PDA

View Full Version : Morphing Weapons that are Hand-and-a-Half?

MetaKirby06
2012-06-28, 12:15 AM
So I was looking for good enchantments for weapons, when I came across the "Morphing" enchantment. I then thought, "This would be great for the character I'm making right now," since he has, like, 7 or 8 weapons. So I reduced his arsenal down to 4 weapons, two of which were "Morphing" weapons (specifically, a "+1 Keen Morphing Dwarven Waraxe" & a "+1 Keen Morphing Mercurial Greatsword"). So I thought, "Great! The Dwarven Waraxe covers 1-handed weapons, & the Mercurial Greatsword covers 2-handed weapons." Then I realized the Dwarven Waraxe is a hand-and-a-half weapon, and therefore can be 1-or-2-handed. But the Morphing enchantment limits the changing options to weapons of the same size category as the enchanted weapon. And since a Dwarven Waraxe is a 2-handed martial weapon and a 1-handed exotic weapon, that would mean it could become any 1-handed or 2-handed weapon. However, this doesn't seem right, because it appears that "hand-and-a-half" is also a size category, but it isn't mentioned as one in the description of the Morphing enchantment.

So, my question is, can Morphing hand-and-a-half weapons become any 1-handed and any 2-handed weapon, only one of those two, or only other hand-and-a-half weapons?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Kuulvheysoon
2012-06-28, 12:19 AM
Depending on the length of the campaign, it might be better to just buy the Sizing enchantment from Underdark. Along with morphing, allows it to become any +1 weapon you can think of, really.

kulosle
2012-06-28, 12:31 AM
I have no insights to give, but i am also very interested. Hope you get an answer.

KillianHawkeye
2012-06-28, 06:32 AM
RAW? The dwarven waraxe is listed as a one-handed exotic weapon. It has special rules which allow it to be used two-handed as a martial weapon, but that does not change its official designation.

MetaKirby06
2012-06-28, 02:46 PM
Replies!

KillianHawkeye: Thanks! Now I know how to treat those hand-and-a-half weapons.

Kuulvheysoon: Interesting... But you can't make a morphing projectile weapon, unless it also has melee capabilities (such as a Yuan-Ti Serpent Bow).

By the way, since projectile weapons can be used as improvised melee weapons (as can arrows & crossbow bolts), could you make a morphing bow or crossbow? Or can you only make projectile weapons with melee capability? Also, could make an elvenmake bow (capable of use as a non-improvised melee weapon) a morphing weapon, or turn a morphing weapon into an elvenmake bow? Also, can you have a morphing crossbow that has a bayonet attached?

Yorae
2012-06-28, 05:44 PM
My inclination would be to let it turn into other weapons that have that distinction. Like a bastard sword, which is also hand-and-a-half.

Seerow
2012-06-28, 06:14 PM
1) Hand-and-a-half is not a distinction in 3.5. The options are "Light" "One-Handed" and "Two-Handed". A Bastard Sword is a one-handed weapon, and will turn into other one-handed weapons.

2) Sizing doesn't work that way. Sizing changes the size of the weapon, but the size of the weapon doesn't change its category. Taking a Medium Longsword and sizing it down to small doesn't make it a Light Weapon, it makes it a Small One-Handed weapon. So no, a Sizing Morphing weapon won't let you change it into anything you want.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-06-28, 08:48 PM
2) Sizing doesn't work that way. Sizing changes the size of the weapon, but the size of the weapon doesn't change its category. Taking a Medium Longsword and sizing it down to small doesn't make it a Light Weapon, it makes it a Small One-Handed weapon. So no, a Sizing Morphing weapon won't let you change it into anything you want.

Well, I'll be damned.

I checked out Underdark, just to be certain, and that's exactly what it reads. I was apparently thinking of the Everchanging Blade, (a +1 metalline morphing sizing longsword) that can become any single +1 weapon the user desires. Must be a specific special ability.

Once again, I bow to Seerow's wisdom.