PDA

View Full Version : Spell and Sneak Attack Question

Stultus
2012-06-27, 03:27 PM
Hello all, an npc my group is about to fight is a rogue/assassin, so he has some of those nifty assassin spells and he has a sneak attack. I know that I can apply the sneak attack dice to spell damage, and that the sneak attack damage changes type and all that. What I am wondering is if he were to sneak attack with a maximized, lets say Ice Knife, would the sneak attack dice be maximized.

The SRD for Maximize Spell reads,
"All variable, numeric effects of a spell modified by this feat are maximized. Saving throws and opposed rolls are not affected, nor are spells without random variables. A maximized spell uses up a spell slot three levels higher than the spell’s actual level."

I can see the argument that precision damage is extra and doesn't count as a spell effect, but I can also see the argument that because the sneak attack changes type, the new damage is a direct effect of the spell.

So basically, I'm not sure what to do... :smallconfused:

Diarmuid
2012-06-27, 03:30 PM
Your ruling is right in the SRD text you quoted.

Are the Sneak Attack dice a numeric effect of the spell? No, then they arent maxmiized.

Stultus
2012-06-27, 03:45 PM
Thanks, I feel really silly for not realizing that.

Diarmuid
2012-06-27, 03:47 PM
No sillyness involved. Just an honest question.

Annos
2012-06-27, 03:58 PM
any spell that has an attack roll can be used to sneak attack

Siosilvar
2012-06-27, 04:08 PM
any spell that has an attack roll can be used to sneak attack

That wasn't the question. You'd have to know that to ask the question in the first place.

SSGoW
2012-06-27, 04:42 PM
I ask questions to things I don't know before asking them....

Is there a spell that gives sneak attack in some way? I know there is a spell called "rage" and "transformation" that gives the wizard the barbarian stuff (plus better since they can buff before hand) so did they ever make a *grant sneak attack* spell where you gain 1d6 sneak attack/ 3 (or whatever) levels? That could get scary maximized and empowered.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-06-27, 04:57 PM
Hunter's Eye (Ranger 2) does precisely that, giving you 1d6 sneak attack dice per 3 CLs for 1 round. Pretty bad in a ranger as they have an awful CL; but Unseen Seer's love it due the Divination CL buff they get and that they can persist it wihout a lot of hoops.

Siosilvar
2012-06-27, 05:02 PM
I ask questions to things I don't know before asking them....

Is there a spell that gives sneak attack in some way? I know there is a spell called "rage" and "transformation" that gives the wizard the barbarian stuff (plus better since they can buff before hand) so did they ever make a *grant sneak attack* spell where you gain 1d6 sneak attack/ 3 (or whatever) levels? That could get scary maximized and empowered.

I don't think you could maximize or empower hunter's eye (which, by the way, is in the PHB2). It just gives you the sneak attack ability; the extra damage isn't caused by the spell.

Togo
2012-06-27, 06:20 PM
Nighstalker's Transformation Wizard/Sorceror 5

It gives, amongst other bonuses, 3d6 bonus damage that 'works like a rogue's sneak attack ability. It works very much like Transformation.