PDA

View Full Version : Iskandar's Travels in...A user chosen Let's Play

Iskandar
2012-06-28, 12:57 AM
Ok, my last Let's Play ended as a bit of a failure, so it is now on to bigger and, hopefully, better things.

However, I'm at a bit of a crossroads on what game to play next. So, I'm leaving the decision up to you. What game do you want to see me mangle play next?

I have a short list of suggestions, but feel free to suggest (almost) any game you'd like, with certain limitations. I don't do real time or FPS. Exceptions might be made, but the game must be exceptional. No MMOs or multiplayer anything, please. Note that I don't necessarily need to own the game, but any game much over $10 might get vetoed. Feel free to ask.

The winner will be chosen after a week, or if any game gets 5 more votes than the next highest, or 10 votes total the voting will be closed earlier.

I'll tally the results here.

Now, my suggestions:

Bastion
Chantelise
Hitman
Psychonauts
X-Com: TftD
Recettear
Space Rangers 2
Tropico 3
UFO: Aftershock
Lunar Flight
TOME (or any roguelike, really, but heavy ASCII graphics makes for a harder LP)
Dungeons of Dredmor

And the results, so far:
Recettear 4
Psychonauts 2
X-Com: TftD 2
Tropico 3 1
Mechwarrior 4: Mercs 1
UFO: Afterlight 1
Dungeons of Dredmore 3
Hitman 1
Star Wolves 3 1
GalCiv2 1

Grif
2012-06-28, 01:11 AM
I vote for Recettear! :smallbiggrin:

factotum
2012-06-28, 02:02 AM
You might run into the same problem with Recettear as you did with your previous LP--namely, sudden massive increase of difficulty will result in an early exit. (Seriously, the first three weeks of repayments I made easily, but they expect you to make more in the next week than you did in the previous three weeks put together...this is why I hate games with a time limit!).

My vote goes for Psychonauts, since it is mind-blowingly awesome in practically every way.

Crossblade
2012-06-28, 02:18 AM
Personally, I loved watching you play X-com.
And Minecraft.

But you said you weren't too interested in playing either of those (particularly Minecraft) and if you're not enjoying it, then your audience won't enjoy it. Keep that in mind.

My vote goes for Xcom: Terror from the Deep

But if you won't enjoy that, go with Dungeons of Dredmor, I saw PaulSoaresJr play some of it and it was amusing. Heavy death rogue type, but at least you expect the death.

Badgerish
2012-06-28, 05:25 AM
I started watching your new Xcom LP, but it mostly made me want to play it instead of watching it.

Capitalism Ho! I do like 'Recettear' and a good LP would help spread the game.
The only downside is the difficulty of making the last two payments and how running the shop (usually) makes more money than dungeon-delving, thus it can result in just going shopping->run store->repeat.

Another person's perspective on Hitman could be interesting as well.

Sprinter
2012-06-28, 07:56 AM
You might run into the same problem with Recettear as you did with your previous LP--namely, sudden massive increase of difficulty will result in an early exit. (Seriously, the first three weeks of repayments I made easily, but they expect you to make more in the next week than you did in the previous three weeks put together...this is why I hate games with a time limit!).

My vote goes for Psychonauts, since it is mind-blowingly awesome in practically every way.

In case of Racettear the rise in difficulty is intentional. Basicly you are ment to loose first time but instead of game over Racettear just wakes up day 1 from terribad dream of going bancrupt with leveled up knight and everyone else who gave you core card equiped and leveled up already.

i vote for Tropico 3 im curious about but never played it yet.

*edit forgot to vote

Deme
2012-06-28, 09:46 AM
I vote for rampant capitalisim or mustache golems, all the way, personally.

factotum
2012-06-28, 10:23 AM
Basicly you are ment to loose first time but instead of game over Racettear just wakes up day 1 from terribad dream of going bancrupt with leveled up knight and everyone else who gave you core card equiped and leveled up already.

OK, that would officially count as a "D'oh!" moment--I never actually realised that you kept all your dungeon delvers at their proper level if you kept going after "waking up from the dream". That would indeed make things a fair bit easier second time through!

RagingKrikkit
2012-06-28, 10:32 AM
Goldeneye probably doesn't fall under the category of exceptional, so I would say go with one of the X-Com or rip-offs, or you could do Dwarf Fortress if you're feeling insane.

Sprinter
2012-06-28, 11:03 AM
OK, that would officially count as a "D'oh!" moment--I never actually realised that you kept all your dungeon delvers at their proper level if you kept going after "waking up from the dream". That would indeed make things a fair bit easier second time through!

Not all dungeon delvers keep their level for that you need core card not the invitation card. core cards are much harder to get since you need to defeat certain bosses + trigger events to get those and you dont have enough time to get all core cards on first playthought. Its best to concentrate on leveling/equiping knight on 1st playthough since he gives you his core card imediately after meeting him! (hes weaker then the rest overall)

psilontech
2012-06-28, 11:55 AM
Might I make a suggestion?

If you're familiar at all with the Mechwarrior games and/or the Battletech universe, I would like to see MW4: Mercs. It's free.

Domochevsky
2012-06-28, 11:55 AM
What, no UFO: Afterlight? :smallwink:

(Alternatively i'd vote for Dungeons of Dredmor. I'd like to see that one in motion. Or if that is not an option either the third fallback of UFO: Aftershock is good too. I never finished that one.)

Destro_Yersul
2012-06-28, 12:06 PM
Dredmor is great, but I'm not sure how well it would lend itself to a video LP, without heavy jumpcuts.

Psychonauts would be twelve kinds of awesome, though.

factotum
2012-06-28, 03:57 PM
Actually, if we can suggest some random game not on your list, how about Star Wolves 3? Somebody on the boards started a Let's Play of that some time ago, but they never finished it.

t209
2012-06-30, 08:33 AM
Recettear
My most hated game in your list is Terror from the Deep not because of the game itself but the ending.
You just did Miko Miyazaki on Earth's Ocean.
P.S- If X-Com (Either RPG or Real Remake) came out, will you start let's play on it?

RagingKrikkit
2012-06-30, 09:02 AM
He stated before the X-Com LP that this is all in anticipation of the turn-based XCOM and Xenonaughts.

Iskandar
2012-06-30, 08:46 PM
Yeah, Xenonauts comes out like August or September, and X-Com in October.

Xenonauts is playable, actually, and I'm considering doing a one off episode showcasing what is available. At the moment, I'm more excited about this than X-Com, because this is a known thing, that I can play and see is awesome. X-Com sounds awesome, but I've been down that road before and been bitterly disappointed.

RagingKrikkit
2012-06-30, 11:14 PM
Just took another look at youtube footage, and Cryssalids are now quadrapedal... But yu also get to see them tear their way out of your troops limb by limb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evnMp_EYnAo

Triaxx
2012-06-30, 11:15 PM
I want to suggest Galatic Civilizations 2. It's both turn-based and exceptional. And the way you play would be extremely entertaining.

Iskandar
2012-07-03, 10:28 PM
One final bump.

It looks like Recettear will be the winner. This should be interesting.

ThePhantom
2012-07-03, 10:40 PM
I vote for Recettear, it should be interesting where the main character of a game is a shop owner.

KillianHawkeye
2012-07-04, 06:26 AM
I don't even know half of the games you listed, but whatever you choose, I will probably watch it. :smallbiggrin:

Iskandar
2012-07-06, 07:30 PM
Recettear it is then. This should be interesting, the very beginning of the game is fairly text heavy as the plot and game mechanics are introduced.

I'll make a new thread in a bit.

t209
2012-07-06, 09:09 PM
Recettear it is then. This should be interesting, the very beginning of the game is fairly text heavy as the plot and game mechanics are introduced.

I'll make a new thread in a bit.

Thanks Iskandar!
Capitalism HO! (That's game's motto).

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-07-06, 09:22 PM

Oh boy, this'll be good :smallbiggrin:

Crossblade
2012-07-07, 09:46 PM
The wait is killing me!
In the lounge.
With a lead pipe.

Iskandar
2012-07-08, 01:15 PM
The first hour is recorded. I've been slightly delayed by visitors. Expect a new thread in about 24 hours.

Sprinter
2012-07-27, 05:38 AM
Cant find new thread :smallfrown:

factotum
2012-07-27, 06:31 AM
That's because he never posted it--in fact, his post in this thread is the most recent post he's put on the forums as a whole, although his Youtube channel claims activity as recently as the 25th. I wouldn't necessarily trust that date, though, considering how flaky the Youtube interface is at the best of times.

RagingKrikkit
2012-07-27, 09:12 AM
You know you two juswt necroposted, right? Uh... *facepalm* inb4lok.

Destro_Yersul
2012-07-27, 10:03 AM
No they didn't? Requirement for thread necromancy is six weeks of inactivity.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=26&a=1

Anyways, Iskandar, I hope you're coming back at some point.

RagingKrikkit
2012-07-27, 11:09 AM
Oh, I thought it was 2.

Iskandar
2012-07-28, 01:04 AM
Yes, I'm alive. sorry everyone, life got a bit complicated for a bit. A friend of my girlfriend and that friend's 18 month old came and stayed for a bit. They are gone now, but they left us a gift, pertussis. Otherwise known as whooping cough.

yeah.

Episode 1 is recorded, just haven't had the time or energy to upload it just yet.

Soon, I promise.

Again, my apologies for the delay.

RagingKrikkit
2012-07-29, 11:39 AM
Did you know that the California government actually made a smart choice for once? They made whooping cough vaccinations nesecarry for the 11-12 school year, and pretty much wiped it out in the state.

Iskandar
2012-08-02, 12:24 AM
Update: Ok, just went through and tried editing my recorded footage... and I'm just not impressed. The audio was a bit messed up, and it is fairly obvious that I was tired and just not with it.

also, there is quite a bit of a text wall at the start of the game, so I'm beginning to think that this game may be a non-starter for a LP.

I'm going to think about it for a day or two, and I might back down to, say, Psychonauts, instead.

Destro_Yersul
2012-08-02, 12:57 PM
Woooo, Psychonauts!