PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Items

SowZ
2012-06-28, 10:06 PM
How would you peg the values of these magic items?

Sunbow- A +2 longbow that, if it hits the target, fires a second arrow of pure light that deals energy damage equal to the damage rolled on the d8.

Reaper Dagger- A +1 dagger that adds to the DC of a death attack equal to the highest damage rolled on any of the sneak attack dice the player rolls.

Wave Sword- A +2 short sword that can function normally or, instead of doing normal damage, do 1d4 damage to everyone directly in front of the swinger AND anyone to the left or right of that target and must make a strength check at DC of the attack roll or be pushed back 10 feet. (The enhancement bonus is not added to the damage of this d4, and neither is the strength mod of the wielder, but the d4 damage is dealt on any attack roll except for a 1.)

Yitzi
2012-06-28, 10:26 PM
The sunbow's ability is substantially more powerful than flaming or frost (due to not using a resistable energy type and doing slightly more damage), but not extremely so; I'd say make the sunbow a +4-equivalent weapon (32375 cost, or more if it's composite).

The dagger is similar to an assassin's dagger but a bit under 6 times the strength; the ability of an assassin's dagger is +1 equivalent, so make this +5 equivalent (as the specialized use does justify a bit of a cost reduction) for a total of a +6-equivalent weapon (72302 cost).

The wave sword is trickier. It's essentially a 15' wide line, but the damage is low, but a STR check against an attack roll is very difficult to make, and pushing can be powerful if used right; I'd estimate a +5-equivalent weapon (50310 cost) if the wave stops after 100' or less (so someone directly in front of the swinger but 110' away would be unaffected), or a +6-equivalent weapon (72310 cost) if it goes for a substantially longer distance. If it goes for any distance, it should be an artifact.

SowZ
2012-06-28, 10:36 PM
The sunbow's ability is substantially more powerful than flaming or frost (due to not using a resistable energy type and doing slightly more damage), but not extremely so; I'd say make the sunbow a +4-equivalent weapon (32375 cost, or more if it's composite).

The dagger is similar to an assassin's dagger but a bit under 6 times the strength; the ability of an assassin's dagger is +1 equivalent, so make this +5 equivalent (as the specialized use does justify a bit of a cost reduction) for a total of a +6-equivalent weapon (72302 cost).

The wave sword is trickier. It's essentially a 15' wide line, but the damage is low, but a STR check against an attack roll is very difficult to make, and pushing can be powerful if used right; I'd estimate a +5-equivalent weapon (50310 cost) if the wave stops after 100' or less (so someone directly in front of the swinger but 110' away would be unaffected), or a +6-equivalent weapon (72310 cost) if it goes for a substantially longer distance. If it goes for any distance, it should be an artifact.

Hmmm, yeah, that helps with the first two. The wave sword actually only has a range of thirty feet, I forgot to mention that. I gave both the wave sword and sunbow to a ranger to save a tower of elves from an invading army, (he is decent at both melee and archery,) and the dagger to the assassin for becoming the lead assassin of a drow order. My hope was that they were both getting a fairly equivalent deal.

Knowing more about the sword, how would you peg it?

TuggyNE
2012-06-28, 11:36 PM
Sunbow- A +2 longbow that, if it hits the target, fires a second arrow of pure light that deals energy damage equal to the damage rolled on the d8.

If the second arrow auto-hits or makes a touch attack, this is basically a decent +2-equivalent. If it requires another regular attack roll, it's either a very strong +1 or a very weak +2.

However, if the ability can be applied to other ranged weapons, size increases are going to make this absurd. Example: EWP (greatbow), Zen Archery, Psychic Warrior, Half-Giant's Powerful Build, and expansion combine to form the Archer of Doom.

Reaper Dagger- A +1 dagger that adds to the DC of a death attack equal to the highest damage rolled on any of the sneak attack dice the player rolls.

This is kind of a large bonus, although I'm not sure it's worth a +5. It's hard to bring it below +4 by any means, though.

Wave Sword- A +2 short sword that can function normally or, instead of doing normal damage, do 1d4 damage to everyone directly in front of the swinger AND anyone to the left or right of that target and must make a strength check at DC of the attack roll or be pushed back 10 feet. (The enhancement bonus is not added to the damage of this d4, and neither is the strength mod of the wielder, but the d4 damage is dealt on any attack roll except for a 1.)

I would adjust this to have a more consistent DC, but it's not too bad I guess; it's a lot like a trimmed-down but harder to resist gust of wind plus min-CL burning hands. So it's probably a +2 or +3 ability.
Also, you should probably change its description to mention that it's a 30' cone.

Yitzi
2012-06-29, 10:02 AM
Knowing more about the sword, how would you peg it?

Still better make it +5-equivalent, simply because a nearly irresistable push ability is very strong. But if you make it an opposed strength check instead of a strength check with a DC equal to the attack roll, then you can probably knock it down to +3.

Spiryt
2012-06-29, 10:19 AM
Is Reaper Sword ability seriously worth that much??

Death attack is still very, very situational attack, and it can easily add some rather meh +3 to DC....

Djinn_in_Tonic
2012-06-29, 10:37 AM

Death attack is still very, very situational attack, and it can easily add some rather meh +3 to DC....

Or a rather potent +6, given how many Sneak Attack dice a Rogue rolls. At 10d6 dice, there's an EXTREMELY high chance that you roll at least one 6, making the base DC at level 20 DC 26 + Intelligence modifier, which is rather high.

Personally, I don't think it's that powerful...but I do think it's going to be bad for gameplay. You can't price it high or no one will take it because of how specific it is, and you can't price it low because it's so good for those who want it. I think it's a problematic design, personally.

SowZ
2012-06-29, 11:59 PM
If the second arrow auto-hits or makes a touch attack, this is basically a decent +2-equivalent. If it requires another regular attack roll, it's either a very strong +1 or a very weak +2.

However, if the ability can be applied to other ranged weapons, size increases are going to make this absurd. Example: EWP (greatbow), Zen Archery, Psychic Warrior, Half-Giant's Powerful Build, and expansion combine to form the Archer of Doom.

This is kind of a large bonus, although I'm not sure it's worth a +5. It's hard to bring it below +4 by any means, though.

I would adjust this to have a more consistent DC, but it's not too bad I guess; it's a lot like a trimmed-down but harder to resist gust of wind plus min-CL burning hands. So it's probably a +2 or +3 ability.
Also, you should probably change its description to mention that it's a 30' cone.

It is an auto hit, but extra precision damage or anything doesn't apply to the second arrow. Even weapon specialization and the like don't apply to it. Basically, you add untyped energy damage to the attack of whatever the die roll of the d8 was.

30' cone is much simpler, yeah.

Still better make it +5-equivalent, simply because a nearly irresistable push ability is very strong. But if you make it an opposed strength check instead of a strength check with a DC equal to the attack roll, then you can probably knock it down to +3.

I suppose, yeah, or maybe just a flat DC that most things will fail but something that has 30 Str or so can pass with some ease.

Yeah, that is true. But at higher levels it will usually add at least +5 or so and often +6.

Or a rather potent +6, given how many Sneak Attack dice a Rogue rolls. At 10d6 dice, there's an EXTREMELY high chance that you roll at least one 6, making the base DC at level 20 DC 26 + Intelligence modifier, which is rather high.

Personally, I don't think it's that powerful...but I do think it's going to be bad for gameplay. You can't price it high or no one will take it because of how specific it is, and you can't price it low because it's so good for those who want it. I think it's a problematic design, personally.

It adds a +6 pretty often, yeah. It isn't something with a price, actually, it is a unique weapon handed down to the top assassin of a Drow order of assassins. Plus the rogue in our group is a little underpowered.

Siosilvar
2012-06-30, 11:46 AM

Even with 4 sneak attack dice it's adding +6 to the DC over half the time. With 7, you've got a less than 1% chance to not add at least four.

It is situational, but it's also a huge DC boost. I agree with Djinn's analysis.