PDA

View Full Version : Silence and Entangle spells

stenver1010
2012-06-28, 02:53 PM
Hei all, i am an old user in this forum who forgot his password. I have a few questions about spells, which we used in our previous game.

Silence:
When cast on a person, we had an argument. My player claimed that only the person casted on, gets a will save, if he succeeds, then silence is dispelled

I said that Silence stays no matter what, but everyone in the radius can attempt a 1 time will save to dispel the silence for himself.

Entangle:
This OP spell completely won the battle, with them getting only a total of 19 damage overall, even though i predicted, they are lucky if they will escape alive.

However, i later realized that this spells needs natural vegetation to work.

How much is sufficient natural vegetation for druid to be able to cast this spell?

Also, 1 side question about full-round-action. 1 player claimed that full attack is actually standard+ move action and full-round-action means that the action is completed at the start of your next turn. He is a 3.0 player, but we play 3.5.
I claim that full-round-action ends with your turn and is in princible the same that move+standard.

Also, registration is ***** how difficult on this site.

ericgrau
2012-06-28, 03:09 PM
Silence:
Only the target gets a save on silence. If you target on an unattended object or a point in space nobody gets a save. An ally works even better, though technically he gets a save if he wants. Yes this works very well, but you can often leave the field so it's not unstoppable.

Any defense that shuts down 1 type of attack sometimes rather than every type of attack all the time should be strong just to keep up. See also protection from evil (level 1) vs. dominate monster (level 9), and while nice it's not even that great of a spell.

Entangle:
By RAW any natural vegetation. Grass is plenty. By fluff the vegetation wraps around the character, so it would be reasonable to make it work accordingly. Tall grass would still be plenty. But a house plant might only entangle 1 creature near it and would be easier to break than what the spell says. Fortunately the spell leaves specific room for fudging based on the plants involved which prevents the ridiculous.

This is why every humanoid/monstrous humanoid/giant/etc. foe should have a backup ranged weapon, without exception. And multiple if it's a thrown weapon. It isn't just PCs with entangle, it's basic tactics for all kinds of circumstances.

In general try not to nerf things without good reason as it limits fun options. Only when something is so overpowering that it makes other weaker options much less viable should it be addressed.

Morcleon
2012-06-28, 03:24 PM
Anything that take a full-round action to complete is completed during your turn. It is equivalent to a move+standard.

Anything that takes "1 round" to complete (ie, summoning spells) generally use a full-round action as well, but come into effect just before the beginning of your next turn.

stenver1010
2012-06-28, 03:30 PM
Thank you for your help, all

Mari01
2012-06-28, 10:18 PM
Anything that take a full-round action to complete is completed during your turn. It is equivalent to a move+standard.

Anything that takes "1 round" to complete (ie, summoning spells) generally use a full-round action as well, but come into effect just before the beginning of your next turn.

Perhaps you can clear the air for me then. My group currently plays it so that if you summon a monster (summon monster X) it goes IMMEDIATELY after you. As in, you sacrifice your turn and then the monster goes. That's incorrect isn't it?

Morcleon
2012-06-28, 10:51 PM
Perhaps you can clear the air for me then. My group currently plays it so that if you summon a monster (summon monster X) it goes IMMEDIATELY after you. As in, you sacrifice your turn and then the monster goes. That's incorrect isn't it?

Technically, yes, that is incorrect. The monster should not go until right before your next turn. Although I think what your doing is a pretty common house rule (we do it too :smalltongue:), so it should be fine so long as your DM is okay with it.

Yahzi
2012-06-29, 07:55 AM
Entangle:
This OP spell completely won the battle
Ya, it does that.

Pretty soon the bad guys learn to wait until you're on a road, or in town, or in a dungeon, or a freshly plowed field, or they just burn all the vegetation off, or they cast it themselves.

I once had an encounter that consisted of the party and the bad guys throwing Entangles at each other until they ran out of spells, and then both sides retreated.