PDA

View Full Version : NEW Creatures!

Yora
2012-06-28, 03:57 PM
This thread is for open participation by everyone.

While working on creatures for my own homebrew setting and looking for unique monsters that make it stand out from other settings, I noticed that the many new creatures are really pretty much new interpretations of creatures I've seen somewhere else. And which those people did not come up by themselves either.

There's lots of making fun about the stupid monsters from the early editions of D&D, but you have to give it to them that they really tried to be creative. And it wasn't all bad, they did give us aboleths, beholders, illithids, and githyanki, which now really can stand on their own and are actually really cool. That's four out of probably four hundred, but still... It's the effort that counts. :smallbiggrin:
And some time ago I read a d20 monster book, I think Tome of Horrors or something like that, which I found really boring since out of the 200 creatures there were 90 "kinds of ghouls", 40 "demonic gorillas", and 30 "evil wolves". The same that seem to make up most of the Monster Manual 4 and 5 as well. :smallamused:

Yes, talk is cheap and easy, and try as I might, I can't pull it off either just like that. When I get something, I'll be sure to share it here, but in the meantime, I'd like to hear from other people which really new and unique creatures they have created, or even just what ideas are floating in your mind right now.
The most important thing is the concept I would say. Statt blocks for any kind of rules system are a big bonus, but not neccessary. Let's see what people got.

Yora
2012-06-28, 04:39 PM
Actually, I do have a couple ones that I had almost entirely forgotten, because they are only 95% original.

Swamp Strider

Swamp striders are a species of large crustaceans that resemble brown crabs with three pairs of legs that can be between four to six meters long. The body itself is less than a meter in length, giving the creatures a very slender and almost fragile looking appearance. Beneath the mouth is a fourth pair of small pincer legs, which are used to tear chunks out of killed prey for eating or to carry it to its nest, but are not used to fight and kill. Instead a swamp strider will use the front pair of legs like spears to impale their prey or any larger creatures that enter their territory. When they pin a target to the ground, they use the other front leg to stab it to death. The other four legs each end in four "toes", that help them from sinking deep into the mud. The legs of a swamp strider are extremely strong, making it very difficult to seriously injure it with melee weapons, as the main body can easily be kept out of reach of most enemies.
Swamp striders have two small eyes that are almost invisible from just a few meters away. They are placed in the front of the main body in a way that allows for a 240° field of view but also biocular sight in a smaller area of its front.

As their name suggest, swamp striders are at home in temperate wetlands where they can blend in with straight and narrow trees. When standing still in a copse of birches, they are almost impossible to detect even from a few meters away. While solitary creatures, multiple swamp striders often have overlapping territories and do not generally compete with each other. However, they tend to drive out or kill any other large predators like wolves or bears.
While they usually sleep standing upright, swamp striders usually have a fixed place to rest, often in locations that offer lots of camouflage and are also difficult to reach for other creatures.

Since the legs of a swamp strider are very durable, the best way to kill it is by targeting the underside of the main body. Unless one has polearms of sufficient length, the best tactic is to lure the creature into an area where it can't stand upright, like the mouths of caves or below trees with many large branches. Forced into a crouching position, a swamp strider also has a hard time using its spear legs effectively and they also have difficulty aiming at targets less them two meters from their face where they have a blind spot.
When hunting, swamp striders prefer to stalk their prey in areas with lots of water close to trees that it can use to hide. Larger swamp striders can run and fight without any difficulties in water more than two meters deep, giving them a large advantage over swiming creature and a way to escape in the rare cases they are losing.

Milo v3
2012-06-29, 04:11 AM
Acrosapien
Ancient Remnants of an arcane race, they are humanoids which are protected by a grim black exoskeleton. They have eight limbs, each ending in a clawed hand. They have the face and speed of spiders, they can leap great distances without danger. They have amazingly reflexes, greater than any normal mortal. In addition to the above they can climb along walls without effort, create poison from there fangs, spray web, merge with a weapon so that it can be summoned at will, mimic any sound they hear, sense those around them with their innate senses, and even form perfect disguises by devouring the corpses of the fallen.

They are the best assassins in the world, and they enjoy playing with there food.

Stats (Made by Bhu) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10150937&postcount=199)

Debihuman
2012-06-29, 04:29 AM
When I get something, I'll be sure to share it here, but in the meantime, I'd like to hear from other people which really new and unique creatures they have created, or even just what ideas are floating in your mind right now.

The most important thing is the concept I would say. Stat blocks for any kind of rules system are a big bonus, but not necessary. Let's see what people got.

It's a shame that you didn't like Tome of Horrors (at least the first one) since it's become a staple in gaming, mostly thanks to Paizo's heavy reliance on it for their Pathfinder game. However, it didn't have 30 ghouls or gorillas so perhaps you meant a different book. ToH took monsters from WotC's original books like the 2nd Ed. Fiend Folio and brought them into 3.0 and then revised it for 3.5. The newest edition for Pathfinder has been a tremendous seller.

I have to admit that many of my creations have been inspired by outside sources--books, movies and television. In the beginning, I was determined to prove that such adaptations could be made without sacrificing the rules. For the most part, I was successful.

I still haven't updated my 2nd edition Ravenloft material to 3.5 ; it's been a work in progress for almost a decade now. I have too much back story to put it all here, but every character has had to deal with significant loss or some horrific tragedy. Here is the coven of witches led by a warlock that I made for the setting,

There's Jordan Black (a 7th son of a 7th son, haunted his gypsy mother and his infant sibling ghosts), and his make-shift coven of witches:

his cursed girlfriend whose age and mental acuity vary depending on the cycle of the moon,
a half-selkie who lost her crew in a shipwreck,
a traumatized refugee from the shadowfey who spent her childhood as a changeling,
a blind artist (pottery) whose true love is trapped as a rock,
a non-native elven woman with her demonic lover,
and a werebear with more bad luck than any of them

The locals mostly disapprove of their lifestyle (and gossip that it's a cover for a brothel) and to top it off, the house is directly on on a ley line in Ravenloft, right on the border between two domains where bad things always happen.

Debby

Bhu
2012-06-29, 04:52 PM
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?board=60.0

peek through my threads here, I have some stuff you might like. I also take requests if you have soemthing in mind.

Zaydos
2012-06-29, 07:51 PM
Well here are some of my old creatures I never posted. Don't know if they're unique enough, but here's hoping. Warning the stat blocs are in the MMIV format and need some work on bolding since I copied and pasted them from a word doc, and are about 6 years old and my understanding of balance has changed since then (I played no optimization back then). The other critters in it aren't that unique (dragons, golems, beholder-kin, barbaric offshoots of illithids, elementals, etc).

Archeasline:
Strange and terrifying creatures, the archeasline are beings made up of thousands of smaller creatures each individually non-sentient. The Archeasline are powerful and fearsome creatures. Amorphous in form and shape they have two forms, a humanoid form in which their body is held tightly together and a form in which they loosen the bonds and allow their body to become an ooze-like shape in which they can squeeze through almost any space.
The Archeasline once dwelt deep below the surface of the 4th World but since the Shattering of the Illithid Empire they have risen to the surface and now battle the illithids on an equal footing.

Stats
Archeasline Myrmidon CR 5
Always LE Large Aberration (Psionic, Fire)
Init: +4; Senses darkvision 60-ft; Listen +6, Spot +5
Languages: Archean
AC 14 (+4 natural), t 10, FF 14;
hp 51 (6 HD); DR 5/-
Immune: Fire, Mind-Affecting Effects, Flanking, Critical Hits (Amorphous)
Weaknesses: Cold
Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +6
Speed 30-ft
Melee 2 slams +9 (1d8+6 and Vital Rend)
Space 10-ft; Reach 10-ft
Base Atk +4; Grp +14
Attack Options: Vital Rend
Special Actions: Change to Swarm Form
Psi-Like Abilities (CL 6): 3/day Energy Burst (Fire Only) [6d6+6, Ref DC 11 halves)
Abilities Str 23, Dex 10, Con 17, Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 6
Feats Ability Focus (Vital Rend), Improved Toughness, Improved Initiative
Skills: Spot +5, Listen +6.
Special Qualities: Swarm Form
Advancement: 7-12 HD (large), 13-18 HD (huge)
Swarm Form (Ex): An Acheasline Myrmidon can assume the form of a swarm of diminutive creatures. In this form it gains the swarm subtype, and follows rules as a swarm. Its AC becomes 14 but it loses its DR. It gains immunity to weapon damage and a swarm attack dealing 2d6 damage. In addition to the distraction ability any creature damaged by the swarm attack also suffers from Vital Rend (see below).
In its swarm form much of it are diminutive sized single-celled creatures (which make them biologically impossible in size), although some portions are fine sized and microscopic.
Vital Rend (Ex): Any creature hit by an Acheasline Myrmidon’s slam or swarm attack takes 1 point of Constitution damage as microscopic organisms from the Myrmidon’s body devour their cells. A successful Fort save DC 18 negates this damage.

Archeasline CR 4
Always LE Medium Aberration (Psionic, Fire)
Init: +2; Senses darkvision 60-ft; Listen +2, Spot +2
Languages: Archean, Aberration, Ignan, Infernal
AC 17 (+2 Dex, +5 inertial armor), t 12, FF 15;
hp 39 (6 HD); DR 5/-
Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +8
Speed 40-ft (30-ft if not focused), swim 10-ft
Melee 2 slams +4 (1d4 and Vital Rend)
Space 5-ft; Reach 5-ft
Base Atk +4; Grp +4
Psionic Powers (as 3rd Level Egoist):
• PP: 15 (-3 from Inertial Armor)
• Powers Known: Inertial Armor, Thicken Skin, Crystal Shard, Dissipating Touch, Primal Fear. Crystalstorm, Animal Affinity
Spell Casting (as 3rd Lv Wizard; does not require a spellbook)
• 0: Detect Magic x2, Ghost Sound, Read Magic
• 1st: Shield, Magic Missile x2
• 2nd: Fireburst (3d8, DC 15), False Life (1d10+2 temp hp)
Abilities Str 11, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 17, Wis 16, Cha 17
Feats Ability Focus (Vital Rend), Overchannel, Speed of Thought
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) +12, Knowledge (Psionics) +12, Concentration +11, Psicraft +14, Spellcraft +14.
Advancement: by character class
Swarm Form (Ex): An Acheasline can assume the form of a swarm of fine creatures. In this form it gains the swarm subtype, and follows rules as a swarm. Its AC becomes 25 but it loses its DR. It gains immunity to weapon damage and a swarm attack dealing 1d6 damage. In addition to the distraction ability any creature damaged by the swarm attack also suffers from Vital Rend (see below).
In its swarm form much of it are fine sized single-celled creatures (which make them biologically impossible in size), although some portions are microscopic.
Vital Rend (Ex): Any creature damaged by an Acheasline’s slam or swarm attack takes 2 point of Constitution damage as microscopic organisms from the Acheasline’s body devour their cells. A successful Fort save DC 15 negates this damage.

Archeasline Noble CR 13
Always LE Large Aberration (Psionic, Fire)
Init: +7; Senses darkvision 60-ft; Listen +2, Spot +2
Languages: Archean, Draconic, Ignan, Aberrant, Infernal, Terran, Grell
AC 22 (-1 size, +8 inertial armor, +3 Dex, +2 natural), t 12, FF 19;
hp 126 (12 HD); DR 5/-
Fort +10, Ref +7, Will +14
Speed 40-ft, swim 30-ft
Melee 2 slams +13 (1d6 and Vital Rend)
Space 10-ft; Reach 10-ft
Base Atk +9; Grp +17
Psi-like Abilities (CL 9): At will: Inertial Armor, Crystal Shard.
Psionic Powers (as 9th Level Egoist with access to the Shaper power list as well):
• PP: 99
• 1st: Thicken Skin, Astral Construct, Energy Ray, Force Screen, Defensive Precognition
• 2nd: Animal Affinity, Swarm of Crystals, Crystalstorm, Energy Emanation
• 3rd: Concealing Amorpha, Mental Barrier, Telekinetic Thrust, Energy Burst
• 4th: Metamorphosis, Burrowing Bonds, Energy Adaptation, Ectoplasmic Swarm
• 5th: Hail of Crystals, Psychofeedback
Spell-like Abilities (CL 9): At will: Arcane Sight; 3/day: Dimension Door; 1/day: Greater Fireburst (DC 21, 9d10)
Spell Casting (as 9th Lv Wizard; does not require a spellbook)
• 0: Ghost Sound x2, Read Magic x2
• 1st: Magic Missile x3, Lesser Orb of Acid x2, Alarm
• 2nd: Fireburst (5d8, DC 18), False Life (1d10+9 temp hp), Scorching Ray (2 rays, +11 ranged touch), Blur, See Invisibility, Invisibility
• 3rd: Scintillating Sphere x2 (DC 19, 9d6), Chain Missile (4 missiles), Mind Poison.
• 4th: Greater Invisibility, Orb of Cold (+11 rt, 9d6), Orb of Acid (+11 rt, 9d6)
• 5th: Greater Fireburst (DC 21, 9d10), Anticold Sphere
Abilities Str 18, Dex 17, Con 22, Int 23, Wis 22, Cha 23
Feats Ability Focus (Vital Rend), Overchannel, Improved Initiative, Maximize Power, Psionic Meditation
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) +21, Knowledge (Psionics) +21, Concentration +21, Psicraft +23, Spellcraft +23, Bluff +21, Sense Motive +23, Diplomacy +25.
Swarm Form (Ex): An Acheasline Noble can assume the form of a swarm of fine creatures. In this form it gains the swarm subtype, and follows rules as a swarm. Its AC becomes 30 but it loses its DR. It gains immunity to weapon damage and a swarm attack dealing 3d6 damage. In addition to the distraction ability any creature damaged by the swarm attack also suffers from Vital Rend (see below).
In its swarm form much of it are fine sized single-celled creatures (which make them biologically impossible in size), although some portions are microscopic.
Vital Rend (Ex): Any creature damaged by an Acheasline’s slam or swarm attack takes 3 points of Constitution damage as microscopic organisms from the Acheasline’s body devour their cells. A successful Fort save DC 24 reduces this damage to 1 point of Con damage.

Archeasline Liege CR 18
Always LE Fine Aberration (Psionic, Fire, Swarm; double sized swarm)
Init: +3; Senses darkvision 60-ft; Listen +2, Spot +2
Languages: Archean, Aberration, Infernal, Common, Low Pnakostic, Draconic, Ignan, Grell
AC 34 (+8 size, +13 inertial armor, +3 Dex), t 21, FF 31;
hp 225 (18 HD); immune to weapon damage
Fort +14, Ref +9, Will +19
Speed 40-ft, swim 50-ft
Melee Swarm (4d6 damage and vital rend)
Space 20-ft; Reach 0-ft
Base Atk +13; Grp -
Attack Options: Vital Rend, Distraction
Psi-like Abilities (CL 18): At will: Inertial Armor, Crystal Shard.
Psionic Powers (as 15th Level Egoist with access to the Shaper power list as well):
• PP: 262
• 1st: Thicken Skin, Astral Construct, Energy Ray, Force Screen, Defensive Precognition
• 2nd: Animal Affinity, Swarm of Crystals, Crystalstorm, Energy Emanation
• 3rd: Concealing Amorpha, Mental Barrier, Telekinetic Thrust, Energy Burst
• 4th: Metamorphosis, Burrowing Bonds, Energy Adaptation, Ectoplasmic Swarm
• 5th: Hail of Crystals, Psychofeedback, Psionic True Seeing, Power Resistance
• 6th: Psionic Restoration, Stygian Bolt, Temporal Acceleration
• 7th: Fission, Insanity, Ultrablast
• 8th: True Metabolism
Spell-like Abilities (CL 18): At will: Arcane Sight; 3/day: Dimension Door; 1/day: Greater Fireburst (DC 21, 9d10)
Spell Casting (as 15th Lv Wizard; does not require a spellbook)
• 0: Ghost Sound x2, Read Magic x2
• 1st: Magic Missile x4, Lesser Orb of Acid x2, Alarm
• 2nd: Fireburst (5d8, DC 18), False Life (1d10+9 temp hp), Scorching Ray (2 rays, +11 ranged touch), Blur, See Invisibility, Invisibility
• 3rd: Scintillating Sphere x3 (DC 22, 10d6), Chain Missile x2 (9 missiles), Mind Poison.
• 4th: Spell Suppression Field, Greater Invisibility, Orb of Cold x2 (+24 rt, 15d6), Orb of Acid x2 (+24 rt, 15d6)
• 5th: Greater Fireburst x2 (DC 24, 15d10), Anticold Sphere x2, Channeled Lifetheft (5d4 damage, exhausts, and gains 10+damage temp hp when cast as a full-round action) x2.
• 6th: 4 Lingering Flames, Karmic Retribution, Wall of Gears,
• 7th: Energy Immunity, Choking Cobwebs, Choking Cobwebs
• 8th: Flensing, Lightning Ring
Abilities Str 18, Dex 17, Con 26, Int 29, Wis 26, Cha 27
Feats Ability Focus (Vital Rend), Overchannel, Improved Initiative, Maximize Power, Psionic Meditation, Eschew Components (B), Quicken Power, Ability Focus (Distraction)
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) +30, Knowledge (Psionics) +30, Concentration +29, Psicraft +32, Spellcraft +32, Bluff +29, Sense Motive +31, Diplomacy +33, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +30, Knowledge (the Planes) +30, Knowledge (History) +30.
Vital Rend (Ex): Any creature damaged by an Acheasline’s slam or swarm attack takes 4 points of Constitution damage as microscopic organisms from the Acheasline’s body devour their cells. A successful Fort save DC 29 halves this damage.
Distraction (Ex): DC 29 Fort save versus becoming nauseated for 1 round each round within its area.

Tzorvalki: A race of creatures native to the Fourth World the tzorvalki are aerial predators. Flying through means similar to those of a beholder, although they are capable of greater speed due to an ability to pull air through special vents in their armor, pressurize it and fire it forth behind them. They resemble crabs in the fact that they have hard chitin armor, and cilia. Their mouths are covered with small tentacles which have a limited ability to grab objects from their hands and feed them into their mouths. Unlike crustaceans they live lives fully above water, living continuously in the air, and have long tails ending in poisonous stingers. They are used sometimes by illithids and other inhabitants of the Fourth World as hunting beasts but in the wild will willingly attack human or mind flayer. They are semi-sentient, with slightly above animal intelligence, but for the most part they act like wild animals. Those trained by the illithids can understand and speak simple words and sentences in Aberrant and tend towards a Neutral Evil alignment. No recorded Tzorvalki has ever had the good alignment.

Stats
Tzorvalki CR 6
Usually N Medium Aberration (Psionic)
Init: +5; Senses darkvision 120-ft, low-light vision; Listen +6, Spot +15
Languages: None (Aberrant)
AC 20, t 11, FF 19; (+1 Dex, +9 natural)
hp 44 (8 HD)
Resist: Cold 5; SR 13
Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +7; +4 vs Poison and Mind-Affecting Effects
Speed 10-ft, fly 60-ft (good); Jet
Melee 2 claws +11 (1d8+5) and sting +6 (1d4+2 and poison)
Space 5-ft; Reach 5-ft
Base Atk +6; Grp +11
Attack Options: Improved Grab, Constrict (1d8+5), Poison
Special Actions: Jet
Psi-Like Abilities (CL 8): 3/day: Concussive Blast (one target 3d6, 2 targets 2d6, or 3 targets 1d6)
Abilities Str 21, Dex 12, Con 15, Int 4, Wis 12, Cha 6
Feats Great Fortitude, Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Weapon (Claw).
Skills: Spot +15, Listen +6.
Special Qualities: Flight, Jet
Advancement: 9-12 HD (medium), 13-20 HD (large)
Flight (Ex): A tzorvalki flies via lighter than air gases inside its body; it is also capable of sucking in and compressing air then shooting it out in the opposite direction for speed.
Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability a tzorvalki must hit a small or smaller creature with a claw attack. If it gets hold it may constrict.
Jet (Ex): As a full round action a tzorvalki can jet forward by sucking in and firing out air. It may move at x8 normal flight speed but only straight forward.
Poison (Ex): Sting, Initial damage 1d6 Con, Secondary damage Blindness for 2d4 minutes; Fort save DC 16 negates each time.
Skills: Tzorvalki gain a +8 racial bonus on Spot checks.

Tzorvalki, Ground
An off-branch of the tzorvalki, these creatures more closely resemble scorpions or crabs than their aerial cousins. Like tzorvalki they have a pair of cilia and a scorpion’s stinger, but they also have twelve legs and a series of spikes upon their back. Unlike their aerial kin they do not rely on vision, instead sensing vibrations in the air via several small “hairs” along their bodies. They are larger and more ferocious than the more common tzorvalki and are sometimes ridden by aberrant warriors, although the breaking and domination of a ground tzorvalki is a difficult feat. A final improvement compared to their aerial kin is the ability to fire forth a spray of digestive acid.

Stats.
Ground Tzorvalki CR 9
Usually N Medium Aberration (Psionic)
Init: +0; Senses darkvision 60-ft, blindsight 60-ft; Listen +8, Spot +8
Languages: None (Aberrant)
AC 22, t 9, FF 22; (-1 size, +13 natural)
hp 93 (11 HD)
SR 16
Fort +9, Ref +3, Will +8; +4 vs Poison and Mind-Affecting Effects
Speed 30-ft, burrow 10-ft
Melee 2 claws +15 (2d6+8) and sting +10 (1d6+4 and poison)
Space 10-ft; Reach 5-ft (10-ft with claws)
Base Atk +8; Grp +20
Attack Options: Improved Grab, Constrict (2d6+8), Poison
Special Actions: Breath Weapon
Psi-Like Abilities (CL 11): 3/day: Concussive Blast (one target 5d6, 2 targets 4d6, 3 targets 3d6, 4 targets 2d6, or 5 targets 1d6)
Abilities Str 27, Dex 10, Con 19, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 6
Feats Ability Focus (Breath Weapon, Poison), Great Fortitude, Improved Natural Weapon (Claw).
Skills: Spot +8, Listen +8.
Advancement: 12-19 HD (large), 20-27 HD (huge), 28+ HD (gargantuan).
Breath Weapon (Su): A cone of acid 30-ft long dealing 4d8 damage, Ref DC 21 halves; once it has used this ability it must wait 1d4+2 rounds before using it again.
Improved Grab (Ex): With claw against medium or smaller creatures.
Poison (Ex): Sting, Initial Damage 1d6 Con, Secondary 1d4 Con and Blindness for 1d4x10 minutes; Fort DC to resist 21.

Grimsage Matt
2012-06-29, 07:56 PM
Why has nobody ever made a Pug Monster:smallconfused: Just wondering. I'll look through me notes, had three lines of.... strange little things.

Garrus
2012-06-30, 12:31 AM
How about a giant free-floating Hand (lacking a pinkie) wreathed in about 10-15 flying tentacles (like snakes) covered in hooks that snake through the air between it's fingers and under it's palm, occasionally dipping low enough to the skin to rip out part of the skin and spray it's acidic blood on everything nearby. It has regeneration, of course, so these wounds close as fast as they are opened. It's main attack is to, being a hand, float towards something and grab hold of it, then allowing the hooked tentacles to dig into the flesh of whatever is being held and rip out body parts, dealing massive damage. I call it a "Tenuilokk."

Or a race of bipedal creatures who lack heads, instead having two bony eye stalks curving up from just behind their mouth. Their mouth, however, is a vertical gash starting about where our sternum ends and ending towards where our spine begins. This gash would be filled with very sharp spike-like teeth, and in order to talk in their native language, they have to send out their dozen or so tongues out to writhe in the air and form the various slapping and slithering sounds that make up their speech. It's possible for them to also speak other languages, but to do so, they have to calmly control their tongues and shape them into artificial throats, exhaling through the passage and contracting them like vocal chords as necessary. Thus it's very tiresome for them to speak in any language other than their own. They would also possess tails ending in club-like appendages and several pairs of pseudo-arms, which they keep hidden under their armor. Coloration would be yellow-green, with more yellow in the bony parts of their body and more green in the skinny parts of their body. I call them "The Gersh."

Bhu
2012-06-30, 09:48 AM
Why has nobody ever made a Pug Monster:smallconfused: Just wondering. I'll look through me notes, had three lines of.... strange little things.

I do have a Dire Pug somewhere...