PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Burrowing Eidolons

Mayito
2012-06-27, 08:49 PM
I am looking at making a summoner for pf society and I want to make a burrowing/eating/ridable mount. I don't even know if you can ride a mount while its burrowing. Any news on that? Also any particular evolutions/feats I should keep my eyes open for?

doko239
2012-06-28, 11:58 AM
I am looking at making a summoner for pf society and I want to make a burrowing/eating/ridable mount. I don't even know if you can ride a mount while its burrowing. Any news on that? Also any particular evolutions/feats I should keep my eyes open for?

Large/Huge evolutions are bread and butter for Eidolons; easily the most efficient power boosts available.

Make him a quadruped and take Pounce evolution.

Skilled evolution is borderline broken in PFS; Evolution Surge + Skilled = instant expert at anything. It's also probably the best possible choice for Aspect.

Regarding riding while burrowing, there's no rule that says you can't, but any GM would likely say lolno.

Larpus
2012-06-28, 12:05 PM
Unless you somehow get burrow yourself, which I guess would allow it.

Other than that, maybe the swallow whole evolution?

The eidolon has to be at least one size category larger than you, you'd need to check with your DM if it's possible to use swallow whole to carry as opposed to actually swallowing (thus dealing no damage) and you wouldn't actually ride it, but that's the closest I can think...

Mayito
2012-06-28, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the replies! I guess I will need to talk to my gm to see if he would allow it but as stated before probably not... I do really like the idea for skilled and aspect and can easily see why it could be broken

marcielle
2012-06-28, 11:29 PM
Dropping everything into skilled, you can be better rogue than rogue. Someone at enworld did the numbers and until high levels, you outclass the rogue at EVERYTHING the rogue can do except sneak attacking. On top of that, your summoner has magic. A rogue that has higher numbers and can burrow to safety is not to be taken lightly. The fact that you get awesome stuff like haste discounted a level makes you as good at buffing as a bard. You can pretty much invalidate the 'skillful' classes.
Note, your combat suffers heavily for this. BUT, and this is a big one. You can totally retool you eidolon every level. Once the casters can blow through most things that use to require skill checks, you just remake your eidolon for combat or something.

doko239
2012-06-29, 01:51 AM
Dropping everything into skilled, you can be better rogue than rogue. Someone at enworld did the numbers and until high levels, you outclass the rogue at EVERYTHING the rogue can do except sneak attacking. On top of that, your summoner has magic. A rogue that has higher numbers and can burrow to safety is not to be taken lightly. The fact that you get awesome stuff like haste discounted a level makes you as good at buffing as a bard. You can pretty much invalidate the 'skillful' classes.
Note, your combat suffers heavily for this. BUT, and this is a big one. You can totally retool you eidolon every level. Once the casters can blow through most things that use to require skill checks, you just remake your eidolon for combat or something.

You don't even have to sink your points into Skilled, that's the beautiful part about it. Lesser Evolution Surge is a 2nd-level spell; no other caster gets a spell that reads "+8 racial bonus to one skill for minute/level", especially not as a 2nd level spell!

Just get a wand of Lesser Evolution Surge, and never have to worry about skill checks again.