PDA

View Full Version : Is it weird

Hiro
2012-06-28, 11:59 AM
That because I'm a brony, I've turned one of my most powerful dnd chars into an alicorn?

Black Unicorn+ Winged Template + epic levels of sorcerer+ 25 levels of outsider + a prestige class?

Alabenson
2012-06-28, 03:18 PM
I don't particularly think so, but as a fellow brony I'm not exactly a neutral party.

Honestly, if it were me I'd go one step further and speak using the Royal Canterlot Voice :smalltongue:.

Hiro
2012-06-28, 03:51 PM
Nice reference to Princess Luna.

But not quite, this character doesn't talk like that.

But is on the same level as Luna and Celestia :3

ahenobarbi
2012-06-28, 04:05 PM
I like cookies. The character is probably a bit week for such a high ECL though.

Hiro
2012-06-28, 04:24 PM
Hah...

Well building it by CR instead of ECL

just take a mix monster levels and PC ones with specialized monster feats like "perfect automatic still spell" (like demiliches have) or nonverbal spell

How would youdo it? I know how i would but I like suggestions and all.

bigstipidfighte
2012-06-28, 06:30 PM
Not any wierder than being a brony in the first place, and I'm certainly not one to judge on that count. Personally though I'd use Psionics to represent Unicorn/Alicorn "magic" rather than actual spellcasting for three reasons-

1) The fact that Unicorns need no verbal, somatic, or material components for their magic means they are nigh impossible to make as standard spellcasters.

2) Their magic produces noticeable side effects. The most common is that the user's horn sparkles, and that items under the influence of telekinesis tend to glow as well. This falls right into line with the "Displays" that accompany psionic powers.

3) Most ponies only know a very few spells, meaning that Wilder probably represents them better than Sorcerer. Those rare few who know more can be Psions, who have as many powers known as a sorcerer.

While I respect the first point doesn't really apply to such a crazy high-epic character, I'd urge you to consider the precedent it sets for future Pony PCs (and by Celestia, there should be more of them!). Also, though it's really a matter of personal taste, I feel the Vancian system of spellcasting is a bit arbitrarily restrictive.

Honest Tiefling
2012-06-28, 10:50 PM
I'd say no, people adapt characters they like (Such as Aquaman from Batman the Brave and the Bold cartoon...) to DnD or use them as inspiration. As long as your PC is unique enough, no matter the inspiration, seems fine to me.

But I might be biased since I love monstrous characters AND ponies. One day I will have my duelist Pseudodragon...

kharmakazy
2012-06-28, 11:02 PM
Being a brony is weird. Basing your characters on something you like from someplace else is not weird at all.

Flickerdart
2012-06-28, 11:17 PM
By CR? Awaken-loop a Unicorn for nigh-infinite Charisma, Reincarnate or level drain the useless HD away, give it 18 Wilder levels, have it switch bodies with another Unicorn using Astral Seed + Mind Switch. Congrats, it is now awesome.

If you want epic spell stuff, drain its Wilder levels away and then give it 18 Sorcerer levels, then chain-gate Solars for 0-spellcraft Epic spells on your CR21 invincible superbeing. You can arguably get it down to 20 if you get rid of 3 of your magical beast HD too, but there are technically no rules for HD de-advancement so that's neither here nor there.

For bonus points, dip Paladin for +yes to saves.

All core, too.

TuggyNE
2012-06-29, 01:21 AM
By CR? Awaken-loop a Unicorn for nigh-infinite Charisma

Pretty sure this doesn't work, because the text of awaken strongly implies that only Animal type, animals with no type, Plant type, or plants with no type can be awakened. Magical Beast is ... probably not valid.

planswalker
2012-06-29, 05:12 AM
I'd say no, people adapt characters they like (Such as Aquaman from Batman the Brave and the Bold cartoon...) to DnD or use them as inspiration. As long as your PC is unique enough, no matter the inspiration, seems fine to me.

But I might be biased since I love monstrous characters AND ponies. One day I will have my duelist Pseudodragon...

... there's someone who likes aquaman? I, sir, don't believe you!

Pretty sure this doesn't work, because the text of awaken strongly implies that only Animal type, animals with no type, Plant type, or plants with no type can be awakened. Magical Beast is ... probably not valid.

no, actually, it's MORE restrictive than that. it effects:
Awaken
Transmutation
Level: Drd 5
Components: V, S, DF, XP
Casting Time: 24 hours
Range: Touch
Target: Animal or tree touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

it only effects animals or trees. Not (possibly other) plant creatures, not magical beasts, not 3.0 beasts, not beastmen, not anything else, only animals, which dnd clearly defines for you as things with the Animal type. Using this spell on an animal turns it into a magical beast (augmented animal), making it no longer a valid target for another casting of the spell.

Animals are NOT magical beasts. Unicorns are magical beasts, therefore they are not animals. Trees normally are objects and not creatures, but nothing about a tree prevents you from re-casting the spell on an awakened tree... not that it helps you do what flickerdart suggests.

all that aside, to the original topic:

of course that isn't weird. Every nerd likes to stat out their favorite characters.

Flickerdart
2012-06-29, 10:25 AM
Awaken loop is Awaken -> Polymorph Any Object, which explicitly sets the type. So it works just fine.

Rubik
2012-06-29, 10:36 AM
Awaken loop is Awaken -> Polymorph Any Object, which explicitly sets the type. So it works just fine.Polymorph, PAO, Shapechange, and Metamorphosis all do this.

And if you have Metamorphosis (or are a StP erudite) you can Empower Power it twice. More, if you're epic and take the right feats. (Seriously, Empower x10 on Awaken can get you some awesome mental scores, and can be done repeatedly until you get near max).

planswalker
2012-06-29, 10:41 AM
Awaken loop is Awaken -> Polymorph Any Object, which explicitly sets the type. So it works just fine.

you'd have to polymorph it into something that's an animal, though, which would make it not a unicorn.

Flickerdart
2012-06-29, 10:47 AM
you'd have to polymorph it into something that's an animal, though, which would make it not a unicorn.
Which is what the Astral Seed and Mind Switch are for, yes.

Bit Fiend
2012-06-29, 12:26 PM
Is it weird

Yes.

Is that bad.

No.

Carry on.

Urpriest
2012-06-29, 12:37 PM
It's weird that you're playing a game above level 40 and somehow have the impression that there are CR rules for what happens when you add a pile of outsider hit dice onto something. Past that, what you do with that setup is hardly capable of being particularly strange.

Waker
2012-06-29, 01:28 PM
Yes, it is very weird. How dare you play as a pony in D&D, that's not the way the game was meant to be played. You need to rip up your character sheet and immediately roll up a hirsute bear-man druid, a magical elf or a traveling minstrel who can influence others with the power of music.

bigstipidfighte lists some good alternatives to the current character concept you have. Other potential replacements for the spellcasting is to use Warlock, Incarnate, Totemist or Binder, since the powers are mostly at-will and it would better represent the lack of variety of abilities that unicorns have at their disposal. If you later decide that you need a bit more spells to sling around, all of those classes have a theurge PrC that can mix with Sorcerer.

Honest Tiefling
2012-06-29, 10:23 PM
... there's someone who likes aquaman? I, sir, don't believe you!

Cartoon, not comic. See the following:
Platelet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19ENf36bpco)
Rousing Song of Heroism (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE8C1WWixgc&feature=related)Sound is a bit off, but it is Aquaman as a bard.

More on topic: If your DM doesn't agree, then there's nothing funnier then fighting his monsters as a superpowered pink unicorn, provided they don't try to kill you immediately. Try to convince your party to make something equally as silly, or more ponies.