PDA

View Full Version : "Sword and Sorcery" anime recommendations

Yora
2012-06-28, 02:26 PM
Not neccessarily actual "sword and sorcery", but to be clear what kind of "fantasy anime" I have in mind.

I very much love Rune Soldier and Princess Mononoke and Record of Lodoss War also has it's merrits. I started with Berserk once, but I think that's a bit too dark for me right now. I've read Inuyasha and it didn't really catch me.

Any recommendations what to look into?

Alabenson
2012-06-28, 02:35 PM
I'd say the single biggest anime in the genre your talking about is Slayers, which is honestly one of my favorites (though the first season does start out a little slow). Very good action/comedy shonen series based on western fantasy.

Prime32
2012-06-28, 03:03 PM
Seconding Slayers. Five seasons (Slayers/NEXT/TRY/Revolution/Evolution-R), though the last two are kind of meh. Most of the light novels are available in English too, and apparently quite different plot-wise.

Berserk's tone goes up and down. Some scenes are horrifying, but the world isn't swarming with demons like the first few chapters make it seem. (not sure if the anime had those or leapt straight to the flashback arc)

Would Negima count for this? In the Magic World arc, I mean.

Comet
2012-06-28, 03:12 PM
Vision of Escaflowne, maybe? A lot of magic, knights and all that good stuff. There are giant robot suits in it, too, but they are powered by magic, wear capes and fight with huge swords so you can just pretend they are giants in armour. Plus the soundtrack is pretty reminiscent of western fantasy epics, if I remember correctly.

Yora
2012-06-28, 03:44 PM
I ended up starting Soul Eater. Not at all what I was looking for, but very funny so far. :smallbiggrin:

I think Slayer will make it to the top of my To-Do list. I've heard it's hilarious, but so is Rune Soldier and I enjoyed that very much.

Escaflowne maybe some day. It appears to be one of those "teleported to a fantasy world" things, which is something I really don't like as a plot device. But who knows, maybe later.

I also just remembered that I still have Moribito very high on the list of DVDs I want to chase down. But it's so difficult to get Japanese shows with English subtitles for a reasonable price here. :smallmad:

Man on Fire
2012-06-28, 04:12 PM
Slayers and Magic Knights Reyhart, two fantasy anime of my childhood.
While it's not an anime, try very good manga Vinland Saga.

Fragenstein
2012-06-28, 04:54 PM
I can't let this go without Ninja Scroll. It's not the eurocentric fantasy work you might be looking for at the moment, but it's a really great piece of work based in feudal Japan.

Asheram
2012-06-28, 05:27 PM
How about Scrapped Princess?

Fiery Diamond
2012-06-28, 08:07 PM
Vision of Escaflowne, maybe? A lot of magic, knights and all that good stuff. There are giant robot suits in it, too, but they are powered by magic, wear capes and fight with huge swords so you can just pretend they are giants in armour. Plus the soundtrack is pretty reminiscent of western fantasy epics, if I remember correctly.

This is a rather unique anime that deserves a little elaboration. I've seen it described as being both shounen and shoujo at the same time, and I think that's a pretty accurate statement. So if you don't like shoujo at all, this is not a good anime to watch. If, however, shoujo is acceptable to you and you also like shounen, it's a decent anime. It's a little odd. I enjoyed it, but it isn't one that I would rewatch.

Terraoblivion
2012-06-28, 10:34 PM
...How can something be both shounen and shoujo? Given how demographic labels work in Japan they're mutually exclusively, so either it's one and manages to appeal to the other demographic or it is one of very few products released outside narrow demographic targeting.

erikun
2012-06-28, 11:28 PM
Record of the Lodoss War / Legend of Crystania
Slayers
Ruin Explorers
Louie the Rune Soldier
Magic Knight Rayearth

Scrapped Princess could probably work as well, although it ends with a futuristic conclusion. Escaflowne is another interesting one that is mostly sword-n-sorcery, if you're okay with the knights running around in mechs. Berserk, Orphen, and several others also fit into the genre.

I'll also recommend Dorothea, if you're looking at manga.

...How can something be both shounen and shoujo? Given how demographic labels work in Japan they're mutually exclusively, so either it's one and manages to appeal to the other demographic or it is one of very few products released outside narrow demographic targeting.
It's an action romance, for the most part. I believe it was marketed as shoujo, being about Hitomi travelling to another world and falling for Van, but it ended up playing out much like most Gundam shows with a lot of inter-character intrigue. They might have switched genres partway through making the show, intentionally or not.

Terraoblivion
2012-06-28, 11:46 PM
It's an action romance, for the most part. I believe it was marketed as shoujo, being about Hitomi travelling to another world and falling for Van, but it ended up playing out much like most Gundam shows with a lot of inter-character intrigue. They might have switched genres partway through making the show, intentionally or not.

Okay, so it's just shoujo that has action. That isn't really anything remarkable and I kinda figured that was probably it. Just a reminder, shoujo doesn't mean romance and shounen doesn't mean action. Shounen means aimed at boys in their early and mid-teens, shoujo means aimed at girls in roughly the same age range. Content can be quite diverse in both cases. Azumanga Daioh is shounen for example and Revolutionary Girl Utena is shoujo.

Fiery Diamond
2012-06-28, 11:50 PM

Yep. Describing it as both shoujo and shounen is merely a very good way of conveying how really odd it is. I'll be honest, I have no clue which demographic it was supposed to be targeted toward; but it embraces the foundational elements of both types of genres that are called to mind when one uses to demographic-target terms shounen and shoujo. I've never encountered an anime or manga anything like it in that way. Except for it, of course.

EDIT:

Okay, so it's just shoujo that has action. That isn't really anything remarkable and I kinda figured that was probably it. Just a reminder, shoujo doesn't mean romance and shounen doesn't mean action. Shounen means aimed at boys in their early and mid-teens, shoujo means aimed at girls in roughly the same age range. Content can be quite diverse in both cases. Azumanga Daioh is shounen for example and Revolutionary Girl Utena is shoujo.

I'm aware of the fact that shounen and shoujo are not genres, but demographics. The thing is, however, that there are certain ... how do I put this ... styles that genres are done in, depending on whether they are intended to be shounen or shoujo. Calling an anime or manga shounen or shoujo is often done among the English-speaking fandom as shorthand for indicating the particular kind of style that it is done in, rather than actually talking about what the makers of the show intended to be the audience. Hence my use earlier. You really have to watch that anime yourself all the way through to see what I mean - it is rather unusual. I've seen action genre shoujo, and this "feels" different than what others I've seen of that. I've seen romance genre shounen, and this "feels" different from others I've seen of that. It has strong elements of both.

Togath
2012-06-29, 03:39 AM
Yep. Describing it as both shoujo and shounen is merely a very good way of conveying how really odd it is. I'll be honest, I have no clue which demographic it was supposed to be targeted toward; but it embraces the foundational elements of both types of genres that are called to mind when one uses to demographic-target terms shounen and shoujo. I've never encountered an anime or manga anything like it in that way. Except for it, of course.

EDIT:

I'm aware of the fact that shounen and shoujo are not genres, but demographics. The thing is, however, that there are certain ... how do I put this ... styles that genres are done in, depending on whether they are intended to be shounen or shoujo. Calling an anime or manga shounen or shoujo is often done among the English-speaking fandom as shorthand for indicating the particular kind of style that it is done in, rather than actually talking about what the makers of the show intended to be the audience. Hence my use earlier. You really have to watch that anime yourself all the way through to see what I mean - it is rather unusual. I've seen action genre shoujo, and this "feels" different than what others I've seen of that. I've seen romance genre shounen, and this "feels" different from others I've seen of that. It has strong elements of both.

Aye, i agree with vision of escaflone being an odd anime, probably a decent description would be a romance shonen done with shojo style animation, but even then, it's still a bit odd

Dr.Epic
2012-06-29, 09:11 AM
There isn't a lot of Sword and Sorcery in it, but Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi has one or two episodes with that them. Plus it satirized plenty of other stuff.

Feytalist
2012-06-29, 09:25 AM
How about Scrapped Princess?

Seconded. It's not very well known but it is pretty okay. Relatively light-hearted as well.

Ashtar
2012-06-29, 10:12 AM
A list of those S&S anime not listed here yet...

Sisters of Wellber - Two girls (princess & thief) teaming up for world peace
Tower of Druaga - Climb the tower!
Tales of Symphonia - Based on the videogame
Tales of Eternia - A pretty standard S&S
Fushigi yugi - A girl from today arrives in a mysterious China
The Sacred Blacksmith - Not see it yet
Tales of the Abyss - Not seen it yet

Edit:
Claymore - Violent Sword with not much sorcery - Most probably too bloody but added to the list for completeness

SlayerScott
2012-06-29, 11:14 AM
Hayao Miyazaki's son Goro adapted Ursula K. LeGuin's "Earthsea" books into a movie. A neutral observer watched it with me and said "Wow, it's Japanese Skyrim: The Movie!" Might have been an oversimplification but it's got wizards, swords and dragons with Studio Ghibli quality animation.

Eldariel
2012-06-30, 03:51 PM
Magic Knight Rayearth was pretty enjoyable far as I'm concerned actually (first season is a JRPG parody, second is a bit darker); tended more towards the magic than the sword end of the spectrum but fundamentally it's still about a world of swordsmasters and magicians and the protagonists are eldritch knights.

Man on Fire
2012-06-30, 04:27 PM
Hayao Miyazaki's son Goro adapted Ursula K. LeGuin's "Earthsea" books into a movie. A neutral observer watched it with me and said "Wow, it's Japanese Skyrim: The Movie!" Might have been an oversimplification but it's got wizards, swords and dragons with Studio Ghibli quality animation.

Unless you're fan of the books - LeGuin considers the movie to be a betrayal and from what I gathered, most of fandom has similiar opinion about it.

Tengu_temp
2012-06-30, 05:02 PM
Hmm, tough deal here. I'd recommend Princess Mononoke but I'm pretty sure you saw that already, Claymore might be too dark (even if it is shonen), and Spice and Wolf and Twelve Kingdoms, while excellent shows, are slow-paced and focused on other things than your typical fantasy adventure.

I can't let this go without Ninja Scroll. It's not the eurocentric fantasy work you might be looking for at the moment, but it's a really great piece of work based in feudal Japan.

OVA or the series? Because if the OVA, then hoo boy... I advise against it. Too much creepy sex (most of which is rape, go figure) and ridiculous violence, even the non-sex parts are squicky at times (the bee guy still makes my skin itch), and the plot underneath all this is paper-thin and just an excuse to kill bad guys. It's how people who hate anime think all anime looks like.

If you're talking about the series, then I haven't watched it. But I heard it's inferior to the OVA, so I can't recommend that either.

Unless you're fan of the books - LeGuin considers the movie to be a betrayal and from what I gathered, most of fandom has similiar opinion about it.

She considers it a good movie in its own right, actually. Just not a good adaptation of her books.

turkishproverb
2012-06-30, 05:17 PM

Actually, that was her and the fandom's reaction to the SciFi Channel live action show. She considers the movie to be good in it's own right, if not a close "adaptation" of her work.

oblivion6
2012-07-01, 03:50 AM
i would say, the sacred blacksmith. i havent seen that much of it but i think it has a pretty good plot and the bits and pieces i saw certainly werent bad by any means

thubby
2012-07-01, 04:00 AM
basilisk is distinctly eastern in motif but probably qualifies. not great but it's decent and short. oh, it's rather dark, too.

anything from .hack is technically sci-fi (the premise is that it's a MMO that traps people in it and does weird stuff) but you spend 99.99% of the time in the fantasy world.

claymore. just watch it, it's good.

Feytalist
2012-07-02, 02:19 AM
Does Hunter X Hunter count?

The "sword" is almost nonexistent and the "sorcery" is really odd, but it's a perfectly serviceable fantasy series. The first part is, anyway. The last season gets a bit weird and dark. The OVA's, too.

Fri
2012-07-02, 02:53 AM
I actually agree that Vision of Escaflowne is one of those series that tries and/or manage to be both shoujo and shounen in the same time. It just... it got both part of the genres/demographic in the style and storytelling. I remember an anime site who recommended it when someone asked for recomendation for an anime that the questioner can watch with his girlfriend, when he exclusively watch shonen anime, and his girlfriend exclusively watch shoujo.

One anime that I haven't seen recommended is Tower of Druaga. It's nothing spectacular, basically a classic rpg fantasy anime, with characters you can almost see the classes in, and yeah, it's based on the old nintendo game. But still, it's a decent anime and I guess exactly what you had in mind.

I haven't actually watched a lot of it, but I must recommend any fantasy player or rpg player to watch the first episode, which is a parody and unrelated to the rest of the series.

No, seriously. Watch the first episode.

Man on Fire
2012-07-02, 05:13 AM
Actually, does Fate/Zero counts? It has both Sword and Sorcery and is devoid of refferencing game mechanics like rest of the series.

Prime32
2012-07-02, 07:07 AM
Actually, does Fate/Zero counts? It has both Sword and Sorcery and is devoid of refferencing game mechanics like rest of the series.Well you should read Fate/stay night first. (No, not the anime or manga)

Comet
2012-07-02, 07:37 AM
Well you should read Fate/stay night first. (No, not the anime or manga)

I have a friend who has zero knowledge of Fate/Stay Night and limited experience with anime in general and he enjoys Fate/Zero immensely. Take from that what you will. I feel like the show establishes the rules well enough that no outside knowledge is needed. Some aspects will get lost in the process, granted, but on the whole I feel the show works on its own. Kiritsugu is a boring protagonist anyway, everyone watches the show for Rider shenanigans.

It's all set in the modern world, though, so probably not what the OP is looking for. An ace show, though, definitely one of my favourites in a long time.

Deth Muncher
2012-07-02, 10:15 AM
I have a friend who has zero knowledge of Fate/Stay Night and limited experience with anime in general and he enjoys Fate/Zero immensely. Take from that what you will. I feel like the show establishes the rules well enough that no outside knowledge is needed. Some aspects will get lost in the process, granted, but on the whole I feel the show works on its own. Kiritsugu is a boring protagonist anyway, everyone watches the show for Rider shenanigans.

It's all set in the modern world, though, so probably not what the OP is looking for. An ace show, though, definitely one of my favourites in a long time.

I was wondering if the thread would go along with no one suggesting this.

As someone who just watched the anime and movie, but didn't read the VN or anything else about the series, I'd say it's pretty well lodged as a modern S&S kind of series. Not HIGH fantasy, but a mix between that and urban fantasy, anyway.

Ooooother than that, you already said Lodoss War, which I was going to suggest, and Slayers has been brought up, so that doesn't need to be repeated (except it does, but with the caveat of watch it in JP with Eng subs. Trust me, I don't care if you're a purist or not, Lisa Ortiz's voice is not worth it. She's a lovely lady, but her as Lena Inverse makes me cry tears of blood.).

For a kind of awkward one, I'm throwing Beet the Vandel Buster (Boku no Bito) at you - it's adapted from a manga that will probably never be finished, but it deals with a world pretty well plagued by demons, and the only people who can fight them are Busters, heroes who can materialize weapons out of spiritual energy, and most of them also know some elemental spells.

Prime32
2012-07-02, 10:37 AM

It's all set in the modern world, though, so probably not what the OP is looking for. An ace show, though, definitely one of my favourites in a long time.Well, apart from Fate/Zero spoiling almost every twist in Fate/stay night...
Fate/stay night is divided into three parts (the anime is based on the first, the movie covers the second but removes most of the plot), with the theme gradually shifting over time and the characters becoming more competent. Fate/Zero continues the progression from the last part. So if you go from Fate/Zero to Fate/stay night, the latter will seem much worse.

tl;dr - Fate/stay night is about naive "how do i shot web" teens growing into cunning badass adults. Fate/Zero starts with cunning badass adults, which makes the teens annoying if you're used to the adults already.

Man on Fire
2012-07-02, 01:21 PM
Well you should read Fate/stay night first. (No, not the anime or manga)

I'm not into Visual Novels and I already watched Fate/Zero, sorry :smalltongue:

PallElendro
2012-07-07, 01:12 AM
Tough to say. My first choice would probably be Fullmetal Alchemist, if you could transmutation as a sorcery.
Second, perhaps High School DXD. Careful, though. It has boobs. :wink:
Third, Slayers.

juicycaboose
2012-07-07, 04:40 AM
Fullmetal alchemist is very fantasy-esque, and the combat is really excellent

also I'm kinda surprised that nobody has suggested Fairy Tail yet, it's a pretty typical shounen but it's really fun, the comedy is mostly good and the action is great~

thubby
2012-07-07, 04:44 AM
Fullmetal alchemist is very fantasy-esque, and the combat is really excellent

also I'm kinda surprised that nobody has suggested Fairy Tail yet, it's a pretty typical shounen but it's really fun, the comedy is mostly good and the action is great~

there's a certain level of resentment towards it for being a one piece clone.

juicycaboose
2012-07-07, 04:45 AM
there's a certain level of resentment towards it for being a one piece clone.

I guess I can see where people are coming from with that, but they're both still good!

Also just to make sure if the OP does end up watching Fullmetal Alchemist make sure to watch Brotherhood, rather than the 2003 series~

Sith_Happens
2012-07-07, 05:33 AM
I guess I can see where people are coming from with that, but they're both still good!

Also just to make sure if the OP does end up watching Fullmetal Alchemist make sure to watch Brotherhood, rather than the 2003 series~

Or both, if not back-to-back (because that would be kind of confusing).

turkishproverb
2012-07-07, 06:01 AM

Why would you tell them to watch the worse of the two shows? :smallamused:

thubby
2012-07-07, 06:12 AM

i would say watch both. 03 first.
they're both good, and brotherhood rushes through the early parts.

juicycaboose
2012-07-07, 06:19 AM
i would say watch both. 03 first.
they're both good, and brotherhood rushes through the early parts.

Eh, I guess maybe the lack of some early explanation didn't bother me because i'd watched the 03 series before brotherhood, but the latter half of brotherhood is just far far better than that of 03.
In my opinion anyway! I guess the 'original' series is worth watching.

Yora
2012-07-07, 03:20 PM
Well, FMA does certainly have magic and bladed weapons, but I would consider it to be as far from S&S as fantasy can be.
Without having seen or read it, though. :smallamused:

Ohoho! I've just seen a few images of Tower of Druaga. I'm going to watch an episode or two right now. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Dafuq did I just watch? :smallsmile:

I think I'm going to love this. I only made half an episode so far and it is hilarious.
- After this fight I will return home and marry.
- Why are you telling me this right now?
- *blarg*

Or the woman get's grabbed by a tentacle monster.
- Wait, don't do anything!
- We have to save her.
- But wait a moment! Just watch!
- Why?
- Just a bit longer. This is starting to get good.
Not what I was looking for, but it entertains me greatly.

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-07-07, 05:00 PM
Well, FMA does certainly have magic and bladed weapons, but I would consider it to be as far from S&S as fantasy can be.

Uh, yeah. FMA is about as far from Sword & Sorcery you can get and still call yourself Fantasy.

AlterForm
2012-07-07, 06:06 PM
Ohoho! I've just seen a few images of Tower of Druaga. I'm going to watch an episode or two right now. :smallbiggrin:

I think I'm going to love this. I only made half an episode so far and it is hilarious.
- *blarg*

- We have to save her.
- Why?

Unfortunately, from what I remember, ToD switches tone pretty hard after the first episode. It goes from genre-parody farce to a more serious (but still fairly lighthearted) fantasy romp. IIRC, of course; it's been a while since I watched it.

Ashtar
2012-07-09, 09:20 AM

[...]

Hehe, I am happy to have infected yet another person with Tower watching. Glad it entertained you. :smallbiggrin:

nazgulnine
2012-07-09, 10:09 AM

- *blarg*

- We have to save her.
- Why?
Not what I was looking for, but it entertains me greatly.I have to second Tower of Druaga. Keep watching. :smallbiggrin: The first episode is a tease. Its all the main character's heroic wetdream while his traveling companions are literally saving his ass from being eaten in the real world. The end of the first and start of the second episode introduces the real storyline.

Spoilers being used for actual spoilers? Lupin!! Be mindful of the first episode's crazy dream, though. It pretty much summarizes the rest of the series. Like the part where Jil becomes an Evangelion-Lagann-Voltron? Yeah, look at the final episode, where he fights Neeba.

As for S&S recommendations, I don't watch many shows, but I do read a lot of the comics. A couple of recommendations I can give in that regard are:
-Legend of Maian (Korean, uses a lot of "our sheep are meeple" naming conventions. About the son of a legendary hero who releases his ancestor's nemesis from her prison)
-Immortal Regis (Korean, meeple again, and is one of those cross-dimensional fantasy-things you and I can agree we dislike)
-Cavalier of the Abyss (Sequel to Immortal Regis. Pretty good in that the whole cross-dimensional thing seems to have taken to the wayside.)
-Vinland Saga (Sword and Sandal. with Vikings during the Norman Conquest.)
-RAVE Master (Has an anime! However, the final battle is not in the anime. Very 'weird' and 'fun.' From the man who now brings you Fairy Tail)
-Id (lots of conventions like Immortal Regis, but nice if you're looking for something long-running... and I mean LONG. 200 chapters at 30+ pages each)
-Bastard!! (Has an anime! I know Berserk was mentioned, but I'm not sure if this was. Bastard has a HEAVY D&D feel to it)

Minor note, I would also argue that the new Thundercats counts as sword and sorcery (not saying the original didn't, but who can honestly sit through some of those voices? The bearbles were out to murder your children).

Yora
2012-07-10, 03:51 AM
I really like Tower of Druaga. But I wouldn't call the first episode radically different. Turned up to 200% maybe, but after that it's still close to Rune Soldier in the level of sillyness.
But I really like the visuals, it's like a better version of Record of Lodoss war, which despite all it's remarkable traits has just horrible plot writing. And it took about 10 seconds to hear the unmistakeable Valkyria Chronicles sound. That composer really likes that trumpet. :smallbiggrin:

Cen
2012-07-10, 04:54 AM
How about classic Tenchi Muyo? there's a lot of sworfights, magics, demons, spaceships, laserswords, romance, action, comedy, drama, evil science geniuses... well actually there's part of everything in it but it turns out surprisingly good

MLai
2012-07-10, 08:37 AM
I have a question help me remember this old 90's S&S anime:
I believe it's an OAV series from the 90's, and I've only ever seen the first episode... I'm going off fuzzy memory here...

(1) The protagonist is a male wild child/ feral child with long scraggly dirty-blonde hair.
(2) He awakes in an escape pod that has crash landed on a fantasy setting world. I think.
(3) The world made a memorable impression on me because it was Jpnese-fantasy-cyberpunk. Kind of like if a little bit of Shadowrun crashed into Lodoss.
(4) Some evil techno-wizard invades some kingdom. He flew around on some floating techno-chariot-UFO thing. He casted evil magic by a mix of magical runes and cyber-technology. I was pretty impressed.
(5) The protagonist boy jumps from a high point onto the wizard, stabbing him to death. That marks the end of eps.1.

Can anyone tell me what this show is? I've always wanted to finish watching it.:smallfrown:

Yora
2012-07-10, 08:46 AM
Arg! Sorry you two, that you have to be the ones to start this reply. Your participation is as wellcome as everyone elses.
But I titled the thread "Sword and Sorcery" specifically to keep it to works that match what I've been looking for and not have it end in a broad sweep of all fantasy. I know, the term is not particularly clear defined, but "some warriors of questionable ethics traveling a harsh world fighting wild beast, cultists, and evil wizards" really could stand up as a bare bones description.
Full Metal Alchemist with it's industrialized society and a strong modern military context certainly isn't that. And alien space pirates crashing at a real world guys house certainly aren't either! :smallamused:

Logic
2012-07-10, 07:42 PM
I'd say the single biggest anime in the genre your talking about is Slayers, which is honestly one of my favorites (though the first season does start out a little slow). Very good action/comedy shonen series based on western fantasy.

Normally, my starting disposition towards anime is HOSTILE. Slayers was GOOD. REALLY GOOD.

*Every Anime I have ever watched was recommended to me specifically because a friend said "well, you just aren't watching the good ones! Here, try this!
The ones I have liked I can count on one hand.

Stathis
2013-01-08, 09:05 PM
Sorry to re-animate a dead thread but are there any anime/shows similar to Record of Lodoss War OAV? With that kind of artwork (not the typical japanese with the funny faces and all) which was amazing, a real S&S series. I've watched Berserk, Claymore, Bastard!!, watching Tower of Druaga now. I loved every bit of RoLW and was hoping to find something similar as well.

oblivion6
2013-01-08, 09:15 PM
Sorry to re-animate a dead thread but are there any anime/shows similar to Record of Lodoss War OAV? With that kind of artwork (not the typical japanese with the funny faces and all) which was amazing, a real S&S series. I've watched Berserk, Claymore, Bastard!!, watching Tower of Druaga now. I loved every bit of RoLW and was hoping to find something similar as well.

Next time, I HIGHLY recomend asking a mod for permission to resurrect a thread or, better yet, starting a whole new thread. The moderators generally disapprove of thread-necromancy. I believe the only place its technically allowed is the homebrew design forum and even then its only the thread starter.

Terraoblivion
2013-01-08, 09:55 PM
Apart from that, I can't help but be amused that normal 90's fantasy anime and JRPG art isn't typically Japanese. I mean, except for not being bound to the graphics limitations of a 16-bit console the character designs in that show look straight out of Shining Force or some of the later Ys games. I'm actually kinda curious about what you do consider typically Japanese, Stathis.

MLai
2013-01-09, 01:03 AM
Sorry to re-animate a dead thread but are there any anime/shows similar to Record of Lodoss War OAV? With that kind of artwork.
Just to make sure you haven't missed it, but you know that RoLW has a few sequel series, right?

Chronicles Of The Heroic Knight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Record_of_Lodoss_War_episodes#Record_of_Lo doss_War:_Chronicles_of_the_Heroic_Knight)

Legend of Crystania (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_of_Crystania) Also has sequel OVAs.

Rune Soldier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rune_Soldier)

danzibr
2013-01-09, 10:10 AM
Someone already mentioned Fushigi Yuugi so I'm going to second it. Kind of shojo but very good. The main series anyway.

willpell
2013-01-09, 10:26 AM
I know Suikoden only from a single AMV, but to go by that much of a glimpse, it is most excellent. If you can stand to stretch a bit, I'd also add Escaflowne, which is mostly fantasy apart from containing giant robots (I think they're enchanted armor suits, but same difference). Magic Knight Rayearth and El-Hazzard might be too "anime-y" for you, but if not they're also candidates. I'm probably going too far once I suggest Shaman King.

Rising Phoenix
2013-01-09, 11:16 AM
Seconded. It's not very well known but it is pretty okay. Relatively light-hearted as well.

I'll echo sacred Princess. FMA Brotherhood is technically sword and sorcery as well.

To the list I'll add guardian of the sacred spirit- not so magical but plenty of fantasy in it. Also the animation is some of the best I've ever seen in a series: on par with Ghibli movies.

And The twelve kingdoms an excellent series with an amazing OST though the animation is on the low end of the scale.

Somewhere
2013-01-09, 12:24 PM
Note that for El Hazard, the OVA and TV series follow two timelines with a few significant differences. They're both worth watching, though.

For those who'd like a comedy with a villain protagonist, I recommend Gokudo.

Kitten Champion
2013-01-09, 03:02 PM
I would say Seirei no Moribito is indisputably the most rich and enjoyable Sword and Sorcery experience I've had in a visual medium.

Sith_Happens
2013-01-09, 10:34 PM
I can't think of any recommendations that haven't already been made, but I can say to stay far, far away from Tears to Tiara.

MLai
2013-01-10, 12:06 AM
I know Suikoden only from a single AMV, but to go by that much of a glimpse, it is most excellent.
It would be most excellent if it was an actual anime, rather than just a high-production animated intro to a video game. I would love to see an anime of Suikoden III, too. The opening music is Exceeding Love.

Let me know if I'm mistaken and that there is actually a Suikoden anime.

oblivion6
2013-01-10, 01:10 AM
It would be most excellent if it was an actual anime, rather than just a high-production animated intro to a video game. I would love to see an anime of Suikoden III, too. The opening music is Exceeding Love.

Oh gods, I loved that video. I have been known to turn on the game just to watch that over and over and over again. Would be awesome if there was an anime.

Maybe Konami will get right on that after those of us of the Suikoden Revival Movement force them to continue the series!:smalltongue:

Gettles
2013-01-10, 03:01 AM

No, there was a manga based on Suikoden 3 though.

JoshL
2013-01-10, 06:51 PM
speaking of video game anime, has anyone seen the Arc The Lad series (based on the 2nd game, I think)? Worth hunting down?

I wanted to like Sacred Blacksmith, but I only made it a couple episodes in. Should give it another shot, but it sorta annoyed me. Slayers is of course fantastic, and I enjoyed the first series of Orphen more than I thought I would (lost interest in the second though). But I'm a huge Lodoss fan. Once had a band called Narse, and while filling in for a friend's barbarian metal band, I did Beld's facepaint from the Lady of Pharis manga (possibly the geekiest thing I've ever done, more so because absolutely no one got it). Even with its faults (the OVA trying to cram the resurrection in, the tv series rehashing it, albeit done a little better, the awful, awful dubbing on the Welcome to Lodoss Island segments...) I still love it to death.

Somewhere
2013-01-10, 07:21 PM
Yes, the Arc the Lad anime is based on the 2nd game.

For the first half of the anime, it is actually rather faithful to the game. I really liked it. And the way the first half closes was perfect in spirit.

Elk strangles Mariel for the mercy kill, and this is all shown on screen. With Tosh, Arc, Gogen, Poco, and Lieza looking on.

Of course, it took 13 episodes to get to maybe the one quarter mark of the game. I feel like the staff realized this, as the second half is definitely compressed to give it an ending by ep 26. The ending pisses me off, for that matter. It ends on a note that is completely the opposite of the game's ending.

Arc and Kukuru SURVIVE. THEY FREAKING LIVE.
IIRC, the world didn't get utterly wrecked.
And Elk and Lieza get together.

Oh, Sania either never shows up at all, or made just one or two appearances, I don't remember which.. Gruga shows up for one scene or so. Diekbeck gets one scene. Shante gets a scene or two. Shu's gone for half the time at least.
So the anime was basically the Elk, Lieza, and Arc 1 crew show.

In a nutshell:
First half is faithful and pretty solid. Avoid the second half. In fact, if the anime just ended at ep 13, I would be happier.