PDA

View Full Version : Nymph /wilder...would it work?

bansidhe
2012-06-27, 04:41 PM
Now i have an opportunity too create a greater roleplaying token class/race combo...and im a real Fey buff,most of my kudos has been earned playing a pixie warlock...and trust me,we are not talking Disney here.
PS: i should point out that powerful race /classes meed these RP tokens too be able too play them,fine by me. :)

So,anyway, i was thinking Nymph/wilder...think a version of River from Firefly...but ,now im not sure,I mean arcane is the fey trademark,psionics!?..i think I can make it work,but ...y,know ,im starting too get uncomfortable with it.
I also think I really can make it work,but,i really need help here!

Justification,for me so i can throw myself into it,and some bio ,or backstory help would be great,because without that,im not even going too get the chance too try.

So ,in a nutshell:Help me stop thinking im going powerbuilding,and ,more importantly,help me with her story!

All help gratefully received..

but please help!

:)

Kuulvheysoon
2012-06-27, 04:53 PM
See if you can't grab the feytouched (or even half-fey) template instead. Although you lose most of the racial benefits, it's not worth it to lose 14 manifestor levels.

eggs
2012-06-27, 05:32 PM
Re: Nymph /wilder...would it work?

No. It really wouldn't.

EDIT:
But Kuulvheysoon's suggestion is good.

Or you could take 0 levels in the Feytouched Savage Progression (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) before going into Wilder. There'd be some decent synergy there.

Wyntonian
2012-06-27, 05:41 PM
It may not entirely reach new heights of suckage in gestalt, where you can have one side eat that narsty LA sammich, but you'd have to start at level 14+.

eggs
2012-06-27, 05:45 PM
Do Monster classes usually fly in gestalt? I'd be shocked if Savage Species didn't have a nymph progression.

EDIT:
Most. Overstated. Shock. Ever.

Siosilvar
2012-06-27, 05:51 PM
To expand a little bit on everybody saying "no", a nymph, if you play it as a PC, is a 13th level character. Before class levels. (It does have 6 hit dice, though, which is less than half the hit points, saves, BAB, etc. you're expected to have at 13th level).

This is because it has 6 HD and a level adjustment of +7.

You do get 7th level druid casting, but that's rather painfully low compared to your fellow 13th level druid. And if you take levels in any casting class other than druid, you get your first-level spells (or powers, in this case) at 14th level, when everyone else is throwing around 7ths like it's no big deal. You are so far behind the curve that you'll have trouble doing anything even if survival isn't an issue (frex. due to playing in a low-op low-combat campaign).

Prime32
2012-06-27, 05:54 PM
Yeah, that Level Adjustment is killer. With no wild shape and no animal companion, a nymph is actually weaker than a well-played lv7 druid; it doesn't deserve to count as lv13.

And then there's the usual issues of high LA, like dying instantly to spells like cloudkill and holy word. Pixie is probably the only race where an LA as high as +4 is workable.

JeminiZero
2012-06-28, 08:31 AM
It may not entirely reach new heights of suckage in gestalt, where you can have one side eat that narsty LA sammich, but you'd have to start at level 14+.

Or similiarly, if you have a certain amount of free LA, that cannot be used for RHD or Class levels.

Also: If you want the Fey type without too much hassle, look up the Killoren from races of the wild. A Killoren Wilder is workable.

Alternatively: Homebrew! There are several versions of the Nymph monster class sitting around. Those probably won't let you go wilder though.

Psyren
2012-06-28, 09:12 AM
Dusklings are also fey, and can make decent wilders/soul manifesters.

strider24seven
2012-06-28, 03:15 PM
How to deal with the RHD:
Don't take class levels yet. Energy Drain yourself... UMD a scroll, get hit by some undead, or have a wizard cast it on you. Volunteer yourself for necromancy testing... whatever.

Voluntarily fail your saves for permanent level loss. Drain yourself down until you have 1 Fey HD, which you then can trade out for a class level.

Then powerlevel like a madman (madwoman?) until you're on par with the rest of the party.

Alternatively, write this into your backstory.

The +7 LA is a -lot- harder to deal with without thought bottle shenanigans.

However, you are 7 steps closer to being playable.

The Glyphstone
2012-06-28, 03:21 PM
How to deal with the RHD:
Don't take class levels yet. Energy Drain yourself... UMD a scroll, get hit by some undead, or have a wizard cast it on you. Volunteer yourself for necromancy testing... whatever.

Voluntarily fail your saves for permanent level loss. Drain yourself down until you have 1 Fey HD, which you then can trade out for a class level.

Then powerlevel like a madman (madwoman?) until you're on par with the rest of the party.

Alternatively, write this into your backstory.

The +7 LA is a -lot- harder to deal with without thought bottle shenanigans.

However, you are 7 steps closer to being playable.

Aaaaand 7 steps closer to being beaten with a DMG. That sort of thing is only going to fly in, at best, moderately high-op environments, which the OP does not sound like a member of.

bansidhe
2012-06-30, 04:45 PM
Yep ,this a RP game,so all the crippling stuff,does not actually matter that much,the bit im actually worried about is fey+psionics vs fey=arcane,on one lvl it makes sense,Fey work with the mind,on another it doesn't,Fey are arcane!

We are a heavily RP based group, and I really don't want too let them down!

I really think i can make it work,I just need some help on the story :smallsmile:

TuggyNE
2012-06-30, 06:28 PM
Now i have an opportunity too create a greater roleplaying token class/race combo...and im a real Fey buff,most of my kudos has been earned playing a pixie warlock...and trust me,we are not talking Disney here.
PS: i should point out that powerful race /classes meed these RP tokens too be able too play them,fine by me. :)

Er, what do you mean by roleplaying tokens? :smallconfused:

P.S. Around here, it's usually better to say "I'm in a low-op game" rather than "we're just roleplayers, not optimizers" or the like; there are a lot of very strong roleplayers that are fairly into optimizing, so you'll often get a bad reaction to that dichotomy.

bansidhe
2012-07-01, 02:59 AM
Oh rats ,im terrible at this!

P.S. Around here, it's usually better to say "I'm in a low-op game" rather than "we're just roleplayers, not optimizers" or the like; there are a lot of very strong roleplayers that are fairly into optimizing, so you'll often get a bad reaction to that dichotomy.
__________________Quote from above,yes it is a low op game,but i do indeed like too optomise,I detest being the party leech,also,i should of stated,this is a NWN1 game,using the PRC for ToB classes etc and lots of other mods.it actually follows the 3.0/3.5 rules as closely as game mechanics can.

RP tokens means that 3 or more DM,s have agreed that you can actually rp your char/race/class consistantly and correctly,and you are given a token too access differant races ,classes etc EG:its taken me 6 months plus too earn that one! :)

Jack_Simth
2012-07-01, 12:18 PM

So,anyway, i was thinking Nymph/wilder...think a version of River from Firefly...but ,now im not sure,I mean arcane is the fey trademark,psionics!?..i think I can make it work,but ...y,know ,im starting too get uncomfortable with it.
I also think I really can make it work,but,i really need help here!

Justification,for me so i can throw myself into it,and some bio ,or backstory help would be great,because without that,im not even going too get the chance too try.

So ,in a nutshell:Help me stop thinking im going powerbuilding,and ,more importantly,help me with her story!

All help gratefully received..

but please help!

:)
Ah... not well. You might try refluffing a Gloura (underdark: 7 RHD, +2 LA, casts as a Bard-7), take three levels in Bard, and then go Sublime Chord (or if this is Gestalt, one level in Bard). That'll put you just three levels behind a Sorcerer (two behind a Wizard) in spell access, but will still give you some of the nymph nifties.