PDA

View Full Version : Getting Access to Body Outside Body

bigstipidfighte
2012-06-28, 05:56 PM
A recent TO thread brought this 7th level Wu Jen spell (Oriental Adventures p.98) to my attention, and I think it would be a great way to get Shadow Clone in the Naruto-fluffed 3.5 game I'm in. My character is a Truenamer, and because of the setting magic items are pretty much out.

So without magic items, how would I get access to BOB with a truenamer? What about another class?

Urpriest
2012-06-28, 06:01 PM
What is the DM using instead of Magic Items?

As a Truenamer, you're pretty much stuck with what you're given. There aren't really any Truenamer abilities that let them access things from other creatures or classes. At best you'll be able to get these sorts of things from monsters you Gate in once you can use Gate.

eggs
2012-06-28, 06:05 PM
If you're playing a Truenamer without magic items, should we assume it's not the Tome of Magic version? If it's not, details would help.

If it is the ToM version, is this level 20+ or 19-? Gate changes everything.

The classes with the easiest access are Wu Jen [obviously], Artificer and Spell-to-Power Erudite, in about that order.

bigstipidfighte
2012-06-28, 06:37 PM
It is the ToM version, but the DM agreed to give it the fix of Dcs going up by CR instead of CRx2. Also, we're starting at level 1, sorry I forgot to mention that.

As for replacing magic items... we(DM and players) don't see much of a need to. Because of the setting, the vast majority of fights will be against other humainoids with class levels. No magic armor will hopefully be balanced out by no magic weapons, no casting stat boosts with no cloaks of resistance, etc. Of course, I'd expect a limited number of magic items to appear(as such things existed in Naruto) but not with the prevalence of vanilla D&D.

Psyren
2012-06-29, 06:22 AM
Without magic items or homebrew you're stuck, none of the listed utterances do this except maybe Gate (as was mentioned.)

strider24seven
2012-06-29, 07:47 AM
So here's the secret for how you get Body Outside Body with a Truenamer without magic items:

Take 15 levels of Wu Jen

Mithril Leaf
2012-06-29, 08:10 AM
So here's the secret for how you get Body Outside Body with a Truenamer without magic items:

Take 15 levels of Wu Jen

This is pretty much the fastest way to do it. Either that, or wait till 20 for gate.

Madara
2012-06-29, 01:18 PM
Is there any way an Archevist could gain access to BoB? I'll look for a domain, I'm betting on it being a no, but I figure its worth looking into.

eggs
2012-06-29, 01:21 PM
Make friends with a Wu Jen with Geomancer levels or Alternate Spell Source?

Psyren
2012-06-29, 01:29 PM
Miracle also gets it (for free to boot.)

Urpriest
2012-06-29, 01:31 PM
Is there any way an Archevist could gain access to BoB? I'll look for a domain, I'm betting on it being a no, but I figure its worth looking into.

Sort of. OA Shamans get it on Hero Domain.

Douglas
2012-06-29, 01:44 PM
As for replacing magic items... we(DM and players) don't see much of a need to. Because of the setting, the vast majority of fights will be against other humainoids with class levels. No magic armor will hopefully be balanced out by no magic weapons, no casting stat boosts with no cloaks of resistance, etc. Of course, I'd expect a limited number of magic items to appear(as such things existed in Naruto) but not with the prevalence of vanilla D&D.
No magic weapons might cancel with no magic armor, but that still leaves no Rings of Protection, no Amulets of Natural Armor, and no magic shields all with nothing to balance their lack. Magic items are almost the only way AC scales with level in D&D and there are several more AC boosts from magic items than attack boosts from magic items. Simply removing magic items without doing anything to compensate for it means high level characters will never miss, even when targeting other high level characters, because attack bonuses scale with level even without magic items but AC does not.

eggs
2012-06-29, 01:45 PM
Sort of. OA Shamans get it on Hero Domain.

That's Giant Size

Urpriest
2012-06-29, 02:00 PM
That's Giant Size

Ah my mistake. I just assumed it was Giant Size being asked about.

Mithril Leaf
2012-06-29, 05:56 PM
Ah my mistake. I just assumed it was Giant Size being asked about.

DAMN IT UR-PRIEST, STOP BEING WRONG! Seriously, you're making me look bad. I'm supposed to be your supporter. Remember that you're always right.