most MMORPGs are 3rd and it's a good rendition. 1st has the advantage of being more focused on RP (you are the character not the player) while 3rd

Class-based, Talent-Tree, Point Buy or Other?
Most likely Class since it's D&D-inspired

is a political intrigue video game even possible?, it seems like it would be easier to make it something else(and also not that many mmo players are into that sort of game, and those that are can usually just form a guild for roleplaying).
Also; dont forget that many mmos have both 3rd person perspective and 1st person perspective, so you dont need to necesserily select only one.
Also; most mmos have classes and talent trees(virtually all mmorpgs), though adding customizable statistic points in addition to classes and talent trees could be interesting.

endoperez
2012-07-01, 05:23 AM
How? I am a fantasy illustrator for a tabletop RPG, not an MMO designer, programmer, or even lore-writer? I have no skills or friends nessecary for such an endeavor.:smallfrown:

You could try to spread the idea around, hoping that it catches the interest of someone who could do it. You're a fantasy illustrator, so you could make some concept pieces that show the things that most interest you in it.

Anecronwashere
2012-07-01, 05:33 AM
Make a turn-based game with 3-4 attacks, a couple buffs and a few utilities.
Rename HP as Convinced, rename the Attacks as things like "Orate" or "Charismatic Speech", the buffs become things like "Defend position" or "Half-Truth/Facts" which either give you DR against certain attacks or increase the damage of your attacks.
Utilities are HP-regain, DoT Effects when you use an Attack action, Immunity from damage for 2 rounds etc.

You now have the basics of a debating system that will take as much time to whip up as any other turn-based combat system. Because it IS a turn-based combat system, just without bloodshed.

If you replace the HP bar with a meter (hp damage pushes the meter away from you, hp gain pulls it toward you), remove the utilities (or make them regular Attacks) and set milestones and a turn countdown you have a Bartering system for the marketplace.

Easy and as simple to make as any Final Fantasy combat.

1st/3rd in general.
The majority of a players time will be spent in ___ perspective.

As for the Class/Talent/PointBuy is concerned:
By Class I meant D&D Classes, Feats, Skills etc.
By Talent Trees I meant WoW-like stuff, choose a class then customize it with your talent points you get from leveling.
By Point Buy I meant GURPS-esque. no classes, just choose what abilities to buy from X points.

Gligarman2
2012-07-02, 09:05 PM
Wait, did I just make an actual MMO with my random question. I'm not making it, but if someone else does it would rock.